• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Anime fansub scene going into the DVD explosiion of the early 00s, I did my part to fund some forgettable anime. Anyone want to look back on Witch Hunter Robin lol?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy that we've got companies like Discotek who still show love for older series.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching someone call TTGL and Code Geass "Boomer Anime" made me gain like 30 wrinkles instantly.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if anyone want to shoot the shit about Witch Hunter Robin, Bubblegum Crisis, Outlaw Star, or Record of Lodoss War: Chronicle of the Heroic Knight, let me know. lol
Sure. So, having watch the original Bubblegum Crisis continuity stuff recently, one thing that gets me is how the Boomers are totally different between Crisis and Crash. In Crisis, almost every single Boomer masquerades as a human, and it often isn't revealed that they're a Boomer until they show off superhuman abilities of some sort. Then in Crash, with the except of cyborgs that are considered to be Boomers, we see that the idea of a Boomer just being able to speak like a person is unheard of. That's not to mention that the whole element of GENOM Corporation is totally dropped in Crash.

Now, things change with sequels, what can you do. I don't mean to whine about plotholes. But what makes me curious about it is that Bubblegum Crash started its release only four months after the last episode of Crisis, and it still has some of the major people involved like Toshimichi Suzuki, although he went from writer to producer. My understanding is that there were legal tensions with Crisis that resulted in half of the production involved making their own continuation on their own and exposing themselves to further legal issues in the process. It's just wild that they seemingly never stopped working on it but still ended up with something sharply different all of a sudden, whether due to the lack of AIC's involvement or shifts at Artmic or whatever.

I think if you watch them back to back you get that sense of shock visually. The art style for Crash is almost perfectly the same, maybe a tiny bit flatter in how it's shaded, but the highly detailed and angles and movements are just totally gone.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
When you were there when the fansub scene was still doing tapes...

I was in fact not there. I have been there since the beginnings of the digital fansub scene however.

I remember those vhs tapes. They have grades on the quality, it was quite pricey to get an entire series. I remember some sell "master" quality on s-vhs tapes (can't afford that).

------------------------

Anyone remember this? It's not old old but older that I haven't seen it mention in a long time. One reason might be is that it's not that popular but for some reason it popped to my head.

QNuaMqe.png

--------------------------

Also some that I remembered are ah my goddess, tenchi muyo, maison ikkoku, escaflowne, kimagure orange road, flame of recca...

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I had some similar thoughts about this recently when I was re-watching some of the old Tenchi Muyo OVAs and Universe.

Damn Ronin Warriors! I don't think I've seen that since back in the day it was airing on Toonami!

Is the second one Tekkaman? Never actually seen it.

Well, if anyone want to shoot the shit about Witch Hunter Robin, Bubblegum Crisis, Outlaw Star, or Record of Lodoss War: Chronicle of the Heroic Knight, let me know. lol

I've never actually seen Bubblegum Crisis but have all the others.

I only saw Robin once back when it was airing on TV so my memory is sketchy but I remember thinking it was pretty good.

Is the Lodoss War you're referring to the TV series? I've only recently seen the OVA myself but quite enjoyed that.

Now Outlaw Star I know very well! I adore that show. I think it was the the first anime I ever bought for myself and still have the complete box set I got from Suncoast Video. I probably watch it at least once a year or so.

I always loved all the episode intros and how they either helped in fleshing out a character or the setting in general and always in a way that helped relate to the episode.

I remember reading about concepts for a sequel that never got off the ground though based on the description I'm sort of glad it never got made to a degree since it sounded almost like a complete reset at least with the start.

Last edited:

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
My earliest experiences with anime were from the Sci Fi channel in the late 90s, watching stuff like Galaxy Express 999 and Project A-ko. Those movies were already old by the time I saw them, so "no one talking about the old anime I like" was basically my intro to the genre.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
My earliest experiences with anime were from the Sci Fi channel in the late 90s, watching stuff like Galaxy Express 999 and Project A-ko. Those movies were already old by the time I saw them, so "no one talking about the old anime I like" was basically my intro to the genre.

