• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
But everyone can make the decision themselves. Here is the old 6 Phase document: https://www.who.int/influenza/resources/documents/pandemic_phase_descriptions_and_actions.pdf

xLMLoTO.png

What is phase 6?
Phase 6 is a pandemic, according to the WHO definition.

So according to this... COVID19 is now in a Pandemic Phase

... see now that wasn't so hard

data

Oct 25, 2017
But everyone can make the decision themselves. Here is the old 6 Phase document: https://www.who.int/influenza/resources/documents/pandemic_phase_descriptions_and_actions.pdf

xLMLoTO.png

What is phase 6?

At which phase are we? What would you say? Sustained community level outbreak in 3 or more countries at Phase 6. Well, I would say we are beyond that. (personal opinion of course). Please correct me if I read this wrong.
I agree. I think we're in a pandemic now considering Iran and Italy.

I don't get why they won't use the old definition. I think this case has already been more of a pandemic than the H1N1 and definitely more infectious considering the incubation period.

If anything, by letting us define it, I don't doubt several media outlets will jump at the opportunity to call it a pandemic right off the bat.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

xLMLoTO.png

What is phase 6?

At which phase are we? What would you say? Sustained community level outbreak in 3 or more countries at Phase 6. Well, I would say we are beyond that. (personal opinion of course). Please correct me if I read this wrong.
Yes we are 100% in the sixth fase.
We've had huge outbreaks at least in China, Korea and Italy. Iirc Japan also had a small one if we don't count the ship. And most likely Iran is completely fucked.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
So according to this... COVID19 is now in a Pandemic Phase

... see now that wasn't so hard

The problem is, what does COVID19 being a pandemic (which, it obviously is) mean for mitigation efforts? If the WHO and other, more local disease control institutions are going to provide the same amount of effort in mitigation, the official designation is rather vapid and can lead to more unnecessary panic.

This may be a case where the colloquial usage of 'pandemic' has rendered the designation more risky than not, you can see the effect even in this thread with people waiting with fevered excitement for the official designation so that they ran ratchet up the fearmongering based on "official" language.

Nah, call it a global health emergency and keep shoring up countries with poor health infrastructure and stop worrying about out of date phase categories.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, what does COVID19 being a pandemic (which, it obviously is) mean for mitigation efforts? If the WHO and other, more local disease control institutions are going to provide the same amount of effort in mitigation, the official designation is rather vapid and can lead to more unnecessary panic.

This may be a case where the colloquial usage of 'pandemic' has rendered the designation more risky than not, you can see the effect even in this thread with people waiting with fevered excitement for the official designation so that they ran ratchet up the fearmongering based on "official" language.

Nah, call it a global health emergency and keep shoring up countries with poor health infrastructure and stop worrying about out of date phase categories.
There is a delicate balance to strike to have people prepared and not have unnecessary panic. Otherwise people get a false sense of security and the when an Italy happens there is crazy panic.

data

Oct 25, 2017
There is a delicate balance to strike to have people prepared and not have unnecessary panic. Otherwise people get a false sense of security and the when an Italy happens there is crazy panic.
But does announcing it as a pandemic change the situation? What can we do more that were not already doing?

As an epidemic,countries are rallying their resources to fight it if in the country and preparing for it if it hasn't shown yet.

As a pandemic, how does the response change? Are we not already shoring up resources?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

The categorization is meaningless if the response and support is the same. Being upset that they aren't using the term "pandemic" is ridiculous.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Not only there is the possibity that a colleague (with whom I share lunches) has got in contact with positive cases (and at that point, I would be in alert too for the following days/weeks), but now my grandmother is hospitalized because they found a mass in the stomach, a cancer with almost no doubt according to the doctors... Damn when something starts to be bad, bad things pile up one on the other.. Sorry to everyone if I am venting a bit here...

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

I'm going to go with this.

It doesn't matter if we call it a pandemic or not, WHO has already classified it as a "global health emergency" which is already crystal clear. Everyone around the world should be aware, informed, and prepared for the virus outbreak.

