• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Isn't the test done using PCR?
Or am I reading wrong and the test kit is just the reagents? But even so that's cheaper than I expected

I'm scrubbing through the video to see if I can find it again.

Edit: here we go, 58:19 in case it doesn't jump to the right spot
They just refer to it as the "covid test" being less than $5 from where they source it, but they acknowledge that there different "testing platforms" and so varying costs. I've no idea what this or PCR means, but maybe this is more informative for you.

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
It's already killed 2,858 people. Are people really waiting for a label to start taking it seriously?
???? Most of the deaths are in China. That's exactly how people have been treating it. A China problem. It's OBVIOUS that people are not treating it like a pandemic. The CDC refused to test anyone that didn't have come from China or have contact with someone from China. I mean if this is the best the world can do and a label would change nothing then we are truly fucked. Now me on the other hand feels that governments can still get their act together but it's clearly going to take another push for them to act properly.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I feel like I'm just gonna wake up one day and look at the map only to find out cases in the US have ballooned by a shit ton.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
In case people missed the post from way back, I have this on my bookmark to see the latest figures of the virus in a single page.

It's not real-time, but I think the dash board is updated every hour. Super useful.

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

So looking at this map, does anyone have any ideas on why this thing is not getting a foothold in south-east Asia? Considering public government hospitals in India are run down and lack basic hygiene, equipment and facilities and the government is incompetent, if this thing gets to India it would spread like wildfire. Which is why I am surprised that India is still stuck with those 3 original cases in the South - medical students who were studying in Wuhan - and all 3 have already been cleared of the infection and released. Sri Lanka's one case has also recovered as has Nepal's.

Consider the populations of India, Sri-Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal. India at least has a billion people. And currently there are 2 cases in Pakistan and that's it.

A graduate student I was talking to suggested that south-East Asians maybe have a difference in their ACE2 receptors that make it harder for the nCoV to be fatal or take hold? There was a study someone here mentioned where smokers - who express higher levels of ACE2 - have higher rates of fatality. Or maybe it's differences in temperature? It's in the mid to late thirties (Celsius) in a lot of south-east Asia right now. There's nothing in Africa either - and we have warmer temps there as well.

Or maybe there are cases and it's just not getting reported...
You're probably thinking about South Asia, not Southeast Asia. Southeast Asian countries were among the first affected by the virus outside of China.

TeaToe

Oct 30, 2018
Where you read that?

It's a lab test.
Plus since it's involve bio stuff probably the containment for the sample is more than 5 dollar.

Here in Singapore you get tested only if you are showing symptom and you have meet someone that is infected cannot be only 5 dollar, if the requirement are so strict.

(i think also if you get pneumonia now you get tested)
It was during WHO live briefing yesterday.

They said the test kit cost $5.

But probably that $5 cost doesn't include labor.

But again, latest estimate, treating COVID-19 patient costs $3000 on average.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
In case people missed the post from way back, I have this on my bookmark to see the latest figures of the virus in a single page.

It's not real-time, but I think the dash board is updated every hour. Super useful.

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

You're probably thinking about South Asia, not Southeast Asia. Southeast Asian countries were among the first affected by the virus outside of China.

That site looks like some 1990s spy film operating system shit its so cool. Interesting looking at the recovery numbers/trends. Although I don't think it is entirely accurate because there are no confirmed cases in the UK on there and we have 15.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017

This decision in the U.K. seems kind of short-sighted imo.

Won't apply to the majority of people I don't think. I know local government workers are mainly covered by the green book which says sick leave must be offered for situations like this and any sick leave incurred won't count towards your full/half pay entitlements

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
"Man quarantined on cruise ship in Japan becomes first Briton to die of coronavirus, Japanese media report

A British man who was onboard the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan has died from the coronavirus, Kyodo News reports.
The first foreign passenger to die, his death brings the toll among passengers from the vessel to six, according to Kyodo.
"

www.theguardian.com

Italy Covid-19 death toll rises to 21 as UK confirms 20th case – as it happened

Italian civil protection chief confirms 820 cases in the country while Boris Johnson says Covid-19 is UK government’s top priority.
(timestamp 13:16)

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
They are saying on radio 4 that this is now a real threat to Globalisation and freedom of movement as we know it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The virus has reached my country, The Netherlands now too. I'm not about to go into panic mode but the media sure seems to be. I was talking about this with a friend and when I told him that we young folks really should 't be overly worried he said that not only elderly people have died from it. Some young people too.

