• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
First case in my city (Hamburg, Germany) and as I have type 1 diabetes, I'm in the high-risk group. Time to stock up, I guess...

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
they should have other ways to deal with this. we're talking about the UK, ffs.

You say that like we have some kind of advanced, efficient infrastructure and leadership with the ability to react swiftly and strategically to chaos and disaster.

Lol.

It's gonna be a hell of a year. Starter is this national shitshow of massive, largely avoidable flooding. Main course is a mass social panic and potential healthcare disaster of a Coronavirus epidemic within an overstretched and systematically underfunded NHS. All that topped off with the sweet, sweet dessert of a catastrophic and entirely self-inflicted no-deal Brexit.

And that's just the 2020 shite we know about.

Last edited:

data

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most lotions i have used have some kind of alcohol component which irritates the already harmed skin even more though.
Maybe i will simply stay at a home a day to let my hands recover. A lot of handwashing ahead in the times to come anyway....

I feel your pain. I wash my hands about 100 times per day due to OCD. 'O'Keeffe's working hands" is a life saver for me (I'm in the UK). I apply it three times per day and once before bed.

All the best to everyone with regards to this virus.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

With that single person being found after the fact up north, this was only a matter of time.
The bay and most of northern California gonna be tense for a while.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Here's what I bought the last few days.

local organic grocery:
~5 lbs dried black beans
~5 lbs dried dark red kidney beans
~5 lbs red lentils
coconut butter (good in oatmeal)
cashew butter (to try, was on sale)

local chinese grocery:
~15-20 lbs of various rices, no packages more than 5 lbs due to concerns about spoilage/pests after opening. currently they're in freezer for a week.
jar of looseleaf tea
chili sauce

Costco
9 lbs wheat pasta (low-nutrition imo; unfortunately they stopped carrying my favorite protein-rich chickpea-based brand, Banza)
14 lbs my favored Bob's Red Mill oatmeal (got 1 more bag than usual)
24 pastured eggs (my usual)
Kerrygold Irish butter 4-pack (my usual)
Peanut butter two-pack (my usual)
Shredded parmigiana
Jar of pesto
6-pack of good tuna in olive oil
4-pack Lysol antiviral disinfectant spray, probably kind of dumb and will rarely use but maybe for deep cleaning? i don't know, impulse
re: water, they only had packages of single-serving plastic bottles (Earth-destroying trash) and 1-liter plastic bottles, so I passed. not super concerned. maybe i'll find larger jugs at Safeway or somesuch. Bay Area tap water is good quality fwiw.

Amazon (they picked a perfect time to give me a 1-month Prime trial)
24-pack of my preferred good-quality tuna in olive oil, though only halfway through last one (the price went up a bunch)
two 24-packs of shit-quality Maruchan noodles, just in case (creamy chicken, chili)
two looseleaf teas

Trader Joe's
3 pounds cheap basmati rice (spellcheck wants to say baptismal, lol)
Three dark chocolate lover's bars (one more than usual)

For a layperson dummy I consider myself fairly well informed on coronavirus happenings, largely thanks to this thread + Twitter. Even so I would have preferred to have taken care of this stocking-up a bit earlier, maybe last week. My mistake.

There are probably a few more things I could get to round this off. Like my preferred chickpea pasta, which I saw for a little more than Costco at another grocer. And a couple good flashlights + batteries, mine are ancient and trash. Still, feeling decent about my ability to stay at home for a good period.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It's amazing that most IT companies I know, including my last company, are making their employees work from home but the current company I'm in, doesn't care. I was planning to leave later this year, but I hope to leave by late this spring now.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been picking up a few random odds and ends every day after work, hopefully I'll have a stockpile so that I won't have to go to the store for a few weeks.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that most IT companies I know, including my last company, are making their employees work from home but the current company I'm in, doesn't care. I was planning to leave later this year, but I hope to leave by late this spring now.