Remember Anime Week with Apollo Smile?

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Remember scrapped princess? It was very good

Never thought I would see this show come up, but yes that was a solid one. I wish we got more single run 24 - 26 anime like that instead of the cycle now of have a season, sometimes wait a few years to get a season 2, and then the show vanishes.

Also, solid ending theme for Scrapped Princess.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Eureka Seven was my jam back when it was airing on Adult Swim. That and Ghost in the Shell. Great music in both. Probably just the right age for Eureka Seven at the time. But man the sequels looked like trash.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017

Never cared much for the .hack stuff, but these openings always stuck with me. Outside of the recent HD ports of the games, I never hear a peep about this series anymore.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think about this topic a lot. The era of anime that was big in the 90's and early 2000's has all but been forgotten, especially as a lot of older fans have aged out of the scene. It's a problem I don't think you'll see in future generations because society is so much MORE online and anime has gotten so big.

The unfortunate thing is that in 2000 there was so much less anime back then. Not just because of time, but because they were producing less. In the 90's it was possible for an entire season to go by without any new shows. So even in like...2003 it was possible to just watch everything relevant from 1985 to like, 2003 and probably still have seen less than a hundred shows.

That said people still talk about at least one of those.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
You couldn't talk anime on the net without discussing these. WHere did the years go, am I going to turn into one of those "anime was better when you had kazaa real media files with badly translated piss yellow subtitles" anime nerds?
MV5BYWY1MWJjODYtMjk5Yy00OGY3LWFjNjctMjJlMDBiMmI0ODk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
You know, I don't think I actually liked lain

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Because of this thread I went and found an old external hard drive I used to store anime on. Went on a good trip down memory lane. Even some of these fansub group names are nostalgic. I remember with the family's terrible DSL internet I would torrent fansubs and leave them on overnight sometimes for weeks. Is admitting this technically against ToS? Probably. But let's be honest every anime fan back then did it.

Anyways I exported the contents for anyone's amusement. Behold the treasure chest of an anime fan in the mid to late 2000's. I think I had good taste tbh.

