• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How concerning is this whole 'reinfection' thing that seems to be popping up? Is that something any other disease does?

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be a study to say if it is really reinfection or if you just keep the thing forever, dormant / in another similar state.

Maybe you get better but the tests will always be positive.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
What are the chances that coronavirus is here to stay, that it will start appearing again every winter?

An increasing number of experts say it's here to stay. Containment and mitigation are important as both buy us precious time to deal with a stable number of critical cases. Epidemic outbreaks collapse hospitals and Health Care centers. It's better to deal with this situation in manageable numbers, rather than having tens of thousands suddenly falling ill to it.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
All viruses mutate more or less constantly. You can use the changes to track how an epidemic spreads by comparing the genetics of viruses at different times in different places. It's not the same as the virus gaining new abilities, simply random variations.
WTF the virus is leveling up with automatic stat distribution??

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Any more news on California and possible community spread, or there's really no idea because they have no test kits?

My dad is going to Palm Springs next week, and my boss is currently there. :S
The two counties with reported community spread cases are 450-500 miles away from Palm Springs.

Naru

May 11, 2019
How concerning is this whole 'reinfection' thing that seems to be popping up? Is that something any other disease does?
They suspect, if it's really a reinfection, that there wasn't enough time for the body to create enough antibodies which would protect you from a reinfection. This is probably the most realistic explanation at the moment. Nothing is confirmed of course. Pure speculation from scientists.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
They suspect, if it's really a reinfection, that there wasn't enough time for the body to create enough antibodies which would protect you from that. This is probably the most realistic explanation at the moment. Nothing is confirmed of course. Pure speculation from scientists.

Yes, at this point it's all speculations. There are 2 versions: either it's a real reinfection or just a neutralized manifestation of the virus. As in, you're a carrier with detectable viral loads, but you wouldn't represent any danger to others.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I've been wondering about Japan lately. Is it that they found a way to properly contain this? Or could it be their testing capabilities have stalled at this point? Their updates have been somewhat "stable", not even close to the dramatic jumps we notice in Iran, Italy or South Korea.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How would it be any different from the flu vaccine, which is pretty cheap across the country already?
Everything seems to be pointing thanks to How Trump has done the health insurance nonsense that it would cost a lot to get this vaccine. It's not a "pre-existing" condition, something brand new, and other nonsense i read about this where since its being done by big pharmaceuticals they will basically monopolize it. Again I am not sure if its 100% accurate what i read so i wlll try and track down the source and post it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I've been wondering about Japan lately. Is it that they found a way to properly contain this? Or could it be their testing capabilities have stalled at this point? Their updates have been somewhat "stable", not even close to the dramatic jumps we notice in Iran, Italy or South Korea.

Hopefully it's the former and its plateaued in Japan.

Jun 20, 2019
I think it's hard to know what the relapse information means. For example, the chickenpox virus remains in the body for decades after the initial disease has passed. It typically does not re-emerge as chickenpox but as shingles, a wholly different disease.

This thing is brand new. I don't know that anyone can reliably say what it could do long term.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I think it's hard to know what the relapse information means. For example, the chickenpox virus remains in the body for decades after the initial disease has passed. It typically does not re-emerge as chickenpox but as shingles, a wholly different disease.

This thing is brand new. I don't know that anyone can reliably say what it could do long term.

Exactly. Only time will tell. We just have to hope it doesn't take a turn for the worst and we're able to find either a vaccine, a cure, or some kind of successful treatment to deal with the symptoms once they start to set in.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't someone saying that the vaccine for an existing virus similar to this has a chance to cause a lot of heart damage or something? I don't think it's a slam dunk that a vaccine for this will be as smooth as the common flu vaccine.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

regardless if it is reinfection or a mild case that lay dormant, it will fuck up your lungs. That's why the "you will be okay if you are young and healthy" is such a narrow-sighted thing to say. Even as a young and healthy person, you will have scarred lung tissue after it and will be vulnerable to other illnesses for a time. You won't be "young and healthy" after it, instead, you will belong in the "at-risk" group. The next pneumonia or covid re-infection could kill you.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like cases in Cali are really going to increase now that a second case has been confirmed?

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Welt.de just wrote that north Italy had so many positive cases because they did a lot of testing, more than other regions and countries. That did hurt the economy because people canceled their trips to those locations. Now they want to stop testing people that don't have symptoms etc. I can't really believe what the fuck I am reading. Also the WHO requested that they do no longer report positive tests to the public, they need to tell the WHO first, they will validate all the tests and do the reporting themselves. Clown world?

Source in German: https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland...ona-Italien-setzt-auf-Schadensbegrenzung.html
WHO can't seem to figure out and give clear instructions to countries. This is not China level containment

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
regardless if it is reinfection or a mild case that lay dormant, it will fuck up your lungs. That's why the "you will be okay if you are young and healthy" is such a narrow-sighted thing to say. Even as a young and healthy person, you will have scarred lung tissue after it and will be vulnerable to other illnesses for a time. You won't be "young and healthy" after it, instead, you will belong in the "at-risk" group. The next pneumonia or covid re-infection could kill you.
Where are you getting this from? Certainly bad cases can damage your lungs, but it doesn't sound like doctors are saying that this disease permanently makes you less healthy.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Where are you getting this information from? You're suggesting everyone who gets this will have fucked up lungs, that's a pretty bold claim to make without sources to back it up.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, at this point it's all speculations. There are 2 versions: either it's a real reinfection or just a neutralized manifestation of the virus. As in, you're a carrier with detectable viral loads, but you wouldn't represent any danger to others.

There's a third possibility: it's possible that people carry detectable virus for longer than was previously assumed. I've seen no reports claiming that the subjects were becoming symptomatic again, simply that they had positive tests after recovery and after previously having tested negative

This doesn't necessarily mean that they're infectious though. It's possible to carry virus fragments that show up on tests that still inactive. But we don't know.

Oct 25, 2017
Been arguing with a friend over his planned trip to Japan. He thinks the caution is overblown and since the virus has spread he is likely to get it one way or another. I think he still needs to exercise caution rather than risking increase risk of exposure.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I probably need to back off of the news cycle. My 7 year just told me she's scared of the coronavirus and that we need to get more food. I told her we are and she hugged me and said thank you. It's heart breaking