• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
OKC
is there anything positive or optimistic news-wise at all right now? the overwhelming bleakness of the reporting is really really fucking with my mental health and i just cant find anything that helps my anxiety about this in any way the past few days.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
When they say mild do they mean like a petty cold, or mild like a flu (which while it is not as dangerous as covid- is not something I would describe as a 'mild' experience)

It depends on the person it seems. Some people have barely any symptoms, some have cold-like, some have flu-like.

Mild in this case just seems to mean you don't need to go to the hospital/need oxygen.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
It seems anyway that most of Italy is moving on from the containment measures. So much that the big Serie A game between Juventus and Inter (scheduled for saturday night) might be opened to the fans. And we're talking 40 thousands people gathered in Turin from all over the country.
I don't know if this is a good signal or if it's just insane.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they say mild do they mean like a petty cold, or mild like a flu (which while it is not as dangerous as covid- is not something I would describe as a 'mild' experience)
From what i have gathered they mean regular flu like symptoms in majority of cases, so fever, muscle ache, fatigue, cough etc. and some dont even show those or only one or two.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
Amazed by the amount of people I encounter who continue to spout that this is basically "just the flu" and nothing to be overly concerned about. Guess when you have the US President parroting the same crap it's to be expected. My question for those people is when was the last time millions of people were quarantined over the flu? Because I sure as hell don't remember that happening in my lifetime.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Going forward, we're going to be moderating this thread more strictly. This includes the aforementioned fear-mongering, conspiracy theories, and unverified information, as well as commentary that is unnecessarily dismissive of the seriousness of the situation. Please keep this in mind. Thank you.

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Again, this is a good site to track number of cases/deaths over time. Lots of info.

www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
It's misleading to think this way, though. Active cases are now skyrocketing in Europe and South Korea. Only decreasing in China (which is skewing overall statistics).
If China can get a hold on the virus then Europe is more than capable. I don't expect things too get nearly as bad in Europe as they got in China. Also the population density of China is roughly 4x that of Europe.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
15 new infections in Germany.
14 around the Düsseldorf region (first patient was yesterday), one in Kaiserslautern (zero infections yesterday)

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
is there anything positive or optimistic news-wise at all right now? the overwhelming bleakness of the reporting is really really fucking with my mental health and i just cant find anything that helps my anxiety about this in any way the past few days.
China's numbers of active cases keep going down and I believe the trend

itsinmyveins

May 4, 2019
This statement is kinda confusing. I don't get it.

"Oral, nasal and rectal samples were collected for testing of COVID-19 virus. The nasal and oral cavity samples were tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus.

At present, the AFCD does not have evidence that pet animals can be infected with COVID-19 virus or can be a source of infection to people".

Further down in the statement:

"The Department will conduct close monitoring of the above dog and collect further samples for testing to confirm if the dog has really been infected with the virus or this is a result of environmental contamination of the dog's mouth and nose. Repeated tests will be conducted for the dog and it will only be returned when the test result is negative."

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
"Oral, nasal and rectal samples were collected for testing of COVID-19 virus. The nasal and oral cavity samples were tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus. The dog does not have any relevant symptoms… At present, the AFCD does not have evidence that pet animals can be infected with COVID-19 virus or can be a source of infection to people. The Department will conduct close monitoring of the above dog and collect further samples for testing to confirm if the dog has really been infected with the virus or this is a result of environmental contamination of the dog's mouth and nose."

Press statement and more info here:

Detection of low level of COVID-19 virus in pet dog

A spokesman for the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said today (February 28) that a pet dog had been tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus. The...
That's what I get for reading just the tweet

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

This is what I asked yesterday and whilst some responses were reassuring it's also pretty difficult to ignore how rapidly this thing is moving around, it feels like we are playing catchup, most people don't even know they have it until it's too late.

Very concerning.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy

A lot of people are recovering in Italy. In Milan they isolated the virus and the research on a vaccine is proceeding. The triple therapy (an anti-ebola treatment, an old one against hiv and another medicine I don't remember) seems to be effective in most of the cases, at least here in Italy.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
A lot of people are recovering in Italy. In Milan they isolated the virus and the research on a vaccine is proceeding. The triple therapy (an anti-ebola treatment, an old one against hiv and another medicine I don't remember) seems to be effective in most of the cases, at least here in Italy.

This is reassuring.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any precedent to the US closing schools and shutting down international travel? And do you think this should be done preemptively?

