• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
TCM is all bullshit, but there is no reason to believe this outbreak is related to this stuff.

TCM is not all bullshit. It works for some people - and for some, it doesn't work. I went to one for my Tinnitus and congested year after seeing several ENTs last year, and it solved the problem for me.

I'm sort who will always go to western medicine first for my problems. But if it doesn't work - you turn to alternatives.

Typical ERA mindset where everything is either in black or white.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
TCM is not all bullshit. It works for some people - and for some, it doesn't work. I went to one for my Tinnitus and congested year after seeing several ENTs last year, and it solved the problem for me.

I'm sort who will always go to western medicine first for my problems. But if it doesn't work - you turn to alternatives.

It is definitely bullshit though when it's pushing itself down patient's throats by state decree in Wuhan and other places in China even now.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Historically, it was something the CPC invented pretty much of whole cloth because they were poor as fuck and couldn't afford medicine for the entire population.
The people who pushed for that knew that modern medicine is better than that, but China couldn't afford it at the time.
They pulled stuff from a lot of places and sources, so it's possible that some of the stuff there do work for certain things, but as a concept of medicine, it's bullshit.

Anecdotally, I have tried TCM versions for simple OTC stuff (headache, fever, cough, heartburn) and none of it seem to work for me.

Last edited:

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Aaand we're back to Level 3 in South Korea:

wwwnc.cdc.gov

COVID-19 and Travel

CDC travel recommendations during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Screenshotting their notices page this time:

ePPW2dA.png

Shit shit shit. My bf has been there the last year in Busan teaching and hes been set to come home March 12th. Last week was the final week of school and they closed it because of the virus. They should of put his ass on the plane then instead hes still there and concerned that they might quarantine the whole damn city before he gets out.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit shit shit. My bf has been there the last year in Busan teaching and hes been set to come home March 12th. Last week was the final week of school and they closed it because of the virus. They should of put his ass on the plane then instead hes still there and concerned that they might quarantine the whole damn city before he gets out.
Is there a bonus tied to the last paycheque?
He should ask really nicely to take a prorated bonus and skidaddle.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
TCM is all bullshit, but there is no reason to believe this outbreak is related to this stuff.

All cultures in the world have herbal remedies for illnesses. Even western medicine say that some foods help boost immune systems, lower cancer risks. It's not hard for me to imagine scientific reasoning behind some stuff working. As with all things, gotta use your best judgement.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All cultures in the world have herbal remedies for illnesses. Even western medicine say that some foods help boost immune systems, lower cancer risks. It's not hard for me to imagine scientific reasoning behind some stuff working. As with all things, gotta use your best judgement.
TCM as we currently know it is something slightly more specific than that, see my previous post.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I have a good friend who got horribly sick after trying some TCM (at her family's insistence) while pregnant. My best judgement says to stick with peer-reviewed and experimentally proven medicine.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I have never met a Chinese person who ate that shit and pretty much every single one of my friends hate the idea of this bush meat markets.
Most of the places that sell exotic meat are also not exactly fancy places.
I am also going to be quite surprised if this from pangolin, people don't get sick from eating the meet but form being in close proximity to sick animals, and no one is having pangolins in a public meat market in China.

I mean, I an anecdotedly say the same thing, but accounting for a large population, it still does happen. It was said above that this exotic meat industry is... kind of big. Farmed or not, it's still a thing and a place where animals can potemtially get sick as well.

Doesn't change the fact that if this new law is actually taken seriously, it could deter these sorts of sketchy markets from even opening up, which is still better for for the people and animals.

marches

Dec 18, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Perpetuating Stereotypes; Thread Derail
Does exotic animals being forbidden to eat include dogs? I heard that most dogs eaten in China were stolen from their owners. I hope that their government does something about that.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does exotic animals being forbidden to eat include dogs? I heard that most dogs eaten in China were stolen from their owners. I hope that their government does something about that.
They don't really eat dogs in China.
They have this one festival that started in the 90s in bum fuck Guangxi to promote a local alcoholic drink where they use dog meat as a gimmick, but that's about it.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't really eat dogs in China.
They have this one festival that started in the 90s in bum fuck Guangxi to promote a local alcoholic drink where they use dog meat as a gimmick, but that's about it.
Dude there are some very graphic videos on YouTube dogs being cooked in China. They're not fake. And how do you use actual dog meat as a gimmick?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Dude there are some very graphic videos on YouTube dogs being cooked in China. They're not fake. And how do you use actual dog meat as a gimmick?

Yeah. Dog meat was part of the diet for some regions. The particular town in the video is infamous there for their treatment. Idk the practice is still going on there.