He mentioned a 35 year old doctor that during his work contracted Corona and passed away. According to him he had a normal/good immune system and was healthy. End of the day there's not much we can do. I try to wash my hands regularly daily and that's about it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The virus has reached my country, The Netherlands now too. I'm not about to go into panic mode but the media sure seems to be. I was talking about this with a friend and when I told him that we young folks really should 't be overly worried he said that not only elderly people have died from it. Some young people too.

He mentioned a 35 year old doctor that during his work contracted Corona and passed away. According to him he had a normal/good immune system and was healthy.

If you mean the doctor from Wuhan, I imagine complete exhaustion of medical staff in the center of the pandemic probably isn't very representative of how it would progress in other 35yo people.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017

He mentioned a 35 year old doctor that during his work contracted Corona and passed away. According to him he had a normal/good immune system and was healthy.

He was exposed to a lot of sick people, may have had another infection and had a very high viral load. For the vast majority of people, it will make you feel like you have the flu. It's certaingly not Contagion or any shit like that. Maybe you'll catch it but very probably you'll be fine. :-)

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna keep loading up on canned goods that I'll eat anyway. Moreso want to make sure that I have food in my house as I'm the kind of person that shops every week to resupply myself and if people panic they're going to start hoarding food and I won't be able to get any.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna keep loading up on canned goods that I'll eat anyway. Moreso want to make sure that I have food in my house as I'm the kind of person that shops every week to resupply myself and if people panic they're going to start hoarding food and I won't be able to get any.

Yeah, just got like a 20lb bag of rice, some beans, and a bunch of ramen...not that I necessarily think I'll need it, but I can see people panicking and wiping out store shelves.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
He was exposed to a lot of sick people, may have had another infection and had a very high viral load. For the vast majority of people, it will make you feel like you have the flu. It's certaingly not Contagion or any shit like that. Maybe you'll catch it but very probably you'll be fine. :-)

Yeah, I watched a video on it the other day. Someone in the know about things like this was on the news and explained what it would mean for most people in Holland. Like a normal flu but probably taking longer to go away than usually, he adviced to wash hands frequently too.

My stepfather on the other hand is an altogether different case and I think he needs to be careful. He is terminally ill, walks very, very bad, diabetic, doesn't get out much anymore and is mostly in bed, but even then. :(

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
First case showed in the town I'm in atm. 20,000 people live here. :/ Person was such for a week before seeking help, didn't isolate himself at home.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I am luckily (relatively) young but I do worry about the impact this may have on older members of my family.

Not really panicking (worrying about it doesn't do anything to help the situation) however my wife and I have stocked up on around three weeks worth of canned foods at the start of this week. I know for a fact that at some point there will be some panic buying here in the UK (look at the run on banks during the financial crisis or when there have been fuel shortages in the past).

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Nov 7, 2017
Hey all, I'm feeling super hopeless right now. Last month, January 21st to be exact, I started getting flu symptoms (runny nose, feeling unwell/weak, and sore throat), and I asked my mom for some over the counter flu medicine, as I felt too bad to go pick them up myself, a week later I got fever and did the same, asked my mom for medicine, as the concern kicked in (had the fever for 2 days), then felt ok, a couple days later from then, I developed a cough, and thought better safe than sorry, again (sorry mom, really) asked for over the counter medicine and masks to protect those around me, in some way (in addition, I'm currently unemployed and rarely leave my room, now more than ever), the cough went away a week later but I kept using a mask, as the cough left me feeling agitated and my breathing ability felt slightly abnormal and deteriorated. Fast forward to last Sunday, my breathing got worse, way worse, the shortness of breath was clearly present and panic followed, never felt anything of that sort, not even close, so I called my mom and told her if she could pick me up and take me to the doctor, at this point in my mind, public transportation was not an option (what if I indeed carry the virus?), nor borrowing her car and going alone, I don't know how to drive, plus it would not be prudent to drive while you feel like you could soon cease to breath.

Once there, I was told I had arrived with hypertension, again, never had that, I told them about my previous flue symptoms, the fever and the cough, and my inability to breathe properly and how I felt like the air I breathe is not enough and the hunger I desire for more oxygen, as if my lungs don't expand properly every time I try to inhale air, and touched on my concerns about the coronavirus (which was met with silence). A blood test, an x-ray of my chest area, and an hour of IV fluids later, they told me the blood test came out completely fine and the x-rays only revealed very, very minimal inflammation but came out majorly fine, after I got the results they sent me home with a prescription including a strong anti-biotic and naproxen (anti-inflammatory) and gave me the order to call them in a week if my high blood pressure failed to stabilise itself (weird as hell). I'm also immunocompromised and as a result, a germaphobe, which I let both the doctor and nurse know, they pretty much shrugged it off.

