• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Fortunately my dad and my FiL and their spouses are retired in semi-rural areas and don't really go anywhere with crowds, basically never travel either.

MiL still works though, just over 60, in suburbs. Works in Medical Billing but thankfully in a small office setting rather than hospital. She was the one we were going to take to Poland in April but we've all agreed to shelve that until after the crisis. Of my relatives I'd worry about her the most. Did stop smoking finally like a year ago but that's probably done some lasting damage to her immune system.

Mike Pence getting put in charge of the US response, combined with Trump's stupidity, the CDC's brain/staffing drain, and every other piece of shit on the shit pile that is our healthcare system does not give me high hopes for how well we'll handle this if there's a major outbreak anywhere here instead of the small isolated incidents thus far. Ugh, fucking 2020...

MeatSim1

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
The media is doing what it does best; blowing things out of proportions to generate stories to generate clicks to generate money.

The flu kills more every year, as long as you're not old/ill and able to get medical care (if you get it) then you'll be fine.

It's best not watching the "news" to be honest, it's very rarely positive, accurate or true and has a negative impact on your mental health. It makes things sound worse than they are with stories of murders, accidents and illness every day.

There's 7,800,000,000+ people in the world and 0,000,082,547 cases of Coronavirus so far.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
40 labs in the USA have been given the go ahead to use test kits so we will likely start seeing case numbers pop up within a week or so

The media is doing what it does best; blowing things out of proportions to generate stories to generate clicks to generate money.

The flu kills more every year, as long as you're not old/ill and able to get medical care (if you get it) then you'll be fine.

It's best not watching the "news" to be honest, it's very rarely positive, accurate or true and has a negative impact on your mental health. It makes things sound worse than they are with stories of murders, accidents and illness every day.

There's 7,800,000,000+ people in the world and 0,000,082,547 cases of Coronavirus so far.

this stupid flu comparison should be bannable. we have went over this dozens of times in this thread.

www.wired.com

Coronavirus Is Bad. Comparing It to the Flu Is Worse

The whataboutism of infectious disease is as dangerous as it is hackneyed.

www.theatlantic.com

You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus

Most cases are not life-threatening, which is also what makes the virus a historic challenge to contain.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017

Like 20-30 times as deadly as the flu and spreads faster...

JuSt ThE FlU...

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
40 labs in the USA have been given the go ahead to use test kits so we will likely start seeing case numbers pop up within a week or so

this stupid flu comparison should be bannable. we have went over this dozens of times in this thread.

www.wired.com

Coronavirus Is Bad. Comparing It to the Flu Is Worse

The whataboutism of infectious disease is as dangerous as it is hackneyed.

www.theatlantic.com

You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus

Most cases are not life-threatening, which is also what makes the virus a historic challenge to contain.

It's now a right wing talking point, so we are going to have to roll our eyes at it for a while yet

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Italian media is unsurprisingly doing a terrible job, swinging wildly from sensationalism, to misinformation, downplaying and politicking. In the last few days there's been an almost universal media-driven backlash against the containment measures. I hope the government doesn't buckle but I'm very worried.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
My father-in-law, wife, and 3 year old daughter all have compromised lungs to varying degrees. The FIL has it really bad, if he gets this virus he will almost certainly have to be hospitalized. My wife doesn't have it as bad, but her lungs were weakened when she was a child, so it takes her longer to recover.

And my sweet little girl has viral induced asthma. It breaks my heart when she gets sick. I can't sleep either because her coughs can get really bad depending on the severity of the infection. The steroid inhaler we give her has strengthened her lungs, so it's been a bit since her coughs were bad, but this flu would probably overwhelm her little lungs.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC

Curious, what makes you more knowledgeable on the subject than the heads of pretty much every disease prevention agency on the planet whom have said it's time to start preparing for a pandemic situation? Your post is just as sensationalized as the "we're all gonna die, the global economy is gonna collapse" stuff you're arguing against.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
The strain this thing puts on medical systems, just completely overwhelms it. Hope for the best.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
It's now a right wing talking point, so we are going to have to roll our eyes at it for a while yet

It doesn't have to be political, there are a lot of reasons to compare this to the flu. Namely the vectors of transmission and the symptoms. So using the Flu as a shorthand for how to prepare for and deal with this virus is reasonable.

The way it differs most notably obviously is the mortality rate, which is currently exponentially higher, but also how novel it is... despite all we know about coronaviruses this one is still mostly a mystery.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I have a chest infection at the moment... so needless to say, I'm not in any great rush to potentially catch CODVID-19 on top of that. Hopefully it clear up before this thing becomes truly widespread!

MeatSim1

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
User banned (permanent): Conspiracy theories, previous bans for inflammatory posting, account in junior phase.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I'm talking about the Coronavirus buddy. That's what I'm talking about. Don't get me started on why I think the Americans created it so they can sell the vaccine to the world.

its either that or China doing population control or getting its people under control so tehy stop rioting.

