• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
A WHO report in how extreme the measures in China were to contain the disease, Twitter thread contains summary:

"They have accepted and adhered to the starkest of containment measures – whether the suspension of public gatherings, the month-long 'stay at home' advisories or prohibitions on travel."

"Much of the global community is not yet ready, in mindset and materially, to implement the measures that have been employed to contain #COVID19 in China. These are the only measures that are currently proven to interrupt or minimize transmission chains in humans"

"Fundamental to these measures is extremely proactive surveillance to immediately detect cases, very rapid diagnosis and immediate case isolation, rigorous tracking and quarantine of close contacts, and an exceptionally high degree of population understanding and acceptance of these measures."

Jan 11, 2019
Hey all, I'm feeling super hopeless right now. Last month, January 21st to be exact, I started getting flu symptoms (runny nose, feeling unwell/weak, and sore throat),...

First off, I'm very sorry this is happening to you. Also, this very much reads like someone is sitting in his room having all the time in the world to worry himself to pieces. Finding ways to relax always greatly helps me combat illnesses and panicking will probably not help you at all.

That being said, I ain't no doctor and It's probably good your taking this seriously. But you've already been to the doc and he told you to take these strong meds for a week and check back then. So just asking carefully…

Is staying home, drinking tea, not taking daily checkups on your blood pressure, drinking more tea, drinking more tea, drinking more tea, sleeping, drinking more tea, taking your meds and checking back in a week like the doc told you not an option?

I'm dont want to be downplaying anything here but coughs can be tricky business, I've had one for more than a month in January. And the mind is pretty good at overdriving your body. You already are on stron antibiotics and they'll do some heavy lifting but you gotta rest too...

All this being said, I'm just offering some advice, but at the end of the day, I'm just some dude who ain't not doctor.

Nov 7, 2017
Ugh, that sucks, I'm sorry that's happening to you.
However, seeing as your results were fine, do you have a history of anxiety attacks? It can feel like shortness of breath, exactly like you describe, have you considered it might be mental health related?
I have and can get anxious, but not to the point of getting an anxiety attack, tough, concerning the shortness of breath, I don't recall ever feeling this way. I've been stressed, however, so that's a good call and I'll look into it, thank you, i appreciate it.

Isn't runny nose an aspect not associated with COVID-19? It's mainly shortness of breath, dry cough and fatigue.
That's what I thought too, but that was a month ago or so, and I've read the symptoms come and go and can vary. I'm just concerned because I've been getting a variety of symptoms for the last 4 weeks or so, but right now I only have shortness of breath and high blood pressure. I couldn't tell about fatigue, I frequently feel tired regardless.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
My kid has fever since yesterday and there are no reported cases in my country yet. I'm seeing a doctor tonight. I shouldn't be alarmed, no?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I"ve been thinking about how people sometimes wonder how scientific issues like evolution or climate change got so partisan and politicized over the decades in the US. Well we're watching it in real-time right now with the coronavirus. Fucking disgusting, these people belong in hell.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
A WHO report in how extreme the measures in China were to contain the disease, Twitter thread contains summary:

"They have accepted and adhered to the starkest of containment measures – whether the suspension of public gatherings, the month-long 'stay at home' advisories or prohibitions on travel."

"Much of the global community is not yet ready, in mindset and materially, to implement the measures that have been employed to contain #COVID19 in China. These are the only measures that are currently proven to interrupt or minimize transmission chains in humans"

"Fundamental to these measures is extremely proactive surveillance to immediately detect cases, very rapid diagnosis and immediate case isolation, rigorous tracking and quarantine of close contacts, and an exceptionally high degree of population understanding and acceptance of these measures."

*cries in American*

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so frustrated that my small EU country government isn't taking this seriously. We only have 1 confirmed case so far, everyone is still joking about this. Mass events and gatherings aren't getting cancelled. Why do people always have to be so blind and ignorant and wait until it's too late.

And it's not just my county, seems like sentiments are similar across all of EU. All I see is jokes, ignorance, "it's just like flu", "but what about road deaths?", etc. Like WTF is happening? Did people live comfortable safe lives for way too long and forgot that very very bad things can still happen in this world?

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
If you have pets, stock up on food for them. A lot of the stuff in there comes from foreign sources, and the price might rise a lot or have supply constraints. It also keeps for a very long time, so worst case is that everything is fine and you just feed it to them and don't need to buy any for a while.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Italy Covid-19 death toll rises to 21 as UK confirms 20th case – as it happened

Italian civil protection chief confirms 820 cases in the country while Boris Johnson says Covid-19 is UK government’s top priority.

