• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Folks can hate all they like but I definitely stocked up on a bunch of stuff for me and the GF two weeks ago. Food for probably 2 months, medicine and a bunch of sanitizer and cleaning supplies. I'd rather spend and not need than get caught flat footed.

At work, we've been working hard to get everything ready for the entire work force to work remotely for at least a month. That's for a few thousand ppl in our NYC offices. We've sent ppl home indefinitely if they've been to any of the known "infected" countries. I've had Asian friends harassed and discriminated against, which sucks and will get worse. If someone coughs on the subway, ppl look at them like they have the plague. There's a lot of ignorance going around. Not gonna be fun if this thing gets loose in nyc.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks can hate all they like but I definitely stocked up on a bunch of stuff for me and the GF two weeks ago. Food for probably 2 months, medicine and a bunch of sanitizer and cleaning supplies. I'd rather spend and not need than get caught flat footed.

At work, we've been working hard to get everything ready for the entire work force to work remotely for at least a month. That's for a few thousand ppl in our NYC offices. We've sent ppl home indefinitely if they've been to any of the known "infected" countries. I've had Asian friends harassed and discriminated against, which sucks and will get worse. If someone coughs on the subway, ppl look at them like they have the plague. There's a lot of ignorance going around. Not gonna be fun if this thing gets loose in nyc.

I'm actually curious if a lot of people are forced to stay home what that might do for internet bandwidth issues.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I was just thinking ... being on that cruise ship, the princes, and having to deal with a sickness killing people and effecting everyone onboard. Well
More so that it's more contagious than regular flu ... What a nightmare to experience. Like straight out of a b movie horror movie lol

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Does anyone know how the government can prevent labs and hospitals from running the tests? If I go to the ER almost dying I expect every test they deem necessary be run. How do they have legal authority over that?

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know how the government can prevent labs and hospitals from running the tests? If I go to the ER almost dying I expect every test they deem necessary be run. How do they have legal authority over that?

A lot can be done in the name of public safety.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017

It's more that until recently only the CDC in Atlanta could run the tests, I think... So they could decline to run any test requested.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
If you want to stock up, then I think

- Rice is probably the best staple since it has a high energy density, last for years and lots of way to make it
- Some vitamin pills would supplement veggie and fruit since they either don't last long, or takes up lots of space, although you still need fibre.
- As for protein... I supposed canned meat and milk powder?
- Seasoning can make the same ingredient taste different.
- Kettle to boil water. Tap water will probably be safe but I like boiled water especially if you are sick.
- Other consumable like toilet paper, pads, diapers, medicine

I already have most other than milk powder.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So what's so difficult about the tests? My buddy has a kidney disease and he caught a flu that hit him hard, so he went to get checked out last week and they tested him for Covid as well. All they did was take some samples from his mouth and nose and then he had to wait 2 hours for the results (luckily it was just the flu). I understand the difficult part is what they do in the 2 hours, but it doesn't sound like something they can't do in every hospital.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
So what's so difficult about the tests? My buddy has a kidney disease and he caught a flu that hit him hard, so he went to get checked out last week and they tested him for Covid as well. All they did was take some samples from his mouth and nose and then he had to wait 2 hours for the results (luckily it was just the flu). I understand the difficult part is what they do in the 2 hours, but it doesn't sound like something they can't do in every hospital.

I thought CDC said some of their test kit is defective.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The tests come from the CDC and are administered under CDC guidelines.

Which until recently meant that almost no one would be qualified for testing (not to mention the dearth of usable kits—the state of California had less than 500 earlier this week).

He was not tested for COVID-19. Only 472 tests have been run in the entire country.

They likely tested him for the flu, and he tested positive.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The tests come from the CDC and are administered under CDC guidelines.

He was not tested for COVID-19. Only 472 tests have been run in the entire country.

They likely tested him for the flu, and he tested positive.
We're in the Netherlands, and in a part where luckily we don't have any (reports of) infected people yet.

They specifically told him it was a Covid-19 test and made him wear a mask etc.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
We're in the Netherlands, and in a part where luckily we don't have any (reports of) infected people yet.
The US is not using the WHO test that other countries (like yours) are using.

For whatever reason, the CDC developed its own test and offered guidance on who could be tested (which kept most everyone from actually being tested). Until this coming week, the few tests that could be run needed to be returned to the CDC lab for analysis.

Wtf? Ontario, with like 8 cases has tested more with 1/30 the population.
I assumed he was in the US (I should have hovered over his handle to see his location).

It's handled differently here than everywhere else in the world.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
I assumed he was in the US (I should have hovered over his handle to see his location).

It's handled differently here than everywhere else in the world.

Part of the reason why the Wuhan outbreak occur is they had a strict diagnosed guideline at the beginning, including the person must have known contact with the wet market. This pretty much ignore any case that slip through. I hope the US is not repeating the same mistake.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I stocked up a bit at the store the other day, but it was such a small increase from my usual shopping trips that I doubt anyone noticed. A few extra pounds of meat in the freezer, a few extra cans of soup, a few bags of noodles and rice and such. And by "a few", I mean that literally. Like, three cans of soup, and all that's just supplementing what I already have in terms of dry goods. Honestly, I could survive for at least a few weeks on what I have even if it all went to shit tomorrow. I think the only thing I'd run out of is milk, and most of what I have doesn't need milk.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The US is not using the WHO test that other countries (like yours) are using.