Naru

May 11, 2019
The categorization is meaningless if the response and support is the same. Being upset that they aren't using the term "pandemic" is ridiculous.
True but declaring it a pandemic by the WHO would probably kick in some different and more drastically responses that would prepare for the worst. The WHO guideline for Phase 6 (the pandemic) says "Implement individual societal and pharmaceutical measures as well as contingency plans for health systems at all levels". Not sure if this is already happening or not.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Does anyone know the exact time Japan updates their numbers? I wanna keep up to date with this, but I need to take a break from the actual discussion for awhile.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
True but declaring it a pandemic by the WHO would probably kick in some different and more drastically responses that would prepare for the worst. The WHO guideline for Phase 6 (the pandemic) says "Implement individual societal and pharmaceutical measures as well as contingency plans for health systems at all levels". Not sure if this is already happening or not.

All of that will be done regardless of the buzzword. The term is poison and pointless imo. Too many movies and tv shows use it now and it has an end of days connotation. The average person doesn't understand what the term actually means or the nuance. Dropping the term is a very good decision. As for the response and support nothing will change. Everyone that matters is treating this very seriously and the terminology won't change that.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
But does announcing it as a pandemic change the situation? What can we do more that were not already doing?

As an epidemic,countries are rallying their resources to fight it if in the country and preparing for it if it hasn't shown yet.

As a pandemic, how does the response change? Are we not already shoring up resources?
I mean countries clearly are NOT treating it like a pandemic so I don't know why the assumption is that the handling wouldn't change at all. People are too focused on China and we should be screening pneumonia patients worldwide.

bottom line we shouldn't be afraid of people being afraid. We should focus on education and preparing in case it continues to spread so people are not so shell shocked when it does come to an area

Last edited:

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Not only there is the possibity that a colleague (with whom I share lunches) has got in contact with positive cases (and at that point, I would be in alert too for the following days/weeks), but now my grandmother is hospitalized because they found a mass in the stomach, a cancer with almost no doubt according to the doctors... Damn when something starts to be bad, bad things pile up one on the other.. Sorry to everyone if I am venting a bit here...
I'm sorry man. Hope you and your family will be okay. I live in Macerata and I work as a journalist, we don't know if and when the virus will arrive here, but we're still scared.

Quando sarà tutto finito e passi per le Marche ti offro un po' di vernaccia e ciauscolo 😁

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
All of that will be done regardless of the buzzword. The term is poison and pointless imo. Too many movies and tv shows use it now and it has an end of days connotation. The average person doesn't understand what the term actually means or the nuance. Dropping the term is a very good decision. As for the response and support nothing will change. Everyone that matters is treating this very seriously and the terminology won't change that.

100% agree, and again the clarity of their decision is proved out by the response to the decision. In the end, the same level of resource output is going to be achieved without connotations to apocalyptic popular media. A very good move on their part.

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
I am at a hospital right now, at a city in Europe without any reported cases yet.
I am here for my mother, and during the night while i was sitting next to her, a doctor came in and warned us not to leave the room because there is a suspicious case some rooms next to us.
A girl came from Milano with severe cough and chest pain.

That was surreal....
Anyway, her tests came up negative but i overheard the doctors say that even though they had prepared a plan for the patient to be brought into the hospital from a backdoor, the medics did not follow it and brought here through the main gate and she came in contact with other people....
Furthermore, they did not bring her husband in, who was with her all the time. They let him stay with the other visitors...

A doctor said that they should be thankful the tests came negative because they would be on every news channel on the world for this fuck up.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Holy hell! Things really blew up in SK. Seems like they are going to go above 1000 confirmed cases tomorrow or day after tomorrow. All thanks to one religious cult.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020

wwwnc.cdc.gov

Potential Presymptomatic Transmission of SARS-CoV-2, Zhejiang Province, China, 2020

Potential Presymptomatic Transmission of SARS-CoV-2, Zhejiang Province, China, 2020

Our findings are subject to several limitations. The investigators conducted a telephone interview with the index patient (person W), who might have not recalled the full extent of his symptoms 14 days prior. Similarly, asymptomatic persons might have failed to report mild or subclinical symptoms. We cannot rule out other SARS-CoV-2 exposures to persons A and D in addition to their dinner and conference attendance with person W. Furthermore, we did not conduct convalescent serologic testing to provide additional evidence of the asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections.

