• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Today is the one month anniversary of the Wuhan lockdown, with no end in sight.

At night, wailing and screaming can be heard throughout the city:

Oh God, that is definitely nightmare material.

I'm fearful that if it gets really bad, people are going to attempt to break quarantine and it'll snowball.

I would hate to see other countries have to enact extreme measures like these but it may be needed to contain it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
All Northern Italy is in alert. In Turin (Piemonte) there are already 3 positive cases and I suspect that more will appear in the day. There are positive cases in Piacenza (Emilia Romagna), too.
Instead, Central and Southern Italy seem completely fine for the moment.
Just wait a couple of days/a week, there are 0 chances that the virus hasn't spread already in other zones, the lockdown happened too late for this being a thing, unfortunately.
Not saying that was late once they knew the virus was in Italy, I mean that they did an awful job in preventing this to happen:

www.repubblica.it

Coronavirus, pronto il test rapido. Cinesi in fila. Ma la Regione lo blocca

Polemica sullo stop all’iniziativa dell’università di Padova

www.huffingtonpost.it

Ricciardi: "Dovevamo fare come gli altri Paesi Ue che non hanno bloccato i voli e attuato la quarantena"

Ricciardi: "Dovevamo fare come gli altri Paesi Ue che non hanno bloccato i voli e attuato la quarantena"

The virus incubation period is the real problem and it's really hard to prevent that at this point, other then say to every single person in Italy to stay home and call for emergency if they have symptoms, which can't be a thing right now, but it probably will once other cities will be in the same situation of Lombardia (and it will be too late to really tackle the virus at that point).

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. My wife & I were just discussing going to Italy for our one year anniversary in September.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing that it doesn't seem to have hit Africa in any meaningful way yet. May it stay that way.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The fact there was one case in Egypt, then total silence is... Well, deafening. It MUST be rocking around Egypt like no man's business. No doubt in my mind.

There probably are hundreds if not thousands of other unidentified cases across the world, considering the specifics of this virus. The poorer countries are probably being hit in some way, but it's possible doctors just don't know that the virus is the cause of people's sickness or don't know how to deal with it.

With all the information, misinformation, and international panic happening with this one, things can easily slip through.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
Translation?

Edit: ah yeah you added a line
"Stopped the Carnival of Venice. Zaia [the president of the region Veneto], in Veneto, blocked all demonstrations and closed schools."

Many Serie A football matches were already postponed, and people were asking what to do about the carnival.

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018
There's also a curious decision regarding live television
Tonight two prime-time TV live shows based in Milan, Le Iene (Italia1) and Live-Non è la d'Urso (Canale5), won't have any public inside the studio. Both channels are owned by private broadcaster Mediaset

Rai, the public state television, may do so with its programmes that go live from Milan. One of them tonight is Che tempo che fa hosted by Fabio Fazio on Rai2.

That's because the Lombardia region prohibited "any form of meeting in a public or private place".
www.ansa.it

Chiuse tutte le scuole, annullati eventi - Lombardia

Ordinanza sul coronavirus firmata dal presidente Attilio Fontana di concerto con il ministro della salute Roberto Speranza. (ANSA)

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
www.scmp.com

Wuhan to quarantine all cured coronavirus patients after some test positive

Discharged patients to spend 14 days in designated centres after cases in which people who had recovered still carried the virus and were able to infect others.
  • Recovered and discharged people were sent to designated centres from Saturday onwards
  • Decision follows several instances in which recovered patients were found to be still carrying the virus and able to infect others
The new quarantine arrangements came after Chinese medical experts on the front line of the battle to contain the outbreak warned that recovered patients may still carry the virus and be contagious.

Zhao Jianping, a doctor heading a team working in Hubei, said on Thursday that there had been cases in which patients tested positive after they had seemingly recovered.

In another case in Changde, a city in Hunan province in central China, a woman tested positive on February 9, five days after she was released from quarantine at a local hospital having tested negative in two previous laboratory tests.

"It may be that there are still viruses or viral gene fragments in the discharged patients," Cai Weiping, head of the infectious diseases department at Guangzhou No 8 Hospital, was quoted as saying. "It is not yet certain whether they are infectious. This is a new pathogen, and we don't yet have a perfect process to understand it."

Singapore is kicking it:

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'm not at all worried yet but seeing how fast things can get out of hand, it might not be such a bad idea to have at least a month's worth of food?

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'm not at all worried yet but seeing how fast things can get out of hand, it might not be such a bad idea to have at least a month's worth of food?

I live in Florida, hurricanes means a emergency kit is really useful. If a real bad hurricane hits, supply and transport can be down for usually 1-2 weeks. Just buy something you can eat normally and if nothing happens eat it normally.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
I'm very worried for Italy, I hope they can still manage to somehow contain it regionally. The tourist season is right around the corner too, this can be really bad for their economy.

Amazing that it doesn't seem to have hit Africa in any meaningful way yet. May it stay that way.

Can the climate be a factor here? Especially for Sub-Saharan Africa?

/edit fixed typo

Last edited:

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'm very worried for Italy, I hope they can still manage to somehow contain it regionally. The tourist season is round around the corner too, this can be really bad for their economy.

Not as developed healthcare systems, and less reporting on Africa. Probably also a factor of people ignoring Africa, Ebola is still spreading around, WHO still monitoring, and yet it's left the news in the U.S entirely.

