• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
If anything, COVID-19 introduced a lot of my collegues to hypochondria.
But I'm actually glad they are washing their hands now more often. :)

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
One hospital was built in 10 days, another in 12.

When it comes to capabilities of scale Western nations can't compare.
China didn't build shit. It was a bunch of prefabbed boxes slapped together. The US or any major western nation would have no problem doing the exact same.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
One interesting snippet from the WHO press conference is the initial symptoms of the disease.
88% fever
68% dry cough
Only 4% have a runny nose

This disease does not seem to (significantly) infect the upper respiratory tract, unlike a common cold. It's mostly in the lungs and doesn't cause a wet phleghmy cough.
I thought this might be good to know for people who are flying or travelling through some city with known cases and start getting paranoid when they get a runny nose a few days later.

The whole press conference is great and worth listening to, showing that the large-scale Chinese counter-measures are having a lot of success. There will be a lot of individual tragedies and mistakes that make for great fearmongering youtube videos, but the lockdown is generally working.

It's also worth noting that China has been doing a lot of testing and it seems to contradict the anecdotes and rumours that "Well it's just the tip of the iceberg, most people won't even feel very sick". Most people with symptoms do not have SARSCoV2, so it's not even the main cause of fever or cough in Wuhan. Infection tracing is very successful, indicating that most people get the virus from someone with a known symptomatic infection.

Apparently, a proper serology study is underway and should give results soon. This means they test a lot of random people to see if they have antibodies. This will give strong evidence on whether many people catch the virus and never know it.

WHO didn't get to wander freely through the hospitals, so some things might be getting hidden, but they saw enough to know that nothing is being hidden on a huge scale. The efforts being made by China are amazing and very high-tech.
My main worry is that while advanced Western hospitals are generally better than Chinese ones, they are also more 'stuck-in-their-ways'. China was able to redistribute entire hospitals full of regular patients in order to convert them to dedicated COVID19 hospitals (I suspect this will have caused some big problems and maybe even some deaths for the regular patients). They were able to quickly change and adapt. I can't imagine that working so well in the UK, though I hope I'm wrong.

I'm also a bit dissapointed in the reporting of the press conference. The main message was, "We can manage this, but we need to act", which has been reported as "We are not ready for a coronavirus pandemic".
Also, extra shame on the BBC reporter for using her one question to ask, "But what do you say to Steve Bannon who says there are 250,000 unreported deaths and over 1 million infections being hidden by the Chinese government" (the answer was basically, "I don't watch Steve Bannon and I don't know where he gets his information from. I've been in China for the last month and I'm telling you what I saw.")

I guess WHO really likes China, not sure what else WHO has been doing really.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
trying to put together a little blurb for friends/family. Does anything here seem wrong or is there anything important I've omitted:

let's talk coronavirus. Specifically the latest coronavirus, COVID-19.

here are some facts about it according to what we know now:
- it can transfer through your eyes, nose, and mouth, usually through droplets in the air from a cough or sneeze. This is why a mask alone would be insufficient for your protection: those pesky, pesky eyes. Wearing a mask is how you protect your germs from spreading to others.
- it has the highest rate of infection since the Spanish Flu, so it's super contagious
- incubation period of between one and 14 days...so you can have it and not even show symptoms for two weeks, which is part of why it's so hard to identify. People with no symptoms spread it.
- it most dramatically affects the elderly and immuno-compromised; you can see some recent stats in this chart:
https://cdn.statcdn.com/Infographic/images/normal/20860.jpeg

but viruses can mutate so these things could in theory change! it could get worse, but it also might not. Right now, most people who catch it will recover. So at this point in time, the most dramatic impact of the virus will probably be the resulting social unrest. Avoiding panic is super important and the following situation is pretty reasonable to imagine:
- the first recorded outbreak happens in your area
- people who did not read this post PANIC and clear out your grocery stores of anything remotely useful
- the hospitals and urgent care facilities near you get overwhelmed, so getting healthcare becomes exceedingly difficult

so what can you do to prepare?? well, here are some things to consider:
- in terms of avoidance, don't touch your face and wash your hands frequently and well. here's a guide for thorough hand-washing: http://atomalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/How_to_Handwash.jpg
- cover your face when you sneeze or cough
- consider what would happen if you couldn't go to the grocery store or get deliveries for a period of 2+ weeks. What would you need to survive? How much food and water? Multivitamins? Medication (anti-cold medicine, painkillers, antidiuretics)? Hygiene items (e.g. toothpaste, soap, menstrual products, toilet paper)? How would you take care of someone who gets sick in your family who got sick? Prepping now and buying whatever you can in advance before most people panic will greatly improve your quality of life.

some other questions you might have:
- there is no vaccine or cure. It is you and your body vs. the virus, old school-style. And you'll probably win! Here's an article that goes into more detail about why a vaccine has been challenging to produce so far: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/
- the U.S. government is woefully ill-prepared and the president's newest budget proposes millions in cuts to the CDC...so don't expect them to take charge of this. The U.S. is barely testing anyone at the moment, so the proactive movement you'd hope to see is just not there.
- even in Wuhan (where this strain of virus originated), they have never lost power or water so we're unlikely to reach that point of...well, apocalyptic outcome.

