• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US got military bases in most of the countries outside China that got confirmed cases of the coronavirus.
I'm not sure it's a huge deal since it should be very easy to confine soldiers to their base, and the military has better capacity to quarantine and control the infection than civilian society in general. Also soldiers on average are younger and healthier than the general population.
I just left south korea and they are starting to lock down the schools. The commissary is starting to get ran threw for raw meat because people are stocking up. Youre forgetting the dependants and children that are also at those bases. I think the last 3 cases were a military member, a dependent, and a military contractor.

I believe theres a navy base in Bahrain i was talking about.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that once they accept that China is not the only place of transmission and start testing people without the requirement that they were in China (or in close contact with someone from China) the number of cases in the US will probably jump quite quickly.

I think the methodology that they're going for is to treat the severely ill as they come in as most of the people infected with the virus don't show any symptoms at all. I'm being cynical, of course -- why screen patients that show no symptoms and no contact, after all?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I think the methodology that they're going for is to treat the severely ill as they come in as most of the people infected with the virus don't show any symptoms at all. I'm being cynical, of course -- why screen patients that show no symptoms and no contact, after all?

There were several reports (anectodal) of people with pneumonia-like symptoms (which may or may not be covid) who were refused tests because they didn't come into contact with anyone from china. The point is that the disease is not confined to china anymore so that guideline needs to change.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So basically, the virus has been spreading in various countries probably since last January/early February, but nobody knew that was it until now.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
Is there any legitimate cure for this or at least an effective treatment?. Can we expect a "racoon city" case?

It is evolving quite fast, and has already arrived in South America, where controls are less precise in the provinces than in the central capitals.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Just done some preventative stocking up on food, spent £400!! But I do think it is going to get pretty nasty here in the U.K.

Plenty of pasta, tuna, 50kg rice bag, tinned veggies etc stuff that we would normally eat. Will store and leave alone for a couple of months and see how this plays out. Hopefully if doesn't go mental so will just save on future shopping for a few months.

probably wise to order some face masks as well

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, I was just looking around locally for face masks since my family asked and it looks like a lot of people are clearing the shelves and flipping them on Kijiji for a profit.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just hope nobody that was in the same plane as that brazilian dude went to carnival because if they did it will be chaos

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance the mortality rate drops once we get a bigger sample size across a broader healthcare spectrum?

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
does anyone have a good link for resources for making a good prep kit? not freaking out, but would like the peace of mind of being prepared

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
No, there is no cure or treatment.

Your body will fight the infection, and it will either win or lose. This poses more of a danger to at-risk segments of the population, but it can be fatal to anyone.

I remember reading at some point that some system-boosting HIV treatments were found to help people recover? That's not exactly what most could consider a full treatment or cure, but its something?

I could be way off base here, full disclosure.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading at some point that some system-boosting HIV treatments were found to help people recover? That's not exactly what most could consider a full treatment or cure, but its something?
It's possible, but I think that stuff is happening when you already need life-saving intervention (like in the case of organ damage or failure).

For most, it seems like it just has to run its course. There's nothing yet that really affects the virus itself, even if they find something to mask or alleviate some of the symptoms.

Last edited:

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Sigh, I was just looking around locally for face masks since my family asked and it looks like a lot of people are clearing the shelves and flipping them on Kijiji for a profit.

Face masks won't stop you from getting it or spreading it. Don't waste your time.

We had a medical official in Australia confirm this today. He said you can wear one if it makes you feel better but that it won't make a difference either way.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not interested in getting one myself but I highly doubt it wouldn't make a difference in spreading it.

They said that the virus is so small that you can't contain it with a face mask. You can contain the fluid that someone may cough out but not the virus itself. The only mask that works is one that has its own air filter attached. The type you see people using in a lab with a full suit.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Face masks won't stop you from getting it or spreading it. Don't waste your time.

We had a medical official in Australia confirm this today. He said you can wear one if it makes you feel better but that it won't make a difference either way.
The CDC (and WHO) recommend that people who are suspected of being sick wear masks when around other people.

www.cdc.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China.

Prevention Steps for -
People with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 (including persons under investigation) who do not need to be hospitalized
and
People with confirmed COVID-19 who were hospitalized and determined to be medically stable to go home

Wear a facemask

You should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) or pets and before you enter a healthcare provider's office. If you are not able to wear a facemask (for example, because it causes trouble breathing), then people who live with you should not stay in the same room with you, or they should wear a facemask if they enter your room.

I don't know about the medical official in Australia, but AFAIK this is normal procedure for regular flu too.

data

Oct 25, 2017

I could be way off base here, full disclosure.

