• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Supermarkets don't have enough stock to have everyone come in at the same day and try to get food for two weeks.
You see it every time there is a hurricane coming to Florida.
It's just the nature of the business.

That's why everyone is talking about a healthy preparation of a week or two. If everyone would agree on a little bit of preparation, not everyone would stand in line the day shit hits the fang. Enough full supermarkets everywhere still and everything is getting restocked. I would buy stuff that is durable now to avoid lines and avoid empty markets. Most supermarkets are getting empty because this last minute thing happens way too often. Otherwise restocking would be faster.
Uh, yeah it does. Grocery stores aren't equipped for people to all stock up within a few days time.

Uh, no it doesn't. A few people that prepare accordingly everyday would scale best than everyone at the same time. That's why it's called preparation. Don't confuse preparation with everyone buying at the same time. That's not the meaning of it.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Uh, no it doesn't. A few people that prepare accordingly everyday would scale best than everyone at the same time. That's why it's called preparation. Don't confuse preparation with everyone buying at the same time. That's not the meaning of it.
lol A few people every day? What world do you live in? That isn't how any of this happens.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Trump spoke to the republican senator of the state and the republican governor, and told them he was canceling this proposed plan.

https://abc3340.com/news/local/sen-...a-coronavirus-quarantine-plan-will-not-happen

I just got off the phone with the President. He told me that his administration will not be sending any victims of the Coronavirus from the Diamond Princess cruise ship to Anniston, Alabama. Thank you, @POTUS, for working with us to ensure the safety of all Alabamians.

Looking for a blue state to dump them in?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Please put it into perspective. While you have given us unnecessary commentary regarding your travel plans ( that means you are currently probably in a safe area) to a current hotbed, others are living in those hotbeds/areas.

Was it really necessary to tell us that you had plans to go to Italy and that it sucks that you can't go because of current events? Yes we know it sucks, it sucks especially for people living there. But the situation is more serious than any travel plans.
I understand the severity of the situation. I'm sorry if my comment came off as if I didn't care.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
It seems almost certain with that many dead that more people would have contracted it. Either that or its medical care is shockingly sub-par compared to other countries.

It's the second one. Iran's sanctions has extracted a heavy, heavy toll on its public services including healthcare. Air quality is bad too and many,many many people smoke in the country. It can go real bad real fast for them. Which is partly why bordering nations are closing the borders with them.

Iran alone is in no position to deal with this without many passing away and even m ore being infected. Which is why it must ask the eu for help stat.

Here in Germany it was basically limited to the employees of one company, who had a co-worker from China come in for training. She became sick when she arrived back home and the company was alerted. So they shut down the company and tested the employees that got sick.

All of these cases were contained pretty quickly. If it's spreading in italy it won't be able to be contained to a group less than 50. Especially once commercial air travel starts tomorrow morning.

Been following the other closed thread for weeks so familiar with the details already.

People from first world countries and eu member states should be on alert, but that's about it. But thankfully both france and Germany have absolutely invaluable information on how to deal with the virus, but much much more importantly how to beat it. That info will be shared with many, many nations.

It's denial. For some people it takes for the threat to be literally right in front of their noses to even start considering it real.

Oh fucking please, its managed risk vs using the godamn facts out there. By using the facts as is, verified by agenda free global bodies, this strain of flu like virus is dangerous and serious, but does not warrant panic like some in this thread are displaying. We know the at risk groups, the fatality right is extremely, extremely low outside of china and very low inside of it. we know this fucking this dies easily with follwong best practice hygiene.

This coming from someone who had the bloody swine flu years ago. If anything THAT horrendous experience should have me locking myself and my family in for weeks whilst stocking up for months. But hey, despite living in an Corona virus affected country, me and everyone I know are taking sensible precautions. That's all that one needs to do.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol A few people every day? What world do you live in? That isn't how any of this happens.