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, this is a good site to track number of cases/deaths over time. Lots of info.

www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...
Thank you. How trustworthy is the site, especially regarding age brackets' CFR? My parents are both above 70 (plus my dad has cancer) and I was trying to explain to them that this isn't "just like the flu"; I kind of wanted to share them that link but I don't want to be fearmongering either.

data

Oct 25, 2017
If China can get a hold on the virus then Europe is more than capable. I don't expect things too get nearly as bad in Europe as they got in China. Also the population density of China is roughly 4x that of Europe.
I think the main reason that China was able to take hold was because they enacted one of the biggest quarantines at site zero, Hubei.

That won't fly in a lot of Western countries.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

"The Department will conduct close monitoring of the above dog and collect further samples for testing to confirm if the dog has really been infected with the virus or this is a result of environmental contamination of the dog's mouth and nose. Repeated tests will be conducted for the dog and it will only be returned when the test result is negative."
Okay. So the dog could've licked the virus and not be infected. Hopefully that's the case.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
These vaccine stories are such bullshit. The SEC better be investigating every single one of them

What the company said is probably that they have a possible vacine candidate that they will start testing. Even if the candidate is viable all sources say that it is going to take 12 to 18 months until a vaccine can be comercialized. We are not getting a wundercure in a couple of months.

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Thank you. How trustworthy is the site, especially regarding age brackets' CFR? My parents are both above 70 (plus my dad has cancer) and I was trying to explain to them that this isn't "just like the flu"; I kind of wanted to share them that link but I don't want to be fearmongering either.

It's pretty accurate. It tracks a whole lot of real time info and stats, this is just their section on the virus.

From their about us page:

Worldometer is run by an international team of developers, researchers, and volunteers with the goal of making world statistics available in a thought-provoking and time relevant format to a wide audience around the world. Worldometer is owned by Dadax, an independent company. We have no political, governmental, or corporate affiliation.

Trusted Authority
Worldometer was voted as one of the best free reference websites by the American Library Association (ALA), the oldest and largest library association in the world.

We have licensed our counters at the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20), to BBC News, and to the U2 concert, among others.

Worldometer is cited as a source in over 3500 published books, in more than 2000 professional journal articles, and in over 1000 Wikipedia pages.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

China also changed the diagnostic criteria a couple weeks ago, so the number of cases is going to go down by definition.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
China also did an unprecedented lockdown of their cities and people. They literally were guarding apartment complexes etc preventing people from leaving. The west will never manage that style of lockdown. China doesn't care if somebody died because of the lockdown. You won't see the same type of respond in Europe or the US etc

data

Oct 25, 2017
What the company said is probably that they have a possible vacine candidate that they will start testing. Even if the candidate is viable all sources say that it is going to take 12 to 18 months until a vaccine can be comercialized. We are not getting a wundercure in a couple of months.
There's been a lot of companies saying that though. I don't doubt some are true and on their way to the actual vaccine, but some may just be ways to get more funding since I remember reading one of the first companies stating they had potential but looking at their output, they didn't have anything to show for it.

It was one of the early articles in the old thread

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
What's the mutation rate of typical coronaviruses?
Can be pretty rapid. Coronaviruses are pretty common as well (one of the more prevelant causes of common cold for example). The one possible upside of being a coronavirus is it actually may mutate over time into another version of the common cold where it isn't normally lethal. Time will tell.

China also did an unprecedented lockdown of their cities and people. They literally were guarding apartment complexes etc preventing people from leaving. The west will never manage that style of lockdown. China doesn't care if somebody died because of the lockdown. You won't see the same type of respond in Europe or the US etc
Since this virus is basically approaching a worldwide pandemic phase now, going forward that technique will not be very effective unless they want to crush their economy (e.g., ban all foreign travel, lockdown cities when a community outbreak occurs, etc...). Basically pandemic phase is all about mitigation, not containment.

Min

Oct 25, 2017

I mean if my parents were in their 70s and one was battling cancer, then I would also be trying to get them to understand that the flu "isn't just the flu" as well.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

There are countless professional men and women who are very good at their jobs and are working hard on all facets of this issue. There is also still time to take basic preparatory steps in most of the West. I'm not one of those "it's just a flu, bro" types, but another positive is that this is not some kind of ebola "your organs bleed out of your eyes" disease. It's a very bad flu, one you don't want to catch or spread, but it isn't an apocalyptic virus.

