• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Just spitballing here, but 2% of the population isn't going to die even in the worst case.

If the news keeps getting worse and worse, people will isolate themselves and the spread will stop.

Are you self sufficient? Do you have access to fresh water and can you regrow your food?
If no, then how the hell do you isolate 7 billion people and supply them with food and water?
You can only isolate an outbreak if you have people supplying and caring for the diseased.

All those people in Wuhan who are sitting in their apartments for weeks and are getting cabin fever... how long do you think you can contain them? Those 0,00006% infection rates will rise astronomically if people are breaking containment because they are holed up in their apartment for weeks and months.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
He's worried about the outbreak, so he's instructing his goons to........... do nothing to prevent US spread.

Sounds about Trump.
Does the US have any actual travel restrictions from anywhere yet? I know there are a few "if you visited X then self-quarantine after you come back"s. I'm obviously in no position to claim if they're needed or not, but, like, that doesn't sound like doing much.

Also screenshot that tweet about it being under control and the entire internet should feel free to post it each time a new case is reported here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Does the US have any actual travel restrictions from anywhere yet? I know there are a few "if you visited X then self-quarantine after you come back"s. I'm obviously in no position to claim if they're needed or not, but, like, that doesn't sound like doing much.

Also screenshot that tweet about it being under control and the entire internet should feel free to post it each time a new case is reported here.
Yeah, China.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
All those people in Wuhan who are sitting in their apartments for weeks and are getting cabin fever... how long do you think you can contain them? Those 0,00006% infection rates will rise astronomically if people are breaking containment because they are holed up in their apartment for weeks and months.

According to data, the virus pretty much spread unchecked in Wuhan from early December to around Jan 20, and it still managed to "only" infect a very small portion of the city's 12 million inhabitants.
If it becomes a seasonal thing like the flu, sure, it will eventually infect a large portion of the world's population, but 70% seems like a very unlikely number (that's 5 billion people btw).

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Don't think so but it seems like most, if not all, US airlines have suspended service to/from China.

Also South Korea has moved to LEVEL 3 WARNING: Avoid all nonessential travel by the CDC. Italy, Iran, Japan still at level 2. HK still at level 1.
wwwnc.cdc.gov

COVID-19 and Travel

CDC travel recommendations during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is China's approach to quarantining even humane? How many people are going to end up with PTSD or even dying after being forced to stay at their homes for weeks straight?

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Don't think so but it seems like most, if not all, US airlines have suspended service to/from China.

Also South Korea has moved to LEVEL 3 alert by the CDC. Italy, Iran, Japan still at level 2.
wwwnc.cdc.gov

COVID-19 and Travel

Nice catch. No one has reported on that yet, same as when Japan went to Level 2; it was first reported here, and then I saw it everywhere else.

Edit: It went back to Level 2.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

He allowed Americans who were still infected from that cruise ship to fly back on the same plane as uninfected people. Trump wants to pretend there's an alternate reality where the virus is zapped once you cross the U.S. border.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Is China's approach to quarantining even humane? How many people are going to end up with PTSD or even dying after being forced to stay at their homes for weeks straight?
They aren't locked in prison. They're in their homes and allowed to leave to run errands.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
On a good Note, Numbers seem to have stabilised today in Italy. It basically remained at about 200 since Yesterday.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Nice catch. No one has reported on that yet, same as when Japan went to Level 2; it was first reported here, and then I saw it everywhere else.

Sy6JH3n.png
Yeah I only noticed because I went to the CDC travel notices website to try to answer his question. That was right at the top of the page.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Throughout this entire thing, I have not heard once of any progress on a vaccine.
IIRC, there are 2-3 prospects, but they have to go through animal testing, then human testing, then mass production. So even if they had a breakthrough and found one right as I'm typing this, it'll still be something like 9-12 months at the absolute soonest :\

Mayyhem

Mar 5, 2018
I have a trip to Japan planned from March 23 - April 4 and it was a trip of a lifetime for me. I'm paranoid and it's hard to even look forward to it anymore. Who knows what will happen before then... sigh.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I have a Japan trip booked for late April/early May, at the start of this whole ordeal I wasn't worried, but this doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon. Should I still be fine?

I guess at the end of the day this is still just a flu type thing, and a young healthy person isn't going to be dying from it anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey

Also South Korea has moved to LEVEL 3 WARNING: Avoid all nonessential travel by the CDC. Italy, Iran, Japan still at level 2. HK still at level 1.
wwwnc.cdc.gov

COVID-19 and Travel

How long until Japan becomes level 3? I'm suppose to go in March but it doesn't look good.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Goes to show what interests Trump the most. Stock market is so overrated, it was better when only speculants were talking about it. It's a disaster that this shit has to be brought up every tweet. "But muh stock market". So absurd this world. I want to go back. No one would've cared about it.

I mean the real reason that people care about the stock market right now is that it's the only thing that's shown signs of improvement over the massive economic downturn back in '08, at least in the US.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I have a trip to Japan planned from March 23 - April 4 and it was a trip of a lifetime for me. I'm paranoid and it's hard to even look forward to it anymore. Who knows what will happen before then... sigh.
I have a Japan trip booked for late April/early May, at the start of this whole ordeal I wasn't worried, but this doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon. Should I still be fine?