Come on, not necessary. This isn't how any of this happens because preparation is always talked down upon, exactly like you do. And then all people standing at the same time because "uh huh, we should've". People never learn but are so genius, really.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Here comes round 2 of face masks and hand sanitizers selling out everywhere.
Funny enough. I was in a chinese grocery market in Markham (in GTA, for those not in Toronto) on saturday and they were giving out free hand sanitizer if you spent over a certain amount. =/

I'm still not overall worried about things (even after having the flu last month).

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Come on, not necessary. This isn't how any of this happens because preparation is always talked down upon, exactly like you do. And then all people standing at the same time because "uh huh, we should've". People never learn but are so genius, really.
How am I looking down on preparation? Prepping for a disaster or event is good. Reactionary prep is where issues lie. Reactionary prep is what clears out stores.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018

Italy here, pretty close to the affected areas. While my parents usually have stuff for 1-2 weeks in the fridge I tend to have stuff for max 2-3 days, that way I can strictly plan what I'm going to eat and I don't overindulge. That also allows me to buy more fresh products (meat mainly) instead of processed, longer-lasting and allegedly less-healthy options. Not stocking for a lot of days, in normal situations, also means less chance for food going bad/expired/wasted, which is another thing I dislike about my parents' approach as they have to throw away food they haven't eaten in time almost daily (mainly fruit).

The only thing I've done differently last time I went grocery shopping was buying more dry pasta (but not an enormous amount, 2Kg or so) and slightly more beverages than usual (tap water is drinkable in Italy by law, but the water you get in my area has a lot more limestone (I think that's the word) than in other places I've lived, so I tend to avoid drinking that if possible.

I would think that if you had to stock up for 2 weeks with no perishable goods, you'd probably want to overshoot a bit, but that still means about 2Kg of dry pasta + 1-2Kg of hard biscuits or canned food per person (which should last you 3 weeks easily). not entire shopping carts of stuff. From photos I've seen there's people that are probably buying 20Kg+ of food which is unecessary and selfish.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How am I looking down on preparation? Prepping for a disaster or event is good. Reactionary prep is where issues lie.

Then I don't get your issue. That's what I talk about all the time and supermarkets have sufficient amount of supply so that people can stock up for a week. Saying otherwise is wrong and would lead to empty supermarket after usual days lol.
Italy here, pretty close to the affected areas. While my parents usually have stuff for 1-2 weeks in the fridge I tend to have stuff for max 2-3 days, that way I can strictly plan what I'm going to eat and I don't overindulge. That also allows me to buy more fresh products (meat mainly) instead of processed, longer-lasting and allegedly less-healthy options. Not stocking for a lot of days, in normal situations, also means less chance for food going bad/expired/wasted, which is another thing I dislike about my parents' approach as they have to throw away food they haven't eaten in time almost daily (mainly fruit).

The only thing I've done differently last time I went grocery shopping was buying more dry pasta (but not an enormous amount, 2Kg or so) and slightly more beverages than usual (tap water is drinkable in Italy by law, but the water you get in my area has a lot more limestone (I think that's the word) than in other places I've lived, so I tend to avoid drinking that if possible.

I would think that if you had to stock up for 2 weeks with no perishable goods, you'd probably want to overshoot a bit, but that still means about 2Kg of dry pasta + 1-2Kg of hard biscuits or canned food per person (which should last you 3 weeks easily). not entire shopping carts of stuff. From photos I've seen there's people that are probably buying 20Kg+ of food which is unecessary and selfish.

Exactly. Well, stocking up on things that expire quick for 2 weeks is wrong anyway.
And 20kg is not "accordingly" and has nothing to do with a healthy preparation. No one here defended that kind of stuff. Still neglecting now is a wrong approach though. Supermarkets have supply so use it.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
My family always buys a week worth of groceries. I didn't know this wasnt common practice. Makes no sense to go to the store every day to pick up a pack of meat.
Read my post again. I said everyone stocking up over a few days. Most grocery stores are equipped for people to buy for a few days over the course of an entire week. Not have masses stock up on food over the course of a couple of days.

