• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How much of a risk is a newborn baby to this kind of virus? My sister is due at the end of April, and I've been wondering if this is something that is like, a red alarm kinda issue.

Last reports were that young children seemed very resistant to the virus, almost surprisingly so that doctors didn't have a good explanation yet. Not sure if it also included newborns.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem, to me, the people repeated saying that people shouldn't worry because its 'like the flu' and only at risk groups will be effected, ignoring the fact that at risk groups literally post here and not everyone is a healthy 22 year old male.

Yep, also feel like this right now. I'm always worried about my mother right now and can't risk it to get this. No one here should sideeye and let people prepare how they want to as long as it's acceptable and fearmongering though. Had a family in front of me trying to buy all the noodles from the supermarket today and they luckily weren't allowed to (lol).
On the other hand..

Every year will be crazy. Globalization will halt, things will go super expensive , Tourism world wide will be affected and the economy may never have the chance to recover.

And many people will die :(
Calm down. Clean your hands always, don't touch your face and you should be good to go. While it shouldn't be compared to flu in the meaning of the illness itself, it is totally comparable to flu in terms of hygiene.

Deleted member 23075

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys, seems containment is impossible at this rate, so I ask you... how does a virus like this stops spreading? Never?

Flu part 2 every year?
Opa, I don't mean to pick on you in particular, but in general, I don't think these kinds of questions are helpful in here.

It's a relatively new virus that health professionals are working diligently on, and I guarantee even they can't answer this question. So it veers dangerously into hypothecials which in turn generates anxiety and fear.

We should keep the spirit of what this thread needs to be by focusing on facts and updates.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it. I will go to Costco. It will be stuff I am gonna eat anyway in the long run.

Still seems crazy to me. Never gotten emergency supplies outside a hurricane.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020

3qgsba.jpg

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just afraid that governments will do the same mistake that China did : waiting too much. I mean, here in France they didn't cancel a soccer match welcoming the Juventus team from Italy, with all its supporters. What could go wrong right ?

Piemonte isn't really one of the "danger zones" in italy. There is one case at this moment. So the probability for people of piemonte having the Virus is as high as french people having it.
If you don't want to cut Italy from the Rest of the World there is not much you can do.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
That tweet sums up how seriously they're taking the situation.

But maybe he'll just have to pray double. That should fix everything.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it's hilarious/horrifying how quick these assholes prove they are inept at whatever job they get tasked with. Honestly unreal, I seriously can only laugh at this point. You can't make this shit up lol

Huh? Everyone knows that the flu is spread by the devil and not boogers.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So apparently Delta is suspending flights from Seoul to Minneapolis starting Saturday, but that's my connecting airport to get back home. I'm flying out tomorrow and yet I haven't received a notice from Delta. No idea what I'm going to do.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To think, after struggling so much last year, that this year would turn into a giant pile of shit. I feel like we're all fucking dead. Fuck this shit. My depression and anxiety is in such full force right now - it's like I never started treatment to begin with. It's over.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The infected man in Göteborg, Sweden may have exposed around 40 people to the virus and they are currently being tracked down.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
To think, after struggling so much last year, that this year would turn into a giant pile of shit. I feel like we're all fucking dead. Fuck this shit. My depression and anxiety is in such full force right now - it's like I never started treatment to begin with. It's over.
Sorry can I ask what treatment you are on?

Big fan of DF btw

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
what are you talking about lol ''seems to behaving like chicken pox'' are you a doctor? no, so don't say things like that. We don't know the extent of the virus because it's a new virus, there is no way to know all of those information. The only few cases we saw is one person still have traces in his fecas matter after 40 days, that doesn't mean it ''lies dormant inside for years''

Yeesh, I was just speculating on Japan case since it's unknown if re-infection is occuring or not, or if the virus was staying inside the body. No need to jump down my throat.

I'll go back to just posting info I find.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Piemonte isn't really one of the "danger zones" in italy. There is one case at this moment. So the probability for people of piemonte having the Virus is as high as french people having it.
If you don't want to cut Italy from the Rest of the World there is not much you can do.
Yeah, red zone is more east. But I'm still surprised that those public gatherings are still a thing, no matter where, especially when we have some cases in people that are unrelated to China.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Stop constantly checking the news or this thread. This is not the first time the world struggles with something like this (SARS, Influenza in 2009, etc...). You just happen to have access to more of those news now than back then.
Go to the Gaming side or block these threads if they give you anxiety.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

Keep doing whatever you're doing to treat your anxiety and depression. Stress/cortisol seriously weakens immune systems, so do what you can to manage your stress levels.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
That's even lower than the new coronavirus estimates. Can't be right.

