• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Do you believe in the current numbers that China is providing?
To an extent. Obviously all China or any country can report are cases that have been tested. Assuming the vast majority of people don't get sick enough to need hospital care, the actual number is obviously likely a lot higher.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
A case was confirmed today in Macedonia. The same week I decide to go home to see my family. Great. :)

With how terrible the health system is here, this will spread easily, as the person apparently used public transport a lot for several days while visiting family members.
Oof, that sucks. Guess it's time to stock up on hand sanitizer for the whole family.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that our governments are looking at the Chinese pre-fab hospital and figuring out plans for how we would do something similar (or better) in case we have to. Identifying suitable sites, ensuring the resources are available, etc.

Anyone could build such a hospital, but actually doing it takes planning and effort.

I think it's unhelpful to denigrate the Chinese effort as "Just a pre-fab", but it's equally unhelpful to claim that "We are fucked because only the Chinese totalitarian state could force through such a project in 10 days when we'd still be arguing over planning permission".

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
I work for a Local Authority in the UK and they just emailed everyone to say that any self isolation will still receive full pay and will not go against any sickness records, which is good.
If you're covered by Green Book T&C's they have to. The green book states something along the lines of any illness related to an infection like this is covered by sick pay. Also says that it won't count against your entitlement of (up to) 6 months full/half pay

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've got a trip planned from May 1st - May 15th. Traveling from home in Canada to London, then Edinburgh, Dublin and finally Paris.

I know a lot will probably change from now until then. I just hope it changes for the better.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no reason not to take them at face value.
jIba7H5.jpg

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China didn't build shit. It was a bunch of prefabbed boxes slapped together. The US or any major western nation would have no problem doing the exact same.

It's actually a proper (temp) hospital designed for infective diseases with examination rooms and IT infrastructure.

www.youtube.com

How China Built a Hospital in 10 Days

Sign up for an annual CuriosityStream subscription and also get a free Nebula subscription (the new streaming platform built by creators) here: http://Curios...

Basically it is based on a project they put up during the SARS outbreak, so while it was erected in 10 days it requires actually preparation times, for stocking up the material and the equipment. It's not likely any wester nation planned for a SARS outbreak inside their border. Not on this scale.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's unfortunate but I think everyone needs to prepare for the eventuality of cases in their area.

The cases in Italy we're now just seeing means people who moved from Italy to other countries have had nearly a week of being potentially infectious, and we're starting to see an inability to track the infection routes, which means there are local cases and secondary infections now happening in countries.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Damn my company just released all company memo banning travel to China and South Korea (surprised not Japan but we do have a decent amount of business there), and adding a bunch of items for travel caution - asking people to focus on video conferences where possible for other travel. And saying that if an employee raises a concern about traveling to another country, that should be accepted by the management team and other options should be explored.

We travel a lot as a sales team, so these are huge statements.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Coronavirus or not, I really hate when that happens. One can catch a cold from people like that. (who know they are sick but won't cover their mouth)

It happens almost every day, people are just crazy inconsiderate. I usually walk to work, but back home I'm usually too lazy to spend another 1.5 hours walking...

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can I ask you a question?
What is your theory here?
People always post this kind of stuff that kinda imply something but don't quite say it, and obviously none of us can know for sure, but like, what do you actually think?
You think Xi Jianping called the Hubei provincial ministry of health and told them that even though the real infected number is 60k he need it to be down at 41k?

Last edited:

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Travel expert just on radio 5

Still take your trips, surgical masks are not affective, there are some real bargains to be had, and the rule is unless the Gov tells you not to go the travel industry will not refund you

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

twitter.com

Marshall Cohen on Twitter

“Rush Limbaugh and right-wing fringe sites are attacking Dr. Nancy Messonnier, a top CDC official handling the coronavirus response, because she is Rod Rosenstein's sister. They're spreading the lie that she's part of the deep state and trying to tank the markets to weaken Trump.”

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I'm curious how are countries that haven't seen COVID yet testing potential patients? Is it based on symptoms or is there some test kit being sent around?

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
It seems pretty clear that contaiment in Europe is not going to be possible. There are already several cases of community spread in different countries. I think that with the state of the virus on two different continents we can expect it to run its course globally. I don't think that is going to be too bad, but it sucks for those in risk groups.

