• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Here is my non-Sonic contender after hours of deliberation. The ending to Limbo of the Lost:

It is impossible to say what the intention to this crack-cocaine fever dream was -NO context can explain this- but it will shower you with emotions in a way even Z-grade 90s FMV games can´t. Hideaki Anno, Lars von Trier and David Lynch eat your hearts out. 15 years of development (!!!) well spent I say.
Edit: Forgot to mention that the protagonist Benjamin Briggs is an actual 19th-century explorer and captain of the Mary Celeste.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Oh God, I just remembered this existed. It's from an Amiga CD32 game iirc

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Here is my non-Sonic contender after hours of deliberation. The ending to Limbo of the Lost:

It is impossible to say what the intention to this crack-cocaine fever dream was -NO context can explain this- but it will shower you with emotions in a way even Z-grade 90s FMV games can´t. Hideaki Anno, Lars von Trier and David Lynch eat your hearts out. 15 years of development (!!!) well spent I say.
Edit: Forgot to mention that the protagonist Benjamin Briggs is an actual 19th-century explorer and captain of the Mary Celeste.

Hell don't forget the game was pulled from shelves cause it stole assets from other games and just shoved them in there.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how Sonic continues to have diehard fans. The franchise as a whole is just a shitshow most of the time. Like that cutscene honestly looks like a bad fanfiction creation, not something that was actually in a mainline Sonic game. At least Mania exists.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
How does Sega Japan churn out one Sonic turd after another and then a bunch of fans come in and make the best Sonic game ever in Mania?
If this isn't a wakeup for Sega I don't know what would be.

People still buy this crap despite that though. I'm assuming in a world without mania this would probably just slowly damage the Sonic brand (as younger gamers come in and have no attachment to the brand) until he did eventually become irrelevant. Although they used Sonic to chase trends it seems like the core formula (world building and story telling) for the modern games still caters to the worst of the fanbase.

I think what they did with mania shows that his classic form and game formula is simple, cute lovable and timeless, the modern at this point represents everything wrong with the series, they can't escape that.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I don't understand how Sonic continues to have diehard fans. The franchise as a whole is just a shitshow most of the time. Like that cutscene honestly looks like a bad fanfiction creation, not something that was actually in a mainline Sonic game. At least Mania exists.
A franchise that fills a niche will continue to exist regardless of quality unless there is competition

In the last 25 years, Spark the Electric Jester 2 is pretty much the only 3D "not Sonic" game on the market

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This feels a bit like screening a clip from The Room and going "did you SEE all the minor continuity mistakes they made between shots? boy this is laughable!"

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I try not to say this often, but that was actual cringe.

A fucking war scene attempt in a sonic game. Hold me

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
In terms of Sonic, this is far more hilarious.

(This was incredibly hard to find among the sea of terrible meme edits.)

Thank you for posting this. I'm not kidding when I say this might be my favorite Sonic cutscene of all time, and definitely among my favorite cutscenes in general. I hated Silver so much that it was just incredibly cathartic to watch Shadow smack his dumb ass to the ground like it was nothing.

Silver's not as bad as these days, but god, his debut couldn't have been more poorly handled. Kinda reminds me of Axl's introduction in Mega Man X7, actually, just even worse.

As for the topic itself, that's a really good one OP but I'm not sure anything can ever out-hilarious/out-cringe this "universally" "beloved" "gem":