• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
Singapore seems to have it under control now which is encouraging.

People here are going about their lives - but everyone is still remaining vigilant. Is still remains a very delicate situation. All it needs is one irresponsible superspreader to screw up everything - as was what happened with Korea

Mar 3, 2019

CCP is still trash I see, politics and party unity over national health concerns and general welfare of China. Also an obligatory fuck you to the WHO, who continue to praise the CCP in all that it does, regardless of facts on the ground or their use of authoritarian force to enforce misinformation. They still wont let Taiwan have a seat at the table of information so as not to offend the CCP.

Last edited:

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I wonder how stupid you'd have to be to believe this, considering the number of cases in Washington state and the number of cases in Wuhan.

(So I guess the Chinese equivalent of MAGA will guzzle it down.)
This type of 'the virus originated in the US from US gov and was planted' type of conspiracy bs is all over WeChat atm from semi-party affiliated outlets. Hmm, where did we last see this 'blame the US for CN-origin instability' before? Same party, same shit. As an American in Shanghai, it's more frightening to see people you know sharing this stuff on their moments eating it up more-so then the threat the actual virus will directly pose to me.

But god forbid people in Wuhan be allowed share their own experiences on WeChat without getting a visit from the police.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Events like the Coronavirus really show how society teeters on a razors edge between complete calm and mass hysteria.

You'd think this was a mass zombie outbreak. Outside of China, you probably have greater odds of getting into a fatal accident while going to the grocery store to stock up.

I'm just back from Hong Kong, which had cases whilst I was there and the day to day effect of things vs how some of it is portrayed in the media is funny. The high streets were still busy as were the restaurants etc, people were obviously very aware about hygiene and doing stuff like having hand sanitizer where handwashing was not available.

The great thing here is everyone was wearing masks but it did create an eerie feeling. My worry is in the west a lot of people would feel the need to wear masks would not be for them. And there would be less societal pressure to do so. Unlike in Asia.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Looks like the base across town might be the spot. I assume the military housing people will be the loudest on objections if anyone, there's basically a massive swath of empty land before the base and they're sort of within the base on the outskirts.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just back from Hong Kong, which had cases whilst I was there and the day to day effect of things vs how some of it is portrayed in the media is funny. The high streets were still busy as were the restaurants etc, people were obviously very aware about hygiene and doing stuff like having hand sanitizer where handwashing was not available.

The great thing here is everyone was wearing masks but it did create an eerie feeling. My worry is in the west a lot of people would feel the need to wear masks would not be for them. And there would be less societal pressure to do so. Unlike in Asia.

The problem with that is that people who are not sick should not wear masks anyway. They are running out of masks for medical staff.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at those maps, I am surprised that Central and South America have been ok, so far.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Scary to see how fast the number of cases has risen worldwide. Life here in Tokyo hasn't changed so much in the past few weeks. Supermarkets have enough supplies of everything except for masks and hand sanitizer. Anecdotally it seems a few more people are wearing masks than usual around this time of the year. Trains are still packed. Took a walk in Asakusa today, still plenty of tourists (it's a national holiday today). The daily news about new cases in Japan is also a bit scary.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Update on the situation in Alabama.

Feds backtrack on transfer of quarantined coronavirus patients to Alabama

Plans to move American coronavirus patients to an Alabama facility were canceled Sunday after local officials and residents expressed concerns.

Hours after Anniston County's City Council voted Sunday to pursue legal action against the federal government over its proposal to transfer patients from the Diamond Princess cruise ship to the town's FEMA facility for quarantine, U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby and Gov. Kay Ivey announced on Twitter that plans had changed.

Ivey said President Donald Trump called her and assured her that the patients who were aboard the Diamond Princess wouldn't be transferred to Alabama.

Although the federal government assured the Calhoun County Emergency Management Agency that the coronavirus patients would be isolated in the Anniston FEMA facility and that they would pose no threat to residents, local officials said they were concerned and upset they weren't given more notice.
www.abcnews.go.com/Health/feds-backtrack-transfer-quarantined-coronavirus-patients-alabama/story?id=69162771

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
A colleague of mine sometimes (i.e., once every 10 days) go to the main branch of the company where a positive case has been found in the near local branch. Main and local branches have been both closed now, to find out how many positive people are. I think I should be a bit careful about.. At this point the probability that I must be checked are not non-existent.

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Our Italian consultant has to stay in Italy because his region is under quarantine.
WTF

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Scary to see how fast the number of cases has risen worldwide. Life here in Tokyo hasn't changed so much in the past few weeks. Supermarkets have enough supplies of everything except for masks and hand sanitizer. Anecdotally it seems a few more people are wearing masks than usual around this time of the year. Trains are still packed. Took a walk in Asakusa today, still plenty of tourists (it's a national holiday today). The daily news about new cases in Japan is also a bit scary.

What line do you generally use? I am finding Tozai to be a little less pack than normal.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I know

but like, it's 2020, we aren't supposed to have such massive outbreaks of new unknown diseases.
How could we avoid outbreaks at priori of new unknown diseases?
Quarantine is the only solution to try to limit the damages.
If people will teel me to stay in quarantine (possibilities are rising now), I will stay, because everyone must collaborate in this moment, thinking both about himself and all the others.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How could we avoid outbreaks at priori of new unknown diseases?
Quarantine is the only solution to try to limit the damages.
If people will teel me to stay in quarantine (possibilities are rising now), I will stay, because everyone must collaborate in this moment, thinking both about himself and all the others.
Juts to be clear, I understand what needs to happen to containt the outbreak and so on, it just baffles me that with all the advances in medicine, science, healthcare and so on, such an outbreak is still possible nowadays.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Juts to be clear, I understand what needs to happen to containt the outbreak and so on, it just baffles me that with all the advances in medicine, science, healthcare and so on, such an outbreak is still possible nowadays.
Coronavirus can be spread by asymptomatic people, that is a real problem. Consequently, when you find the first positive case in a country, it is just the tip of the icerberg. Who knows how many other positive cases are present, in the meantime?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Not before seen variant of an virus that is highly infectious while we have no real grasp on how it works and spreads? Yeah, it will be going to places.

