• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

data

Oct 25, 2017
And each time they change their definition, the numbers go even lower, so one wonders what the heck are they even doing at this point. :/

That's exactly why it's important to do responsible preparations ahead of time, not when you start reading about new cases in your city on every newspaper, as that's definitely going to trigger people into full panic mode. That's when preparations don't even make sense; it's too late already, and supermarkets will empty.
Didn't one of the definitions explode the number?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
We have two confirmed cases in our country and suddenly:

I have not really prepared any food or something - I will do that tomorrow, buying a little more than needed. that picture grounded me a bit to stay calm and collected.

LOL
Why is it always Lidl that shows up in these types of photos?

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring Staff Post with Regards to Conspiracy Theories
I don't know what your definition of exploding is but sure. The virus is "exploding" in countries much more developed than China. You shouldn't be worried though because it takes a couple weeks for the numbers to stabilize. Look at China for example, people thought it was the end of the world when the number of cases kept going up by 50% each day but the number gradually fell.

you still believe the Chinese figures?

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Is there a bonus tied to the last paycheque?
He should ask really nicely to take a prorated bonus and skidaddle.

I'm not sure about the bonus but I do know they pay for his ticket home. Which just leads back to me saying they should of provided the ticket shortly after they decided to close the school. Its going to be diffcult for him to come home regardless because if they send him back the way he came then its Busan to Tokyo, Tokyo to Texas and finally Texas to South Carolina. Corona is literally everywhere except SC so far.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have two confirmed cases in our country and suddenly:

I have not really prepared any food or something - I will do that tomorrow, buying a little more than needed. that picture grounded me a bit to stay calm and collected.

Yeah, because it's there now. Can't call it "preparation" anymore. Should've done this before in smaller instances. People are crazy right now. All my italian Erasmus collegues are sending me pictures of empty supermarkets. That's what happens when everyone is eyeing it as "uhh, don't worry, nothing ever happens". People shouldn't be that way. Would've been better to stay cool and let everyone buy little bit more since weeks but of course not possible.
Wish you the best!

It's actually "Madonna mia" :'D

Oh hahaha! Thanks for the heads-up! So amazing.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, because it's there now. Can't call it "preparation" anymore. Should've done this before in smaller instances. People are crazy right now. All my italian Erasmus collegues are sending me pictures of empty supermarkets. That's what happens when everyone is eyeing it as "uhh, don't worry, nothing ever happens". People shouldn't be that way. Would've been better to stay cool and let everyone buy little bit more since weeks but of course not possible.
Wish you the best!

And yet you have people in this very thread trying to policy other people's choices when they want to prepare ahead of time.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Oh lord, there's no reason to think they're faking a plateau and gradual decline at this point.

It may not be end of the world but their numbers are definitely not telling the whole story. Best way to follow China now are by their actions, not their numbers. When city-wide quarantines, public spaces, travel restrictions, etc... start easing then that may be a sign at least the Government thinks it is under control....or the extreme measures have gone on enough that they have issues with public support and/or economy spiraling out of control.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Ho fuck I'm going to sicilia early April with wife and kids.
Well, no way this stupid virus spoils my vacations, so I guess I've got a few weeks to teach the kids the basic ways to avoid risks.

data

Oct 25, 2017
It did, but there's no point in rational discussion here when everyone wants to believe in conspiracy theories.
Yep, I think it was the first one, right? After that, I remember reading they fired some people, changed their criteria again and the numbers started to go down.
Yeah, think it was the first one and only reason it exploded was because they counted clinically diagnosed and not JUST lab tested.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
It may not be end of the world but their numbers are definitely not telling the whole story. Best way to follow China now are by their actions, not their numbers. When city-wide quarantines, public spaces, travel restrictions, etc... start easing then that may be a sign at least the Government thinks it is under control....or the extreme measures have gone on enough that they have issues with public support and/or economy spiraling out of control.

No, the best way to follow China is by taking the numbers at face value and not make up assumptions based on non-numerical subjective milestones. Given the numbers coming out of SK and Italy, the Chinese numbers aren't wildly out of sync.

