• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Daily podcast from NYT basically says the worst case scenario is a repeat of the 1918 Spanish Flu when it emerged in the late winter/early spring, vanished in the summer, and then came back the next fall/winter with a fucking vengeance and struck the population hardcore.

I don't think the US is ready. Hopefully Canadian authorities are prepped for something like that.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
question, if you get it...........are most people recovering perfectly fine at home with plenty of fluids and rest? Because I'm pretty sure most in the states are going to refuse going to the hospital if need to just based on the fucking cost sink of it just walking in the door

Seems 80% of confirmed cases are mild, so I would say yes. Similar to the flu in that most can recover at home.

Note: I am not comparing it to the flu, just saying you can recover without hospitalisation/anti-virals.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
question, if you get it...........are most people recovering perfectly fine at home with plenty of fluids and rest? Because I'm pretty sure most in the states are going to refuse going to the hospital if need to just based on the fucking cost sink of it just walking in the door
Vast majority recover just fine with rest and fluids. Only if you get the severe pneumonia do you require hospitalization.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm flying in a couple of days because I've got to go back to my country on sunday. I haven't been able to find masks where I am, but I was given a "city mask" that's used to filter smog. Will that do or should I keep looking for a suitable mask?

My country has no registered cases of coronavirus so far, so I would hate to hit my local news as "the guy who brought the virus".

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
never had Pneumonia as far as i remember......not sure how it feels since it acts along the lines of the flu. I'm assuming its insanely hard to breath or something?
If you get shortness of breath and general fatigue, withhigh fever, you'd better go to the hospital. You'll know it if you have severe pneumonia. You can also try to look for low blood pressure if you have a blood pressure measuring machine. (not sure what that is called in english).

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
May be a silly question, but I was planning on taking a vacation with my family from Chicago to San Francisco at the end of March, should I think twice? My oldest son was also planning on going from Chicago to UK during this time.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can think I never had pneumonia, but last month I had the worst cold with difficulty breathing and chest pain, I wonder if it was actually slight pneumonia.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
nypost.com

Pope Francis sick a day after supporting coronavirus sufferers

Pope Francis has come down with a “slight indisposition,” forcing him to cancel a planned Mass in Rome, just a day after he expressed his solidarity with coronavirus sufferers around the world &#82…

man.....my mother is going to the Holy Land in like 3 weeks.........that virus could be everywhere over there on there visit. Wondering if stuff gets cancelled by then

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Daily podcast from NYT basically says the worst case scenario is a repeat of the 1918 Spanish Flu when it emerged in the late winter/early spring, vanished in the summer, and then came back the next fall/winter with a fucking vengeance and struck the population hardcore.

I don't think the US is ready. Hopefully Canadian authorities are prepped for something like that.

from Wikipedia

Deadly second wave
American Expeditionary Force victims of the Spanish flu at U.S. Army Camp Hospital no. 45 in Aix-les-Bains, France, in 1918

The second wave of the 1918 pandemic was much deadlier than the first. The first wave had resembled typical flu epidemics; those most at risk were the sick and elderly, while younger, healthier people recovered easily. By August, when the second wave began in France, Sierra Leone, and the United States,[88] the virus had mutated to a much deadlier form. October 1918 was the deadliest month of the whole pandemic.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
nypost.com

Pope Francis has come down with a “slight indisposition,” forcing him to cancel a planned Mass in Rome, just a day after he expressed his solidarity with coronavirus sufferers around the world &#82…

Famous/well known people getting coronavirus may actually assist with getting more people to pay attention and following guidelines. Seems doubtful that is what he has though.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I'm flying in a couple of days because I've got to go back to my country on sunday. I haven't been able to find masks where I am, but I was given a "city mask" that's used to filter smog. Will that do or should I keep looking for a suitable mask?

My country has no registered cases of coronavirus so far, so I would hate to hit my local news as "the guy who brought the virus".