Anyway, I'm not saying people shouldn't stock up if they feel they should (and I think people should stay stocked and prepared). But it absolutely leads to stores running out of food when it's done en masse - which is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
My family always buys a week worth of groceries. I didn't know this wasnt common practice. Makes no sense to go to the store every day to pick up a pack of meat.
That's what we do and I believe that's the norm in the US. I think in other countries/cultures it's more common to do it more frequently.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The buying habits are very much influenced by the size of the house/flat and implicitly the storage space and the proximity of the supermarkets. Also if you go shopping by car or not.

I prefer going to the supermarket 2-3 times per week to get as much fresh food as possible. I'm buying in low quantities and usually don't throw away any food.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's why everyone is talking about a healthy preparation of a week or two. If everyone would agree on a little bit of preparation, not everyone would stand in line the day shit hits the fang. Enough full supermarkets everywhere still and everything is getting restocked. I would buy stuff that is durable now to avoid lines and avoid empty markets. Most supermarkets are getting empty because this last minute thing happens way too often. Otherwise restocking would be faster.

Those empty supermarket shelves don't look like healthy perpetration for me, neither is the fact that you can't really buy hand sanitizers and face masks around here.
I am specifically talking about shit that is causing people to do that, there is obviously nothing wrong with just having supplies in your house.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think people are too much focused on the mortality rate which is undeniably low. People simply don't want to get affected, because if you do, you'll get really sick even though it won't kill you. You may also get pneumonia, and might be bed-ridden for weeks (or worse, get quarantined) which is suck. The virus is very infectious and contagious, which makes it terrifying and pretty hard to contain.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are too much focused on the mortality rate which is undeniably low. People simply don't want to get affected, because if you do, you'll get really sick even though it won't kill you. You may also get pneumonia, and might be bed-ridden for weeks (or worse, get quarantined) which is suck. The virus is very infectious and contagious, which makes it terrifying and pretty hard to contain.
Yeah my main worry is spreading it to others who are frailer without even knowing I have it or something considering that it appears that many people have been asymptomatic and have still infected others.

I get sinus infections easily but I'm not so sure that would apply as a risky preexisting condition for a respiratory, lung-based illness.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Did China announce any new cases today?

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Then I don't get your issue. That's what I talk about all the time and supermarkets have sufficient amount of supply so that people can stock up for a week. Saying otherwise is wrong and would lead to empty supermarket after usual days lo

Panic preparations are going to happen anywhere this virus hits and starts to take off, so it is much better to have some people stocking up on non-perishables while there's food and resources rather than when you have hundreds of thousands emptying super markets overnight. THAT's a real issue, not when you have a bunch of forum posters choosing to prepare ahead of time.

Plus, if the virus doesn't ever hit your city or your country, by the time this whole thing settles (which will happen, as it's been the case with every other pandemic in human history), you'll just have enough food to skip a bunch of visits to the store.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I usually have about a month worth of food in the freezer (meals I've cooked in large batches and frozen). Not because I'm some sort of prepper nutjob, but because I eat very specific meals for fitness reasons.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question. How is being worried about something like that fear-mongering?

There's being worried, and then there's saying that you've signed your "death warrant" by booking trips domestically in the US, where there are 14 total cases currently. It also doesn't look great when the two states he's traveling to don't have any official cases of COVID-19, but do happen to have the highest proportions of Asian Americans in the country. Makes one kind of wonder where the worry is coming from, exactly.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
"Simulation research has shown that such virus-laden plumes can travel up to 200 meters, infecting people."

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.koreaherald.com

S. Korea's virus cases soar to 763, containment of more outbreaks in Daegu in focus

South Korea reported another record spike in the number of new coronavirus cases on Monday, with most new cases centered in the southwestern city of Daegu, where health authorities are shifting the focus of the anti-virus fight to containing its further spread. The 161 additional cases of the...
9 medical staff got infected
Frontline workers got infected.
Not good

Did China announce any new cases today?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Simulation research has shown that such virus-laden plumes can travel up to 200 meters, infecting people."