First British coronavirus death confirmed

A British man who was onboard the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan has died from the coronavirus, the Japanese health ministry has confirmed.

The first foreign passenger to die, his death brings the toll among passengers from the vessel to six.

A spokeswoman for Princess Cruises, which operates the Diamond Princess, said: "All of us at Princess Cruises, including the crew of the Diamond Princess, offer our sincere condolences to family members and friends for their loss. Our dedicated care team are on hand to provide support."

Oct 27, 2017
I work as a tech in a school system...and visit 5-6 schools per day.

I am 100% getting it. Fortunately I am in my 30s and overall quite healthy, but my concern is that I could become a carrier for a few days before realizing that I have it, thus spreading it to hundreds of other people.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
My kid has fever since yesterday and there are no reported cases in my country yet. I'm seeing a doctor tonight. I shouldn't be alarmed, no?
There's nigh infinite possibilities for your child's fever. COVID-19 also seems to be less infectious among children if your kid is on the younger side.

Unless your child is showing other COVID-19 symptoms such as a dry cough without a runny nose, etc. and unless they've had contact with someone from a heavily affected area or who has been diagnosed themselves, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's much more likely to be anything else at this stage.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Considering how badly it was mishandled at the beginning before these measures were taken, I'd agree that a lot of countries would struggle from that situation. I just hope we don't get to where we need those extreme measures in most countries. I am slightly surprised where the outbreaks are taking place, hadn't thought it would be this bad in South Korea.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Hi Everyone! I've been trying to stay informed, but not obsessed re: COVID-19. Can anyone confirm for me if this is about right (my sense of the current state of things):

1. It's going to spread world wide, you'll likely get it
2. There's no sure fire way to prevent exposure
3. The mortality rate is low in general, lowest for kids, and highest for the elderly
4. Many people may be asymptomatic
5. Face masks are good if you're sick with it and want to prevent sneezes and stuff from getting everywhere, but not very effective for protection if you *dont* have it
6. Lots of stuff is going to get cancelled as part of an unsuccessful attempt to avoid the spread
7. It'll be good to stock up on non-perishables (and medicine) in the event that you're unable to go out because you've got it, OR if things close in your area and you can't access certain things
8. For my family, we're 30-40 yrs old with kids younger than 10 -- kids are most likely to be okay, and if either of us get it, we just need to be serious about getting rest and fluids

Does that all sound about right?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hi Everyone! I've been trying to stay informed, but not obsessed re: COVID-19. Can anyone confirm for me if this is about right (my sense of the current state of things):

3. The mortality rate is low in general, lowest for kids, and highest for the elderly
5. Face masks are good if you're sick with it and want to prevent sneezes and stuff from getting everywhere, but not very effective for protection if you *dont* have it
6. Lots of stuff is going to get cancelled as part of an unsuccessful attempt to avoid the spread
7. It'll be good to stock up on non-perishables (and medicine) in the event that you're unable to go out because you've got it, OR if things close in your area and you can't access certain things
8. For my family, we're 30-40 yrs old with kids younger than 10 -- kids are most likely to be okay, and if either of us get it, we just need to be serious about getting rest and fluids

Sounds about right. This is how I'm approaching it as well.

In my case I live with my 60+ old parents, one who had a stroke, and the other who is a life-long smoker, so I'm trying hard to not get it. They stay home all the time (retired) which is good, but I have to go out in Toronto and work.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

As far as I can tell, yes

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

EDIT: Forget what I said, I'm an idiot

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't runny nose an aspect not associated with COVID-19? It's mainly shortness of breath, dry cough and fatigue.
Oddly enough, I have those last three pretty badly at the moment (especially the shortness of breath).

No fever at all though. So I'm putting it down to being massively run down (not least because I couldn't have come into contact with anyone that had Coronavirus).

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy

It's already spreading world wide, but we can't say for sure how many people will get it. It depends on the containment measures applied around the world. The virus could be a stable on future flu seasons, like h1n1.
Respecting basic hygiene habits is already a great way to diminuish the risk of being infected.
Yes. Very very low in kids.
Yes.
Yes.
We don't know if this is going to be unsuccesful. The point is slowing it down, not blocking it. The problem with the virus is not the fact that it's incredibly deadly or untreatable, but the fact that is crazy contagious and the risk is the saturation of sanitary systems.
Even in Wuhan food and basic products were always available, but it's never a bad idea to stock some stuff.
If it looks like a normal flu, it's treated like a normal flu. No need to overwhelm hospitals when cases are mild.