Talking about this maybe. It was helping severe people recover but it seems very experimental

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

It was useful and important for @CDCgov to say today that it is no longer a question of whether coronavirus will spread in US, only a matter
of when. This kind of direct statement was necessary to
motivate pragmatic preparedness action around the country. 1/x

.@CDCgov rightly talked about need to prepare hosps. [This should include plans to augment critical care; infxn control thru engineering+PPE to prevent HCW infxn or spread in hosps; triage to keep non-sick coronavirus pts home; wide availability of diagnostic tests et al] 2/x

.@CDCgov also usefully talked about potential need for communities to cancel mass gatherings, telecommute, telehealth in time ahead. [These could be sensible measures to decrease social interaction in communities in places and periods
when coronavirus is spreading.] 3/x

Closing schools would have more potential negative consequences. Substantial numbers of US kids get one or more meals a day at school + many parents would need to stay home from work. 4/x

How long would closures last? Would sports, camps, etc all be stopped? Does science show kids at high risk?[So far it doesn't] Are schools drivers of coronavirus spread? Local leaders will need to decide if science/pub health info shows benefits worth the consequences 5/x

Unfortunately, over course of day other conflicting statements from USG confused things, including WH Nat Econ Council saying: "officials have contained this." Conflicting messages will slow preparedness, erode confidence that government will be able to lead through this. 6/x

US has moved to phase of responding to coronavirus in which top USG health officials should do daily briefing to convey to public/press the latest info, what is known, what's not known, what's being done to get answers. This was done by @CDCgov in 2009H1N1 very effectively. 7/x

Another priority is rapid expansion of coronavirus dx testing. FDA should let qualified state/city pub health labs use their tests for COVID,
in pts w/ ARDS of unknown cause, pts w history of relevant international
travel, through surveillance of pts w coronavirus sx. 8/x

Surveillance for coronavirus in US cities should not be anonymized as is done with flu surveillance. If cases are found through surveillance at this stage of epidemic, health agencies need to know who they are so they can be informed, safely isolated, and cared for. 9/x

Information reported out from the international pub health mission
to China today was both encouraging [cases seem to be going down in China] but also difficult to interpret in terms of the implications for pub health decisions around the world. 10/x

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
They said that the virus is so small that you can't contain it with a face mask. You can contain the fluid that someone may cough out but not the virus itself. The only mask that works is one that has its own air filter attached. The type you see people using in a lab with a full suit.
The fluid or droplets that people cough out is one of the way the virus propagates. So yes having a mask can help protect others and yourself.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Can only hope the CDC does prepare the US.

Wasn't there an issue where we only have three states equipped that could do the tests and detect the virus?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
My iranian friends are hoping Khamenei get it too. Its not that far fetched now that its in the government already, if he get it he is almost certainly dead. He is probably in some bunker right now. That fucker didnt even apologize for the plane, he made a disgusting speech instead. Sorry is not in his vocabulary.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Wonder if this was posted earlier:

Why arent they taking this seriously? Like if you know someone in your cabinet has it, they have to lockdown the whole building and test everyone. You dont want all the gov heads dying from this. That's a terrible way to go. (Though like someone posted, maybe the evil regime leaders need a cleaning as disturbing as that is)

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Can only hope the CDC does prepare the US.

Wasn't there an issue where we only have three states equipped that could do the tests and detect the virus?

That might change from now on. At least they are now preparing for what's to come in the upcoming weeks, but yes, only 3 States were ready to deal with an eventual outbreak (at least testing wise).

Why arent they taking this seriously? Like if you know someone in your cabinet has it, they have to lockdown the whole building and test everyone. You dont want all the gov heads dying from this. That's a terrible way to go. (Though like someone posted, maybe the evil regime leaders need a cleaning as disturbing as that is)

It's getting really weird in Iran. Judging from what we can see in recent videos and news, it could get worse.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sweating it just yet. But I am slowly stockpiling food to avoid these empty supermarket shelves if anything does go down in my area.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I know, but not my idea... hence me looking up face masks for my family. -______-

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From "it's a hoax" to "it's a second flu" there's a looooooot of ground in between.

Are people real with all the stocking food and supplies? What do you honestly think will happen? I just don't understand

Why do you think there is no value in stocking food and supplies?

Why are you disagreeing with WHO?

www.who.int

When and how to use masks

WHO's guidance and advice on the use of masks to protect against and limit the spread of COVID-19.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So basically, the virus has been spreading in various countries probably since last January/early February, but nobody knew that was it until now.

well, yes or maybe.
again: it's impossible to distinguish Covid 19 from an annual influenza or even common cold (given that 80% have mild or no symptoms) without testing in a lab.

Plus we still have the annual influenza strain around which makes things even harder because, frankly, every third person is coughing and/or sneezing.
I traveled by overcrowded train yesterday for an hour and it was like in a doctors waiting room. After some dude coughed directly into my neck I had enough, left the train and took the bus (which was even worse, lol)