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I meant that it's a way to attract tourists to their lychee liqueur festival.
It's not something that they eat there or anywhere on the regular. Most Chinese people find it repulsive and there are constant social media campaigns to get that banned. People in the west only heard of this festival because Chinese people raised a fuss on weibo.

Also, do we really have to do this kind of shit in this thread?

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
www.reuters.com

One of Korean Air's cabin crew tests positive for coronavirus

One of the cabin crew of Korean Air has tested positive for coronavirus, the airline said on Tuesday, prompting it to shut its office near the Incheon International Airport, where the crew briefing room is located.

SEOUL (Reuters) - One of the cabin crew of Korean Air has tested positive for coronavirus, the airline said on Tuesday, prompting it to shut its office near the Incheon International Airport, where the crew briefing room is located.

The Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) notified the carrier of the employee confirmed to have been infected, an airline spokeswoman told Reuters.

Details of routes and flights flown by the employee were not immediately available.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I meant that it's a way to attract tourists to their lychee liqueur festival.
It's not something that they eat there or anywhere on the regular. Most Chinese people find it repulsive and there are constant social media campaigns to get that banned. People in the west only heard of this festival because Chinese people raised a fuss on weibo.

Also, do we really have to do this kind of shit in this thread?

Also, is eating dogs somehow a worse dietary practice than eating pigs, cows, goats?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, is eating dogs somehow a worse dietary practice than eating pigs, cows, goats?
I think it's kinda bad that so many people in the west think they eat dogs in China.
And I don't know, do people really have to pop in this thread and wax poetic about the thing they read about China and they don't like?
Like, if the US was dealing with an epidemic would people come and say how if you don't tip then the NRA come and shoot you?

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Will probably go to buy 2 weeks worth of food and water this week. There's a new case of infection almost everyday and have this feeling that the Japanese government isn't taking the situation too seriously because economy is more important for them. Masks are almost impossible to find here in Tokyo.
If the situation doesn't get worse, at least I'll have enough food and water if there's a huge earthquake or during the typhoon season.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Wait a second. South Korea intends to test all 200,000 members of the Shincheonji church for coronavirus*, but Japan refused to test everyone on the Diamond Princess --- just a few thousand people --- because it was too difficult? Something doesn't add up here.

[*] https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-centre-of-coronavirus-outbreak-idUSKCN20J048
Japan has had awful response to the virus.
They have similar cases to Korea and they have done nothing.
Just yesterday they said that they were gonna let people that worked in the Princess for containment go back home without any test at all.
In Tokyo's public transport.

Sep 17, 2018
What the hell is going on in Germany?

www.reddit.com

r/Coronavirus - Germany is embarassing itself

210 votes and 103 comments so far on Reddit

At least they've finally started testing people with flu-like symptoms.

The virologist Alexander Kekulé previously called for significantly more tests for the new corona virus in Germany.

www.mdr.de

Ab sofort Coronavirus-Test bei Grippeverdacht | MDR.DE

Patienten mit Grippeverdacht werden laut Robert-Koch-Institut jetzt stichprobenartig auf das neue Coronavirus untersucht. In mehreren Praxen werden Abstriche auf Influenzaviren und auf das Virus aus China getestet.

Just thought I'd let you know that's not how those tweets read at all. He's just pointing out that a helpful source might have been closed off for the public.
He should have asked them directly instead of calling them out on Twitter. This was posted 20 minutes before those tweets:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Where did you see that report?
www3.nhk.or.jp

クルーズ船で業務 厚労省職員 多くがウイルス検査せず職場復帰 | NHKニュース

新型コロナウイルスの集団感染が確認されたクルーズ船で、厚生労働省の職員の多くが、船内での業務を終えた後、ウイルス検査を受…
headlines.yahoo.co.jp

検査をせずに23人をクルーズ船から下船させるミス 加藤厚労相が陳謝(ABEMA TIMES) - Yahoo!ニュース

クルーズ船の乗客23人について、本来は必要な再検査をせずに下船させていたことがわかった。
www.yomiuri.co.jp

栃木の60代女性、クルーズ船下船後検査で陽性 : 社会 : ニュース

栃木県は22日、新型コロナウイルスの集団感染が起きたクルーズ船「ダイヤモンド・プリンセス」を19日に下りた60歳代の女性が、下船後の検査で陽性であることが判明したと発表した。同船からは、検査で陰性となり症状のない約97
The first one is what I am talking about. They're in Japanese, but using google translate you can easily know what they're talking about.

