• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018
I'm not in northern Italy, but I can confirm even here, in a region without covid19 cases (for now), all supermarkets are being assaulted like crazy.

Tv live shows from Milan right now, no audience in the studios

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
www.oe24.at: Austria stops all train traffic to Italy

www.oe24.at

Innenministerium gibt Entwarnung – Kein Coronavirus

Oe24.at berichtet hautnah über Politik-Themen die Österreich und die Welt bewegen. Top infomiert auf einen Klick!

As AUSTRIA just learned from security circles, a train coming from Italy was stopped at the Brenner border. There were two people on board with a fever who were suspected of being infected with the corona virus. The State Medical Directorate confirmed to oe24 that there was a "corresponding incident".

Train traffic stopped. Shortly before 10 p.m. (Sunday evening), a spokesman for the ÖBB announced that all train traffic between Italy and Austria had been suspended.
The train is now at the Brennero border station on Italian territory. The further procedure is currently being coordinated and checked together with the Italian authorities. I am in constant contact with the governor Günther Platter to advise on how to proceed. In any case, the train has stopped. "

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
Because they need that tourism/international business.

drumpf on COVID19
"A lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat, as the heat comes in. Typically that will go away with April,"
"I had a long talk with [Chinese] President Xi [Jinping] … He feels very confident. He feels that, again, as I mentioned, by April or during the month of April, the heat, generally speaking, kills this kind of virus. So that would be a good thing."

Every country just sucks up to China.
They're 20% of the world economy. It's typical politics in bed with business.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I feel like reading The Stand all over again.

And stacking on pasta.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
WhatsApp_Image_2020-02-23_at_9.22.25_PM_1.jpeg

WhatsApp_Image_2020-02-23_at_9.22.25_PM.jpeg
Just snapped those, I told my boyfriend to not go to work tomorrow cause I wanted him with me. I don't know if 2 weeks of food will be enough.

Last edited:

Merino

Oct 26, 2017
This stuff makes me scared I only have a few days worth of food in the house. Can't imagine the feeling of showing up too late at a completely emptied supermarket.

Will buy some safety supplies tomorrow to last me a couple of weeks.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Company I'm working a contract for currently just continued their supply chain with their newly opened Shanghai offices after halting it for like, two weeks (and a load of people that were over there flying around China about...4 weeks ago-ish, guessing they want to continue having meetings in China). Not really sure now's the best time to conduct such business, right? The CEO is leaving the company soon for another, seems like a good time for him to jump ship, I guess.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Events like the Coronavirus really show how society teeters on a razors edge between complete calm and mass hysteria.

You'd think this was a mass zombie outbreak. Outside of China, you probably have greater odds of getting into a fatal accident while going to the grocery store to stock up.

Last edited:

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Kind of hard to imagine this not eventually breaking through and spreading in the US, but what do I know. I'm not necessarily worried about myself, but I have two 70 year old parents one of whom is pretty frail, and a 32 year old sister with health problems and is on strong immunosuppressant drugs. Shit has me nervous.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Events like the Coronavirus really show how society teeters on a razors edge between complete calm and mass hysteria.

You'd think this was a mass zombie outbreak. Outside of China, you probably have great odds of getting into a fatal accident while going to the grocery store to stock up.

Yeah, the histeria around this thing is worrying me. For now our supermarkets around here were still all fine.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

You'd think this was a mass zombie outbreak. Outside of China, you probably have great odds of getting into a fatal accident while going to the grocery store to stock up.
Twitter/News Culture does everything it possibly can to encourage hyperbole, and strip away context and nuance.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It's it truly histeria If people find themselves suddenly in an area that could be practically in lock down for days if not weeks? Buying enough food seems the reasonable thing to do in this case.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Yep, social media really doesn't help. H1N1 was way bigger in the west and I don't remember this kind of mass hysteria. It doesn't help reading Facebook posters commenting things like "This the end of the world as we know it" or "We've got to accept that 5% of the world population will die and the only thing we gotta do is to pray God".
It's really hard not to hate some people.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Did H1N1 have such a quick spread in Europe? Looking at some data it seems quite a bit slower than what's happening now in Italy for example.

Sure, it affected a lot more people in the end, but this one is just at the beginning.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
www.waaytv.com

Governor issues statement about coronavirus quarantine center in Alabama

Gov. Kay Ivey said the announcement from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services was sent prematurely.

www.wbrc.com

Anniston city leaders blindsided by plan to use local FEMA facility as part of Coronavirus quarantine

The FEMA Center in Anniston will be used to quarantine some passengers from the Diamond Princess.