Masks aren't going to do much for the general public; they're only recommended to those who are already sick or will have close contact with infected cases. It doesn't hurt to wear one, but you don't need to go out to buy a respirator mask unless you're a health professional. Here's a guide from the WHO on how to properly wear a mask:

www.who.int

When and how to use masks

WHO's guidance and advice on the use of masks to protect against and limit the spread of COVID-19.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
May be a silly question, but I was planning on taking a vacation with my family from Chicago to San Francisco at the end of March, should I think twice? My oldest son was also planning on going from Chicago to UK during this time.

By the end of next week we will have a better idea, as we are just starting real testing measures this week. San Francisco has declared a state of emergency, FWIW

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
nypost.com

First I was like "oh shit" but the headline seems a tad sensationalized; it sounded like they were saying he's now sick after meeting with those with COVID-19, but he literally just expressed support for their situation. Now he has a cold. They're pretty much unrelated, at least at this time. Plus it looks like his nose is drippin', which isn't a COVID-19 symptom. Obviously doesn't mean he definitively doesn't have it, but right now the only fact the article has to provide is "The pope cancelled mass because he's sick".

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can think I never had pneumonia, but last month I had the worst cold with difficulty breathing and chest pain, I wonder if it was actually slight pneumonia.
Could have be pneumonia, or it could not have been. If you ever have shortness of breath and fatigue during or slightly after having a cold/flu, it's usually a really good idea to go get it checked up cuz it can be pneumonia. You might require to get additional oxygen if your blood oxygen levels get low enough and it could be a bacterial pneumonia where you need to get antibiotics.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 days): Ignoring staff post with regard to conspiracy theories
The virus comes from animals.

Is that the true story, or what we were told. I still believe this shit was made and accidentally leaked. I mean come on China's only Level 4 microbiology lab is in Wuhan and they have been obsessed with virus's since SARS in 2003.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017

Figured I should link the statement -
A spokesman for the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said today (February 28) that a pet dog had been tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus.

The AFCD received a referral from the Department of Health on February 26 that a dog of a patient infected with COVID-19 disease virus will be handed over to the AFCD. Staff of the AFCD picked up the dog from a residential flat at Tai Hang in the evening on the same day and sent the dog to the animal keeping facility at the Hong Kong Port of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge. Oral, nasal and rectal samples were collected for testing of COVID-19 virus. The nasal and oral cavity samples were tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus. The dog does not have any relevant symptoms.

The above dog is the only dog under quarantine at animal keeping facility at the Hong Kong Port of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge at the moment. There are no other animals using the said facility. Staff of the department will step up cleansing and disinfection of the animal keeping facility.

At present, the AFCD does not have evidence that pet animals can be infected with COVID-19 virus or can be a source of infection to people. The Department will conduct close monitoring of the above dog and collect further samples for testing to confirm if the dog has really been infected with the virus or this is a result of environmental contamination of the dog's mouth and nose. Repeated tests will be conducted for the dog and it will only be returned when the test result is negative.

Detection of low level of COVID-19 virus in pet dog

A spokesman for the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said today (February 28) that a pet dog had been tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus. The...

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
never had Pneumonia as far as i remember......not sure how it feels since it acts along the lines of the flu. I'm assuming its insanely hard to breath or something?

You feel very sick with high fever and dry cough, that later turns into a productive cough with mucus . Most people are not able to get out of bed. Severe Pneumonia can lead to hypoxemia (not enough O2) and hypercapnia (too much CO2) and other stuff. It is dangerous and once you get fever and start feeling trouble with breathing you'll most likely need help.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
The Prime Minister of Japan has now closed down ALL schools across the entire country for weeks.

Not sure if this was known yet.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is that the true story, or what we were told. I still believe this shit was made and accidentally leaked. I mean come on China's only Level 4 microbiology lab is in Wuhan and they have been obsessed with virus's since SARS in 2003.

So you are believing a conspiracy theory based on some inside knowledge, or something else?

Because scientifically, this is animal vectored. Just like Aviab bird flu and swine flu.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, because zoonotic diseases have never happened before!