Its one of those 3 for sure. or its neither.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
It doesn't have to be political, there are a lot of reasons to compare this to the flu. Namely the vectors of transmission and the symptoms. So using the Flu as a shorthand for how to prepare for and deal with this virus is reasonable.

The way it differs most notably obviously is the mortality rate, which is currently exponentially higher, but also how novel it is... despite all we know about coronaviruses this one is still mostly a mystery.
The problem is people coming in here and saying its all nothing, no one should worry, and the MSM is just inciting panic because this is comparable to the flu.

Edit: Good lord, he proved me right directly above me

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work as a warehouse manager and found out today a lot of our vendors are shipping merchandise to use months early due to concerns their products won't be able to reach the US by May and June.

So yeah, fuck my life. I'm going to get about 5 times the amount of merchandise as usually next month.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the Coronavirus buddy. That's what I'm talking about. Don't get me started on why I think the Americans created it so they can sell the vaccine to the world.

its either that or China doing population control or getting its people under control so tehy stop rioting.

tenor.gif

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

stable genius right here

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
The problem is people coming in here and saying its all nothing, no one should worry, and the MSM is just inciting panic because this is comparable to the flu.

Frankly we should be taking the Flu much more seriously every year. Everyone has become numb to the fact that tens of thousands of people die every year due to poor virus hygiene and lack of vaccinations.

Downplaying this is definitely inimical compared to a proper understanding, but I feel like some of the skepticism is due to how poor the MSM is at science reporting. There is a built in distrust when Bret Stephens starts reading the latest copy about something he personally is completely disinterested in, it's sort of an automatic reaction that I don't think is politically motivated.

These people just need to inform themselves better.

Panic and fear-mongering is just as worrisome and should be shunned equally.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bro, it's viral marketing for Corona beer. Literally and figuratively. Obv.

I hope beyond hope whatever I quoted is also sarcasm.

ccgear

Oct 27, 2017

I hate to say it again but this is a logical fallacy (of whataboutism). "OMG The flu is worse or kills more people".

It is the same argument that anti-vaxxers use. Attempting to dismiss "A" by deflecting and ignoring "A" and trying to point at "B" instead without engaging in logical analysis of "A" at all.

"You don't need to engage in protected sex because OMG have you seen the number of people that die from the mass shootings?!
There is no need to even talk about kind of gun control because OMG have you seen the number of people that die from the flu?!
You don't need to get your flu vaccine because OMG have you seen the number of people that die from car accidents?!
You don't need to wear a seatbelt or obey red lights because OMG have you seen the number of people that die from cancer?!"

Additionally, you might want to know that current estimates have ~ 10-20% of the people getting the virus coming down with serious symptoms and needing medical attention (ie. hospitalization with need for oxygen or respirators). Frankly, I'm not sure if most hospitals in North American can handle an extra 20 patients that are contagious, need isolation and oxygen on top of their normal patient loads. Nevermind 50, or 100, or 200.

Do you guys have empty beds and extra doctors sitting around in your local cities?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
This video showing questionable containment procedures over at my place has gone uhh viral. It's concerning but also fucking hilarious.

Iranian dude: "I am Iranian. I was hospitalized yesterday, but tests have shown that I'm not infected. I'm thankful to doctors, they're professionals. I'm healthy, thank God!"

What happens next is self-explanatory.

the final bit:

Reporter: "Was that man released?
Nurse: "Yeah, yeah, he's not alright"

Hopefully that one confirmed case will be it for a while (dude was hospitalized at the border). The real thing that scares me is the fucking hysteria over it. "We all gonna die" bullshit everywhere.

edit: the person in this video isn't the infected one, just to clarify

An update on this.

This dude had escaped and the nurse without the mask is supposedly from another wing of the hospital.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is where you are wrong tho, this is a novel virus.
We have vaccine and antiviral for the common flu, we don't for this new virus, this is why we have to stop from spreading even more.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I work as a warehouse manager and found out today a lot of our vendors are shipping merchandise to use months early due to concerns their products won't be able to reach the US by May and June.

So yeah, fuck my life. I'm going to get about 5 times the amount of merchandise as usually next month.

Oh my god, unscheduled/surprise distros were the goddamn bane of my retail life and you're about to get the motherload. That really sucks, you're about to get very creative with space lol

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

I seriously have to ask: what's the motivation for people to come into this thread and spread the same disinformation?

Is it coordinated? Is there an agenda? Who benefits from from this?

Ok, never mind. You're either incredibly misinformed or just a troll.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Got an email from work. They are not taking the step of fully restricting travel. I'm going to Marseille next week via Glasgow and Heathrow. Not too keen on being around so many people.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a huge jump isn't it? Wasn't it around ~400?
Yeah, I was checking the numbers last night. It was about a 40% increase overnight. I guess because it takes quite a few days for both the virus to incubate and the results to come back? It's not like 200+ people were infected in a single day, right?
I listened to the press conference only partially, but it seems that yesterday the data which was announced was devoid of some numbers from Lombardia.
Ah, that makes sense. They're just getting the results in then.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Rather big thing happening in Italy from a government/regional institutions point of view. The region of Marche (that had 3 confirmed cases) decided to close all of the schools and universities until March 4th. The italian government just made illegal the regional decision.

www.cronachemaceratesi.it

Coronavirus, ordinanza sospesa: il Tar accoglie la richiesta del governo

BLOCCATI gli effetti del provvedimento emanato dal governatore Ceriscioli. Stando alla sentenza domani riapriranno le scuole, salvo nuova ordinanza della Regione. Ecco il decreto del presidente del Tribunale amministrativo
So is Italy making the decision to move away from containment?