Obviously there could be under-reporting of both active cases and COVID deaths, not caused by malicious authoritarianism but by a lack of visibility, but the reported cases and deaths seem to be following a predictable trend so why assume they are wrong?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Oh lord, there's no reason to think they're faking a plateau and gradual decline at this point.

This.
The percentual rate of new cases has been steadily going down since the start of February, and the number of active cases worldwide is dropping for a week now, but we still get people ITT who spout conspiracy theory crap.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about the bonus but I do know they pay for his ticket home. Which just leads back to me saying they should of provided the ticket shortly after they decided to close the school. Its going to be diffcult for him to come home regardless because if they send him back the way he came then its Busan to Tokyo, Tokyo to Texas and finally Texas to South Carolina. Corona is literally everywhere except SC so far.
Fuck it he needs to gtfo asap before flights get cancelled.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
'It's not ebola' is the new 'it's just another flu'

Not everyone is healthy and young. Not everyone has health insurance.

I also don't see anyone freaking out on this page. Why are you coming in here to tell us to get off the internet?

I am however getting irritated by people still coming in here to announce their travel plans in the next several weeks. Just cancel your trip.

It's shocking that a country as rich as the US can't just cover all medical costs for corona patients. That would go a long way in making sure people actually get treated and aren't spreading it even further. It shouldn't matter but it'd probably even be profitable. I'm assuming the only country where the healthcare insurance for corana is a concern is the US but I might be wrong there.

I don't think there's a point to cancelling trips though. If anything the recent developments showed us that even if you are somewhere where it's relatively safe now it can go very fast. Staying home isn't a guarantee to stay healthy (unless you lock yourself in 24/7 I guess) just the same as going on the trip isn't a guarantee to get sick. This is of course assuming you aren't talking about trips to China or other areas with a negative travel advisory. And I am of course also referring to people who when worst comes to worst can afford the treatment and are otherwise healthy.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Wish you the best!

I highly doubt most people would buy a little bit more every week to get to this week where they're stocked for a month or so if that's what you suggest. It's easier to say in hindsight but I can't think of any instances where that would realistically happen. If there's a (perceived) need to buy more, these people will buy A LOT more than necessary, otherwise it would just be shopping as usual.

If anything it's what people should do now instead of being selfish and buying as much as they can physically carry, as this can easily lead to some people getting nothing at all because everything else has already been bought. The amount of wasted food for this overreaction will be through the roof as well (people buy a shitton of the same foods -> a shortage in supply never happens because the emergency doesn't escalate -> people stop panicking and get tired of eating the same food for weeks -> waste).

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
It's so not dangerous that the largest quarantines in human history have been enacted to try and contain it.

Ebola isn't dangerous to most people because it is so deadly, it limits the spread. So terrible comparison.
"Largest quarantines". Yes, that sounds scary. But that's because it started it a huge, huge populated area and China has the power to do that (and they learned from the SARS outbreak). Quarantine is there to prevent it from spreading (which failed). It's a new virus, that's why. But that doesn't make it 100 times as dangerous as normal flu at once.

Worried about myself? No. Worried about my immunocompromised dad who has had pneumonia several times already? Absolutely.
There are definitely reasons to worry for governments, companies, and people. It sucks that your dad is in such a situation and I can definitely understand you are worried about that. But that's totally different than (young) people totally freaking out, like some people. Also, people in this thread (and in other places) are fueling each other's anxiety. By canceling holiday trips to non-infected areas, buying face masks in non-infected areas, stocking up food. You know what I mean.

Fun fact: face masks can even worse the chance to infect if you are not using it correctly.

'It's not ebola' is the new 'it's just another flu'

Not everyone is healthy and young. Not everyone has health insurance.

I also don't see anyone freaking out on this page. Why are you coming in here to tell us to get off the internet?

I am however getting irritated by people still coming in here to announce their travel plans in the next several weeks. Just cancel your trip.
I know and it sucks. But someone who could potentially die from it has a similar (though slightly smaller) chance to die from normal flu too. I think about 2700 people died from corona so far. Season flu kills about 650.000 people every year. See how little the number is?

