• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
It's always just someone making a desperate attempt to drag the spotlight onto themselves and/or their incredibly superficial "observation."

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You know what the funny this is? That's exactly what you're doing with this thread.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
It's not used to introduce humor, always used before some serious gotcha statement against someone about something they did imo

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
9ff.gif

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When people say ''you'll never believe this'' they immediately say something completely plausible.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"No offense, but I'm about to offend you"

"Not to be rude, but here is a rude statement"

OP
OP
ResetSoul

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
"No offense, but I'm about to offend you"

"Not to be rude, but here is a rude statement"

Thank you; More or less this, yes.

Something like "You know what the funny thing is, something minor in the big picture and which only matters to and interests me."

Like you're talking about how you just got a new car and some guy's like "You know what the funny thing is? I was driving my Scion tC and crashed it at 100 miles per hour."
It's like... "Yes. The funny thing about my getting a new car is that you crashed an unrelated car in an unrelated incident once before. Totally. Thanks for hijacking my good mood."

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Something like "You know what the funny thing is, something minor in the big picture and which only matters to and interests me."

Like you're talking about how you just got a new car and some guy's like "You know what the funny thing is? I was driving my Scion tC and crashed it at 100 miles per hour."
It's like... "Yes. The funny thing about my getting a new car is that you crashed an unrelated car in an unrelated incident once before. Totally. Thanks for hijacking my good mood."

That's not the correct usage, though. The correct usage is something like "I bought Car X because everyone was raving about how it gets such great gas mileage. But you know what the funny (odd) thing is? After driving it for a month I actually calculated that it gets worse mileage than my old car"

The phrase is used to point out a contradiction, not to just say something that happened to you. People seem to be using the phrase incorrectly around you, which is indeed annoying. But it's a perfectly fine phrase when used correctly.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017

So this stems from Robin on HBO's The Rehearsal? The crazy guy?

OP
OP
ResetSoul

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
But your example used the phrase incorrectly. After your assured us you knew what it meant.

Then maybe I'm just complaining about the prevalence of people using the phrase incorrectly and self-servingly, because I have almost never heard anyone use this phrase the "correct" way, it's always in an attempt to one-up or to bring the conversation back to themselves or the subject they're interested in.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this drives me crazy. People always tell me that something smells funny, but it never once made me laugh.

wtf is with this shit? Have some standards you plebs.

Dec 30, 2020
This usually precedes a conspiratorial explanation of why Steve isn't really Steve, why all the stray cats in the neighborhood have gone missing, and why a haunted construction site started building its own buildings. At least where I'm from, anyway.

Funny thing is, I couldn't for the life of me tell you what this person looks or sounds like, only that you'd know 'em if you saw 'em.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is, though, you get six hot dogs in a pack of hot dogs but eight buts in a pack of buns.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
they don't mean its literally funny op. maybe take an english class...

Actually, in some contexts it literally does mean funny. I've heard it used to both preface something funny and ironic. Often both.

Also, I love me a good preface, so OP would hate me.

The funny thing is...

On SECOND thought...

You know, when you get right down to it...

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
On the other hand, what follows "You know, the sad thing is..." is usually hilarious.

This is so true. And usually whatever's "sad" is usually so goddamn hilarious the person can't even get that part out without cracking themselves up. (Me, 'person' is me)

You know what's sad about this whole thing?... OK shuddap shuddap I'm being SERIOUS...