• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Can China actually stop this from happening or will trade continue in a gray market that does not officially state the origin of the animals.

I'm sure black markets will persist in some shape or form. There will be a lot of people that will need to find more work, but maybe it will give a chance for some endangered species numbers to recover a bit, if this is successful. If some of those species went extinct, I'm sure those people would also be out of work then.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm sure black markets will persist in some shape or form. There will be a lot of people that will need to find more work, but maybe it will give a chance for some species numbers to recover a bit, if this is successful. If some of those species went extinct, I'm sure those people would also be out of work then.

Well a lot of the species are actually farm raised.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The age brackets at risk are substantially different from the swine flu (which killed a lot of people in their prime, and teenagers as well as the usual vulnerable groups), this has around 0.2-0.4 CFR under the age of 50, as far as we know.
That last part is important, because if this thing really has a mild or even asymptomatic progress in the vast majority of people, as experts seem to think, the real CFR might be much lower.
I keep reading this kind of rhetoric around here.

So what if the majority of victims are elderly? They're people too and not less human than us the younger ones. I have parents and families who are in their late age and I don't want to see them suffer from this virus. We, the youngs can still carry it and spread it to those elderly people. We can potentially kill them if we keep downplaying this issue.

Wonderboy

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, why is Kuwait banning people coming from Thailand now? Is there something they know that we don't? I have a flight to Thailand next week, via OmanAir and I am already nervous and don't want to be stuck there... I know about the 30 something cases in Thailand but that number hasn't changed at all, what seems very strange for me.... People on Reddit seem to be very relaxed about it though

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017

I assume they're just going to try to reduce any unnecessary travel for affected areas within the EU, rather than closing off entire countries.

Considering the nature of the EU, it makes some sense. When free movement between countries is a thing, using borders as quarantine points seems kind of arbitrary.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Maria Rita Gismondo, director of the Sacco laboratory in the omonimous hospital in MIlan (the main structure dealing with the hospitalized cases of coronavirus in northern Italy), wrote this on Facebook:

"This looks like madness to me. An infection slightly more serious than a flu has been treated (by the media) like a lethal pandemia. It's not like this. Look at the numbers. This madness is going to hurt a lot, especially from an economic point of view".

www.corriere.it

La direttrice del laboratorio Sacco: «Non esagerate, una follia che farà male». La risposta di Burioni: «No a bugie»

Il post su Facebook di Maria Rita Gismondo si sfoga: «Una follia, scambiata un'infezione appena più seria di un'influenza per una pandemia letale»

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Has China given us the numbers for today?

Last edited:

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
While that Italian doctor is right the situation with the virus is tanking the economy, it seems to me she's being willingly obtuse just why people are worried - the virus seems to be quite contagious, can have asymptomatic carriers that can transmit the infection for a while before showing symptoms (with the flu you're contagious from a day before you show symptoms) and with no vaccine for the at risk groups. Obviously you're going to have people worried!

Propagating panic doesn't help at all and must be avoided, but that kind of statements don't help either.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Maria Rita Gismondo, director of the Sacco laboratory in the omonimous hospital in MIlan (the main structure dealing with the hospitalized cases of coronavirus in northern Italy), wrote this on Facebook:

"This looks like madness to me. An infection slightly more serious than a flu has been treated (by the media) like a lethal pandemia. It's not like this. Look at the numbers. This madness is going to hurt a lot, especially from an economic point of view".

www.corriere.it

La direttrice del laboratorio Sacco: «Non esagerate, una follia che farà male». La risposta di Burioni: «No a bugie»

Il post su Facebook di Maria Rita Gismondo si sfoga: «Una follia, scambiata un'infezione appena più seria di un'influenza per una pandemia letale»
Yeah 20-30 times as deadly as the flu only slightly more serious. Not to mention the huge number of hospitalizations from it. Should totally ignore it and downplay it until the medical system is overwhelmed and martial law is needed like what happened in Wuhan.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

So what if the majority of victims are elderly? They're people too and not less human than us the younger ones. I have parents and families who are in their late age and I don't want to see them suffer from this virus. We, the youngs can still carry it and spread it to those elderly people. We can potentially kill them if we keep downplaying this issue.

You're reading a lot of stuff I didn't write there, friend. Everyone has parents and family who are seniors.
And we (as in "we" in general, not Resetera posters) can also kill a bunch of people if we keep panicking and spreading FUD and looting supermarkets as soon as someone coughs.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
While that Italian doctor is right the situation with the virus is tanking the economy, it seems to me she's being willingly obtuse just why people are worried - the virus seems to be quite contagious, can have asymptomatic carriers that can transmit the infection for a while before showing symptoms (with the flu you're contagious from a day before you show symptoms) and with no vaccine for the at risk groups. Obviously you're going to have people worried!

