• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
There was a thread a while back that looked at some websites for game tracking. Unfortunately, I feel like the options mentioned there were all pretty lacking.

I think Grouvee is the best of the ones I've tried, because at least it supports basic sorting and filtering options (as well as a functional if bare-bones UI). But I hate that it only supports a five star rating system.

I really wish some game site just copied anilist. In terms of features, that has everything I'd want, and so far I haven't found anything that would come close to it in terms of game tracking.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I personally use Backloggd, it has my favorite UI of the bunch!

LcqLPpv.png

ukxt1OC.jpg
Yeah I'm a big Backloggd fan, and the developer is very communicative and releases regular major updates.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I use Backloggd right now and it's great but I really like some of the manual stuff and sheer flexibility of Notion.so. So I might check it out and see if it suits me better. Quite like the idea of being able to add new things specific to certain games if that's possible.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I do this in a Google sheet including installed sizes of games so I can run a total, and more easily manage space on my consoles. It's a bit of a mess currently though and I'm always looking for new ways to improve and manage this so I appreciate all these suggestions.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
There was a thread a while back that looked at some websites for game tracking. Unfortunately, I feel like the options mentioned there were all pretty lacking.

I think Grouvee is the best of the ones I've tried, because at least it supports basic sorting and filtering options (as well as a functional if bare-bones UI). But I hate that it only supports a five star rating system.

I really wish some game site just copied anilist. In terms of features, that has everything I'd want, and so far I haven't found anything that would come close to it in terms of game tracking.
Yep, I use Grouvee as well and I also found it to be the best one while still not being perfect. No custom entries, for instance.

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, but imo still doesn't beat the simplicity and future-proofness of my google sheet setup

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I actually haven't! I was inspired to use it after seeing how they're using it on the wecanfixitinui discord.

I'm terms of user research work, at the moment the stuff I'm working on is very sensitive so I'm very concerned with protecting the data of my participants. I'm working with people with disabilities. So I don't want to put user research information into someplace like notion, because it is technically an online space. I know that you can keep documents 'offline' but I prefer local files for that type of thing. I wouldn't want to mess up and accidentally drag some participant data into a shared area or something like that.

Perhaps that's just my anxiety causing me to be overly concerned, after all I have used google docs for participant data in the past, but the difference I think is that google docs can't be found without a link, while notion is navigated as an interconnected wiki.

Here's the wecanfixitinui notion, kind of useful if you're into ux and games user research.
www.notion.so

WE CAN FIX IT IN UI (Archive) | Notion

⚠ Migration Notice ⚠

Ah thanks for the insight! Yeah I understand your concern about the privacy stuff. Better safe than sorry! Also, thanks for the link to the wecanfixitinui Notion page. I am into UX and will look into it for inspiration.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Nice, but imo still doesn't beat the simplicity and future-proofness of my google sheet setup

Sheets and notion tables can both be exported to csv. Any site that can export your database to csv format has pretty much absolute future-proofness, I would say. That's where sites like backloggery are pretty good also, you can export your data to a csv file and then store it in sheets, notion, excel or wherever.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Gamefaqs.com has the best database by far, but also the worst user experience. Very limited tools and features.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
We have to move an entire house full of video games in the next month, so I appreciate you posting your template. I use Notion at work for design wikis, so I will see if I can take your setup and modify it so we can have an idea of exactly what we are putting into storage for insurance purposes.

I'll also look at Playnite for tracking our non-physical media.

Thanks!

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
This is such a fantastic thread folks, thanks for all the info. I have a question for those who have tried a couple of them:

There's a small group of friends of mine who all live far away from each other but talk games most days. I can't see many social aspects on these sites but maybe I'm missing it. Do any of the sites have an ability to link collections/backlogs/recommendations to a select few other users? Would be great to have essentially a private group but with full access to info.

I'm going to try a few anyway so thanks again for everyone's suggestions so far!

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
I use my modified Google Sheets form for that. Nothing fancy. But i tracking all of my gaming activity there.
Maybe i look for an alternative for next year. Thanks OP! ^^,

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Way back in the day I did backloggery and that was nice, but then I fell off and just never bothered to go back and update it. I might give this a look as it would be nice to have a list for such things again.

If you're on PC, what I recommend is to use Playnite (game launcher) which has extensions that let you sync your game library to Isthereanydeal in one click as a collection.

If you're using the Augmented Steam browser extension, you get a very nice bonus

BCBBHxz.png

Oct 27, 2017
I use my modified Google Sheets form for that. Nothing fancy. But i tracking all of my gaming activity there.
Maybe i look for an alternative for next year. Thanks OP! ^^,

Same here. I use a spreadsheet to keep tabs on what I want to play next from my backlog. I use different columns to organize my games:
  • Title
  • Platform
  • Genre
  • Region (I have two PSN accounts)
  • Format (PSN, PS+, PSNow, Retail, etc.)
  • Multiplayer Trophies (so I can get over them as quickly as possible)
  • Platinum Difficulty
  • Time to Platinum
I have to manually input everything, but it works for me.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Notion.so seems like a user firendly and easy to use tool for managing a list. It doesn't really go beyond sorting and filtering though, which means that I canät do all the fun stuff that I want to do with my data.

That looks cool, there are a ton of sites great for tracking collections. I used to use a Google Sheet for mine, but eventually made my own website/database and imported everything. I constantly update it with everything from PS+, Games with Gold, free Epic Games Store games. It's been a fun side-project just for myself (localhost only, the site isn't visible to the outside world), though having full control is a double-edged sword.

On one hand I get all the features/sorting/reports I want with fully custom art and game-specific features (like a racing game lap time feature I'm working on). On the other hand, you have to code it all yourself and do a TON of Photoshop lol. I guess it's a similar idea to working on your car yourself vs. taking it to the shop.

Just make sure to have a test environment and take database backups often!

This is sort of where I'm at. Been using a spreadsheet for years now and have bolted on a bunch of stuff to it (graphs tracking play count per year, average spending per year over time etc, basically a bunch of visualizations). It looks quite messy though and I wish there were a more streamlined way of doing it.