Oct 27, 2017
I was in the north of italy 2 weeks ago and this morning my throat felt funny and my ears are blocked + noseflem a bit. No fever and honestly it just feels like a cold. These are more symptoms of a cold right? I've been sneezing the past few days. I dont feel like its a respiratory issue.. nor the need to cough at all. will keep an eye on it though.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
It seems pretty clear that contaiment in Europe is not going to be possible. There are already several cases of community spread in different countries. I think that with the state of the virus on two different continents we can expect it to run its course globally. I don't think that is going to be too bad, but it sucks for those in risk groups.
Travel restrictions stop being effective once you reach pandemic phase, unless country bans ALL travel which is overkill.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
I was in the north of italy 2 weeks ago and this morning my throat felt funny and my ears are blocked + noseflem a bit. No fever and honestly it just feels like a cold. These are more symptoms of a cold right? I've been sneezing the past few days. I dont feel like its a respiratory issue.. nor the need to cough at all. will keep an eye on it though.
If you were in one of the high-risk regions you should get checked just to be sure. Or at least stay at home for 1-2 weeks. It is probably a cold, but better safe then sorry currently to prevent spread.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a typical cold virus.

See this post regarding the main symptoms of Covid-19:

www.resetera.com

Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) resources and discussion thread (Discussion guidelines in OP) COVID - OT

Yeah, and from a London airport as well. However I'm just really worried as to whether it'll get bad but not 'that' bad, meaning that we can still go. I do love my family but they're really not the kind of people to easily heed warnings and they've had a history of brushing my concerns off as...

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a typical cold virus.

See this post from regarding the main symptoms of Covid-19:

www.resetera.com

Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) resources and discussion thread (Discussion guidelines in OP) COVID - OT

Yeah, and from a London airport as well. However I'm just really worried as to whether it'll get bad but not 'that' bad, meaning that we can still go. I do love my family but they're really not the kind of people to easily heed warnings and they've had a history of brushing my concerns off as...
Thanks, honestly i'm not worried and i often get colds.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Friend of the family freaking out because the first case of US soldier contracting corona in Korea, while their daughter is also stationed there.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
If the numbers of severe cases really are between 15-20% like people have said, then it will overwhelm the capacity of even the best health care systems, because no country is going to have enough hospital beds, much less ICU beds for that. And that's not even taking into account lost wages, stock crash, and economic recession that will result. And that's not even getting into deaths, either from coronavirus or anything else deadly that someone else gets during a period when the hospitals are overflowing. This could be much, much worse than people expect.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Travel expert just on radio 5

Still take your trips, surgical masks are not affective, there are some real bargains to be had, and the rule is unless the Gov tells you not to go the travel industry will not refund you

I just flew from Tampa to Chicago last weekend for less than $150 round trip. It was probably one of the best flights I've been on even with the crowded plane - NO ONE was coughing, hacking, or sneezing. It seems like if people are even a little bit sick they are staying home right now. There were a couple of cases in Chicago early on but it seems like they were contained pretty quickly, and the traveler came through O'Hare and not Midway. Seems like business as usual here in the US for now, for better or worse.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
German health minister just now warned germany is at the beginning of a epidemic outbreak and things changed in the last few hours. Pandemic plans are supposed to be set in motion soon because they don't know the path of infection of the infected today and yesterday.
Makes me wonder if I should maybe just skip the wrestling event I was planning to go to on the 7th and 8th. I can also expect international travelers to be there. It's some money lost, but I can live with that.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

twitter.com

Marshall Cohen on Twitter

“Rush Limbaugh and right-wing fringe sites are attacking Dr. Nancy Messonnier, a top CDC official handling the coronavirus response, because she is Rod Rosenstein's sister. They're spreading the lie that she's part of the deep state and trying to tank the markets to weaken Trump.”

Nothing quite like turning a Pandemic disease into political tactics.

We're at a point where we have a handful of new countries everyday announcing confirmed cases and these people still have the nerve to shit out of their mouths.

i'm playing through The Division 2 and this is like the exact plot lmao

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Im on a cruise out of Miami in 2.5 weeks. Should I be worried, not worried, or am I already dead?

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
If the numbers of severe cases really are between 15-20% like people have said, then it will overwhelm the capacity of even the best health care systems, because no country is going to have enough hospital beds, much less ICU beds for that. And that's not even taking into account lost wages, stock crash, and economic recession that will result. And that's not even getting into deaths, either from coronavirus or anything else deadly that someone else gets during a period when the hospitals are overflowing. This could be much, much worse than people expect.

Take into account that not everyone gets ill at the same time, and that the 15-20% is composed mainly by older (65+) people. They will be mainly reterees which will not have that kind of economic impact. Is bad, but not recesion worthy imo.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Another infected in germany makes it 7 in the last day or so.

It's pretty obvious that this happens. We learned about the italian outbreak over the weekend, and yet no carnival was canceled.

With the incubation period of two weeks and how high the traffic between germany and italy is, it was just a matter of time.
There will be a lot more cases next week.