My shortness of breath is still there, at times I feel it's getting worse, and I've been checking my blood pressure manually every day since my visit to the doctor and it's not going down. Last night, I called the doctor and told him about it, and he told me to get medication to lower my blood pressure and didn't say a thing about my shortness of breath, despite the fact that asked him for an opinion regarding that.

I can't go to another doctor because I can't afford it at the moment, and I'm scared to rush to the less costly general hospital, because there's lots of people there, and am afraid because going by my current and previous symptoms, the probability of being a carrier is quite strong I'd say, and the last thing I want to do, is to expose a building full of the weak and ill, and in my experience, doctors here are clearly not prepared for this and are not being cautious at all. I will have to wait three more days to go visit another doctor, in the meantime I will continue to isolate myself. And before people say "if you haven't been to a place with confirmed cases, then there's no reason for you to worry, there's a higher chance of dying from *insert another tragic cause here* then the coronavirus", as if that means anything, considering tests are scarce and a bunch of countries don't have them, which means, no kits equals no confirmed cases, no confirmed cases does not equal no cases, regardless, it doesn't need to be me the one who travels, when other people do.

The downplaying of the coronavirus here is real, people in general are not alert and treat it as a joke, my mom seems concerned but doesn't take most precautions seriously, her boyfriend is mostly unbothered, my sisters and father are completely unbothered, "the flu kills a lot of people every year", etc... My father's hand washing habit is weak as hell. It's so frustrating, I feel alone.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Hey all, I'm feeling super hopeless right now. Last month, January 21st to be exact, I started getting flu symptoms (runny nose, feeling unwell/weak, and sore throat), and I asked my mom for some over the counter flu medicine, as I felt too bad to go pick them up myself, a week later I got fever and did the same, asked my mom for medicine, as the concern kicked in (had the fever for 2 days), then felt ok, a couple days later from then, I developed a cough, and thought better safe than sorry, again (sorry mom, really) asked for over the counter medicine and masks to protect those around me, in some way (in addition, I'm currently unemployed and rarely leave my room, now more than ever), the cough went away a week later but I kept using a mask, as the cough left me feeling agitated and my breathing ability felt slightly abnormal and deteriorated. Fast forward to last Sunday, my breathing got worse, way worse, the shortness of breath was clearly present and panic followed, never felt anything of that sort, not even close, so I called my mom and told her if she could pick me up and take me to the doctor, at this point in my mind, public transportation was not an option (what if I indeed carry the virus?), nor borrowing her car and going alone, I don't know how to drive, plus it would not be prudent to drive while you feel like you could soon cease to breath.

Once there, I was told I had arrived with hypertension, again, never had that, I told them about my previous flue symptoms, the fever and the cough, and my inability to breathe properly and how I felt like the air I breathe is not enough and the hunger I desire for more oxygen, as if my lungs don't expand properly every time I try to inhale air, and touched on my concerns about the coronavirus (which was met with silence). A blood test, an x-ray of my chest area, and an hour of IV fluids later, they told me the blood test came out completely fine and the x-rays only revealed very, very minimal inflammation but came out majorly fine, after I got the results they sent me home with a prescription including a strong anti-biotic and naproxen (anti-inflammatory) and gave me the order to call them in a week if my high blood pressure failed to stabilise itself (weird as hell). I'm also immunocompromised and as a result, a germaphobe, which I let both the doctor and nurse know, they pretty much shrugged it off.

My shortness of breath is still there, at times I feel it's getting worse, and I've been checking my blood pressure manually every day since my visit to the doctor and it's not going down. Last night, I called the doctor and told him about it, and he told me to get medication to lower my blood pressure and didn't say a thing about my shortness of breath, despite the fact that asked him for an opinion regarding that.

I can't go to another doctor because I can't afford it at the moment, and I'm scared to rush to the less costly general hospital, because there's lots of people there, and am afraid because going by my current and previous symptoms, the probability of being a carrier is quite strong I'd say, and the last thing I want to do, is to expose a building full of the weak and ill, and in my experience, doctors here are clearly not prepared for this and are not being cautious at all. I will have to wait three more days to go visit another doctor, in the meantime I will continue to isolate myself. And before people say "if you haven't been to a place with confirmed cases, then there's no reason for you to worry, there's a higher chance of dying from *insert another tragic cause here* then the coronavirus", as if that means anything, considering tests are scarce and a bunch of countries don't have them, which means, no kits equals no confirmed cases, no confirmed cases does not equal no cases, regardless, it doesn't need to be me the one who travels, when other people do.