Air Gear [Kyuu]
Air TV [Koi]
Angel Beats [Mazui]
Ano Hana [gg]
Aria Complete [CrystalNova]
Baccano! [DMZ]
Bakemonogatari [gg]
BasilisK [M-Shi]
Berserk [a4e]
Black Lagoon Complete [Exiled-Destiny]
Blood+ [Shinsen]
Blue Gender [dub]
Break Blade [gg]
CANAAN [gg]
Casshern Sins [Shinsen]
Chaos Head [m.3.3.w]
Chobits [KAA]
Clannad Complete [SS-Eclipse]
Claymore [Eclipse]
Code Geass Complete [Eclipse]
Cowboy Bebop [ZX]
Crystal Blaze [AniYoshi]
Darker Than Black Complete [sudo]
Death Note [animanda]
Desert Punk [Blitz]
Durarara!! [AnCo^2]
ef a tale of memories
Elfen Lied [AniYoshi]
Eureka Seven [Nanashi]
Fate Zero [UTW]
Fate-Stay Night [AonE]
From The New World [UTW]
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood [Funimation]
Full Metal Alchemist [A-Keep]
Full Metal Panic Complete [KAA]
Ga-Rei-Zero [Aero]
Gankutsuou [KAA]
Ghost in the Shell Complete [KAA]
Gintama [Rumbel]
Great Teacher Onizuka [B-A]
Guilty Crown [Commie]
Gundam 00 Complete [Conclave-Mendoi]
Gundam Seed Destiny [KAA]
Gundam Seed [KAA]
Gungrave [AHQ]
Gunslinger Girl Complete [KAA]
GunXsword [Shinsen]
Hanasaku Iroha [HorribleSubs]
Hellsing [AC3]
High School of the Dead [GroupMix]
Hunter x Hunter (2011) season 1[Coalgirls]
Hyouka [Mazui]
InuYasha Kanketsu-hen [Kanketsu]
K-ON Complete [Eclipse]
Kanon 2006 [SS-Eclipse]
Kara no kyoukai [gg]
Katanagatari [Mazui]
Kimi ga nozomu ein [KAA]
Last Exile [KAA]
Love Hina [XEBEC]
Lucky Star [EnA]
Macross Frontier [Lunar]
Made in Abyss [HorribleSubs]
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica [gg]
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Complete [a.f.k]
Mnemosyne [Doremi]
Monster [A-Keep]
Mushishi [C1]
NANA [Dub]
Neon Genesis Evangelion [ZX]
Nodame Cantabile Complete [A-Keep]
Noein [Shinsen]
One Piece 1-495 [Kaizoku]
Ouran Host Club [A-Keep]
Outlaw Star [AQH]
Persona 4 The Animation (Dual Audio)[CBM]
Psycho-Pass [Commie]
RahXephon [AHQ]
Requiem for the Phantom [Desire]
S-Cry-Ed [a4e]
Sailor Moon [dub]
Samurai 7 [AQH]
Samurai Champloo [a4e]
Samurai X [AHQ]
School Rumble Complete [Dual Audio] [Nanashi]
Seirei no Moribito [A-Kraze]
Serial Experiments Lain
Shakugan no Shana Complete [Eclipse]
Spice and Wolf Complete [Mazui]
Steins;Gate [HorribleSubs]
Sword Art Online [HorribleSubs]
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann [Black]
The Twelve Kingdoms [KAA]
The World Only God Knows
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun[Mazui]
Toradora [CoalGirls]
Toward the Terra [A-E]
Trinity Blood [ACX]
True Tears [Rozen]
Vampire Knight Complete [Shoku-dan]
Vision of Escaflowne [a4e]
Wolfs Rain [a4e]
Zero No Tsukaima [SS-Eclipse]

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I actually think about this topic a lot. The era of anime that was big in the 90's and early 2000's has all but been forgotten, especially as a lot of older fans have aged out of the scene. It's a problem I don't think you'll see in future generations because society is so much MORE online and anime has gotten so big.

The unfortunate thing is that in 2000 there was so much less anime back then. Not just because of time, but because they were producing less. In the 90's it was possible for an entire season to go by without any new shows. So even in like...2003 it was possible to just watch everything relevant from 1985 to like, 2003 and probably still have seen less than a hundred shows.

That said people still talk about at least one of those.
I like playing a game with myself where I try to pick an anime released the current year that could have been considered an all-time anime classic if it were released in 1999 (à la something like Serial Experiments Lain), but instead was largely ignored because it was released in the 2020s.

Last year's pick was Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I used to love anime back in the 90s and anytime I mention any of it I'm told it's garbage tier. Lol haven't watched anything more recent besides Naruto and Bleach which I'm also told is kinda trash.

Jun 17, 2019
Yeah I really wonder how many think of these old gems. I'm surprised we're not seeing Love Hina, Oh my Goddess, Inuyasha was the shit, Full Metal Alchemist isn't talked about as much, I'm surprised Kalideo Star isn't talked about as much, I know Black Butler still has stuff out there for it merch wise but not a lot talk about it. Like there's a list....

Along with Utena....
MV5BMzVkMTJmNjQtZjY5Yi00OGZjLTkyODUtMTQxMTRkZjg4MzUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

This one influenced a lot of Mecha shows that came after...(I miss kirby Marrow)
71KGkjU9G1L._SL1024_.jpg

And who could forget this one...
MV5BZWI1YmQ1NTItZTlmMy00MTFlLWJkZWMtM2I0MWQ3NWFlM2VjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzExODYzNzc@._V1_.jpg

This show was on everyone's lips for a while.
tenchi_muyo_ova_5.png

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
I find it so odd that people don't talk about Revolutionary Girl Utena anymore.