Propagating panic doesn't help at all and must be avoided, but that kind of statements don't help either.
I agree. But, to be fair, her team is working 24/7 on the analysis of the virus and the tests, so she has surely a point on the question.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
the virus seems to be quite contagious, can have asymptomatic carriers that can transmit the infection for a while before showing symptoms (with the flu you're contagious from a day before you show symptoms) and with no vaccine for the at risk groups. Obviously you're going to have people worried!

The asymptomatic carrier thing is not proven.
The R0 is also unclear, but current estimates are in line with flu (2-3).

You're doing the exact thing you say we shouldn't do in the last sentence.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Best thing you can do is ignore it, there's nothing to be gained from those exchanges. While it took me some time I finally figured it out that the best way to solve it is to just move on, I'd rather let it go and keep on reading the thread as a news aggregate.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017

R0 of flu is more like 1.2/1.3 not 2-3 so not like the flu.
Twenty-four studies reported 47 seasonal epidemic R values. The median R value for seasonal influenza was 1.28 (IQR: 1.19–1.37).
bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com

Estimates of the reproduction number for seasonal, pandemic, and zoonotic influenza: a systematic review of the literature - BMC Infectious Diseases

Background The potential impact of an influenza pandemic can be assessed by calculating a set of transmissibility parameters, the most important being the reproduction number (R), which is defined as the average number of secondary cases generated per typical infectious case. Methods We...

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017

Proven as in a real scientific study with control groups proven? Some of the cruise ship evacuees have tested positive with no symptoms.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Aaand we're back to Level 3 in South Korea:

wwwnc.cdc.gov

COVID-19 and Travel

CDC travel recommendations during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Screenshotting their notices page this time:

ePPW2dA.png

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
R0 of flu is more like 1.2/1.3 not 2-3 so not like the flu.
bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com

Estimates of the reproduction number for seasonal, pandemic, and zoonotic influenza: a systematic review of the literature - BMC Infectious Diseases

Background The potential impact of an influenza pandemic can be assessed by calculating a set of transmissibility parameters, the most important being the reproduction number (R), which is defined as the average number of secondary cases generated per typical infectious case. Methods We...
Is that based on all year and not just flu season?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You're reading a lot of stuff I didn't write there, friend. Everyone has parents and family who are seniors.
And we (as in "we" in general, not Resetera posters) can also kill a bunch of people if we keep panicking and spreading FUD and looting supermarkets as soon as someone coughs.
No one is encouraging people to go in full panic mode in here. Everyone seems pretty reasonable so far and inform each other with best practices in dealing with it.

Downplaying the mortality rate may cause more harm than good, because it may lead people to become too lenient.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
That's proof of an incubation period, not proof of asymptomatic spread. Admittedly, it's a difficult thing to conclusively prove, especially if people claim not to have symptoms when they actually do.
They could do viral titers on those patients and work backwards from there but that's way less important than getting more potential patients tested at this time.

octopedes

Feb 3, 2018
So my sister and her boyfriend are getting goggles and N95 masks and begging me to do the same. They live in Pennsylvania.

Are they freaking out over nothing?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can China actually stop this from happening or will trade continue in a gray market that does not officially state the origin of the animals.
China generally not that great at enforcing rules and regulation very well, a lot of that stuff was already banned after SARS and those stalls at the seafood market were breaking existing laws, but they were not enforced.
With that being said, I feel this time they will take it way more seriously and also the I think the public is really really turning against this whole habit. It's not like it was a popular thing most people consumed, far from it, but after the shit they go through these days I would not surprise if people straight up go vigilante justice on places that try to sell bat meat or any of that stuff.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
China generally not that great at enforcing rules and regulation very well, a lot of that stuff was already banned after SARS and those stalls at the seafood market were breaking existing laws, but they were not enforced.
With that being said, I feel this time they will take it way more seriously and also the I think the public is really really turning against this whole habit. It's not like it was a popular thing most people consumed, far from it, but after the shit they go through these days I would not surprise if people straight up go vigilante justice on places that try to sell bat meat or any of that stuff.

I really hope that things will start changing, both to benefit the people and a lot of the stuff those animals endure (rare or not). When things like bushmeat become a "delicacy" rather than an essential food for a small village, I think is where it can become a problem when it actually creates a demand for rare animals (farmed or not). It's best to just avoid interacting with some animals, especially with eating them, when there are other options.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
So my sister and her boyfriend are getting goggles and N95 masks and begging me to do the same. They live in Pennsylvania.