Hope it's helpful. I'm not a virologist, but I work as a journalist in Italy and most of my time nowadays is spent on following the development of covid-19.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
In the last 48 hours, how many countries have announced their first COVID-19 case? I saw Mexico, Iceland and Lithuania, but I could have sworn there were more.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
my country is thinking about banning travelers from South Korea, Iran and Italy temporarily

Honestly, I don't know how many more news articles with "the patient had just arrived back home from a trip to Italy/Iran" need to pop up before people stop doing this kind of traveling on their own. It seems like almost every new European country that sees its first case has this description.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
It feels very normal here in the Philippines. Everyone I talk to seem to think the upcoming hot weather/summer will stop the spread of the virus

I think I'm one of the few people who is taking precautions <because of my health and age> lol

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I wonder if they're actually testing for it.

Russia could be similar to the US currently, there could be people who have it and just haven't been tested for it.

How would that work, though? Medical professionals in both countries are also people, they also have families and read the news, it seems really far fetched to think they "wouldn't test" suspicious patients because of some conspiracy.

Nov 7, 2017
First and foremost...don't worry. It is not COVID-19 for that length of time.

I would agree with what is mentioned above, having suffered with various degrees of anxiety (being uncomfortable to full on passing out, panic attacks and going to hospital) it sounds like some of your symptoms could be due to that (especially since it sounds like you have be very much checked out already by doctors).

Checking your blood pressure every few moments will not help...I used to do exactly the same thing with my pulse rate and it causes more issues than anything.

I also don't think it is being downplayed in any way, quite the opposite in fact - especially by the media and the slant that gets put on any news. Realistically what do you want people to do...panic? start screaming in the street?

I really hope you're correct, it's just that with all these random consecutive symptoms, I got quite scared, and me being immunocompromised makes me an easy target, as well as a danger for my parents in their late 60's with pre-existing conditions, if it turns out I have it in the end, though am feeling more reassured now.

Yes, I will definitely look into it, thanks you

I do it three times a day as recommended by the doctor, my bad for not elaborating.

You are right, I meant around here where I live, and mostly the general population and those close to me, not really the media. Again, sorry for not elaborating further.

First off, I'm very sorry this is happening to you. Also, this very much reads like someone is sitting in his room having all the time in the world to worry himself to pieces. Finding ways to relax always greatly helps me combat illnesses and panicking will probably not help you at all.

That being said, I ain't no doctor and It's probably good your taking this seriously. But you've already been to the doc and he told you to take these strong meds for a week and check back then. So just asking carefully…

Is staying home, drinking tea, not taking daily checkups on your blood pressure, drinking more tea, drinking more tea, drinking more tea, sleeping, drinking more tea, taking your meds and checking back in a week like the doc told you not an option?

I'm dont want to be downplaying anything here but coughs can be tricky business, I've had one for more than a month in January. And the mind is pretty good at overdriving your body. You already are on stron antibiotics and they'll do some heavy lifting but you gotta rest too...

All this being said, I'm just offering some advice, but at the end of the day, I'm just some dude who ain't not doctor.
Thank you for your sensibility. Yes, i concur. I listen to a lot of music and audio books while I write, and I do light exercising too. That's what I've been doing to occupy my mind lately, It does help greatly.

Absolutely, that's what I'm adhering to. I drink lots of water and natural orange juice, I take my meds in time and I sleep about 10 hours every day, no exceptions, and take naps throughout the day. And the daily blood pressure checking was the doctor's order, to check it daily three times a day I should have included that in my post. And I'm going back to the doctor this Sunday, but this morning I got really annoyed at the lack of improvement and I felt very vulnerable, I couldn't help it.

Yeah, the timing sure doesn't help. I will continue to rest, thank you.

I appreciate any kind of advice, and I'm more calm now, thanks to you and all the nice people who replied to my post. Thanks all.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
How would that work, though? Medical professionals in both countries are also people, they also have families and read the news, it seems really far fetched to think they "wouldn't test" suspicious patients because of some conspiracy.

Not a conspiracy - we are not (at least until yesterday) testing cases in the US because we don't have kits and the CDC guidelines are too strict. You can't test if you don't have the equipment to test

data

Oct 25, 2017
What conspiracy? What are you even talking about?

I'm talking about how the CDC wouldn't even test a suspected person for days because of their stringent requirements.

www.npr.org

Diagnosis Of Coronavirus Patient In California Was Delayed For Days

The first suspected U.S. case of novel coronavirus infection through "community spread" was left undiagnosed for days, hospital officials said, because the case didn't fit the CDC's criteria.