I'm happy that for the most part I can work from home on most things if necessary, going to be interesting how my company responds if we start getting more cases where I live. Definitely going to be taking my mobile work laptop with me when I go home every night just encase. Generally leave it at work but seems like the kinda small change in my work ethic that can make a difference should the worst happen.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I was able to convince my husband that we needed extra on the 25th and that things might get a bit crazy due to panic soon. We were able to stock up almost a month of stuff we could use from Cosco with the only items they were out off being anti-viral tissues. Apparently now they are starting to run low on a lot in some places

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I bought the last few days.

local organic grocery:
~5 lbs dried black beans
~5 lbs dried dark red kidney beans
~5 lbs red lentils
coconut butter (good in oatmeal)
cashew butter (to try, was on sale)

local chinese grocery:
~15-20 lbs of various rices, no packages more than 5 lbs due to concerns about spoilage/pests after opening. currently they're in freezer for a week.
jar of looseleaf tea
chili sauce

Costco
9 lbs wheat pasta (low-nutrition imo; unfortunately they stopped carrying my favorite protein-rich chickpea-based brand, Banza)
14 lbs my favored Bob's Red Mill oatmeal (got 1 more bag than usual)
24 pastured eggs (my usual)
Kerrygold Irish butter 4-pack (my usual)
Peanut butter two-pack (my usual)
Shredded parmigiana
Jar of pesto
6-pack of good tuna in olive oil
4-pack Lysol antiviral disinfectant spray, probably kind of dumb and will rarely use but maybe for deep cleaning? i don't know, impulse
re: water, they only had packages of single-serving plastic bottles (Earth-destroying trash) and 1-liter plastic bottles, so I passed. not super concerned. maybe i'll find larger jugs at Safeway or somesuch. Bay Area tap water is good quality fwiw.

Amazon (they picked a perfect time to give me a 1-month Prime trial)
24-pack of my preferred good-quality tuna in olive oil, though only halfway through last one (the price went up a bunch)
two 24-packs of shit-quality Maruchan noodles, just in case (creamy chicken, chili)
two looseleaf teas

Trader Joe's
3 pounds cheap basmati rice (spellcheck wants to say baptismal, lol)
Three dark chocolate lover's bars (one more than usual)

For a layperson dummy I consider myself fairly well informed on coronavirus happenings, largely thanks to this thread + Twitter. Even so I would have preferred to have taken care of this stocking-up a bit earlier, maybe last week. My mistake.

There are probably a few more things I could get to round this off. Like my preferred chickpea pasta, which I saw for a little more than Costco at another grocer. And a couple good flashlights + batteries, mine are ancient and trash. Still, feeling decent about my ability to stay at home for a good period.

Highly recommend adding plenty of green vegetables (frozen and/or canned) and some more meat to that. All of the stuff you got is great, really good prep, but it's very heavy on the carbs.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Damn, local news saying around 132 suspected cases here (Brasil). Secretary of Health (I think) said the number is probably closer to 300 (suspected).

I'm guessing we're a giant Corona virus shaped time bomb right now. If anyone infected went to any of our massive carnaval parties (99% chance they did) we're gonna be in bad shape

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing we're a giant Corona virus shaped time bomb right now. If anyone infected went to any of our massive carnaval parties (99% chance they did) we're gonna be in bad shape

Yeah, I've been saying since the last thread that the carnaval had a massive chance of being a huge mess due to this. Only a matter of time to know it for sure now.

Way, way too many people from across the world in crowded spaces exchanging fluids (nothing against that, mind you, just stating the facts). It's the perfect recipe.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to how the CDC botched the testing kits this much when every other developed nation has no problem testing thousands of patients daily. Their funding didn't get gutted that badly, right?
It totally did. I think I have seen it said we currently have 10 of the originally 47 branches/offices/whatever they are parts of the CDC, the other 30 got cut - in particular literally the pandemic response one

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Highly recommend adding plenty of green vegetables (frozen and/or canned) and some more meat to that. All of the stuff you got is great, really good prep, but it's very heavy on the carbs.
Ah, good point, it does look that from what I shared. The reason is because I already had a bunch of meat / frozen veg / protein in the freezer. I can't really fit much more, so didn't stock up further. I just kind of accept that I will have to go out to replenish fresh/frozen veggies and meat when they run out or spoil. I'm at my fridge's limit.