Especially given it's influences and what it has influenced.

1132579.jpg

Honestly I think this one was incredibly underdiscussed back in the day, I never heard anyone talking about it 20 years ago. Which is a shame, as I think it's on the shortlist for greatest television show ever made. Absolutely astounding framing, composition, and music. Masterpiece.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I remember when Inuyasha was pretty big. I was really young but I think I remember it playing on Adult swim or toonami.
Black Rock Shooter was pretty cool but no one talks about it anymore though idk if it was ever popular in the first place, but I had developed an obsession with Death Master. The OVA version

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
Damn Eureka Seven was so great, yeah it had some stinker episodes but it was such a great anime.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Never thought I would see this show come up, but yes that was a solid one. I wish we got more single run 24 - 26 anime like that instead of the cycle now of have a season, sometimes wait a few years to get a season 2, and then the show vanishes.

Didn't say it before but i rewatched this during the last month or so, finished just a couple of days ago. I really loved it and was again very impressed with the writing and the characters. It does a lot of really good character development and the main characters have really good chemistry and the animation really shines in those small, personal moments. I honestly cried near the end when Pacifica's mother is in the cell next to hers and you immediately recognize her, and seeing her figure out that it's her daughter she's talking to and what a great person she's become gave me a very hard time. But maybe that's just my age.

Last edited:

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People still talk about the ones in the OP lol

True, especially funny when OP's picture for Elfen Lied is a blu-ray of a show from 2004. A lot of the shows being mentioned people still watch but if there's not a lot of people watching them all at once it's not as likely to lead to discussions.

New shows are always going to be more popular but a lot of the shows mentioned are definitely some of the more popular shows from their time still.

Also you've now brought back memories of swapping FMA VCDs in college. Wow.

You were sitll doing VCDs during FMA!? That was very easily available via fansubs digitally at the time already lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to love anime back in the 90s and anytime I mention any of it I'm told it's garbage tier. Lol haven't watched anything more recent besides Naruto and Bleach which I'm also told is kinda trash.
There's a bunch of great stuff being released nowadays, it's just there's so much released, that it's hard to sift through it all. (like most mediums, the majority of releases are trash)

In terms of on-going popular battle shonen, you should just watch Jujutsu Kaisen. It's devoid of creepy fanservice and poor pacing, which is really common in the genre. It's a simple premise with great execution, which would be a nice jumping off point to "get back" into the medium.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
OIP.WF81wzx5yOZzFy_AnFvlGwHaKj

Beck was amazing and more people should talk about Beck. The musical influence across the series was utterly fantastic.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about this, whats worse is when you realise how old some on-going series are. I had a double take a few weeks back when I realised AoT has been going for 8 years now - definitely doesn't feel like it (although in my case, having a kid has made the last 6 years a bit of a blur).

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This was 2003, 2004. Shitty internet!

Fair enough, I already had good enough internet to just download it. (I never did VCDs in the first place tho)

Honestly realizing that most people talking about FMA aren't old enough to have been able to watch it when the original anime aired makes me feel way older than which anime they are talking about.

There's a bunch of great stuff being released nowadays, it's just there's so much released, that it's hard to sift through it all. (like most mediums, the majority of releases are trash)

There was a bunch of trash released back then too it's just people only remember the gems that made it outside of japan (and sometimes the trash that made it out of japan too like elfen lied).

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i paid someone far too much money for badly fansubbed, ultra low-res trigun episodes on CD-Rs due to how shitty my dial-up connection was.

I can't really expect most people to talk about the anime that are my touchstones. Outside of Starblazers and Robotech, my initial experience with anime were late 80s / early 90s OVAs. Maps, Dragon-Half, Green Legend Ran, Lily C.A.T., Super Atragon, etc. Lodoss at least is well known enough to still regularly come up.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
It's wild because I was going to anime cons in the 2000s and so many of these were important back then. I am an old