I honestly don't think we should be posting every pre-release study about COVID19, it spreads misinformation more than anything.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
This outbreak in Italy is very concerning as me and my family were going to be moving there in a few months. Thankfully, it does seem relatively contained to the northern regions and we were going to be moving to the south, but still, who knows how much it may have spread by the time we are supposed to get there. Are there any estimates on how long authorities expect this outbreak to last?

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Looks like that, at the moment, the italian victims are 6 and not 7.

www.ansa.it

Coronavirus: sette le vittime, crescono ancora i contagiati - Salute & Benessere

Deceduti anche un uomo di 84 anni ricoverato a Bergamo, un altro di 88 anni del Lodigiano, un ottantenne di Castiglione d'Adda. Un altoatesino contagiato, è stato in Lombardia. Conte: gestione di un ospedale fuori dal protocollo, pronti a contrarre i poteri delle regioni. Fontana: offensivo...

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
This outbreak in Italy is very concerning as me and my family were going to be moving there in a few months. Thankfully, it does seem relatively contained to the northern regions and we were going to be moving to the south, but still, who knows how much it may have spread by the time we are supposed to get there. Are there any estimates on how long authorities expect this outbreak to last?

In my uninformed opinion, look to China for relative terms. If you and your family are moving in 3 months, the outbreak may well be on the downswing by then.

Bishop76

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like that, at the moment, the italian victims are 6 and not 7.

www.ansa.it

Coronavirus: sette le vittime, crescono ancora i contagiati - Salute & Benessere

Deceduti anche un uomo di 84 anni ricoverato a Bergamo, un altro di 88 anni del Lodigiano, un ottantenne di Castiglione d'Adda. Un altoatesino contagiato, è stato in Lombardia. Conte: gestione di un ospedale fuori dal protocollo, pronti a contrarre i poteri delle regioni. Fontana: offensivo...

yes:
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231956485678288901?s=20

The woman from Crema reported this morning apparently is still alive:

https://twitter.com/Agenzia_Ansa/status/1231954062389710849?s=20

So the death toll in Italy is 6 right now.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Not Corona related, but I overheard a colleague talking to another about 10 feet from me this morning. She says "I went to the Minute Clinic on Friday and tested positive for the flu. They gave me Tamiflu and I felt great the very next day!"

Stay home a few more days idiot.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

WHO covid19 mission chief press conference in Beijing (thread).

also this -

General good info in that account.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm sorry man. Hope you and your family will be okay. I live in Macerata and I work as a journalist, we don't know if and when the virus will arrive here, but we're still scared.

Quando sarà tutto finito e passi per le Marche ti offro un po' di vernaccia e ciauscolo 😁
Thank you! I hope that at least it will be confined to Northern Italy. I came to Ancona in the first week of February for a big conference (beautiful city, even though it was so windy those days), we were more than 500 (at least, people who paid to be there, maybe some didn't go) and many from North, but since it was early February I suppose (and hope) no one brought over the virus to your region.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Grandfather died this morning (not of coronavirus for those who haven't read the first post), I'm not even there right now, I was visiting my boyfriend in central Italy when everything went down: grandpa worsened, virus outbreak. We'll have a small funeral wednesday with just close family members, that's the best we can do considering the situation. So tomorrow I'll be driving four hours alone towards corona-virus infested northern Italy to bury my grandfather. That's eery. At least there won't be much traffic I guess? I wanted to drive home today but I wasn't in the mental condition to do it honestly, I was panicking just trying to pack things. This is mostly about the loss in my family and being away from my parents this moment than the virus itself, even if It doesn't help.