No doubt it's already spreading.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

Warmer climates lend to more open windows and less indoor gatherings. People just tend to space out more. Being cold also lowers the immune system. We don't really know how warm weather will affect this specifically but just the circumstances and behaviour of people in warmer weather inherently stifles this kind of contagion to some degree.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Only 6 cases in Turin and now the local Civil Protection has in mind to close all the public offices in town. This is strange.

www.lastampa.it

Cresce l’allarme coronavirus, sospesa Torino-Parma. Ipotesi chiusura degli uffici pubblici

E’ in corso un vertice nella sede della protezione civile in corso Marche, 79

it was zero cases 24 hours ago, neighbouring region has a huge growth in cases. Seems like a reasonable precaution if it isn't contained yet

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
You should see how many fake messages are being shared via whatsapp here in Italy. Lots of stupid people poisoning the well while others are in real danger.
I think the government did an ok job, don't know what else they could have done given that you can't just stop a whole country as a prevention. We still aren't sure about how it spread here btw.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
If it's spreading so fast in italy it's only a matter of time when it hits germany and france.

Already hit both?? Both counties have recorded cases and both have already had recovered cases with zero fatalities. Both had spread events too.

.SK is handling this quite well. Reasonable measures with zero tolerance policies mixed in.

Iran has to clear this up quick, or otherwise risks eroding all the good will it had with the world after the Trump attacks. Reach out for help now. Other ME have powers like Saudi behind them for med tech and doctor. Iran is quite isolated respectively.

You know you fucked up when a nation full of strife like Afghanistan decides to close it borders with you. Good call by Turkey too.

.I have very low expectations about Italy but so far they have taken some decisive actions and the lockdown are actually surprising. Keep at it.

Last edited:

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
www.waaytv.com

Governor issues statement about coronavirus quarantine center in Alabama

Gov. Kay Ivey said the announcement from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services was sent prematurely.

www.wbrc.com

Anniston city leaders blindsided by plan to use local FEMA facility as part of Coronavirus quarantine

The FEMA Center in Anniston will be used to quarantine some passengers from the Diamond Princess.

Here's the press conference.

The Anniston, Alabama officials look like deer in headlights and were caught totally unaware of this decision by the federal government.

These are probably the same passengers/patients that were going to be transferred to Costa Mesa before a judge blocked it? Or are they evacuating more Americans off the cruise ship?

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
Already hit both?? Both counties have recorded cases and both have already had recovered cases with zero fatalities. Both had spread events too.

Here in Germany it was basically limited to the employees of one company, who had a co-worker from China come in for training. She became sick when she arrived back home and the company was alerted. So they shut down the company and tested the employees that got sick.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
All of these cases were contained pretty quickly. If it's spreading in italy it won't be able to be contained to a group less than 50. Especially once commercial air travel starts tomorrow morning.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried about things a little here in the UK but it's mostly because I live near Brighton which had cases a couple weeks ago out of nowhere. I've bought more stock of non perishable and tinned goods that I usually consume (so like rice, chickpeas, baked beans) but no real work beyond that. I think I'm adequately monitoring things without freaking out.

I have a lot of confidence in how the various governments seem to be handling their outbreaks. It's bad if you live there for sure but for the sake of the world population the drastic actions are what is needed in a lot of cases.

Just have to wait and see how it develops, which is the painful thing really right now from my POV. That and (more selfishly) that I'm taking my best bud who's had a shitty few years on a well well earned holiday in May and I don't want it to get wrecked for either of us, but particularly for him who has been through a lot lately.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
like i feel like this is the end, and it sucks because i have to travel next month, i cant back out of it because of familial obligations and i feel like i signed my own death warrant

The chances are very very much in your favour, both of not catching it and then recovering if you do. Be sensible and hygienic, but don't lose sleep over it.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Xi is claiming to have "personally led the fight against COVID19" then doesn't he open himself up to blame considering that it hasn't gone well? If I were the dictator for life in China I wouldn't want to link this to myself.
Shameful as well that they try to pin this on the US. It's pretty damn clear that Wuhan was the origin.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
While I wouldn't recommend going full doomsday prepper, I do think it's a good idea to stock up on food and provisions. A few weeks, few months, whatever you're comfortable with. Whether it's lockdowns or a global recession, I believe we're in for some tough times before things get better.

Just by the very nature of how this thing spreads and infects, containment is impossible. A vaccine, if there truly is one, won't be available for at least a year. So I believe the best we can hope for is wait it out and let Nature do it's thing until it corrects itself. Whether that comes in the form of Covid-19 mutating into a lesser problematic virus, or the virus burning itself out, who's to say.

I just don't wanna see some of you guys stress yourselves out over this to the point where it's taking a serious mental toll on you. We've gotten through pandemics before and we'll get through this one. Humanity has always been highly adaptable. That doesn't mean this year isn't gonna suck. But all you can do is prepare as best you can, take care of your health, and move on with your life.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
My group decided against going to university tomorrow (teaching activities/exams are stopped, but reearch laboratories will be open), we can work autonomously at home and do a meeting on Skype. At least we can see how the situation will evolve before deciding for Tuesday since there are already 6 positive cases and probably the number will increase.

Anyway I am already seeing some signs of panic. My mother to the pharmacy to buy some medicines for my grandmother, and all the four people before her bought hand sanitizer. Then, we went to the supermarket as soon as it opened to buy something for dinner - typically at that hour it is almost empty on Sunday, this time it was full and most of people were buying a lot of pasta and water.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of people do this weird (maybe attempted macho?) thing where they tell you not to do this or mock you if you say you're going to, but everyone should be creating as big of an emergency food and water supply as they're comfortable with, even without this virus going around.

There's literally zero downside to this.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
like i feel like this is the end, and it sucks because i have to travel next month, i cant back out of it because of familial obligations and i feel like i signed my own death warrant
even if you were to catch it (which is not a guarantee - even being in a country with a high number of incidents does not mean that you will catch it too) most people seem to be recovering. it's a very serious illness, but the current mortality rate is 2-3% and it appears to be mostly older people or immunocompromised people. if you are part of that group, it might be worth being more cautious, but if you are not just be careful, wash your hands regularly, etc.