Here's the press conference.

The Anniston, Alabama officials look like deer in headlights and were caught totally unaware of this decision by the federal government.

Looks like Trump spoke to the republican senator of the state and the republican governor, and told them he was canceling this proposed plan.

https://abc3340.com/news/local/sen-...a-coronavirus-quarantine-plan-will-not-happen

I just got off the phone with the President. He told me that his administration will not be sending any victims of the Coronavirus from the Diamond Princess cruise ship to Anniston, Alabama. Thank you, @POTUS, for working with us to ensure the safety of all Alabamians.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mine is and i'm immunocompromised and i'm still not panicking as much a lot of people here do or at all even.

Dachhase
Coward

(sorry, it was just so funny)

But I have to say the word panic is way overrated though. A healthy amount of preparation is never bad. Some people see others buy stuff for a week instead of two days and call it panicking already. Words again get thrown out way too fast. "You see that person buying more stuff as usual? Such panic, much hysteria, we so much more gooder and calm, cool".
Middle ground is hard to catch again without getting thrown in a basket. You're either someone who ignores it or who's overreacting. This virus should not get handled too slightly is something we should all agree at.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Having a week or two of non-perishable food ain't a bad idea in the first place. Not for the possibility of an epidemic, but for floods, tornadoes, power outages, snow-ins, etc. Shit that is far more common. An emergency kit with food, lights, and essentials. And a case or two of water in the closet. We're talking like the size of a file box is all you need.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Looks like Trump spoke to the republican senator of the state and the republican governor, and told them he was canceling this proposed plan.

https://abc3340.com/news/local/sen-...a-coronavirus-quarantine-plan-will-not-happen

I just got off the phone with the President. He told me that his administration will not be sending any victims of the Coronavirus from the Diamond Princess cruise ship to Anniston, Alabama. Thank you, @POTUS, for working with us to ensure the safety of all Alabamians.

This is bs. These patients have to go somewhere and now everyone is going to rush to be nimby about it and Trump is stupid enough to let them (for anyone who sucks up enough)

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Info on the new case in Toronto.

www.680news.com

Public health confirms latest case of COVID-19 in Toronto

Public Health Ontario says the most recent case of COVID-19 (coronavirus) has now been confirmed positive by the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg. Officials said the woman had been in China since the end of last year and had traveled multiple places – including a stop in both Wuhan and...

-Showed up at North York General with cough that was improving.
-Came from China two days ago.
-Wore mask entire time.
-Was released, and now is at home in self-isolation with mild symptoms.
-First test positive, sending to Winnipeg for confirmation.

"Given the individual's clinical assessment and history, there is a low risk that she was infectious," the province's health officials said in a statement. "The individual followed all protocols and wore a mask throughout her travels back to Toronto and, since landing, the woman has had very limited exposure to other individuals."

The province says it is coordinating with local public health units to ensure that passengers in close proximity to the woman on the plane are contacted and monitored.

Ontario's three previously confirmed coronavirus cases – a married couple from Toronto and a university student living in London – were cleared last week by health officials following two negative tests at least 24 hours apart. All had recently travelled to the region of China at the centre of the global outbreak."

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dachhase
Coward

(sorry, it was just so funny)

But I have to say the word panic is way overrated though. A healthy amount of preparation is never bad. Some people see others buy stuff for a week instead of two days and call it panicking already. Words again get thrown out way too fast. "You see that person buying more stuff as usual? Such panic, much hysteria, we so much more gooder and calm, cool".
Middle ground is hard to catch again without getting thrown in a basket. You're either someone who ignores it or who's overreacting. This virus should not get handled too slightly is something we should all agree at.
I feel like anything that push people into a frenzy that empty out supermarkets is bad, because the most vulnerable people are in most cases will be those who struggle the most to beat the rush and get supplies.
Not to mention that this rush is a really great way to spread that virus.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
This is bs. These patients have to go somewhere and now everyone is going to rush to be nimby about it and Trump is stupid enough to let them (for anyone who sucks up enough)
You know what's gonna happen here. All the states that hate Trump will get the patients, virus will spread and Trump will blame said States for the poor handling of the situation.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
You know what's gonna happen here. All the states that hate Trump will get the patients, virus will spread and Trump will blame said States for the poor handling of the situation.
There is no guarantee that sending patients to FEMA facilities will cause the virus to spread in that area though.