That sounds like an overreaction to me. The epidemic certainly isn't nothing, but they're in an area that hasn't (so far as I know) seen any infected cases, and if they are young the odds of contracting a serious case are low to begin with. The masks would maybe help keep them from spreading the virus if they had it themselves, but we're a ways out from that being a likely scenario in the US.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope that things will start changing, both to benefit the people and a lot of the stuff those animals endure (rare or not). When things like bushmeat become a "delicacy" rather than an essential food for a small village, I think is where it can become a problem when it actually creates a demand for rare animals (farmed or not). It's best to just avoid interacting with some animals, especially with eating them, when there are other options.
It's not some sort of high class fancy food for the rich and powerful.
It's way closer to the roadkill and exotic meat places you see in the US in terms of their place in society. Most Chinese people will treat the idea of eating a bat similarly to the way you would.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't hurt to be prepared. People in Italy thought they were far away from an outbreak, that changed in what 2 days. Its not like a couple masks take up a lot of space.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's not some sort of high class fancy food for the rich and powerful.
It's way closer to the roadkill and exotic meat places you see in the US in terms of their place in society. Most Chinese people will treat the idea of eating a bat similarly to the way you would.

I'm thinking of some animals like the pangolin. In that case though, while the meat is considered a delicacy, it was already being harvested for its scales to grind up into medicine.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
No one is encouraging people to go in full panic mode in here. Everyone seems pretty reasonable so far and inform each other with best practices in dealing with it.

Downplaying the mortality rate may cause more harm than good, because it may lead people to become too lenient.
This right here. Each time the virus comes to a new area there is a massive panic in that area. If we start informing people now and educating them it will help in the long run. I mean eventually we can't just keep quarantining countries, cities etc. So instead of having massive overreactions when it spreads we should be preparing for spread everywhere and how to deal with it

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
2 weeks of non-perishables sounds reasonable. 2 months might be a bit overkill. Just try to prepare responsibly in any way that makes you feel comfortable. Take some breaks from Reddit, the news, this thread, etc. if you notice you're starting to feel anxious.
I have some LA friends who are freaked out about it too and when they're told this, they shoot back "but I need to keep an eye on it to know when or if it starts spreading here" I don't.. really know what to say back to that. I'm keeping an eye on it for that same reason too honestly. Being in LA with LAX like right there is kinda freaky, there was that lady going to Central America a week or so ago that travelled through LAX but since there hasn't been any update on her condition I assume/hope she's ok?

I've been wondering about goggles. Or even just glasses? Like, if shit goes down, obviously the rule of thumb is wash your hands, don't touch your face. But that doesn't save you from some asshole coughing or sneezing on you (in the past week I've been coughed on five times and sneezed on twice in public, I'm fucking o v e r that shit). So the mask is better for people who are already sick because it keeps their spit etc from flying out onto a face, and I assume they say it's not as effective for healthy people because... why, actually? I don't think I've seen a reason? But logically, your eyes are still exposed with the mask on. So.. glasses/goggles?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking of some animals like the pangolin. In that case though, while the meat is considered a delicacy, it was already being harvested for its scales to grind up into medicine.
I have never met a Chinese person who ate that shit and pretty much every single one of my friends hate the idea of this bush meat markets.
Most of the places that sell exotic meat are also not exactly fancy places.
I am also going to be quite surprised if this from pangolin, people don't get sick from eating the meet but form being in close proximity to sick animals, and no one is having pangolins in a public meat market in China.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
www.scmp.com

China bans trade, eating of wild animals in battle against coronavirus

Fast-tracked decision to prohibit consumption of wildlife comes into effect immediately.

On one hand this is a great move. On the other hand, 14+ million people soon to be out of jobs. I didn't realize this was a 74 billion dollar industry.

I just hope there isn't a workaround as in "ah we still allow for 'medicinal use' (read: quack medicine)", which would defeat its purpose.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope there isn't a workaround as in "ah we still allow for 'medicinal use' (read: quack medicine)", which would defeat its purpose.
I'm hoping that COVID-19 is a good reason to not do this again. I think Pooh is shaken with how the country has reacted and he definitely is feeling a bit pressured by the people.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
As Japan's countermeasure is lagging behind, doctors are reporting one silver lining that is they are seeing significantly less flu patients ever since COVID19 news spread. Many are conjecturing the reason to people freaked out and started wash hands carefully (and also shows how people are quite indifferent about washing hands in normal circumstance).

Definitely, especially that last bit. But that's how people are here in the media. Everything is noncritical and middle of the road no matter the topic. Japan's whole MO of "just wear a mask on the train" isn't enough. Theres been talk of washing hands and some places have gel dispensers at entrances but still, the amount of people who open mouth cough/sneeze here and rare cases of actual hand washing (in mens bathrooms at least) makes me a bit of a germaphobe at this point lol. Places like major stations and transport hubs still don't supply cleansing liquid or soap dispensers in bathrooms, which I know is because its shockingly expensive and hard to maintain, but still its time.

Mar 22, 2019
Ok did some research re. Tokyo trip in April and decided to wait it out. Thanks to everyone who commented/advice - this thing is moving so fast its silly to panic too much and life is life - worst case the airline and hotel cancel in which case obliged for full refund...better that than cancelling and it getting messy.

TL:dr Wash your hands everyone!