Please don't ever breed.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the virus itself gives you flu like symptoms and respiratory problems?
The short answer is "yes". The long answer:
https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don't develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. About 2% of people with the disease have died. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENC...weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101

was this posted? Sounds hopeful and I hope it really is going to be the case.

This is 100% bullshit, it is not remotely possible to develop vaccines this fast, even ignoring the clear ethical issues they would have to ignore to produce it in such a short timespan.

Guys, anything that says we're getting a vaccine in less than a year is 100% bullshit, we're not going to see anything until at least mid 2021

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
Wait a minute, it's affecting animals as well?
it better not touch my furry little friend.
If you get shortness of breath and general fatigue, withhigh fever, you'd better go to the hospital. You'll know it if you have severe pneumonia. You can also try to look for low blood pressure if you have a blood pressure measuring machine. (not sure what that is called in english).
i've had this recently but im not sure if its pneumonia, im sick with so many other things its always hard to track. no fever so thats good plus i had a chest x ray that was clean but my blood pressure is definitely a problem. i've had what the doctor called the beginnings of pneumonia 2 years ago and im worried if coronavirus becomes so widespread in the U.S. that i will be fucked.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This is 100% bullshit, it is not remotely possible to develop vaccines this fast, even ignoring the clear ethical issues they would have to ignore to produce it in such a short timespan.

Guys, anything that says we're getting a vaccine in less than a year is 100% bullshit, we're not going to see anything until at least mid 2021
It's most likely a modeled vaccine. Still would need months of testing to verify it and verify safe to use.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Seems 80% of confirmed cases are mild, so I would say yes. Similar to the flu in that most can recover at home.

Note: I am not comparing it to the flu, just saying you can recover without hospitalisation/anti-virals.
When they say mild do they mean like a petty cold, or mild like a flu (which while it is not as dangerous as covid- is not something I would describe as a 'mild' experience)

itsinmyveins

May 4, 2019

Wait a minute, it's affecting animals as well?
It came from animals
Well, that's where it came from.
Like to see more confirmation but this will open up an avenue of transmission now that is not good.
God if dogs can get this its even worse.
The virus comes from animals.
I think that is the first confirmation that a dog could carry it though
Yeah, this is the first I've heard of dogs carrying it. On the podcast I listened to with the epidemiologist Eric Ding, he specifically said that as yet there's no evidence dogs or cats can carry this.

"Oral, nasal and rectal samples were collected for testing of COVID-19 virus. The nasal and oral cavity samples were tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus. The dog does not have any relevant symptoms… At present, the AFCD does not have evidence that pet animals can be infected with COVID-19 virus or can be a source of infection to people. The Department will conduct close monitoring of the above dog and collect further samples for testing to confirm if the dog has really been infected with the virus or this is a result of environmental contamination of the dog's mouth and nose."

Press statement and more info here:

Detection of low level of COVID-19 virus in pet dog

A spokesman for the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said today (February 28) that a pet dog had been tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus. The...

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Figured I should link the statement -

This statement is kinda confusing. I don't get it.

"Oral, nasal and rectal samples were collected for testing of COVID-19 virus. The nasal and oral cavity samples were tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus.

At present, the AFCD does not have evidence that pet animals can be infected with COVID-19 virus or can be a source of infection to people".

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've had this recently but im not sure if its pneumonia, im sick with so many other things its always hard to track. no fever so thats good plus i had a chest x ray that was clean but my blood pressure is definitely a problem. i've had what the doctor called the beginnings of pneumonia 2 years ago and im worried if coronavirus becomes so widespread in the U.S. that i will be fucked.
underlying illnesses do make you be in the high risk group of possibly getting a severe pneumonia/other serious illness from this virus, so it is definitely a good idea to be vigilant and exercise good hygiene. But do also remember that pneumonia isnt always fatal, people do get pneumonia and recover. It's a serious condition but not an automatic death sentence.