Another very positive thing is that even though it is spreading throughout the world, nobody is seeing anything at all like what Hubei saw at its worst, which indicates that precautions and steps being taken by governments around the world are having a positive effect. Even in China, other regions are not being hit nearly as hard as Hubei. Iran is the only place that appears to be genuinely screwing up in their reactions.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Can be pretty rapid. Coronaviruses are pretty common as well (one of the more prevelant causes of common cold for example). The one possible upside of being a coronavirus is it actually may mutate over time into another version of the common cold where it isn't normally lethal. Time will tell.
That would be interesting but I think that would take way too many cycles considering this first came from an animal.

Let's hope it doesn't mutate or at least mutate into a more milder version of the current form.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if my parents were in their 70s and one was battling cancer, then I would also be trying to get them to understand that the flu "isn't just the flu" as well.
Yeah, sorry, I should have worded that differently. My dad is one of those "won't go to the doctor until things get bad" kind of person. A couple of months ago we had quite a scare because he thought he could handle fever and diarrhea just by drinking pedialyte and antipyretics. He ended up hospitalized almost a month with a compromised liver. So I'm trying to get him to understand this stuff is serious and isn't a common cold (which is what I should have said instead of the flu). Apologies.
It's pretty accurate. It tracks a whole lot of real time info and stats, this is just their section on the virus.

From their about us page:
Thanks, that's very informative. I'll talk to my parents about this.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
There are countless professional men and women who are very good at their jobs and are working hard on all facets of this issue. There is also still time to take basic preparatory steps in most of the West. I'm not one of those "it's just a flu, bro" types, but another positive is that this is not some kind of ebola "your organs bleed out of your eyes" disease. It's a very bad flu, one you don't want to catch or spread, but it isn't an apocalyptic virus.

Another very positive thing is that even though it is spreading throughout the world, nobody is seeing anything at all like what Hubei saw at its worst, which indicates that precautions and steps being taken by governments around the world are having a positive effect. Even in China, other regions are not being hit nearly as hard as Hubei. Iran is the only place that appears to be genuinely screwing up in their reactions.

thank you, that does make me feel better

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
www.reuters.com

Shenzhen prepares ban on eating cats and dogs after outbreak

The southern Chinese technology hub of Shenzhen is moving to outlaw the consumption of dogs and cats as the country clamps down on the wildlife trade that scientists suspect led to the coronavirus outbreak.

SHENZHEN, China, Feb 27 (Reuters) - The southern Chinese technology hub of Shenzhen is moving to outlaw the consumption of dogs and cats as the country clamps down on the wildlife trade that scientists suspect led to the coronavirus outbreak.

The document recognised dogs and cats' status as pets and would ban their consumption. Snakes, turtles and frogs were excluded from the approved list, despite being popular dishes in China's south.

Those caught eating protected animals would be fined up to 20,000 yuan ($2,850) and up to 2,000 yuan for non-protected animals, according to the draft. Shops serving protected meat face fines of up to 50,000 yuan

data

Oct 25, 2017
www.reuters.com

Shenzhen prepares ban on eating cats and dogs after outbreak

The southern Chinese technology hub of Shenzhen is moving to outlaw the consumption of dogs and cats as the country clamps down on the wildlife trade that scientists suspect led to the coronavirus outbreak.
It's good this is happening after the fact, though I doubt it'll be enforced.

If SARs wasn't enough to put the government into action, COVID-19 ain't gonna put a damper on the practice.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how the articles are reading.

Since this virus is basically approaching a worldwide pandemic phase now, going forward that technique will not be very effective unless they want to crush their economy (e.g., ban all foreign travel, lockdown cities when a community outbreak occurs, etc...). Basically pandemic phase is all about mitigation, not containment.
unfortunately for China what they did might be all for naught. The virus could come right back to them from other countries now. Which is why to your point it is not sustainable

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017

This is just further proof that single tweets are terrible in conveying accurate information and journalism often has major issues with miscommunicating what scientists are actually saying.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
It seems anyway that most of Italy is moving on from the containment measures. So much that the big Serie A game between Juventus and Inter (scheduled for saturday night) might be opened to the fans. And we're talking 40 thousands people gathered in Turin from all over the country.
I don't know if this is a good signal or if it's just insane.
I would avoid to open the stadium to fans for the game between Juventus and Inter. Not only there would be thousands of people together, but it is certain many Inter's supporters would come to Turin from all over Lombardia. I understand that it is not possible anymore to postpone other games because of a strict schedule before EURO2020, but at least they could play closed-door.