• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
A lot of people do this weird (maybe attempted macho?) thing where they tell you not to do this or mock you if you say you're going to, but everyone should be creating as big of an emergency food and water supply as they're comfortable with, even without this virus going around.

It's denial. For some people it takes for the threat to be literally right in front of their noses to even start considering it real.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Going to Italy in a week, perfect timing to get some Coronavirus. At least I'm only in Rome. Realistically not too worried about it, maybe places will be less busy.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the situation in Italy, I would've thought there'd be considerations of not celebrating carnival in Germany. As of tomorrow there'll be huge crowds in many towns and cities. I'm having trouble not feeling panicked about this.

Also the poor doctors who died in China were all early 40s-ish. Is repeated exposure a thing? Otherwise they seem a bit young to be a group at risk?

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
A lot of people do this weird (maybe attempted macho?) thing where they tell you not to do this or mock you if you say you're going to, but everyone should be creating as big of an emergency food and water supply as they're comfortable with, even without this virus going around.

There's literally zero downside to this.
As long as you are good with keeping up the date of expiry, I agree. My aunt is a horder and has often wasted food because her backlog of food is just too big.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the situation in Italy, I would've thought there'd be considerations of not celebrating carnival in Germany. As of tomorrow there'll be huge crowds in many towns and cities. I'm having trouble not feeling panicked about this.

Also the poor doctors who died in China were all early 40s-ish. Is repeated exposure a thing? Otherwise they seem a bit young to be a group at risk?

China reported 1716 infected healthcare workers a week ago with 6 deaths.

www.google.com

The coronavirus has infected more than 1,700 healthcare workers in China, killing 6 of them

Nearly 500,000 people have come in contact with coronavirus patients, officials say. Just shy of 180,000 of them are now under medical observation.

It's bad luck, basically. With that number of infected some poor bastard is going to draw the short straw eventually, even though the group as a whole is fairing better than the general population

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fatigue, stress and preexisting condition play a factor.

Plus sadly, low chance don't mean no chance.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China reported 1716 infected healthcare workers a week ago with 6 deaths.

www.google.com

The coronavirus has infected more than 1,700 healthcare workers in China, killing 6 of them

Nearly 500,000 people have come in contact with coronavirus patients, officials say. Just shy of 180,000 of them are now under medical observation.

It's bad luck, basically. With that number of infected some poor bastard is going to draw the short straw eventually, even though the group as a whole is fairing better than the general population

Definitively healthcare workers have higher risk, don't make the same error has many do to, to discriminate against them.

Oct 25, 2017
Those doctors are heroes for trying to work through a virus, and almost certainly being over-worked to the point of over-exhaustion

Stress does terrible things to the body, so I can only imagine the pressure of trying to save lives while fighting for your own

A lot of doctors in the states aren't even out of residency at 29

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I'm not worried really at all; considering the common flu kills many more people per year but I gotta ask if there have been any developments on a vaccine/effective treatment? it's difficult to sift through legit information on the virus... i don't think it's probable that this can be contained indefinitely.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The latest novel coronavirus figures from China suggest that the outbreak remains worst in locked-down Hubei province, where 630 new cases and 96 more deaths were reported Saturday evening.

Outside China, the outbreak continued to spread. South Korea said Sunday that it was raising its national threat level to "red alert," the highest level, after 169 new cases were confirmed Sunday; in Italy, the number of cases spiked to 132, the largest number outside Asia.
●The Italian government said it has 132 confirmed cases, up from three in a matter of days. Authorities have locked down roughly a dozen small towns and canceled events across the north, including Venice's Carnival.

●The Chinese government reported 648 new cases across the country on Sunday and 97 deaths, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 76,936, with 2,442 deaths.

●Three cruise ships have docked in Wuhan to house medical workers to help the city's overburdened health-care system. On Sunday, Wuhan's Union Jiangbei Hospital announced that a 29-year-old doctor had died of coronavirus, the second death of a young doctor in Hubei in recent days.

● A third passenger who had been aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship has died, Japanese media reported Sunday.

● South Korea raised its national threat level to "red alert" after cases spiked to 602, the first time the country has used the highest setting since the H1N1 swine flu outbreak in 2009.

● Iran has confirmed seven deaths related to the coronavirus, the most outside of China, media reported Sunday. South Korea confirmed its fifth and sixth deaths.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried really at all; considering the common flu kills many more people per year but I gotta ask if there have been any developments on a vaccine/effective treatment? it's difficult to sift through legit information on the virus... i don't think it's probable that this can be contained indefinitely.
This is much deadlier then the flu like .1% mortality vs ~2% and is more infectious so a lot scarier then the flu.