Developing things like vaccine takes time so it's safe for people.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
Afghanistan's minister of public health said on Monday the country had identified its first case of coronavirus.

Ferozuddin Feroz, the minister of public health, told a press conference in Kabul one of three suspected cases had been confirmed in the Western province of Herat.

He announced a state of emergency in the province, which borders Iran where dozens of cases of the disease have been confirmed and eight people have died.

www.reuters.com

Afghanistan identifies first confirmed coronavirus patient - health minister

Afghanistan's minister of public health said on Monday the country had identified its first case of coronavirus.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Your consultant is being quarantined for the good of people around him, and possibly his country and the whole world.

This sounds harsh, but deal with it, because there are people out there who are far more unfortunate than not being able to meet their consultant because of this virus.
I don't care about him being quarantined, I'd rather know he's safe.

I just think this whole situation is crazy, I never thought we'd get such an outbreak.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
www.reuters.com

Afghanistan identifies first confirmed coronavirus patient - health minister

Afghanistan is literally one of the worst places for this disease to spread. Hopefully it can be contained early there because so many people are going to suffer due to the lack of infrastructure and care.

I truly wonder what the real number of cases in Iran is because obviously there is no way the current case count is accurate. The fact that many foreigners flying in and out of Iran are catching it makes me think that Iran could have the second highest case count after China.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Coronavirus can be spread by asymptomatic people, that is a real problem. Consequently, when you find the first positive case in a country, it is just the tip of the icerberg. Who knows how many other positive cases are present, in the meantime?

At the risk of this coming off as nitpicking, its not actually at all confirmed that COVID can spread asymptomatically. That one Chinese study is a case of a literal n=1 and has a lot of possible confounders (like the family getting infected by another, unknown source)

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Yup I think it is still reasonable to stock up on some food if you are expecting your city to be shut down or have some kind of restrictions. And not to over buy.

We had a buying frenzy here in Singapore a few weeks ago after the alert status was raised. Some how people went crazy and some people got trolleys worth of food. Supermarkets were emptied out of instant noodle, rice, toilet paper and even condoms. It was crazy. There were people buying 20 kg worth of rice. And an online retailer said they received their biggest order in history, an order that was over 800 kg. It was crazy.
Today there are photos of people in Italy bringing trolleys to the grocery store to fill them up as well which is mind blowing to me. And from what I see this behaviour spans all generations, from boomers to millenials, to generation Z.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
Now that's a terrible situation. Don't even know what I would do personally. Seems like it might be prudent to not have a big funeral right now, and perhaps do a big celebration of life event when this thing is gone?

Grandfather died this morning (not of coronavirus for those who haven't read the first post), I'm not even there right now, I was visiting my boyfriend in central Italy when everything went down: grandpa worsened, virus outbreak. We'll have a small funeral wednesday with just close family members, that's the best we can do considering the situation. So tomorrow I'll be driving four hours alone towards corona-virus infested northern Italy to bury my grandfather. That's eery. At least there won't be much traffic I guess? I wanted to drive home today but I wasn't in the mental condition to do it honestly, I was panicking just trying to pack things. This is mostly about the loss in my family and being away from my parents this moment than the virus itself, even if It doesn't help.

I'm almost OT so I'll stop there. TLDR: Life sucks.

moving

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo

Also found nothing has changed. Just the huge queues to buy masks/hand sanitiser are about the only change I've noticed. Saw an insane queue at a pharmacy in Nicotama the other day.

My Japanese friend also commented how he finds it odd there doesn't seem to be much worry. Maybe a good thing?

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Grandfather died this morning (not of coronavirus for those who haven't read the first post), I'm not even there right now, I was visiting my boyfriend in central Italy when everything went down: grandpa worsened, virus outbreak. We'll have a small funeral wednesday with just close family members, that's the best we can do considering the situation. So tomorrow I'll be driving four hours alone towards corona-virus infested northern Italy to bury my grandfather. That's eery. At least there won't be much traffic I guess? I wanted to drive home today but I wasn't in the mental condition to do it honestly, I was panicking just trying to pack things. This is mostly about the loss in my family and being away from my parents this moment than the virus itself, even if It doesn't help.

sorry that your grandfather passed away.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

I'm very sorry for your loss in this very stressful time.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017

I am so sorry for your loss, my sincere condolences. I read your first post and that is quite a bad situation to be in.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder if they started to examine young kids and babies more because to my knowledge there are hardly any kids under 10 years who got infected by now.
which is odd since i.e. "common" influenza viruses severly attack younger folks (and older ones) as their immune system isn't that potent.
There must be reason for that.

All Italy should get a lockdown to actually reduce the spread, since the virus has certainly already spread all over the country at this point. We aren't anticiping the corona behavior enough.

I (from austria) regulary travel to italy and back and your idea is not manageable. Italy is a huge country with 60 million citizens, a HUGE coastline with hundrets of ports and it's one of the biggest economic powers in the EU with massive daily tradings with it's neighbours (austria, switzerland etc).
A complete lockdown would bankrupt italy within weeks and drag it's trading partners into hell too.
You can't just close the borders. Tenthousands of trucks would be stuck immediatly.
Not to talk about the hundrets of "unofficial" border crossings throughout the country. You just can't check and control them all. Since borders are officialy gone in the EU it's even harder to manage.