• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've been playing SAO Alicization Lycoris this past couple weeks (don't judge me), and I've been pleasantly surprised. I've never played the previous SAO games, so I'm not sure if this can be normally seen in this franchise or not.

One of the main things that surprised me is how well-crafted the towns/villages are. Unlike many RPG towns that make no sense with little to no functioning society at all, the villages in AL felt like a real place. There's a sense of danger in the world filled with monsters, so they have walls erected around the houses and buildings, and they stationed a couple of guards at the gate. They also have farms and livestocks just outside the gates, because how would they eat otherwise? This is something that's often missing in a lot of video game villages, even cities. On top of that, the NPCs have their own roles and schedules too, albeit not as complex as Bethesda games. They simply go outside at noon and inside at night. Some are stationed in their workshop/store, some others just idling/walking around, which is still much better than static NPCs.

1tRaVTl.jpg
M7npk09.jpg

And then, we have The Witcher 3 with its glorious cities of Novigrad and Beauclair. On top of its enormous size and countless buildings inside the gate, they also have a well-functioning system with farms and livestocks just outside the city gate.
nDLJW5I.png
U6ooGEe.png

There are also some other great examples, like Elder Scrolls games or more specifically Skyrim. From the starting village of Riverwood to the city of Whiterun, you can easily notice the many functions of the villages/cities, from farmlands to guards at the gates. Each city also has its own specialty and named NPCs which makes them unique. BOTW villages, while not as big as the cities in other games mentioned before, are also pretty great too. Each village has a guard stationed at the front gate, and there are farmlands and livestocks around the area.

What are your favorite well-functioning towns/villages in RPGs? Please provide some context like images/videos if possible.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Dobuita in Shenmue. I prefer II as a game but Dobuita is more of a "living town" as you can speak with every NPC and they each have their own routine.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Witcher 3 is stil the best for me. hopefully soon to be beaten by Cyberpunk

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Radiata Stories on the PS2 was designed around living villages and cities, with multiple characters having varied schedules and tons of exploration. I have many good memories of playing it because of that, great little game with a lot it surprises.

8e06d09bac672dbe9f883c19914ba30c.jpg

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Persona 5 somehow manages to do this in an almost counter-intuitive way - the inhabitants of Tokyo are all weird half-featured ghost people with no eyes, and they're typically not "doing" anything in particular, and yet they're positioned in such a way and populate the environment with such density that they make you feel exactly like you might in a fast-moving urban environment like modern-day Tokyo.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I always felt like FF6, for the limitations of the medium they were working with, had a remarkable sense of place and character for the settlements. Particularly when you revisit South Figaro during the Imperial occupation, or Albrook in the World of Ruin.

Like obviously there's not much in the way of AI routines going and there's a very limited number of sprites to work with, but if you compare it to other classic 16-bit RPGS holy crap does it ever manage to feel way, way more lived-in and active.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Dragon Quest XI towns were pretty good, and each one has its own vibe
Now that you mention it. Dragon Quest XI probably has the bad example of functioning towns.

The towns are hidden behind the walls, but there's nothing in there that can sustain them. There's only buildings in there, no farmlands nor livestocks. My memory is probably failing me, but that's what I remember from DQXI. The towns are "video gamey" if it makes any sense.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
AC games, especially Origins and Odyssey do this really really well.
You'll find brickmakers near a quarry, the brickmaker would then walk to village with bricks and lay it at its place. You'll find clothes being dyed near a river, a stream from the river leading up to a farm or that previous quarry where the brickmaker is making bricks. All of these have lengthy and elaborate animations that have just enough differences between each loop to not exactly feel like a loop. For instance the bricks that brickmaker lays at the end of the loop doesn't disappear into each other but stacks on top of each other.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Persona 5 somehow manages to do this in an almost counter-intuitive way - the inhabitants of Tokyo are all weird half-featured ghost people with no eyes, and they're typically not "doing" anything in particular, and yet they're positioned in such a way and populate the environment with such density that they make you feel exactly like you might in a fast-moving urban environment like modern-day Tokyo.

The problem is the confidants stand at the same exact one or two spots all game waiting for you to come to them like MMO vendors or something.

Kills the sense of a living world for me.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get all that far into Shin Megami Tensei IV but I like the design of that tiered city you start in, where the richer/more important you are, the more centralized you live. it's a fun mish-mash of Japanese and European medieval cultures, too.

Also Kakariko Village in Breath of the Wild has all the necessities for living (fresh water, farms) but the fact it's in a valley also explains why it's one of the few settlements left standing.

2017121018363000-f1c11a22faee3b82f21b330e1b786a39_orig.jpg

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The problem is the confidants stand at the same exact one or two spots all game waiting for you to come to them like MMO vendors or something.
That's true - it's ironic that the most important characters are the ones that act most unnaturally.

It would frankly make more sense in terms of immersion for initiating confidant hangouts to be done entirely over the IM/phone system, since... y'know, that's totally how you'd do it in modern Tokyo.

Unmoses

Mar 22, 2018
Ultima V and later (except 9) had npc schedules and at the time it felt really amazing.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Most towns in the Xenoblade series are pretty good (especially 2). Though Machina towns are pretty lame.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 1 is basically like this.

All NPCs have their schedules and a diverse amount of times in which they are active or not.

Colony 9 is above a lake and IIRC there's a bit of farmland over the bridge that leads to the upper regions. There are NPC guards that have a patrol route.

Colony 6 has you rebuilding it all but as you do, there are farms that are built and there's a small lake in the city. General defenses for the city as well.

Frontier Village has a big reservoir at the bottom of it and a lake at the top. They also manufacture the spore things that are used for food IIRC.

The only one you don't really see this with is Alcamoth but that's because it's supposed to be a fancy high tech city. Though all the NPCs still have various schedules.