For whatever reason, the CDC developed its own test and offered guidance on who could be tested (which kept most everyone from actually being tested). Until this coming week, the few tests that could be run needed to be returned to the CDC lab for analysis.
Sounds absolutely awful and unnecessary. They fucked up big time.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the reason why the Wuhan outbreak occur is they had a strict diagnosed guideline at the beginning, including the person must have known contact with the wet market. This pretty much ignore any case that slip through. I hope the US is not repeating the same mistake.
They did.

They're starting to make testing more permissive, but it's happening slowly, and the number of silently infected is probably already beyond the point of containment (now with multiple cases of unknown origin in CA, one dead and as many as 60 newly infected in WA, and reports of other potential undiagnosed cases across the country).

And the administration's sole interest is on optics and the stock market. They're actively spreading disinformation, further risking a major country-wide outbreak with policy that is designed to deceive rather than protect.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People just don't buy supplies with massive hysteria going on, they empty supermarkets and buy more than they actually need. Think for a moment, will ya?

The point is to be prepared, obviously nobody knows how much they need to buy. It is still ridiculous to complain about empty shelves - that doesn't say anything about hoarders. There's just a lot of people possibly affected by this.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
If you want to stock up, then I think

- Rice is probably the best staple since it has a high energy density, last for years and lots of way to make it
- Some vitamin pills would supplement veggie and fruit since they either don't last long, or takes up lots of space, although you still need fibre.
- As for protein... I supposed canned meat and milk powder?
- Seasoning can make the same ingredient taste different.
- Kettle to boil water. Tap water will probably be safe but I like boiled water especially if you are sick.
- Other consumable like toilet paper, pads, diapers, medicine

I already have most other than milk powder.

When I hit the store today I got a second 25lb bag of rice, a 25 lb bag of cat food, and some spam to just keep set aside. Next weekend it'll be flour, sugar, baking soda. Just a few extra things every week just to make a store.

Not really freaking out, but honestly it's better to have reserves than not, no matter what happens.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I think it's logical to like, add a few extra things to your weekly shopping list, but not going all-out. Things like rice and non-perishables you can just put in a cupboard and forget about.

Just a little every week will keep the supply chain steady, compared to emptying out store shelves all at once and staggering availability to those who might need things more urgently than you.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
When I hit the store today I got a second 25lb bag of rice, a 25 lb bag of cat food, and some spam to just keep set aside. Next weekend it'll be flour, sugar, baking soda. Just a few extra things every week just to make a store.

Not really freaking out, but honestly it's better to have reserves than not, no matter what happens.
At least you'll go through the rice and cat food eventually even if after this blows over.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

gonna pick up some yeast tomorrow. Figure I can teach myself how to make some bread if I get stuck inside. Have all the other stuff.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to see posters responding in this thread now in comparison to the last one.

Everyone now is talking about stocking up on food. This is all so scary to me. Fuck I need canned meat. Spam? Vienna sausages?

Just shows that slowly.... Things are changing. :(

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to see posters responding in this thread now in comparison to the last one.

Everyone now is talking about stocking up on food. This is all so scary to me. Fuck I need canned meat. Spam? Vienna sausages?

I won't forget the poster on page 1 of the last thread who admonished the OP for using the word "spread" to describe what the virus was doing.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017

You don't have to go crazy.

It's about what you can do to minimize your risk. Having a reasonable supply of food and other essential items on hand means you can limit your exposure if the infection spreads to your community (imagine if you have to take the train to go to the market with hundreds of other people because you need food).

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017

They can hate till their hearts content. We're not doing this for them but for our family/loved ones.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't see anything wrong with buying some extra food to fill your pantry. Don't freak out and stuff your cart full of everything you can find, but adding a few extra things won't be an undue burden or prevent others from getting food. I've taken a few extra trips to the grocery store in the past week or two just to make sure that I've got the food to last me for a bit. I'm doing this because:
1. I'd like to limit my time in public if the number of infections in our country reaches high numbers
2. I'm worried about other people panicking and emptying shelves, especially considering I usually only keep about a week's worth of food on hand
3. The very off chance that a widespread sickness breaks down the supply chain

If everything ends up being fine I can just:
1. Eat the food as I've mostly got canned and dried goods that will last for a while
2. Donate any excess to the local food pantry

I know people don't want to engage in panicking or fear-mongering, but saying that people are overreacting by making some extra preparations in terms of the supplies they have on hand in their home is almost just as bad as you're downplaying things too far in the opposite direction.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
When stuff like this comes around, it always makes me realize how terrible it is to work in retail in these situations. Constant customer interactions. I've just had to be using hand sanitizer constantly and be careful when anybody coughing or sneezing.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still don't see anything wrong with buying some extra food to fill your pantry. Don't freak out and stuff your cart full of everything you can find, but adding a few extra things won't be an undue burden or prevent others from getting food. I've taken a few extra trips to the grocery store in the past week or two just to make sure that I've got the food to last me for a bit. I'm doing this because:
1. I'd like to limit my time in public if the number of infections in our country reaches high numbers
2. I'm worried about other people panicking and emptying shelves, especially considering I usually only keep about a week's worth of food on hand
3. The very off chance that a widespread sickness breaks down the supply chain

If everything ends up being fine I can just:
1. Eat the food as I've mostly got canned and dried goods that will last for a while
2. Donate any excess to the local food pantry

I know people don't want to engage in panicking or fear-mongering, but saying that people are overreacting by making some extra preparations in terms of the supplies they have on hand in their home is almost just as bad as you're downplaying things too far in the opposite direction.