The downplaying of the coronavirus here is real, people in general are not alert and treat it as a joke, my mom seems concerned but doesn't take most precautions seriously, her boyfriend is mostly unbothered, my sisters and father are completely unbothered, "the flu kills a lot of people every year", etc... My father's hand washing habit is weak as hell. It's so frustrating, I feel alone.

Ugh, that sucks, I'm sorry that's happening to you.
However, seeing as your results were fine, do you have a history of anxiety attacks? It can feel like shortness of breath, exactly like you describe, have you considered it might be mental health related?

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

Isn't runny nose an aspect not associated with COVID-19? It's mainly shortness of breath, dry cough and fatigue.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Many imaginary internet points to the first person who makes this a real thing:
Lore fragment from The Talos Principle. Hopefully the dog discussed yesterday is in fact fine and *dancing dog*.
Code:
B01: got_it_lyrics.html
<CANNOT LOAD VIDEO FILE>
My new song with lyrics. Gotta laugh about this stuff! Laughter
is the best medicine, LOL.
Lyrics:
I've got it
You've got it
He's got it
She's got it
Mommy's got it
Daddy's got it
Baby's got it
Granny's got it
Laddie's got it
Fatty's got it
Happy's got it
Sappy's got it
Chorus:
Everybody!
Everybody's got it!
Come on!
Jack's got it
Fred's got it
Bob's got it
Dog's g-
Dog is fine!
Chorus:
Woof woof woof!
Woof woof woof!
*dancing dog*
Everybody!
Everybody's got it!
Except Dog! (Woof!)
We've got it
We've got it
We've got it
Everybody's got it!
<FAVORITE> <ADD TO PLAYLIST>

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I watched a video on it the other day. Someone in the know about things like this was on the news and explained what it would mean for most people in Holland. Like a normal flu but probably taking longer to go away than usually, he adviced to wash hands frequently too.

My stepfather on the other hand is an altogether different case and I think he needs to be careful. He is terminally ill, walks very, very bad, diabetic, doesn't get out much anymore and is mostly in bed, but even then. :(

Yeah, it's people with chronic conditions and weak immune systems we really need to worry about. It's the scary bit and I hope your stepfather is okay through it all.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I left an area where I saw one dude coughing and clearing his forehead. You may never know where this virus is at this point, so better safe than sorry.

I think it's 90% fever + 70% dry cough.

Ohhhh ok. My apologies on that. Thanks for the clarification!

Mar 29, 2018
What make singapore so special? Do people there eat superfruit?
It's a small and very rich city state. Very clean, very good welfare system, relatively low population. Easy to control such a thing and keep people safe.

So minus Antarctica, almost all continents got the virus - why is it not declared a pandemic then?
Very good question which should be asked in a press briefing with the World Health Organization.
Because a pandemic requires "community-level" outbreaks in multiple countries. Right now there are only confirmed community level outbreaks in China (as in, a massive community have it and are spreading it, with cases in the thousands)

I mean we're probably still there already, they just need to wait for "official" numbers to hit the margin

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Three suspected corona cases in my city since today. One primary school has been closed. Guess it's time for some extended grocery shopping after work.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a small and very rich city state. Very clean, very good welfare system, relatively low population. Easy to control such a thing and keep people safe.

Because a pandemic requires "community-level" outbreaks in multiple countries. Right now there are only confirmed community level outbreaks in China (as in, a massive community have it and are spreading it, with cases in the thousands)

I mean we're probably still there already, they just need to wait for "official" numbers to hit the margin

There is definitely a community outbreak in Korea, and depending on how large, Iran and possibly Italy as well. One is likely to be discovered in the US once the US actually starts testing people.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Three suspected corona cases in my city since today. One primary school has been closed. Guess it's time for some extended grocery shopping after work.

There are a rumor about us too, but still to be sure with result from Ontario, they said they've return the person to his house.....

My nose has been legit stuffed for over 3 weeks. Like, I've never had something last so long

Probs Corona

Funny 1 month for me.... never happen before. It's probably not corona thought...

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

First and foremost...don't worry. It is not COVID-19 for that length of time.

I would agree with what is mentioned above, having suffered with various degrees of anxiety (being uncomfortable to full on passing out, panic attacks and going to hospital) it sounds like some of your symptoms could be due to that (especially since it sounds like you have be very much checked out already by doctors).

Checking your blood pressure every few moments will not help...I used to do exactly the same thing with my pulse rate and it causes more issues than anything.

I also don't think it is being downplayed in any way, quite the opposite in fact - especially by the media and the slant that gets put on any news. Realistically what do you want people to do...panic? start screaming in the street?