And why would you cancel your holiday trip? Unless it's to an infected area?

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Children don't generally seem to be at risk of serious COVID-19 complications, based on the Chinese data. I'm not sure they fully understand why yet, but for whatever reason kids seem to be OK.
Immuno response is much different in Children then adults. Most likely Children are not responding strongly which is limiting the severity of the immuno response to the virus being its novel.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
This.
The percentual rate of new cases has been steadily going down since the start of February, and the number of active cases worldwide is dropping for a week now, but we still get people ITT who spout conspiracy theory crap.

Exactly.

From the hot takes in this thread and Twitter panic in general we are supposed to be all dead by now.
CONTAGION IS SUCH A GOOD MOVIE THOUGH

Despite the governments and big organizations lies, they are still more reliable than social media.

I'll trust the WHO before random dudes on Twitter.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
"Largest quarantines". Yes, that sounds scary. But that's because it started it a huge, huge populated area and China has the power to do that (and they learned from the SARS outbreak). Quarantine is there to prevent it from spreading (which failed). It's a new virus, that's why. But that doesn't make it 100 times as dangerous as normal flu at once.
Nah just like 20-30 times as deadly as the flu and much more transmissible. The quarantine obviously helped slow it down, which is important. You can also get a flu vaccine, can't for this.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet you have people in this very thread trying to policy other people's choices when they want to prepare ahead of time.

Exactly. Had them coming a lot of times at me but of course those are always so genius.

I highly doubt most people would buy a little bit more every week to get to this week where they're stocked for a month or so if that's what you suggest. It's easier to say in hindsight but I can't think of any instances where that would realistically happen. If there's a (perceived) need to buy more, these people will buy A LOT more than necessary, otherwise it would just be shopping as usual.

If anything it's what people should do now instead of being selfish and buying as much as they can physically carry, as this can easily lead to some people getting nothing at all because everything else has already been bought. The amount of wasted food for this overreaction will be through the roof as well (people buy a shitton of the same foods -> a shortage in supply never happens because the emergency doesn't escalate -> people stop panicking and get tired of eating the same food for weeks -> waste).

You're one of them. This suggestion would've worked better, but because "all people are selfish uhh duh".
If all people prepared for two weeks with always buying a little bit more, supermarkets would've NO issue to restock. It's all about scaling solutions. Supermarkets have enough supply and can restock. But how if everyone is just "nah, not doing it" and as soon as someone buys more you get completely sideeyed. And then when it's there everyone is in panic, even those that were SOOO COOOL before and buy so fast that supermarkets have issues with restocking. Get a grip please.

Also, what you write is completely nonsense. Durable stuff lasts often years, there's no waste in buying noodles, rice, ... Things that would waste away fast are in no way to see as a preparation. My gosh really.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'm so damn tired of these armchair virologists saying "Ohhh fuck the WHO they don't know anything, cowtowing to China always" like... I trust them over a thousand times more than "Coronavirus69" on Reddit.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Nah just like 20-30 times as deadly as the flu and much more transmissible. The quarantine obviously helped slow it down, which is important. You can also get a flu vaccine, can't for this.

A vaccine is being developed and, if successful, may be more effective at mitigating spread depending on the seasonal mutations and herd immunity. It seems likely to me that by the end of the flu season it will have killed more people than COVID-19, not because the Flu is more deadly, but because nobody really cares about the Flu... which fucking sucks every year.

People do need to allow a bit of concern because this is exponentially more straining on national health infrastructure compared to the flu.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.

From the hot takes in this thread and Twitter panic in general we are supposed to be all dead by now.
CONTAGION IS SUCH A GOOD MOVIE THOUGH

Despite the governments and big organizations lies, they are still more reliable than social media.

I'll trust the WHO before random dudes on Twitter.
Yes, trust the WHO: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/cor...s-will-be-literally-knocking-at-the-door.html They don't think it is a pandemic yet (but theres other reasons for that which were discussed yesterday), but countries need to be prepared for large outbreaks.