Going any further than that would be spoilers though.

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
I think Skryim deserves a shout out. The fields outside Whiterun which have wheat which you can take to the nearby mill and make flour.
It felt so real and immersive when that game first came out.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Radiata Stories is great for this.

God I miss Tri-Ace

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Although maybe not the best example for this thread because of the janky Bethesda NPCs, New Vegas immediately springs to mind for me. For me the quests that deal with the infrastructure of the city, the power struggle of the various gangs, NCR and Mr House and his Securitrons and the NCRs struggle with the drug addict psychos in West Vegas really immersed me in the story of NV and made it feel like a real place.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If you made the villages realistic and capable of supporting themselves, the cultivation fields would be immense (and boring).

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AC Origins did a really good job making the towns feel lived in, can't imagine the man hours it takes

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Although maybe not the best example for this thread because of the janky Bethesda NPCs, New Vegas immediately springs to mind for me. For me the quests that deal with the infrastructure of the city, the power struggle of the various gangs, NCR and Mr House and his Securitrons and the NCRs struggle with the drug addict psychos in West Vegas really immersed me in the story of NV and made it feel like a real place.

Nah, FNV definitely counts. The sense of scale is the real janky part, the AI daily routines and use of world-space work perfectly well, you just have to imagine everything is like... 100-200x the size/population count as depicted.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Radiata Stories on the PS2 was designed around living villages and cities, with multiple characters having varied schedules and tons of exploration. I have many good memories of playing it because of that, great little game with a lot it surprises.

8e06d09bac672dbe9f883c19914ba30c.jpg
Oh boy, Radiata Stories.. what a gem that was. Remake/remaster, pls.

AC games, especially Origins and Odyssey do this really really well.
You'll find brickmakers near a quarry, the brickmaker would then walk to village with bricks and lay it at its place. You'll find clothes being dyed near a river, a stream from the river leading up to a farm or that previous quarry where the brickmaker is making bricks. All of these have lengthy and elaborate animations that have just enough differences between each loop to not exactly feel like a loop. For instance the bricks that brickmaker lays at the end of the loop doesn't disappear into each other but stacks on top of each other.
Indeed, the modern AC games are pretty good at this. The games being set in a real world probably helps too.

But there's a fundamental problem with them, that the NPCs are just.. NPCs.

Xenoblade 1 is basically like this.

All NPCs have their schedules and a diverse amount of times in which they are active or not.

Colony 9 is above a lake and IIRC there's a bit of farmland over the bridge that leads to the upper regions. There are NPC guards that have a patrol route.

Colony 6 has you rebuilding it all but as you do, there are farms that are built and there's a small lake in the city. General defenses for the city as well.

Frontier Village has a big reservoir at the bottom of it and a lake at the top. They also manufacture the spore things that are used for food IIRC.

The only one you don't really see this with is Alcamoth but that's because it's supposed to be a fancy high tech city. Though all the NPCs still have various schedules.

Going any further than that would be spoilers though.
Yup. Xenoblade games are good examples too. The towns are pretty big and they are actually aware of the dangers lurking outside.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rabanastre in FF XII is one of the best cities in any JRPG. It comes damn close to capturing the feeling of a bustling trade hub. And on the PS2 no less

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that you mention it. Dragon Quest XI probably has the bad example of functioning towns.

The towns are hidden behind the walls, but there's nothing in there that can sustain them. There's only buildings in there, no farmlands nor livestocks. My memory is probably failing me, but that's what I remember from DQXI. The towns are "video gamey" if it makes any sense.
Dragon Quest 11 has some of the best JRPG towns around. I agree that they're not realistically functional though.

The Witcher 3 is the gold standard when it comes to believability. I love the outskirts of Novigrad. New Vegas also does good work with the resource network (power plants, food, water) although its sense of scale is way off.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Dobuita in Shenmue. I prefer II as a game but Dobuita is more of a "living town" as you can speak with every NPC and they each have their own routine.
First thing that sprung to mind. Was so fun just watching the NPCs go about their daily lives, seeing where they live etc. And then for those points where you need to find a specific place, and then asking characters that live around the area you are treated to some unique dialogue where they remark on the character/location which I felt was a super cool little attention to detail.
Still have no idea where Nozomi lives though... I assume it's the flower shop? She never leaves the place unless a special scene with her takes place.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Yea,I love just slow walking through well realised towns and cities in games.....Assassin's Creed London and Paris were standouts,Novigrad from The Witcher III was incredible as was Saint Denis in RDR2.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see AC Origins mentioned already, they did a really good job at making the cities and settlements feel realistic and alive. It's especially cool to see all the research that went into everything when you use the Discovery mode.

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 has some fantastic towns. All the townspeople have extremely intricate routines.

Last edited:

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Come: Deliverance did a fantastic job with that.
yeh, they basically gave every NPC a schedule during the day.

in one quest a group of Bandits tells you to meet them at a pub in a few days in a far off town and you can follow them all the way there on foot (it takes a day cycle or two as they are actually walking).

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alicization is such a poor example of a "well functioning town."

I mean, the design of the first town is nice, I guess, but every NPC has literally nothing to say -- unless you were looking to hear "NANI?"

(also because of the terrible renown system, the game encourages you to listen to them say nothing... over and over and over again)

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Assassins Creed Origins is just spectacular at this, seriously. The world crafted for this game amazes me every time. (If only there were any interesting characters to complement the outstanding world design.)

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Glad to see Radiata Stories mentioned (multiple times).

I thought Skyrim and BOTW (although only played about a quarter or so of the latter) did a nice job.

Illusion of Gaia/Time also had surprisingly immersive towns.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Majora's Mask was pretty top notch in this regard. Didn't hurt that they only had to set up NPCs for 72 hours worth of tasking.