But yes if that does happen, then that is what he will do.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You'd think this was a mass zombie outbreak. Outside of China, you probably have greater odds of getting into a fatal accident while going to the grocery store to stock up.

Yeah, I can fully understand being vigilant about it and not taking anything for granted but like the hysteria around this could be potentially more dangerous to most people out of directly infected regions like mainland China then the disease itself.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah, I can fully understand being vigilant about it and not taking anything for granted but like the hysteria around this could be potentially more dangerous to most people out of directly infected regions like mainland China then the disease itself.
The true pandemic is usually public hysteria.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Having supplies to last you a week or two is never bad, the thing is, people should plan for stuff like that in anticipation as to not empty markets in situations like these - because some will buy in excess (like in for a month instead of a week) leaving others without the chance of buying stuff they need. After an earthquake, I've seen people buy stuff like milk or floor in quantities that border on the obscene - not something an average family could consume, but the hysteria makes them lose every ounce of common sense and empathy for the others.

If you can always keep an emergency kit, specially if you live in a disaster prone area (floods, volcanoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, you name it). For example, for people in the US this would be a nice moment to stock up since there are not shortages of anything, so buying a little extra wouldn't harm anybody else.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Is it not silly to be stocking up now? (UK)

seems like it on our doorstep if not already running rampant undetected.

Don't know what to do, On one hand thinking I'm over reacting and second hand thinking it's better to have than not and not like it will go to waste due to shelf life so what's the harm..

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Did H1N1 have such a quick spread in Europe? Looking at some data it seems quite a bit slower than what's happening now in Italy for example.

Sure, it affected a lot more people in the end, but this one is just at the beginning.
No, not even mad cow in the early '90s (not sure how it's called WW). This is the power of the internet and national newspapers (from all political agendas) getting away with more fearmongering than 30 years ago.

This reaction in Italy is 100% caused by the media and people making other people panic on social media.

For mad cow we had what was the EU then banning some form of beef meat, including the famous fiorentina (t-bone) and people and butchers fought really hard against that fearmongering and eventually prevailed, but I don't remember eating less meat, we just ate it more towards medium-well than medium-rare (which sucked, tbh).

For H1N1, SARS and all other viral outbreaks ever since, I can't remember any sort of QoL-impacting actions to prevent the viruses from spreading. It was always life as normal.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milan has gone crazy.
Schools are closed, most public places deserted.

There's, as of now, a single case in Milan. A metro zone of over 3 million people.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it not silly to be stocking up now? (UK)

seems like it on our doorstep if not already running rampant undetected.

Don't know what to do, On one hand thinking I'm over reacting and second hand thinking it's better to have than not and not like it will go to waste due to shelf life so what's the harm..

Please don't. Wearing PPE on a day to day basis is not really necessary and as people run on supplies; it makes it that much harder to get the needed amount of supplies in hospitals and other healthcare orgs.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like anything that push people into a frenzy that empty out supermarkets is bad, because the most vulnerable people are in most cases will be those who struggle the most to beat the rush and get supplies.
Not to mention that this rush is a really great way to spread that virus.

Preparing for a week =/= emptying supermarkets. I would begin to worry if supply is getting low. Supply in the supermarket isn't getting anyone far anyway. I prefer the supply in people's household's so they don't need to buy that often and reduce the risk of contact over full supermarkets in this case.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Preparing for a week =/= emptying supermarkets. I would begin to worry if supply is getting low. Supply in the supermarket isn't getting anyone far anyway. I prefer the supply in people's household's so they don't need to buy that often and reduce the risk of contact over full supermarkets in this case.
Supermarkets don't have enough stock to have everyone come in at the same day and try to get food for two weeks.
You see it every time there is a hurricane coming to Florida.
It's just the nature of the business.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Apart from the government-mandated closure of aggregation centers (swimming pools, schools etc.) a lot of Economy and IT consulting firms (Accenture, Reply etc) that have consultants working on-site at banks etc., are prohibiting said workers to take their usual weekly business trips to their clients (especially in the affected areas) as well as forcing workers in/from said areas to work from home where applicable or take leave.

I usually go to southern Italy tue-fri and expect a lot fewer people on trains this week. I was given an option to work from home as well, but I don't yet see the necessity given the current situation so I'll continue as usual.