Not advocating for panic, but I do advocate for preparation. This whole thing could blow over with minimal impact, and that would be great! But also maybe not! I just wanted to bring it to more people's attention.

and I'll end by saying that any anti-Chinese racism or sentiment that's resulted from this outbreak is super awful and unnecessary.
I think it's way too long and technical but yeah it has a lot of the main info and that info is prolly going to change.

It's really hard to convince someone to start taking actions when nothing is going on in your area. And with the long asymptomatic period you can get infected, recover, or pass it along without ever knowing.

For most people it doesn't become real until it hits the local news or they hear it from someone else. You could be that someone else 😸

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Consider sharing them with sick relatives or coworkers instead of hoarding them for yourself. Remember, those masks are to prevent YOU from spreading sickness, not the other way around. None of you should be sitting on piles of masks.
Damn, should have done more resarch. I was under the impression that they help you not getting infected

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm also a bit dissapointed in the reporting of the press conference. The main message was, "We can manage this, but we need to act", which has been reported as "We are not ready for a coronavirus pandemic".
Also, extra shame on the BBC reporter for using her one question to ask, "But what do you say to Steve Bannon who says there are 250,000 unreported deaths and over 1 million infections being hidden by the Chinese government" (the answer was basically, "I don't watch Steve Bannon and I don't know where he gets his information from. I've been in China for the last month and I'm telling you what I saw.")
Yup, that sounds like the modern BBC.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
One hospital was built in 10 days, another in 12.

When it comes to capabilities of scale Western nations can't compare.

The difference is that if one of these Western nations you refer to builds a hospital, it will still be standing and functional in 20+ years.

What China built is impressive, but it is more akin to a FEMA field camp type facility than an actual hospital.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China didn't build shit. It was a bunch of prefabbed boxes slapped together. The US or any major western nation would have no problem doing the exact same.
10/12 days would be the time just to get the authorization to build the hospital here and the logistic behind this is damn impressive, it was extremely fast, dont need to be petty

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I guess WHO really likes China, not sure what else WHO has been doing really.

Sheesh these are the exact symptoms in had here in NYC a week ago. Fever for three days, no phlegm, and now a dry cough for the last few days. Went to the doc when I had the fever, negative for Influenza a/b. Not saying I think I have corona virus, just pointing out how difficult it will be to separate common colds/Flus from this bug.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
10/12 days would be the time just to get the authorization to build the hospital here and the logistic behind this is damn impressive, it was extremely fast, dont need to be petty
It's not being petty. Any major western nation can quickly put together large prefabbed structures. To say that the west doesn't have the ability to do so is false. The US military routinely does so in the middle of nowhere, in war zones.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
As an italian, it's safe to say that coronavirus is probably the less dangerous thing my country spread around the world. 😂

This brings to mind one of my favorite quotes from the criminally-underrated Transylvania 6-5000:

"My father was a great man...he dedicated his entire life to curing the common cold by injecting foreign viruses. And instead of being honored, they know him as the man who brought herpes to Sicily!"

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed case in Helsinki, Finland. A Finnish national who traveled from Milan has been confirmed to have COVID-19 a few hours ago. She's doing good according to the hospital, running a fever but other than that, she's doing okay for now.

Deleted member 23075

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Leveling the land and within the same timeframe?

From a CNN article:
"According to the Wuhan government, other facilities in the hospital include a medical technology building, a network computer room, a central supply warehouse and an ambulance decontamination room, among others."

konka

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I could build a lot of shit if I had workers at my disposal with no labor rights too.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not being petty. Any major western nation can quickly put together large prefabbed structures. To say that the west doesn't have the ability to do so is false. The US military routinely does so in the middle of nowhere, in war zones.
any country can do prefabbed structures buildings, but its false to say that anyone can do that fast and what they did is not impressive

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
A case was confirmed today in Macedonia. The same week I decide to go home to see my family. Great. :)