A Chinese vaccine is supposed start trials in April and there are a couple other ones that might too, but there isn't going to be a vaccine any time soon.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health (NIAID), confirmed that a Phase 1 trial of a candidate vaccine would likely begin in early April, in an interview with ABC News.

"Going into a Phase 1 trial does not mean you have a vaccine," Fauci said. "It means you have taken the first step towards the vaccine, which by anybody's calculation is going to be at least a year to a year and a half at best, and that is if we proceed under the emergency authorization of the regulatory agencies."
And then after a vaccine is approved need to mass produce it so add a while longer afterwards.

"You could find yourself where you have a vaccine candidate in a year and half, a year and three quarters, but it takes another year to scale up to get enough doses to be meaningful to anyone," Fauci said.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
So it has come to my place as well. You can almost see my home from that pic.
Fuck you fucking stupid guy from lodi
www.ecodibergamo.it

Coronavirus, 2 casi a Bergamo e Seriate Chiuso l’ospedale di Alzano: terzo positivo

Una persona è risultata positiva al coronavirus a Bergamo, un altro caso a Seriate e uno ad Alzano all’ospedale, ora chiuso in isolamento. La notizia è trapelata nel pomeriggio di domenica 23 febbraio. Un ristorante di Spino al Brembo ha avuto un cliente della provincia di Lodi poi risultato...

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
This is much deadlier then the flu like .1% mortality vs ~2% and is more infectious so a lot scarier then the flu.

A Chinese vaccine is supposed start trials in April and there are a couple other ones that might too, but there isn't going to be a vaccine any time soon.

And then after a vaccine is approved need to mass produce it so add a while longer afterwards.

jfc. Seems so slow. Thank you for the information. Is there any chance this will die down when flu season is over?

Regardless, not going to get all nuts if the recovery rate is 98% but I do hope we start hearing more positive news soon...

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
thanks, i have to go to california and hawaii, normally id be thrilled at the chance, but now i just feel dread.

1. Don't fear-monger in here.

2. Don't work yourself into a frenzy over travelling domestically. You're not even leaving the country.

3. Unless you're of old age or possess serious preexisting health conditions you're at little risk, so just be diligent about your hygiene and wash your hands frequently.

Extreme fatigue and work stress causes immunosuppression.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
In this helpful twitter thread posted late in the previous topic, I was surprised to see this line re 2009's H1N1:

"The 2009 H1N1 pandemic is often remembered as being "mild", but there was a quite a significant health impact: an estimated 43-89 million people in the US were infected and 12,000 people died between Apr2009-Apr2010."

I was living here, I follow the news a lot, am I misremembering how big a deal it was? Because I don't recall being concerned at the time, or going about my day any differently, or knowing anyone who got it.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
thanks, i have to go to california and hawaii, normally id be thrilled at the chance, but now i just feel dread.

Neither California nor Hawaii have registered local outbreaks. The chances you get in contact with someone who could transmit the virus are almost null.
Follow the CDC's recommendations regarding hand washing, and you should be okay. And if I may be blunt, it wouldn't do you harm to put the thread in ignore for now - you're needlessly causing yourself anxiety. Go and enjoy your trip.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what are you expecting if your take about this whole thing is about your minor personal inconvenience?
No, I'm really concerned about the whole thing in general. It's just crazy that as soon as we decide to look more into it, it shows up in the very place we were planning to go to.

Why is it that most people's first thought on the internet is to be rude to other people?

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Why countries dont just shut everything down, it is clear containment is being breached, this will kill the NHSin the U.K. if it gets widespread

data

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm really concerned about the whole thing in general. It's just crazy that as soon as we decide to look more into it, it shows up in the very place we were planning to go to.

Why is it that most people's first thought on the internet is to be rude to other people?
Please put it into perspective. While you have given us unnecessary commentary regarding your travel plans ( that means you are currently probably in a safe area) to a current hotbed, others are living in those hotbeds/areas.

Was it really necessary to tell us that you had plans to go to Italy and that it sucks that you can't go because of current events? Yes we know it sucks, it sucks especially for people living there. But the situation is more serious than any travel plans.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why countries dont just shut everything down, it is clear containment is being breached, this will kill the NHSin the U.K. if it gets widespread
Because they need that tourism/international business.

drumpf on COVID19
"A lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat, as the heat comes in. Typically that will go away with April,"
"I had a long talk with [Chinese] President Xi [Jinping] … He feels very confident. He feels that, again, as I mentioned, by April or during the month of April, the heat, generally speaking, kills this kind of virus. So that would be a good thing."