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, I was checking the numbers last night. It was about a 40% increase overnight. I guess because it takes quite a few days for both the virus to incubate and the results to come back? It's not like 200+ people were infected in a single day, right?

Yes, those big jumps seem to be connected to each daily increase in the number of people being tested.South Korea's numbers are growing like crazy, but that's also because they're testing tens of thousands of people at this point.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: 'weak positive', further tests to be conducted
Full statement
A spokesman for the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said today (February 28) that a pet dog had been tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus.

The AFCD received a referral from the Department of Health on February 26 that a dog of a patient infected with COVID-19 disease virus will be handed over to the AFCD. Staff of the AFCD picked up the dog from a residential flat at Tai Hang in the evening on the same day and sent the dog to the animal keeping facility at the Hong Kong Port of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge. Oral, nasal and rectal samples were collected for testing of COVID-19 virus. The nasal and oral cavity samples were tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus. The dog does not have any relevant symptoms.

The above dog is the only dog under quarantine at animal keeping facility at the Hong Kong Port of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge at the moment. There are no other animals using the said facility. Staff of the department will step up cleansing and disinfection of the animal keeping facility.

At present, the AFCD does not have evidence that pet animals can be infected with COVID-19 virus or can be a source of infection to people. The Department will conduct close monitoring of the above dog and collect further samples for testing to confirm if the dog has really been infected with the virus or this is a result of environmental contamination of the dog's mouth and nose. Repeated tests will be conducted for the dog and it will only be returned when the test result is negative.

The spokesman said that to ensure public and animal health, the department strongly advise mammalian pets of patients confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19 virus to be put under quarantine by the AFCD. The pets will be delivered to the designated animal keeping facilities of the AFCD for quarantine and veterinary surveillance for 14 days. Samples will be collected for testing of COVID-19 virus as appropriate.

The spokesman reminded the pet owners to maintain a good habit of hygiene, and wash their hands thoroughly with soap or alcohol sanitiser after contacting pets. Pet owners shall wear masks while going out. If there are any changes in the health condition of the pets, advice from veterinarians should be sought as soon as possible.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202002/28/P2020022800013.htm

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.npr.org

CDC Has Fixed Issue Delaying Coronavirus Testing In U.S., Health Officials Say

A problem with one ingredient in test kits that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention distributed to labs around the U.S. had created a frustrating bottleneck.

Federal health officials say they have resolved a problem that has hindered wide testing for the new coronavirus in the United States, a crucial practice for fighting the spread of the dangerous new infection.
A problem with one ingredient in test kits that the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention distributed to labs around the country had created a frustrating bottleneck in testing, requiring most testing to occur at the CDC in Atlanta.
On Wednesday night, the CDC announced a new case of the COVID-19 disease in California that could represent the first U.S. case of the virus spreading within the general population. That diagnosis was delayed because testing wasn't done immediately.
But the CDC and the Food and Drug Administration informed state officials late Wednesday that the agencies have resolved the problem with the test kits.
"The FDA has authorized the use of those tests by using just the first and second step to provide a definitive diagnostic," Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said during a congressional hearing Thursday.
Forty labs — local and state public health labs as well as select department of defense labs — across the U.S. are already authorized to start using the modified test, and all 93 labs should be able to start testing by next week, Azar said.
The move was welcomed by public health officials, who have been frustrated by the testing snag.
"It's really good news," says Kelly Wroblewski, director of infectious diseases for the Association of Public Health Laboratories, which represents public health labs around the United States. "Testing is incredibly important."

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Ok so it's just for that region and they are still shutting down schools etc in northern Italy?
For the current week, they re closed in most of the regions in Northern Italy.
For the next week, they will decide by tomorrow. According to some information I got, it seems that in Piemonte they could reopen, or at least they are considering the possibility to open them since there are 6 cases here. I don't know about Lombardia and Veneto, but I think they will be still close there next week.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
question, if you get it...........are most people recovering perfectly fine at home with plenty of fluids and rest? Because I'm pretty sure most in the states are going to refuse going to the hospital if need to just based on the fucking cost sink of it just walking in the door

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
question, if you get it...........are most people recovering perfectly fine at home with plenty of fluids and rest? Because I'm pretty sure most in the states are going to refuse going to the hospital if need to just based on the fucking cost sink of it just walking in the door
15 -20% of people are in serious/critical condition. So yeah most will be able to recover fine at home but a huge amount won't.