• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
User warned: Inappropriate commentary in a sensitive thread
Two people escaped local hospital quarantine over here. :) Should just let them perish, too bad they'll probably infect others.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Yes but that wouldn't explain the death Numbers in Italy that are in Line With the 2%.
But it seems like they found a way to threat the virus With anti HIV and Ebola cures
One reason for that could be that Italy is not as thorough with testing as South Korea. So the number of cases in Italy might be higher than reported and the death rate might hopefully be lower. Also demographics might play a role: Italy has a much larger percentage of older people.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
The flu is not a new virus, has been around forever and it's been successful the way it is.
To put it simply, less deadly mutations are more likely to spread, whereas deadly mutations would exhaust more quickly (as people die before being able to pass the virus, or are simply isolated more quickly as they have more serious symptoms). Natural selection 101.
I don't think it's much of a stretch for instance to think that the current human coronaviruses (i.e. the common cold) also may have originated from more deadly strains and later become more mild.
This is the thing. I agree that a more dangerous version of the flu would in essence kill its host faster and therefore be less likely to be as contagious however if you have something that's as contagious as this one it's not as simple as that. Also, certain drug classes working on a virus are definitely used as clues to indicate how it works because antiviral drugs work on mechanisms that are essential for either hiv proteases that mature viruses after release from host cells , rna integration or cell fusion of a viral dna to a cell. Ofcourse its not as black and white as that but what I mean is that it's always better to be over zealous about what this is rather than being timid and calling this another typical flu.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
So guys how are you prepping for a potential local outbreak?

Yesterday I bought a shit ton of water, soup, and frozen meals.

according to some people here, you are fearmongering, overreacting and should just calm down. You shouldn't buy out your local supermarket.
ONLY when the government tells you to panic, should you prepare, like the million other people who would do it at the same time.

Shaking my head at this downplaying.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Dude. When has the flu ever mutated to become less dangerous ? Theres a reason you get the flu shot every year.

Natural selection doesn't work like that. A 'successful' mutation is one which leads to more infections and thus more viruses being produced.

Viruses aren't trying to kill people, if anything killing the host is mostly a bad thing for a virus - a dead person probably isn't the best transmission vector.

The 'ultimate' virus is probably one which does no more harm than making you sneeze loads so you spread it everywhere. There's a reason the common cold is so successful.

So yes, a virus absolutely can mutate to be less dangerous - provided that mutation leads to more infections.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
The good news is the mortality rate is relatively low. We are lucky this isn't something with a higher rate. The bad news is this could have been minimized by a more proactive response in the US. It will also lead to things we haven't been exposed to since the great recession. It won't be nearly that bad, but we as a society (United States) are not equipped to deal with it.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Natural selection doesn't work like that. A 'successful' mutation is one which leads to more infections and thus more viruses being produced.

Viruses aren't trying to kill people, if anything killing the host is mostly a bad thing for a virus - a dead person probably isn't the best transmission vector.

The 'ultimate' virus is probably one which does no more harm than making you sneeze loads so you spread it everywhere. There's a reason the common cold is so successful.

So yes, a virus absolutely can mutate to be less dangerous - provided that mutation leads to more infections.

The problem is your body will always see a virus as foreign and a virus will always mutate. Mutation is bad because we make drugs (and to some extent vaccines) that depend on a virus working a certain way most times. And people that keep bringing up sars dont mention that this virus is very similar to sars. Ideally you want something that doesn't mutate as much so you can eradicate it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's not just zero hours contract workers, I'm salary and have 10 days paid time off. That's it. No sick days. And I only have about 4 days saved up so far in PTO.
I'm self-employed. I don't get paid time off... if I'm sick, I don't earn. Spent a few weeks in hospital last year, and the rest of the year trying to catch back up.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

NYC @NYCMAYOR DeBlasio has repeatedly requested permission from federal authorities to conduct all #COVID19 #SARnCoV2019 tests in NYCDOH labs, using kits locally developed. He claims nobody in federal govt has responded to >3 weeks of requests.

The Reddit user, which his story got posted earlier, got interviewed with a local ABC affiliate (via Skype, for obvious protection reasons), which he posted on his Reddit.

You can watch it here:

abc7ny.com

Why did CDC send NYC man home without testing for coronavirus?

One man has locked himself in his Brooklyn apartment, trying to get by with a hacking cough and a fever - and a real concern he is infected with the novel coronavirus.

As noted, even though there is a chance he MIGHT not have it, they won't test for him for various dumb reasons. CDC reportedly contradicts a claim of denying (both from the hospital and the reddit user) any requests (if I understood correctly), saying they've not done so thus far.
DeBlasio needs to get more aggressive than.

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): Ignoring staff post with regard to misinformation
The good news is the mortality rate is relatively low. We are lucky this isn't something with a higher rate. The bad news is this could have been minimized by a more proactive response in the US. It will also lead to things we haven't been exposed to since the great recession. It won't be nearly that bad, but we as a society (United States) are not equipped to deal with it.

The mortality rate matches the 1918 flu.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in Florida and a huge event is coming up in the next 2 weeks. TPC Sawgrass golf event. I wonder if thats ground zero for the southeasts first case.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people buying water? I guess no one trusts filtered water. But that store bought water is probably no different.