Every country just sucks up to China.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Do we know how many ACTIVE cases are in the US?

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, no... Not a doctor... :(

Is that the youngest death from the virus?
According this table posted in an earlier article, one person in the 10-19 age range has died in China and 7 (now 8 with Xia Sisi's death) in the 20-29 age range.

ddr1m1w-8fbbbf1d-238d-40d9-9d90-67ac8b4686df.jpg

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Because they need that tourism/international business.

drumpf on COVID19
"A lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat, as the heat comes in. Typically that will go away with April,"
"I had a long talk with [Chinese] President Xi [Jinping] … He feels very confident. He feels that, again, as I mentioned, by April or during the month of April, the heat, generally speaking, kills this kind of virus. So that would be a good thing."

Every country just sucks up to China.
Yeah except unless Japan gets this shit under control within a month they'll be losing my business when I cancel my trip, and I'm not the only one even in this very thread (well in the previous thread). Doing not even what should be the bare minimum is criminal negligence.

South Korea and Italy are doing what they can. Others, like Japan, think they can just wish the problem away.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Don't know if this has been posted already but looks like we are in some sort of week-long lockdown in Milan along with other Northern cities. Just got an email from work (ESL teacher) that our institute is going to be closed and we won't be visiting any students for out of school lessons either. My mom who's staying with us just came from the grocery store and everyone is in full blown panic. My sister's uni is also closed along with all others and schools.

Here's an article from the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rn-italian-towns-close-schools-and-businesses

Well, it isn't so warm, we are still in February and everyone still go outside with a jacket or coat in Northern italy. I would not say that the current temperature is a typical Spring one. Maybe he is right and this virus will behave differently, but this is another matter.

It was close to 20C in Milan this past week, almost no one was wearing sweaters any more. I work near the financial district and everyone was carrying their woolen overcoats, including myself. I even saw a few people in t-shirts, so it's definitely getting much warmer than we are used to this time of year.

Last edited:

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in a shitty situation. I live in one of the few regions in northern Italy that hasn't been hit yet but I know it's probably a matter of time. My grandfather has been very ill for a long time now (completely unrelated to corona virus), doctors say it'll probably be a matter of days. That's bad enough as it is, but I'm struggling to think how to handle the funeral considering the situation with the virus. Universities and churches are already closed here for the coming week, among other things, I don't know if I'm overreeacting but It seems a bad idea to have a funeral with a lot of people right now. It's a big risk, especially with close relatives that are old/have weak immune systems. It's a terribile situation at the worst possible time. I'm a wreck honestly, can barely keep it together.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a shitty situation. I live in one of the few regions in northern Italy that hasn't been hit yet but I know it's probably a matter of time. My grandfather has been very ill for a long time now (completely unrelated to corona virus), doctors say it'll probably be a matter of days. That's bad enough as it is, but I'm struggling to think how to handle the funeral considering the situation with the virus. Universities and churches are already closed here for the coming week, among other things, I don't know if I'm overreeacting but It seems a bad idea to have a funeral with a lot of people right now. It's a big risk, especially with close relatives that are old/have weak immune systems. It's a terribile situation at the worst possible time. I'm a wreck honestly, can barely keep it together.
Now that's a terrible situation. Don't even know what I would do personally. Seems like it might be prudent to not have a big funeral right now, and perhaps do a big celebration of life event when this thing is gone?

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Don't fear-monger in here.

2. Don't work yourself into a frenzy over travelling domestically. You're not even leaving the country.

3. Unless you're of old age or possess serious preexisting health conditions you're at little risk, so just be diligent about your hygiene and wash your hands frequently.

Extreme fatigue and work stress causes immunosuppression.
Honest question. How is being worried about something like that fear-mongering?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was living here, I follow the news a lot, am I misremembering how big a deal it was? Because I don't recall being concerned at the time, or going about my day any differently, or knowing anyone who got it.
I remember the 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic as being quite a big deal, but it started in North America, so the coverage of it in western media was way more responsible.
I want to say social media wasn't quite as bad back then, but I'm honestly not sure about that point.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always stock months of food and drinking water.

Flood, hurricane, recession, etc. can happen anytime.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I wish the statistics would focus more on active cases, which is what actually matters, over total cases (which basically just causes concern).