I'm almost OT so I'll stop there. TLDR: Life sucks.
So sorry for your loss. :(

God fucking damnit, Amuse decided to hold Perfume live at Tokyo Dome in the next two days. 45000 people in a enclosed space spilling sweats and cheering. God knows what bad things could happen.

As a Hong Konger who lives in Tokyo, I am really scared by the lack of awareness towards coronavirus among Japanese. I know these people did not know how scary SARS was 17 years ago, but many of them really have no clue on what's going on.
I am so fucking sick of Japan not taking this seriously. If those medical workers were in SK or Italy they would be tested.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Thank you! I hope that at least it will be confined to Northern Italy. I came to Ancona in the first week of February for a big conference (beautiful city, even though it was so windy those days), we were more than 500 (at least, people who paid to be there, maybe some didn't go) and many from North, but since it was early February I suppose (and hope) no one brought over the virus to your region.
Yeah, well, we have big universities here in Macerata, Ancona and Urbino so there are many ways to make the virus come here. The good news is that the cases emerging now after the period of incubation are limited to certain areas. But we'll have a better view in this regard in the next week, I guess.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Mesa did the exact same thing, minus the Trump pandering

NIMBYism in fine display

The Costa Mesa facility was a ridiculously horrible choice for this purpose, it was mind boggling to those of us who live near it. It isn't even a true medical facility, it is an old, all but abandoned and unfurnished psychiatric care residence. It was recently deemed by the state as too dilapidated to serve as an emergency homeless shelter. Made no sense to transfer COVID-19 patients there "within days."

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.scmp.com

Coronavirus: leading Korean health official is member of church at epicentre

The official in charge of fighting the virus in western Daegu admitted belonging to the controversial sect only after testing positive for the virus. Fifty coworkers have been quarantined.
The official, who was in charge of the district's fight against the virus, identified himself as belonging to the cult after he tested positive for the virus, said Daegu City Mayor Kwon Young-jin.
The news came as a police officer in Daegu diagnosed with the virus subsequently revealed himself to be a member of the cult, too, as did a female teacher at a children's cram school in Gumi City, near Daegu.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
The Costa Mesa facility was a ridiculously horrible choice for this purpose, it was mind boggling to those of us who live near it. It isn't even a true medical facility, it is an old, all but abandoned and unfurnished psychiatric care residence. It was recently deemed by the state as too dilapidated to serve as an emergency homeless shelter. Made no sense to transfer COVID-19 patients there "within days."
That worries me because the short notices mean they are desperate to find a place to isolate those patients ASAP. How has the person who overrode the CDC recommendations wrt evacuating the positive cruise ship passengers on the same plane as presumptively negative passengers not been fired yet?

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So sorry for your loss. :(

I am so fucking sick of Japan not taking this seriously. If those medical workers were in SK or Italy they would be tested.

I think people are overreacting, and honestly is quite shameful, what happen to they are heroes? now they are plague carriers?

They have gone in with protective gear and if there is no containment break i don't see why they should be tested. I don't think for example in Singapore they are testing health worker working with quarantine patients, unless needed.

And how the hell it should be executed?
One time test? They will be probably the one that work daily with COVID patients you plan to test them each day?

Do you plan to test all the nurses and doctor that have contact with COVID patients? If number go up like this they will be soon undercapacity for the test, they should concentrate to find who is more likely to have it.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are overreacting, and honestly is quite shameful, what happen to they are heroes? now they are plague carriers?

They have gone in with protective gear and if there is no containment break i don't see why they should be tested. I don't think for example in Singapore they are testing health worker working with quarantine patients, unless needed.

And how the hell it should be executed?
One time test? if there was a risk they work daily with COVID patients probably you plan to test them each day?

Do you plan to test all the nurses and doctor that have contact with COVID patients?
The medical workers are heroes. The people deciding not to test them are in the wrong.

The Diamond Princess has a VERY HIGH rate of infection. They should be tested. Yes, they should test nurses and doctors who have contact with COVID patients on a semi-regular basis. Not daily, but at least once every 1-2 weeks or if they show symptoms.

You read my post and decided to bring it to the highest level of hyperbole you could in bad faith.