• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 20, 2019
Hey guys, weird thing to say, but could this thread please not be turned into a US politics thread? Was very useful so far to keep up to date on global events and spread of the virus. Sad to see it litered with US politics crap. :)
I agree. This thread should remain a community resource to share verifiable information about the progress of the disease, outcomes, treatments, directives from health officials, and so forth. And a place to ask questions.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, weird thing to say, but could this thread please not be turned into a US politics thread? Was very useful so far to keep up to date on global events and spread of the virus. Sad to see it litered with US politics crap. :)

So people can criticize other countries's responses but not the US's?

TeaToe

Oct 30, 2018

source.gif

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
This report (in Japanese) about a person from Osaka getting reinfected seems interesting:

www3.nhk.or.jp

大阪 ツアーガイドの女性 再び陽性に ウイルス増殖か 再感染か | NHKニュース

大阪府は、先月、新型コロナウイルスへの感染が判明したものの、症状が回復し、陰性が確認されていた大阪市の40代の女性が、再…

- Visited Wuhan in the middle of January
- Tested positive for the virus on January 29th
- Discharged February 1st, tested negative on February 6th
- Throat discomfort and chest pain on February 19th, visited medical institute a few times
- Tested positive (again) on February 26th

Could be that the person got into contact with a carrier again or that the virus was not completely eliminated in the first place. The body might have not produced enough antibodies.

Let me add some to it:
- Lady is the tour guide who greeted customers from Wuhan, so she did not go to Wuhan. She was one of first patients in Japan who aren't related to the cruise ship.
- When she was discharged, she was diagnosed negative. Then, she quarantined herself in her house until now. This means she is not re-infected, but it is morel like virus remained within her, to the point she is tested negative, but is possible to spring back to become positive again.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The thought that a vaccine for this would be paywalled is nuts.
Any vaccine for this would be covered by an ACA-mandated plan.

If the ACA is struck or you have a cheap Trump plan, then you would have to pay full price or whatever co-pay required by your insurance at that time.

I'm supposed to be traveling to NYC in mid-March. Unfortunately, the plane tickets and hotel room are non-refundable. How worried should I be about having to potentially cancel my trip?
Nobody can say what will happen.

Right now, if you have to go, just take whatever precautions you can, and try to stay safe.

But the situation could very well be different this time next week.

key

Nov 7, 2017
You'll be fine, just make sure to be hygienic.
That's what I'm thinking. It's just hard to predict how things might escalate over the coming weeks. I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me at least a bit anxious, given that I've got a young daughter and would hate for her to get sick because I went on vacation and brought something home.

Thanks for the reply.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
This is a thread about Coronavirus news, and people's reaction to coronavirus news stories. The leader of the United States just provided a press conference on the country's response to coronavirus; that's news. And people are reacting to that news. THat's all there is to it. Anyone who cannot take such reactions, may want to exercise their own right to read something else for the time being.

Local politics can't be divorced from this anymore. If the US's approach to the virus is bungled it's absolutely going to be discussed because it's critical news.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the US is officially planning to respond/react to this virus is a new development, what the?

CDC people also spoke there, plus the secretary of health and human services.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
This is a thread about Coronavirus news, and people's reaction to coronavirus news stories. The leader of the United States just provided a press conference on the country's response to coronavirus; that's news. And people are reacting to that news. THat's all there is to it. Anyone who cannot take such reactions, may want to exercise their own right to read something else for the time being.

Yea I don't get the uproar, everyone was doing the same when that Iran minister said everything is fine and then tested positive the next day.

Jun 20, 2019
That's what I'm thinking. It's just hard to predict how things might escalate over the coming weeks. I'd be lying if ai said it didn't make me at least a bit anxious, given that I've got a young daughter and would hate for her to get sick because I went on vacation.

Thanks for the reply.
Young children are among the least at-risk population groups. As terrible as this thing is it isn't really killing kids.

Of course, keep an eye on the news regardless. The virus is and will continue to evolve and deadlier strains may manifest.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
The presser is done, so probably time to move on from Trump's ramblings and focus on actual news now (US or otherwise).

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Let me add some to it:
- Lady is the tour guide who greeted customers from Wuhan, so she did not go to Wuhan. She was one of first patients in Japan who aren't related to the cruise ship.
- When she was discharged, she was diagnosed negative. Then, she quarantined herself in her house until now. This means she is not re-infected, but it is morel like virus remained within her, to the point she is tested negative, but is possible to spring back to become positive again.
Thank you, I have updated my post

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Obama set up a system to deal with such threats during the Ebola scare. Of course Trump destroyed all of that.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Let me add some to it:

The interesting question here would be if one would still be able to spread the virus if one still has it while testing negative and being considered cured.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps make a thread to specifically address that? Maybe let's keep this clean of that potato and use it as a repository for new developments regarding the virus?
The thread is for worldwide coverage of the outbreak.

Because there is a press briefing from the president of the United States just ending, there will be a couple pages discussion of it.