Well said.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this off reddit, links to a scientist's blog showing recent genome sequencing results based on the recent Snohomish County (WA State) infected cases. Based on the early analysis they estimate cryptic (undetected) transmission of Covid 19 has been going on in Washington for the past six weeks. I don't know jack about this stuff, some seem to think this may indicate the impact is weaker than previously thought wrt symptoms, or that things are about to pop off. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can provide some insights into their findings:

The team at the @seattleflustudy have sequenced the genome the #COVID19 community case reported yesterday from Snohomish County, WA, and have posted the sequence publicly to gisaid.org. There are some enormous implications here.

This case, WA2, is on a branch in the evolutionary tree that descends directly from WA1, the first reported case in the USA sampled Jan 19, also from Snohomish County, viewable here: nextstrain.org/ncov?f_divisio…

This strongly suggests that there has been cryptic transmission in Washington State for the past 6 weeks.

It's possible that this genetic similarity is a coincidence and these are separate introductions. However, I believe this is highly unlikely. The WA1 case had a variant at site 18060. This variant is only present in 2/59 viruses from China.

I'd assess the p-value for this coincidence at 2/59=0.03 and so is statistically significant. Additionally, these two cases are geographically proximal, both residing in Snohomish County.

I believe we're facing an already substantial outbreak in Washington State that was not detected until now due to narrow case definition requiring direct travel to China.

We will be working closely with and to investigate the full extent of the outbreak.

We're hoping to update soon with better estimates of the number of infections in Washington State using available data.

threadreaderapp.com

Thread by @trvrb: The team at the @seattleflustudy have sequenced the genome the #COVID19 community case reported yesterday from Snohomish County, WA, and hav…

Thread by @trvrb: The team at the @seattleflustudy have sequenced the genome the #COVID19 community case reported yesterday from Snohoand have posted the sequence publicly to gisaid.org. There are some enormous implications here. 1/9 @seattl…

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
lol so people here are stocking up food now?

just so you know, its been over 1 month since this virus has been detected and it still doesn't meet WHO's definition of pandemic.

Take a breath and relax. Stop reading too much fear mongering news. Lets see how many new cases we get in coming weeks.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017

just so you know, its been over 1 month since this virus has been detected and it still doesn't meet WHO's definition of pandemic.

Take a breath and relax. Stop reading too much fear mongering news. Lets see how many new cases we get in coming weeks.

tbh the biggest reason i can't relax is because i'm still living with my mom and dad, and they're 60+ years old

and the the us federal government literally cares more about the stock market than people

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

it actually does meet their definition of pandemic. they just refuse to use that term anymore.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I got you fam:
The Spanish flu hat a mortality rate of 10%
I saw a twitter thread yesterday that explained how the 2% that is often thrown around is a misconception

If it was 2% with 50 million dead, there would have been more infected as the entire world population at the time
The Spanish flu was also around in a very different time. Think about the difference in basic sanitation/hygiene and also what our hospitals were capable of at the time. Not to mention that it broke out when countries were at war.

It was clearly a terrible disease and on a different level to corona but it it wouldn't be quite the same today.
I'm not going to say you are wrong, but I said relatively because I was thinking of SARS and Ebola mortality rates. That being said the mortality rate for this virus is probably TBD.
This is from a few pages ago re: the 1918 H1N1 pandemic, but a few things to add:

• Spanish Flu infamously devastated and killed many victims who were young and in good health (unlike COVID-19)
  • Spanish Flu peaked in the summer and fall (again unlike COVID-19)
  • One of the Spanish Flu's hardest-hit demographics was children under 5 (thus far we've seen surprising resilience to COVID-19 under the age of 10)

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Saw this off reddit, links to a scientist's blog showing recent genome sequencing results based on the recent Snohomish County (WA State) infected cases. Based on the early analysis they estimate cryptic (undetected) transmission of Covid 19 has been going on in Washington for the past six weeks. I don't know jack about this stuff, some seem to think this may indicate the impact is weaker than previously thought wr

Well gene evolves each generation. Human gene also evolve but since we reproduce slowly it is not noticable. They probably compare the current virus and the previous, and estimate how long it has been evolving based on the difference.

Some Italian also did similar research and get the same conclusion of their strain I think.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep a month of food supplies on me always. Blizzards, outbreaks, hurricanes, disasters, etc. Its always a good idea. Doesn't have to be anything wild, just stuff Ill use anyway.