• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
There's no way there's only 50 cases in Iran if Bahrain has 17 imported cases from there. I highly doubt they all came from the same circle.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Good for now... but as far as i know, things could still go south for them unless they fully recovered (3 weeks) so it's still a waiting game for them.

I mean it's a serious thing but this kind of statement is contributing to the freak out over this. A waiting game for what? The 97% chance they don't die? And that number is predicated on most cases being in China, it's likely to be even higher in a fully developed country like Austria.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
My Boss came back from Milan / Italy to the office today (Canada), he cut his trip short and was there only 3 days, still very awkward moment when he step into the office this morning.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen anything quite like the people in this thread advising and advocating for others to not prepare emergency kits and emergency food/water supplies.

Stop fucking doing this.

The pictures of empty supermarket shelves are a reason why you should have a kit together, not a reason why you shouldn't.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way there's only 50 cases in Iran if Bahrain has 17 imported cases from there. I highly doubt they all came from the same circle.

Usually 4-6% of cases will be serious in nature, and out of them with professional help only approx 1% will die.
So with the amount of people who have died in Iran the number of infected should be much higher, also counting for that the number of dead right now only reflects who was infected a week ago(because of the time delay between being infected and actually dying).

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I've never seen anything quite like the people in this thread advising and advocating for others to not prepare emergency kits and emergency food/water supplies.

Stop fucking doing this.

The pictures of empty supermarket shelves are a reason why you should have a kit together, not a reason why you shouldn't.
Who in here has said general prepping isn't a good idea?

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

Stop fucking doing this.

Honestly, at first I thought it was just denial but now I wonder what their real issue is. Very concerning to read people like them policing others.

konka

Oct 25, 2017

Stop fucking doing this.

Having general emergency supplies is one thing. Prepping for Armageddon because of this virus is another thing entirely.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think China is "lying". The only question is whether they are effectively testing people.
The numbers will be affected by changes in diagnosis (see Feb 13) and changes back again, and by any changes in the testing strategy.

It's also worth noting that the Chinese numbers represent COVID-19, not SARS-CoV-2. You can get the virus without really suffering from the disease (a mild cold caused by SARS-CoV-2 is probably not going to count as COVID-19). It's a bit like the AIDS/HIV distinction, except that the incubation period is much shorter and you can naturally recover from SARS-CoV-2 without any medication. Trying to figure out the number of people (or the trend) with the virus is going to be incredibly hard because so many cases will be mild, and hospitals will have constantly evolving policies on whether to admit and test people with generic cold/fever symptoms.

Overall, the news is good though. I think we can be confident that it is not spiralling out of control in China, and that the recoveries outnumber the newly diagnosed.

Iran is more worrying, since they definitely are lying. The rapidly increasing number of cases in Italy are more worrying for me personally, as is the panic that it seems to be causing.

I'll be adding an extra bag of rice and pasta to my weekly shop, but that's more as a defence against empty shelves if people start panic-buying later. There's enough food in my house that no one will die if we get stuck indoors for 2 weeks. I don't know why people keep recommending buying water in this thread. It's a virus, not an earthquake or zombie invasion. The public water supply isn't going to fail.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
We were planning a Poland trip for late April but the way this is going that almost seems like exactly the time Poland would get hit if the virus isn't contained where it currently is.
End of April? Within the next couple of days seems more likely.
We're currently in the process of planning our summer vacation, but ending up quarantined in some hotel (like the one on Tenerife, which was one of our potential destinations) doesn't sound very appealing. Probably gonna delay booking a bit to see how the situation develops...

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having general emergency supplies is one thing. Prepping for Armageddon because of this virus is another thing entirely.
Extra food and sanitizer isn't prepping for Armageddon lol. I went to Costco, bought rice, peanut butter, nuts and a few canned, it's not like i bought for a month of food

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I mean, c'mon. It is contagious, but it's not extremely contagious.
Measles is extremely contagious. This has R0 of 2-3.
There are also cases like the guy on a plane with full blown symptoms and none of the other passengers getting infected.

I think the R0 is going to drop significantly when we see spread outside of China, imo of course.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Who in here has said general prepping isn't a good idea?

It's been happening regularly throughout the first thread and even the last page of this thread was all but dedicated to the topic. I'm not going to take an hour to prepare some kind of wall of shame, but I mean, someone even did it in response to my post you're quoting. Obviously nobody is going to use the specific language of "you should not have an emergency kit," but when someone says for example that it is selfish to buy extra food at the grocery store because someone else might need it, that is what they are essentially saying.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
ottawacitizen.com

Canadians being told to prepare for a possible novel coronavirus pandemic

As novel coronavirus outbreaks spread across a growing list of countries, Canadians are being warned to prepare for a possible pandemic.

I haven't followed the story in a while but it seems unusual for our government to make statements like this.

An increasing number of countries with potential outbreaks (could or could not happen) plus no travel restrictions increase the chances for a fast pandemic to take place. I think it's a good sign to see Canada is now taking it seriously. I wish that was the case here in Central and South America.

Last edited:

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
It's been happening regularly throughout the first thread and even the last page of this thread was all but dedicated to the topic. I'm not going to take an hour to prepare some kind of wall of shame, but I mean, someone even did it in response to my post you're quoting. Obviously nobody is going to use the specific language of "you should not have an emergency kit," but when someone says for example that it is selfish to buy extra food at the grocery store because someone else might need it, that is what they are essentially saying.

That isn't what they are essentially saying, everyone needs to stop being so sensitive to perceived criticism in here. Some, including me, are saying that the level of panic does not rise to the actual risk, which could cause unnecessary shortages in needed supplies as the virus continues it's seemingly inevitable trek around the world.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Places of worship are the worst for things like this. Every community should close these immediately until this all passes.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't what they are essentially saying, everyone needs to stop being so sensitive to perceived criticism in here. Some, including me, are saying that the level of panic does not rise to the actual risk, which could cause unnecessary shortages in needed supplies as the virus continues it's seemingly inevitable trek around the world.

There doesn't need to be any imminent risk to justify a person buying a food and water supply to keep on hand, of any size they're comfortable with. FEMA recommends 2 weeks of food and water per family member. A month is not unreasonable at all depending on where you live and what kind of natural disasters are common.

Regarding the "level of panic does not rise to the actual risk" comment, that's the whole point. Panic from the general public precedes a matching risk. If you wait until the risk is bearing down on you, you're way too late. You have to prepare before people are panicking or even thinking about panicking.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Livestream of Swiss department of health starts in a couple of minutes:

Edit: Man and his family are in quarantine. Beyond that no further actions planned at this point, no border controls, school will commence next week as usual, etc.

Last edited:

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at possible cancellation of Olympics. Health and safety takese priority, but all those atheletes time and dedication down the tubes.....

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017

If someone is looking for resetera advice to prepare for a crisis they deserve whats coming to them. This site is full of people that literally don't know how to wipe their ass or how to pee and create threads for it.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
UK here. I know someone that has just come back from holiday in a part of Italy with a warning on it. He's feeling "under the weather" and has been advised to self-isolate. Shit just got real.