It should be gone by the time you wake up tomorrow. Just wait it out.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I bet we will see an uptick in people wearing medical masks in public. If Trump was trying to reassure the American public this press conference did the exact opposite.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So obviously if that case in N. California isnt from a person that just flew in, there might be a problem there. That's the whole point with doing more tests. If you are only doing strict testing on a limited scope who the heck knows where the virus is until its too late.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Ugh I'm supposed to fly to Las Vegas next week and I'm really not looking forward to it. Most likely I'll be fine but on the other hand covid-19 is one sneaky virus.

data

Oct 25, 2017
So obviously if that case in N. California isnt from a person that just flew in, there might be a problem there. That's the whole point with doing more tests. If you are only doing strict testing on a limited scope who the heck knows where the virus is until its too late.
I wonder how they even knew to test a random person in North Carolina since there is no known vector

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

feel like this is how it started in Italy and they never identified patient zero as far as I'm aware

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Ok Coronavirus people, I went on twitter and read this thread and now I'm super freaked out. I live is Socal and usually go to a weekly game night at a bar during the week, and have a few music festivals coming up next month. Should I skip them? Should I just not go outside again until this has passed? My Flight instincts are kicking in hard lol

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
How do i even know if don't already do hypertension or have cardiovascular disease if i dont know it?

You would know if you had any of these serious "pre-existing health conditions", which is just a fancy way of saying chronic health problems that require frequent medication or other treatments.

If you had a chronic health problem but had not yet been diagnosed you would be having noticeable symptoms. So basically if you are having any health issues that don't go away please go to the doctor and get it checked out. The worst possible outcome would be if you had one of these health problems, didn't get it checked out, and then got sick and doctors would be having to deal with your unmanaged health problem plus a virus at the same time.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Ok Coronavirus people, I went on twitter and read this thread and now I'm super freaked out. I live is Socal and usually go to a weekly game night at a bar during the week, and have a few music festivals coming up next month. Should I skip them? Should I just not go outside again until this has passed? My Flight instincts are kicking in hard lol

Do you have any pre-existing health problems, specifically respiratory issues, diabetes, or are immunocompromised?

Are you over age 60?

Does anyone in your household have serious health problems?

If you answer no to those questions then you will be fine.

Wash your hands WITH SOAP frequently, use hand sanitizer before you eat/drink anything when you are out and about, and practice not touching your face. Buy some lysol/cleaning wipes and wipe down your cell phone and door handles when you come home at the end of the day. That's what you can do.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're good for now. Go enjoy yourself.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I've been checking in every now and then on how things are going, and it's sounding like things are just getting worse. I thought the virus would be gone by now, but I guess not. =(

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My city just put up a letter on Facebook about being prepared for this. I understand people needing to be informed, but still pretty unsettling. Like we are all sitting here in the calm wondering when the storm is going to hit.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
In unprecedented move, Israelis advised to avoid all travel over virus fears https://t.co/obll52Ilbq

Was just having this conversation with my Israeli friend out here. We frequent the rock bar scene here in Tokyo and she'll be goin back next month. She's getting worried about cancelled flights and whatnot. Hell even I'm wary of being stuck in quarantine or something flying back into SF this weekend. Hoping all this doesn't wreck my vacation this year.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
California has roughly 40 million people and there are 10 people with the virus in it. So 0.000025% of the population of California has the virus. If you walk outside right now you have a 0.00014% chance of getting struck by lightning, that's 5x higher than the amount of people with the virus.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
California has roughly 40 million people and there are 10 people with the virus in it. So 0.000025% of the population of California has the virus. If you walk outside right now you have a 0.00014% chance of getting struck by lightning, that's 5x higher than the amount of people with the virus.

Thank you for applying perspective here. I feel like a lot of people are rushing to panic.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
I've been checking in every now and then on how things are going, and it's sounding like things are just getting worse. I thought the virus would be gone by now, but I guess not. =(

Its probably going to be with us the rest of our lives, much like H1N1, aka Swine Flu, is now a part of our seasonal flu cycle. its why there was such an intense need to block the transmission from crossing out of China when it happened, now that's its got human to human transmission with more and more inability to track where they come from, I just don't see it getting better. Its a matter of when, not if, it hits most communities I think. Again waiting on the vaccine at this point and until then being cautious, and most importantly if you feel sick get checked on by a doctor and stay home. I am hopefully going to be fine considering my age and health, I live by myself, the worst thing I can do is help spread it in my office to people who are much, much worse off from contracting it.

Thank you for applying perspective here. I feel like a lot of people are rushing to panic.

People shouldn't panic, but they also should be preparing for when it might spread to a local community, just because you have an extremely small chance of getting it in a local community 'at this time' does not mean it will stay that way, that's the whole point communal spread, once it hits enough location, full wall/no travel is likely going to be the only way to stop it from entering a community eventually. Its just going to be a matter of our lives going forward and we will have to move on do what we can.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

There are 10 detected cases. The state has ordered over 7000 people to self quarantine over the past few weeks. It's just that the CDC has been refusing to test people, so the numbers haven't been going up.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Its probably going to be with us the rest of our lives, much like H1N1, aka Swine Flu, is now a part of our seasonal flu cycle. its why there was such an intense need to block the transmission from crossing out of China when it happened, now thats its got human to human transmission with more and more inability to track where they come from, I just don't see it getting better. Its a matter of when, not if, it hits most communities I think. Again waiting on the vaccine at this point and until then being cautious, and most importantly if you feel sick get checked on by a doctor and stay home. I am hopefully going to be fine considering my age and health, I live by myself, the worst thing I can do is help spread it in my office to people who are much, much worse off from contracting it.
I don't think we're going to see an explosion like in Wuhan, that was like a perfect storm, but there will definitely be clusters of outbreaks ongoing.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I'm honestly tempted to go get a cpl more 5gal water jugs and maybe a few staples.

More worried about supply chain than infection. I already feel like shit. :lol
ATX patient zero