Food and medicine if you are stuck at home. Sure.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is your body will always see a virus as foreign and a virus will always mutate. Mutation is bad because we make drugs (and to some extent vaccines) that depend on a virus working a certain way most times. And people that keep bringing up sars dont mention that this virus is very similar to sars. Ideally you want something that doesn't mutate as much so you can eradicate it.
I'm not saying mutations are a good thing.

I'm just countering misconception that 'mutations = more deadly'. That's not necessarily true.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Were the older reports true that people who recovered from this virus contracted it for the second time, or were they just rumors?

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Why are people buying water? I guess no one trusts filtered water. But that store bought water is probably no different.

Food and medicine if you are stuck at home. Sure.
It's always better to be cautious and I think tap water isnt best for most people lol still, everyone here taking this as a joke when other countries shut down whole cities.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
It's always better to be cautious and I think tap water isnt best for most people lol still, everyone here taking this as a joke when other countries shut down whole cities.
If it gets to the point that the water supply isn't evenr running from lack of personal we might as well stuck up on Mad Max gear.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually had a scare a few days ago, went to the doctor to get checked out, turns out it's the flu. This is my first time getting the flu, I'm scared shitless of Corona now.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
It's not just zero hours contract workers, I'm salary and have 10 days paid time off. That's it. No sick days. And I only have about 4 days saved up so far in PTO.

If I have to take more than a week off I'm losing money.

Yeah that sucks. Here in the UK if I had to stay home for 2 weeks I would still be paid in full and we don't have a quota of sick days.

Surely there should be leeway for people like yourself as it's special circumstances and employers should be made to ensure employees are not left out of pocket or forced to use vacation days.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that sucks. Here in the UK if I had to stay home for 2 weeks I would still be paid in full and we don't have a quota of sick days.

Surely there should be leeway for people like yourself as it's special circumstances and employers should be made to ensure employees are not left out of pocket or forced to use vacation days.
During the Harvey floods in Houston a couple years ago my company paid employees for 1 day. Some people couldn't work for weeks. Idk what happened to them. Hope they had enough vacation days to burn.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2% mortality rate isn't "low".

The 1918 flu comes to mind.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

In America, much of the working population doesn't even have any sick days or any vacation days at all. If you take-off work you are unpaid. This includes the vast majority of the food service industry, where calling off is HIGHLY discouraged, and you are expected to work when you are sick, while making $20,000 a year.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
2% mortality rate isn't "low".

The 1918 flu comes to mind.

The Spanish flu hat a mortality rate of 10%
I saw a twitter thread yesterday that explained how the 2% that is often thrown around is a misconception

If it was 2% with 50 million dead, there would have been more infected as the entire world population at the time

Oct 25, 2017
Just to put this into perspective, if you're a relatively healthy individual you don't have much to worry about from coronavirus.

Yeah I am relatively healthy. I'll be honest I'm more worried for others than myself. My mom is in her late 50's and my dad in his late 60's. I dunno this flu has whooped my ass for 4 days now and the cough that's now starting up hurts big time. Can't imagine people who are older having to deal with that aspect.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Concerned about the food supply issue places are getting because of panic, living on an island where we're pretty much entirely dependant on outside sources to feed our population. No doubt if it hits here people are going to panic buy and overwork the system.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
In America, much of the working population doesn't even have any sick days or any vacation days at all. If you take-off work you are unpaid. This includes the vast majority of the food service industry, where calling off is HIGHLY discouraged, and you are expected to work when you are sick, while making $20,000 a year.

So why would someone self isolate if that feel well enough to work? Yes they should do but if one can't afford too then they are going to work.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
Dude. When has the flu ever mutated to become less dangerous ? Theres a reason you get the flu shot every year.
A virus does not have a purpose. It does not want to become more or less deadly. It just mutates and if that mutation happen spread, it... well it just spreads. It's evolution.

If it mutates so that it's less deadly, less people and thus more living victims can spread the virus. Viruses like ebola, lassa and Marburg are so deadly, that it is very hard for them to spread, since they kill their hosts so easily. Less deadly viruses (e.g. herpes simplex, CMV or varicella) have a waaaay higher penetration into the general population, sometimes up to 80-90% of the Earth.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I saw a twitter thread yesterday that explained how the 2% that is often thrown around is a misconception

If it was 2% with 50 million dead, there would have been more infected as the entire world population at the time

The Spanish flu was also around in a very different time. Think about the difference in basic sanitation/hygiene and also what our hospitals were capable of at the time. Not to mention that it broke out when countries were at war.

It was clearly a terrible disease and on a different level to corona but it it wouldn't be quite the same today.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding out some hope the mortality rate decreases as testing improves. I think there are a bunch of unreported cases for various reasons.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not going to say you are wrong, but I said relatively because I was thinking of SARS and Ebola mortality rates. That being said the mortality rate for this virus is probably TBD.
Fair.

Though if we had something as deadly as Ebola and virulent as flu we'd be in trouble.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm holding out some hope the mortality rate decreases as testing improves. I think there are a bunch of unreported cases for various reasons.

This also. There might be so many untested people with the virus because they are not2 having any Symptoms, that you counting becomes really difficult.

If we look at the Numbers in South Korea it ist probably more in Line