The Spanish flu killed between 50 and 100 million people, of 1.9 billion alive at the time. That is a death toll of between 2.6 and 5.2% of the entire population.​

Spanish flu infected 500 million or so people, so that sounds about right percentage wise.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I post this a few days ago but I feel it needs to be repost for new users. Basically it is here to stay for a while and that isn't a big deal to the majority of the population.
www.theatlantic.com

You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus

Most cases are not life-threatening, which is also what makes the virus a historic challenge to contain.
That's not what the article says at all. It's going to be a big deal to pretty much everybody. It doesn't matter whether or not Your one of the 20% that end of hospitalized. There are going to be far ranging economic impacts that will affect everyone along with measures that governments are taking

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
We all gotta hang in there my dude. You aren't alone in weathering the shit storm. Taking a break does wonders.

Jun 20, 2019
John, it's ok not to follow the COVID news day to day. Give yourself a mental break and hide these threads on Era and try to view less news coverage. Speaking statistically your risk and the risk of people around you is low.

Reach out if you need help. Mental health is health.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020

Dark if I were you I'd stop following this thread for news about this virus and just make the best preparations you can and start practicing good viral hygiene. I definitely can understand the anxiety, but this virus is NOT going to be a long-term disruption of normal contemporary life. Follow the advice of experts and the CDC.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Opa, I don't mean to pick on you in particular, but in general, I don't think these kinds of questions are helpful in here.

It's a relatively new virus that health professionals are working diligently on, and I guarantee even they can't answer this question. So it veers dangerously into hypothecials which in turn generates anxiety and fear.

We should keep the spirit of what this thread needs to be by focusing on facts and updates.

No problem. Understood.
Still, thanks for all the answers, guys.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting in an office with people sniffling all around me. not great folks, take those sick days! our company is cool about it too so its not even like they cant miss work

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

[As someone with anxiety and PTSD]

Without knowing where you live I'll just say that perhaps you should take a break from this thread. If you feel the need to stay informed about things, then focus on the WHO reports that come out each day, and do your best to process the facts that they present.

I am not going to tell you not to worry, because I know exactly how useless that suggestion is to someone with anxiety. Focus on the things that you can directly do that will make you feel better / safe.

It is not my intention to downplay any of this, nor how you feel. There is only so much in life that we have direct control over, and perhaps you will get some solace from the feeling of being prepared just in case something happens.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
When it comes to stress and cortisol the above is all good advice. For me personally though I just feel stressed being surrounded by people so casual and complacent about the risk of this thing. But maybe they are in the correct mindset and I'm not.

Still get annoyed when people say strokes kill more but maybe I'm missing the point here.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel you bud, I am in the same boat as you. I have a history of fretting way too much and anxiously about diseases and this is taking it's toll on me. Haven't been sleeping well either. Been thinking of not looking at this thread and news for a few days tbh. I think you should too. I truly hope you'll feel better!

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
People need to take a chill pill. Too much fear mongering in the media and on the internet at the moment.

I think telling people to "take a chill pill" is a little rude right now. Even if someone has all the latest and most correct information they can be very anxious about if the virus will infect someone close to them or themselves, which is a worrying thought.

We shouldn't focus on telling people to chill out, but on helping them feel prepared to mitigate the impact of the virus in their lives.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
We leave for Florida tomorrow. Going to Disney World for a few days and then on a Disney Cruise. At this point, I'm just going to be making sure to have tissues for touching things, antibacterial for my hands at all times, and to be very wary of the people around me. Nothing else I can do at this point...

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Just saw a very self conscientious guy stand up, then leave to the balcony before he started to cough openly, rather than doing it in the room with all of us who are working. I wish we would see that more often. Small actions like that help to stop the spread of the flu and other infections. I'm becoming quite aware of people coughing and sneezing lately and good grief, we're not educated enough to keep our infections to ourselves. That has to change. (At least I wish it would change).

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting in an office with people sniffling all around me. not great folks, take those sick days! our company is cool about it too so its not even like they cant miss work
Pretty sure we had a post yesterday showing that only 6% of infected people have a runny nose. This causes a dry cough. You're probably worrying about colleagues with a common cold

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I think telling people to "take a chill pill" is a little rude right now. Even if someone has all the latest and most correct information they can be very anxious about if the virus will infect someone close to them or themselves, which is a worrying thought.

We shouldn't focus on telling people to chill out, but on helping them feel prepared to mitigate the impact of the virus in their lives.
You're right. I don't mean to be rude, my apologies. But I think being on the internet in threads like this or on reddit where every little update is being shared and people are speculating is just creating needless stress. Likewise I feel that the media is contributing to fear mongering by reporting on every little case or potential case and also misreporting on figures.

Oct 29, 2017
Maaaaaaaan I'm starting to get nervous about this, I need to get off the internet and just continue taking necessary precautions and keeping my hands clean and away from my face...