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm Chinese and a guy covered his mouth with his jacket as I got on the London Tube carriage. I wouldn't have connected it if I hadn't seen that happen in a video online.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Hong Kong schools are closed until April 20 at the earliest.

www.scmp.com

No return to school for Hong Kong pupils until after Easter at earliest

School classes will remain suspended until after Easter holiday but education chief says university entrance exams will go ahead as planned from March 27.

Hong Kong school closures will be extended until the end of the Easter holiday, though written tests for university entrance exams will go ahead as planned from March 27, education officials have announced.

Secretary for Education Kevin Yeung Yun-hung said on Tuesday classes at all kindergartens and primary and secondary schools would be suspended until April 20 at the earliest, confirming an earlier Post report.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Virus arrived in Firenze, and Palermo.
Tuscany and Sicily.
www.repubblica.it

Coronavirus, 325 casi in Italia. Altri tre morti in Lombardia e uno in Veneto, le vittime diventano 11

I dati aggiornati della protezione civile. Casi in 9 regioni. Primi contagi in Toscana e a Palermo e due in Liguria. Ricciardi (Oms): "Ridimensionare l…

Inevitable unfortunately. You can't stop millions of people moving between places, especially if they don't feel ill at all (since you could be carrying it for weeks before you even cough). I'm honestly almost waiting for it to happen here as well to get over with it ASAP.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell is going on in Germany?

www.reddit.com

r/Coronavirus - Germany is embarassing itself

210 votes and 103 comments so far on Reddit

At least they've finally started testing people with flu-like symptoms.

www.mdr.de

Ab sofort Coronavirus-Test bei Grippeverdacht | MDR.DE

Patienten mit Grippeverdacht werden laut Robert-Koch-Institut jetzt stichprobenartig auf das neue Coronavirus untersucht. In mehreren Praxen werden Abstriche auf Influenzaviren und auf das Virus aus China getestet.

He should have asked them directly instead of calling them out on Twitter. This was posted 20 minutes before those tweets:

I have the flu since Sunday and went to the doctor yesterday. This was also the first time they had to immediately take my blood and to test it which confused me. Not like I will have it (they didn't take anything from my nose or throat so in my case I wasn't on the radar there), but I wouldn't be surprised if they are very cautious now. They even took 5 and not 3 blood ampoules. Carnevale will fuck everyone up yeah.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
An Italian doctor staying at hotel H10 Costa Adeje Palace (Tenerife, Spain) has been tested positive for COVID-19. The hotel, with a little over 1k people, has been put in quarantine.

metro.co.uk

Hotel 'in lockdown' after doctor tests positive for coronavirus

An Italian doctor, believed to be from the region of Italy where there is a coronavirus outbreak, has tested positive for the illness.

Edit: fixed typo.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
And Italian doctor staying at hotel H10 Costa Adeje Palace (Tenerife, Spain) has been tested positive for COVID-19. The hotel, with a little over 1k people, has been put in quarantine.

metro.co.uk

Hotel 'in lockdown' after doctor tests positive for coronavirus

An Italian doctor, believed to be from the region of Italy where there is a coronavirus outbreak, has tested positive for the illness.
It feels like Spain is only getting the virus due to tourists lol
I hope it didn't infect anyone.

Nov 1, 2017
Some good news from Vietnam..

All 16 people in Vietnam infected with a new coronavirus have been cured, the health ministry said on Tuesday, adding that no new cases have been recorded since Feb. 13.

www.nytimes.com

All 16 of Vietnam's Coronavirus Sufferers Cured

All 16 people in Vietnam infected with a new coronavirus have been cured, the health ministry said on Tuesday, adding that no new cases have been recorded since Feb. 13.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Another good Note:

j6REun3.png

It's basically a week since the number of Recovered cases is higher than the number of new Cases on a daily basis.

Wonderboy

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone have reliable information about the situation in Thailand? I will be flying there next week and all this talk about banning people coming from Thailand is freaking me out right now...

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
This isn't a thread about TCM.

I would argue that when TCM (even TCM injections, which is even more bullshit than oral) is being forcibly promoted and used during treatment of patients throughout China, it is a risk factor and just goes to show what kind of autocratic shithole the whole situaion is.

Also it is confirmed that the new wildlife trade ban does not include banning "medicinal use", which means the ban will not work.

The whole situation partly arises from typical Chinese philosophy towards medicine, and the combination of medicine and food. It is something that is in complete contradiction to modern understanding of medical and nutritional science.

And before anyone accusing me of orentialism or anyting like that, I'm Chinese and I'm tired of my compatriots spouting all those quackery for ages.