With how terrible the health system is here, this will spread easily, as the person apparently used public transport a lot for several days while visiting family members.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone take a domestic flight within the US lately? Are people wearing masks? (recirculated air, etc)

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

Haha good luck having the any country in the western hemisphere to slap some boxes together in a week or so. Are the capable? Yes. Is it really possible anywhere outside of China? very unlikely.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Trump tweeting about 'caronavirus' is pretty much par for the course. It could have been worse, half expected 'Covfefe-19'.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of the expectations for coronavirus in in India? I'll be going there in two weeks and wanted to get an idea. Everything I was able to find pointed to no significant issues there but better to confirm even more as none of the stuff I saw mentioned a possible outlook.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely don't want to see the markets hit too badly but Trump trying to act like coronavirus will be fine makes no sense for the markets long term

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
any country can do prefabbed structures buildings, but its false to say that anyone can do that fast and what they did is not impressive

Haha good luck having the any country in the western hemisphere to slap some boxes together in a week or so. Are the capable? Yes. Is it really possible anywhere outside of China? very unlikely.

Pre-fab buildings go up really fast no matter what country you're in. I was our internal project manager on a ~45k square foot Class 100 clean room we had built for us at one of our facilities, and it took about 3.5 work weeks including permitting (this was with an average of 3 workers on site at a time, working pretty casually), and the company we contracted with had a ton of concurrent jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if this one company was building out several hundred thousand square feet of pre-fab buildings in the region at the same time. What China did was force many different construction outfits to all work at the same time day and night on the same big project, while not having to worry about any permits or Western-level safety standards.

A Western company that builds pre-fabs could easily put a 600k square foot building up incredibly quickly if they had the materials and labor on hand and the government telling them not to worry about any kind of plan check.

I feel like people who haven't been involved with pre-fab construction really don't understand just how easily and quickly these projects go up.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Pre-fab buildings go up really fast no matter what country you're in. I was our internal project manager on a ~45k square foot Class 100 clean room we had built for us at one of our facilities, and it took about 3.5 work weeks including permitting (this was with an average of 3 workers on site at a time, working pretty casually), and the company we contracted with had a ton of concurrent jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if this one company was building out several hundred thousand square feet of pre-fab buildings in the region at the same time. What China did was force many different construction outfits to all work at the same time day and night on the same big project, while not having to worry about any permits or Western-level safety standards.

A Western company that builds pre-fabs could easily put a 600k square foot building up incredibly quickly if they had the materials and labor on hand and the government telling them not to worry about any kind of plan check.

I feel like people who haven't been involved with pre-fab construction really don't understand just how easily and quickly these projects go up.

Again, this is not a question of are they capable? Because they clearly are. But in a real case scenario, no other country can do what China did. Just say do it and get it done. The Chinese government doesnt need any approvals, permits, checks, or anything.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Again, this is not a question of are they capable? Because they clearly are. But in a real case scenario, no other country can do what China did. Just say do it and get it done. The Chinese government doesnt need any approvals, permits, checks, or anything.

This is not admirable, especially for a building that is going to hold thousands (tens of thousands?) of very sick people.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Brazil case could get really bad if the person used subway or went to an Carnival crowd. Sao Paulo was PACKED and really crowded in the subways stations and the famous "bloquinhos" (crowds of thousands of people enjoying music in the middle of the street, it's really really packed and crowded)

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone take a domestic flight within the US lately? Are people wearing masks? (recirculated air, etc)
The virus isn't airborne, it's only transmitted through contact / droplets. You aren't getting droplets through a circulated air system.

If you're within a couple of meters of someone with it you could obviously get droplets via them coughing though.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Tomorrow I return to university at the end, and an hour and half of public transports await me.. Maybe it is good, because at the end it was due to return sooner or later, but the state of alert is still on for the whole week. Hopefully few people will take public transports in these days..

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I work for a Local Authority in the UK and they just emailed everyone to say that any self isolation will still receive full pay and will not go against any sickness records, which is good.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

its easier with pre-fab, my father, brother, uncle are achitects i have an idea of how long it takes to build stuff, but you are not counting project, transportation of the stuff, machinery, terrain work, hiring personel, buying and installing stuff, hiring people to work in the hospital, even if we ignore the bureaucracy time and the fact that the factory needs to be dedicated to this one project. I imagine you counted water and electricity work. All that is not easy, to the scale of a big hospital to build in 10 days. Sure US could do that if they dedicated themselves and made the preparations, but its still impressive.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
German health minister just now warned germany is at the beginning of a epidemic outbreak and things changed in the last few hours. Pandemic plans are supposed to be set in motion soon because they don't know the path of infection of the infected today and yesterday.