What is this source?
They're basing that assertion on a study from 2014 that they don't link. And I knida doubt that this is someone who figured out something the WHO and the CDC have somehow missed.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

"This article is an out-of-the-box think piece, dated Feb. 14, bolstered by historical evidence and some commonsense reasoning. It is not a refereed research paper and most of the ideas should be viewed as hypotheses, requiring further testing and research."

This is a misleading post. Please check your sources better or be more clear about their nature.

What is this source?
They're basing that assertion on a study from 2014 that they don't link. And I knida doubt that this is someone who figured out something the WHO and the CDC have somehow missed.

The author is an academic specializing in operations research (essentially systems engineering), rather than medical science or public health. Doesn't mean he's full of shit, but but it does mean that the article is hypothesis.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
"B.C.'s Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) later said that female passenger travelled to Montreal from Iran, then flew Air Canada to Vancouver. The COVID-19 case was confirmed to have been contracted in Iran in late January."

globalnews.ca

Passenger on Air Canada flight to Vancouver is not a new case of COVID-19: B.C. officials | Globalnews.ca

The airline says it was advised by health authorities on Saturday about the passenger, who flew into Vancouver on Feb. 14.

Late January?

"This article is an out-of-the-box think piece, dated Feb. 14, bolstered by historical evidence and some commonsense reasoning. It is not a refereed research paper and most of the ideas should be viewed as hypotheses, requiring further testing and research."

This is a misleading post. Please check your sources better or be more clear about their nature.
Sorry, didn't look into it enough.

Last edited:

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Coming from Viet Nam a country next to China: don't let fear affect you. The mortality rate is extremely low, it also can be easily cured. Stock up your food and health essential as a necessary but don't be too desperate about it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The author is an academic specializing in operations research (essentially systems engineering), rather than medical science or public health. Doesn't mean he's full of shit, but but it does mean that the article is hypothesis.
I always feel that if it's something that explosive, it is extremely unlikely to be reported first by an outlet we never heard of. And even if "historical evidence and some commonsense reasoning" somehow figure out something that everyone else missed, something like this will surely be picked by major news outlet very quickly.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
"B.C.'s Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) later said that female passenger travelled to Montreal from Iran, then flew Air Canada to Vancouver. The COVID-19 case was confirmed to have been contracted in Iran in late January."

globalnews.ca

Passenger on Air Canada flight to Vancouver is not a new case of COVID-19: B.C. officials | Globalnews.ca

The airline says it was advised by health authorities on Saturday about the passenger, who flew into Vancouver on Feb. 14.

Late January?

Sorry, didn't look into it enough.

Sounds like she was asymptomatic for a while then.

This also means that the virus has been in Iran for a month. Makes sense with the amount of deaths and cases. The number is too low to have that many deaths.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like she was asymptomatic for a while then.

This also means that the virus has been in Iran for a month. Makes sense with the amount of deaths and cases. The number is too low to have that many deaths.
I would not say that. Having more people infected does not suddenly equate to more deaths.

It definitely has more to do with not being diagnosed properly with the COVID and people treating it as the common flu that caused a lot of the people to be in serious conditions rather than more people = more deaths

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yup I think it is still reasonable to stock up on some food if you are expecting your city to be shut down or have some kind of restrictions. And not to over buy.

We had a buying frenzy here in Singapore a few weeks ago after the alert status was raised. Some how people went crazy and some people got trolleys worth of food. Supermarkets were emptied out of instant noodle, rice, toilet paper and even condoms. It was crazy. There were people buying 20 kg worth of rice. And an online retailer said they received their biggest order in history, an order that was over 800 kg. It was crazy.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If the Chinese government is to be believed, on February 23rd there were only 11 cases on the mainland outside Hubei province
17c.png

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Did H1N1 have such a quick spread in Europe? Looking at some data it seems quite a bit slower than what's happening now in Italy for example.

Sure, it affected a lot more people in the end, but this one is just at the beginning.
It's likely the better infrastructure and policies in place to detect these novel strains today. Back then, the world was basically caught flat footed and only highly specialized professionals and researchers knew what to do.