Glad you approve!

Edit: Oh yeah, you did mention canned veggies. Hmm, not usually in my pantry or repertoire. Do you have any recommendations for healthy veggies amenable to canning?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, good point, it does look that from what I shared. The reason is because I already had a bunch of meat / frozen veg / protein in the freezer. I can't really fit much more, so didn't stock up further. I just kind of accept that I will have to go out to replenish fresh/frozen veggies and meat when they run out or spoil. I'm at my fridge's limit.

Glad you approve!

I bought three jars of peanut butter today, am I done

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Glad you approve!

Awesome, you're set for a hell of long time.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Now that I think about it, isn't this like the worst time for a United Kingdom without Europe support? That Brexit surely kicked in in the worst time.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Brazil, went to carnival and now I have a sore throat, sneezing and some kind of eye infection. It could just be the post-carnival flu we get every year or I could have the virus.

I'm frankly more worried if it's not the virus, because what I have is mild so far, but if I catch the virus on top of this, I think it could get serious. I'm trying not to freak out rn.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've mostly bought soups, beans, canned tuna/chicken. 5lbs of rice. Couple of steaks in the freezer that I'll hold onto instead of making this week.
Probably should get some pasta and canned veg.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed you did mention canned veggies. Not usually in my pantry or repertoire. Do you have any recommendations for healthy veggies amenable to canning?

Peas, green beans, and "vegetable medley" cans are the go-to. Carrots are probably good to add too. Any brand will do, just make sure they're not packed with salt.

Chunky canned soups are good for meat and veggies as well, but you really have to be careful with the sodium on those.

For canned meat, Swanson has some good options for chicken if you want more than tuna. Stagg Silverado Chili is great as well.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Their shares have plummeted in the last few days

Hj9mhXg.png

Poor guys

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
How is possible that freaking California has less test kits than the region of Lombardia?
They really have to put some areas on lockdown. It's the only way the virus has been contained in most parts of the world and the main reason why we're not already in an unstoppable pandemic situation. But if USA don't apply the same procedures, everything the rest of the world did would be pretty much pointless considering the number of people travelling in and out of America.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wait really? Do you have a link showing the pandemic response unit was cut?

thebulletin.org

Outbreaks of lethal diseases happen regularly. The US government just cut funding for the hospitals that deal with them

After cases of Ebola begin showing up in the United States in 2014, the US government created a tiered system of hospitals to deal with the virus and other serious infectious diseases. Despite the fact that outbreaks of lethal diseases--like the coronavirus that's spreading in Wuhan, China--are...

Well this was one thing that got cut.
Among other things.

fortune.com

Trump administration budget cuts could become a major problem as coronavirus spreads

Several global health units of the U.S. government have faced budget crises—or shut down completely.

You have 100 public health labs but only 3 are able to do the tests for the virus. 3 for the whole of USA. I worry for you guys🙁

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Brazil, went to carnival and now I have a sore throat, sneezing and some kind of eye infection. It could just be the post-carnival flu we get every year or I could have the virus.

I'm frankly more worried if it's not the virus, because what I have is mild so far, but if I catch the virus on top of this, I think it could get serious. I'm trying not to freak out rn.

Incubation is like 10 days.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018

That's all upper respiratory tract, while corona mostly affects the lower respiratory area. Plus the first symptoms are usually fever and a dry cough. You probably caught some other s*** ;)

J2C

Oct 26, 2017

Relevant information:
"Notably, the COVID-19 infection rarely seems to cause a runny nose, sneezing, or sore throat (these symptoms have been observed in only about 5% of patients). Sore throat, sneezing,and stuffy nose are most often signs of a cold."

www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I spontaneously went for a first round of prep shopping after work but mostly stuck to soup and canned veggies that were on sale. Should probably round that out lol