I guess at the end of the day this is still just a flu type thing, and a young healthy person isn't going to be dying from it anyway.
You can still carry it and spread it to others even if it doesn't knock you over

End of March is still over a month away, late April/Early May is even further. Just keep an eye on things. As we've seen over the past week, shit can change fast, who knows where we'll be at in a month or two.

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone have any idea how long these CDC travel warnings typically last? At least from previous outbreaks?

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
40 to 70 percent of the population of the entire planet, with a 2-3 percent mortality rate, let's go with 2.5%...

If no one develops immunities, in a single year it's roughly equal to the casualties of World War 1 and 2 combined. That's absurdly catastrophic.

How in the fuck? That can't be right. Someone please correct this.
Again, it's hard to trust the 2-3% mortality numbers since the numbers infected coming out of China are questionable at best. On top of that, there are variables in China that may or may not be found in other parts of the world (lots of smokers, poor air quality, overwhelmed healthcare system, hygiene habits, etc).

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe I've been spending a little too much time on Reddit, but I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to start prepping in case this thing blows up. Stocking up on a couple months supply of food, water, toilet paper, and other basic necessities in case of a quarantine like situation where either the supply chain is unreliable or we have to stay home for a while. Anyone else doing this so I don't feel quite as crazy?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Ignoring staff post with regard to low-effort comments and fearmongering
B5-lDJWCUAAwfya

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
The CFR in should be less than 1% when you look at the numbers outside of China / Iran.
This is probably going to be Swine Flu 2.0

1% would still be way higher then swine flu.... for those who don't know, the mortality rate for swine flu is 0.02%. Anything coming even slightly close to 1% mortality rate or higher is going to be devastating at a global pandemic scale.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Focus on this:

2230123_1580786960129.png

From previous threads, this is something that Era really struggles with unfortunately.

Also avoid touching your face.

As Japan's countermeasure is lagging behind, doctors are reporting one silver lining that is they are seeing significantly less flu patients ever since COVID19 news spread. Many are conjecturing the reason to people freaked out and started wash hands carefully (and also shows how people are quite indifferent about washing hands in normal circumstance).

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Maybe I've been spending a littke too much time on Reddit, but I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to start prepping in case this thing blows up. Stocking up on a couple months supply of food, water, toilet paper, and other basic necessities in case of a quarantine like situation where either the supply chain is unreliable or we have to stay home for a while. Anyone else doing this so I don't feel quite as crazy?
Reddit is a mess. However, having enough food and other supplies at home in case of supply chain disruption is a good idea in general. Be responsible about it though and try to slowly build some reserves.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
1% would still be way higher then swine flu.... for those who don't know, the mortality rate for swine flu is 0.02%. Anything coming even slightly close to 1% mortality rate or higher is going to be devastating at a global pandemic scale.

The age brackets at risk are substantially different from the swine flu (which killed a lot of people in their prime, and teenagers as well as the usual vulnerable groups), this has around 0.2-0.4 CFR under the age of 50, as far as we know.
That last part is important, because if this thing really has a mild or even asymptomatic progress in the vast majority of people, as experts seem to think, the real CFR might be much lower.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I've been spending a little too much time on Reddit, but I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to start prepping in case this thing blows up. Stocking up on a couple months supply of food, water, toilet paper, and other basic necessities in case of a quarantine like situation where either the supply chain is unreliable or we have to stay home for a while. Anyone else doing this so I don't feel quite as crazy?
I dunno about a couple months worth of food, but nah as others have said in the last thread, having a couple weeks' worth of food at any given time isn't a bad idea. Reality of life is anything could happen at any time, massive storm, earthquake, tornado, etc especially if you're located in an area likely to be affected by one of those types of natural disasters. I live in LA and a ton of people I know have earthquake kits, for example.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Maybe I've been spending a littke too much time on Reddit, but I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to start prepping in case this thing blows up. Stocking up on a couple months supply of food, water, toilet paper, and other basic necessities in case of a quarantine like situation where either the supply chain is unreliable or we have to stay home for a while. Anyone else doing this so I don't feel quite as crazy?
I've already stocked up on water months ago and some emergency food last week. Even if I don't use it, as long as I'm in Japan, I will always need it in case a huge earthquake comes.

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
www.scmp.com

China bans trade, eating of wild animals in battle against coronavirus

Fast-tracked decision to prohibit consumption of wildlife comes into effect immediately.

On one hand this is a great move. On the other hand, 14+ million people soon to be out of jobs. I didn't realize this was a 74 billion dollar industry.
Can China actually stop this from happening or will trade continue in a gray market that does not officially state the origin of the animals.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

2 weeks of non-perishables sounds reasonable. 2 months might be a bit overkill. Just try to prepare responsibly in any way that makes you feel comfortable. Take some breaks from Reddit, the news, this thread, etc. if you notice you're starting to feel anxious.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
That South Korea CDC page has apparently gone back to Level 2. Maybe they posted it early / were testing the content in anticipation of moving it to level 3?