Here's the facts: 1.) It is extremely contagious, with the transmission vector not being fully understood., 2.) It is mild in 80% of the infected which exacerbates #1, 3.) It is showing resiliency in several environments so it most likely be with us a long time. 4.) Because of all the above, no one should panic over cases and just practice good hygiene. If you do catch it (and over time chance will probably be high just like the flu), it is not the end of the world. Also over the coming months, medical staff should be able to learn how to treat/mitigate symptoms for most of the populace save the most vulnerable (like the flu).

A lot of people are over blowing this but for whatever reason some of you are extremely down playing it as well which is just as dangerous and irresponsible.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I don't know whether they are faking it or not, but they definitely have a reason to...the economy.

The ruling party is ruthless and authoritarian but they aren't stupid. Faking a gradual decline would mean that they are hiding continued unmitigated community transmission which would affect their economy MORE in the end.

I think, more importantly, given the numbers we are seeing in more transparent regions of the world, there is no reason to think China is intentionally misleading the global community.

If this conspiracy theory is correct, the actual transmission rate and death rate would have to be higher correct? We simply aren't seeing that in SK and Italy.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Another good Note:

j6REun3.png

It's basically a week since the number of Recovered cases is higher than the number of new Cases on a daily basis.
Why is this not getting any play here?

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Exactly. Had them coming a lot of times at me but of course those are always so genius.

You're one of them. This suggestion would've worked better, but because "all people are selfish uhh duh".
If all people prepared for two weeks with always buying a little bit more, supermarkets would've NO issue to restock. It's all about scaling solutions. Supermarkets have enough supply and can restock. But how if everyone is just "nah, not doing it" and as soon as someone buys more you get completely sideeyed. And then when it's there everyone is in panic, even those that were SOOO COOOL before and buy so fast that supermarkets have issues with restocking. Get a grip please.

Also, what you write is completely nonsense. Durable stuff lasts often years, there's no waste in buying noodles, rice, ... Things that would waste away fast are in no way to see as a preparation. My gosh really.
As previously stated in this thread I bought what I usually buy plus slightly more pasta (2 additional 500g packs), so no, I'm not one of them.

Your suggestion is surely sound in theory but I still think that it never ever happens, not even in Tornado season in the US (as I've seen photos of emptied stores just like now in Italy).

Perishable stuff might not be seen as preparation from you but it's still stuff that has been overbought in stores in Italy right now, as well as fruits and vegetables and milk (which have an even shorter shelf life than meat) and will likely be partly wasted

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That graph is such a breath of fresh air. I guess China has done well in containing the virus, after all?

Let's hope that the outbreak in other countries are going to be controlled as well.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That statistic is heavily weighted towards China because of their huge number of cases. If it's on the decline there, that graphic will look good even though it's exploding everywhere else.
That doesn't change its relevancy in the slightest. Bottom line is the total active cases continues to drop, daily new cases have plummeted, and recoveries have skyrocketed. Most of the cases being in China just points to the other truth - that the virus is contained like 99% in China, and it's not an out of control wildfire like fear-mongering media and cherry picking negative twitter posts would have one believe.

That isn't to say this isn't extremely serious, but the trend is far more positive than is largely let on.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Another good Note:

j6REun3.png

It's basically a week since the number of Recovered cases is higher than the number of new Cases on a daily basis.
Well, that graph makes sense. Unless you die, your body fights off something like that eventually. You don't stay sick forever. Now the recovery period seems to be kicking in.

But, it's still encouraging.

Icepick_1878

Nov 29, 2017
That doesn't change its relevancy in the slightest. Bottom line is the total active cases continues to drop, daily new cases have plummeted, and recoveries have skyrocketed. Most of the cases being in China just points to the other truth - that the virus is contained like 99% in China, and it's not an out of control wildfire like fear-mongering media and cherry picking negative twitter posts would have one believe.

That isn't to say this isn't extremely serious, but the trend is far more positive than is largely let on.

I agree. Should have worded it better.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020

We can probably safely say that there won't be an explosion of active cases out of Italy if only because population density isn't comparable, the relative obscurity of numbers out of Iran are concerning.

All that is to say, I expect the number of active cases will continue to decline unless mitigation in SK is an abject failure.