I don't know how stringent the Russian criteria is to be tested, but if it's similar to the CDC, it has to be people who came from China.

Can you elaborate more on what conspiracy you're talking about?

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
This "you'll likely get it" stuff is making me feel... I don't know, hopeless. I'm in the at risk group and I wake up filled with dread every single day. On a good day I feel like I'm not getting enough air already. I've bought food for the month and I'm not going out at all unless necessary but I still feel like a bag of shit mentally.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
What conspiracy? What are you even talking about?

I'm talking about how the CDC wouldn't even test a suspected person for days because of their stringent requirements.

www.npr.org

Diagnosis Of Coronavirus Patient In California Was Delayed For Days

The first suspected U.S. case of novel coronavirus infection through "community spread" was left undiagnosed for days, hospital officials said, because the case didn't fit the CDC's criteria.

I don't know how stringent the Russian criteria is to be tested, but if it's similar to the CDC, it has to be people who came from China.

Can you elaborate more on what conspiracy you're talking about?

Is CDC the only place you can get tested for COVID-19 in the US? Because a bunch of places test people for it in my country, for cases to go unnoticed for weeks like you seem to imply, all those places would have to be in cahoots for some unknown nefarious purpose.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017

Might be procedural issues. Polish government won't confirm coronavirus unless it's been officially tested by central laboratories, but some hospitals confirmed they don't have budget for transporting samples to Warsaw. There are confirmed cases in Lithuania, Belarus and Germany and we're just past winter break with multitude of people returning from skiing in Italy. Like, there's miniscule chance there aren't actual cases here yet, but it's hard to tell especially with media going bananas and the issue being politicized before May presidential elections.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Is CDC the only place you can get tested for COVID-19 in the US? Because a bunch of places test people for it in my country, for cases to go unnoticed for weeks like you seem to imply, all those places would have to be in cahoots for some unknown nefarious purpose.

Currently all tests have to go through the CDC, but individual states are starting to consider their own testing pipeline.

data

Oct 25, 2017
No the CDC isn't the only place.

However, there were faults with the testing kits until very recently.

www.nytimes.com

Coronavirus Test Kits Sent to States Are Flawed, C.D.C. Says (Published 2020)

Some tests distributed by the agency deliver “inconclusive” readings. The C.D.C. will need to ship new ingredients, further delaying results.

you seem to imply, all those places would have to be in cahoots for some unknown nefarious purpose.
What the fuck? Stop putting words in my mouth. This is what I said.

I wonder if they're actually testing for it.

Russia could be similar to the US currently, there could be people who have it and just haven't been tested for it.

The reason why I say this is because of the previous article where someone was suspected of having it.

I said they could be similar in that Russia like the US currently isn't testing stringently.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused by the focus on nonperishables. Those are a good idea in a hurricane or snowstorm because of the high likelihood of power outages. Your freezer and fridge aren't going to stop functioning because of coronavirus.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
No the CDC isn't the only place.

However, there were faults with the testing kits until very recently.

www.nytimes.com

Coronavirus Test Kits Sent to States Are Flawed, C.D.C. Says (Published 2020)

Some tests distributed by the agency deliver “inconclusive” readings. The C.D.C. will need to ship new ingredients, further delaying results.

What the fuck? Stop putting words in my mouth. This is what I said.

The reason why I say this is because of the previous article where someone was suspected of having it.

I said they could be similar in that Russia like the US currently isn't testing stringently.

Oh do calm down.
I was legitimately curious, because a bunch of people ITT previously said something like "there's certainly a lot of cases in the US but we're not testing for it", so I couldn't exactly imagine how would that work or why wouldn't doctors test for it, I finally asked after your post. Stop being so defensive.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused by the focus on nonperishables. Those are a good idea in a hurricane or snowstorm because of the high likelihood of power outages. Your freezer and fridge aren't going to stop functioning because of coronavirus.

1) Everyone should have an emergency supply of non-perishables anyway, but many don't and are taking this opportunity to create one. Great! Should be encouraged.

2) Many people are filling fridges and freezers up as part of their normal shopping, but that space is very limited. One person could feed themselves for a long time with a stocked freezer, but what about a family of five?

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
The word 'pandemic' forbidden for the WHO. Director describes current situation as "linked epidemics". I kid you not.
twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“WHO chief Tedros describes outbreaks as "linked epidemics," says there's no evidence coronavirus is spreading freely and "we still have a chance of containing" it https://t.co/O3CRuIR0Bc”