• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I actually prefer Option C: pick out and buy the parts and then let someone else build it. There is a local computer store that will build it all for you for a relatively (to me anyways) good price. I think when I'm ready for a new PC I'm going to go that route as you still get to customize exactly what you want but then can let someone else do the work for you.
That's what NZXT does you can pick all of your components and they will build it for you. I picked up one of their refurbished builds, but they tell you every component that's in their builds.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough the build was a 3900x build. I don't know if the issues were from AMD or judt random hardware failue, but my last two Intel builds did not have any problems like this.

It was technically $2,259, but i added taxes and shipping.
Part list if curious.

• NZXT H710I (WHITE) CASE
  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) MOBO
  • INTEL CORE I9-9900K 8-CORE 3.6 GHZ CPU
  • NZXT KRAKEN X72 CPU COOLER
  • MSI RTX™ 2080 SUPER VENTUS XS OC GPU
  • TEAM T-FORCE XCALIBUR RGB 4000MHZ (2) RAM
  • SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1.0 TB SSD
  • NZXT E850 GOLD DIGITAL PSU PSU
  • NZXT AER F 140 FAN (GREY) 3 FAN
  • NZXT AER RGB 2 120MM FAN (RGB) FAN
  • NZXT USB EXPANSION
I'm just used to building my own now. Nice rig.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have any problems with the computers I built myself.

It was the fresh-out-of-the-box monitor that had all the issues.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Personally I like the tinkering and problem solving process

Last 3 builds I've done went off without a hitch, though

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
I'll tell you what feels better than building a PC and having it immediately work perfectly: building a PC and forgetting to connect power to CPU, despairing for five minutes, then realising the mistake and having it then immediately work perfectly.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough the build was a 3900x build. I don't know if the issues were from AMD or judt random hardware failue, but my last two Intel builds did not have any problems like this.

It was technically $2,259, but i added taxes and shipping.
Part list if curious.

• NZXT H710I (WHITE) CASE
  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) MOBO
  • INTEL CORE I9-9900K 8-CORE 3.6 GHZ CPU
  • NZXT KRAKEN X72 CPU COOLER
  • MSI RTX™ 2080 SUPER VENTUS XS OC GPU
  • TEAM T-FORCE XCALIBUR RGB 4000MHZ (2) RAM
  • SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1.0 TB SSD
  • NZXT E850 GOLD DIGITAL PSU PSU
  • NZXT AER F 140 FAN (GREY) 3 FAN
  • NZXT AER RGB 2 120MM FAN (RGB) FAN
  • NZXT USB EXPANSION

This is actually a pretty good build for the price. Doing some quick pricing on parts individual (not taking random sales into account), OP did not get scammed or anything.

If anything they came out slightly ahead of getting everything on their own.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I have been building my own systems since 1989 and not once has a computer ever not started for me or just not worked. If you can put together a set of Lego's you can build a PC.

Glad you are happy though OP.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is how I felt going from my computer I've hard for 12 years running Windows XP to my laptop in 2014. Then I upgraded to a SSD and the computer feels brand new again.

I can't wait until 2024 or 2026 when it will be around time to get a newer computer. But I'm wondering if I will even need to since I don't really play games when I'm on a computer.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I actually prefer Option C: pick out and buy the parts and then let someone else build it. There is a local computer store that will build it all for you for a relatively (to me anyways) good price. I think when I'm ready for a new PC I'm going to go that route as you still get to customize exactly what you want but then can let someone else do the work for you.
Worst of both worlds IMO.

Putting stuff together takes like an hour tops most of the time, especially nowadays.

The problem is if you get something bad and the troubleshooting to figure out what, and waiting for a return/RMA, etc. Or if you get some weird system problem you have to narrow down what the problem is. Doing it this way doesn't help you with any of that.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I have been building my own systems since 1989 and not once has a computer ever not started for me or just not worked. If you can put together a set of Lego's you can build a PC.

Glad you are happy though OP.

This is great until you run into issues. My first build (around 10 years ago), I ran into issues of random crashing, and had minimal ways to troubleshoot hardware and diagnose at home. I wound up taking it to a local shop where they were able to determine it was a bad PSU, and replaced that from there, but had I not done that it literally could have been the CPU, the Motherboard, or the PSU. With parts all purchased online, would have been annoying to swap out each individual component, not to mention the time spent, so I can see the appeal of having an OEM build it for you and have them to contact and be held responsible for anything going wrong, especially for people where time is more valuable than money.

I still reccomend building, especially if you have a local community or stores that can assist should anything go wrong, as I think its a great learning experience that can create a new passion and hobby, but I am sick of the "if you can build a lego set, you can build a PC" mentality because 90% of the time, that's true, but the extra 10% where something goes wrong you have to be ready to troubleshoot which most people aren't even equipped to do effectively.

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
I really enjoyed buying a built PC when I was younger!
But nowadays I just build them myself and it's really fun, also quite cheaper many times and the feeling I get when I turn the machine on and it works is always fantastic. I'd love to be able to build laptops too someday, that would be so interesting, with so many possible customization options, hmm...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I will be buying a new one in a few months.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
You kids with your plug and play and store bought computers that work right out of the box.

Try networking a computer on Windows 3.1 or creating a boot disk just to get the game you bought to run.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Only really ever had one problem with my current pc (also my first build). My ps4 pro has blue screened more then this thing lol

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Yep I'm building a PC as well.

I plan on getting a 1080Ti due to budget reasons but also because I don't care about ray tracing or resolution. I just want smooth a 1080p 120fps experience.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The two problems I had in 2016 were faulty parts sadly. First fault was the PSU went up in literal smoke right when I turned it on for the first time, was scary, turned that off quick and got a replacement.
Second was it wouldn't wake from sleep 70% of the time. Didn't fixed this one right away, had the problem for years. Turned out it was faulty ram and now it's fixed.

Now it's been problem free since last year heh.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Never had an issue with building myself. My last build took less than an hour from scratch. Then another 2 weeks optimizing the over clocks lol

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'll tell you what feels better than building a PC and having it immediately work perfectly: building a PC and forgetting to connect power to CPU, despairing for five minutes, then realising the mistake and having it then immediately work perfectly.
I actually did that with my second build. My dad and i were freaking out why it wasn't starting up and we had it plugged in the wrong spot. My dad thought we could just plug it anywhere and it would work so we didn't bother reading the manual.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Had to do that for doom. Crazy how far we've come
Back in our day a store bought computer meant you were going to get some barely working Packard Bell or even worse an eMachines POS. A Dell or Gateway was considered good back then!

Honestly this is far better. I am glad that future generations will never know those horrors. It will make them soft and weak, but no one that lives through hard times is happier for it.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A better feeling is when nothing works right away, so you're freaking out and frantically Google searching a bunch of esoteric error codes for an hour, then you find out you just had to push the RAM in a little more. So much relief.

Oct 27, 2017
Having bought and built many PCs over decades, yes it's great when things just flat-out work. Especially at the start. And also later when you get that new storage drive/joystick/controller/etc. and they just work. I've had my share of RMAs and sub-optimal performing packages, and those are no fun and still frustrate to this day.

But when it comes to games that are not available on PC and are exclusive to other platforms, I've learned to...uh...console myself.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Lol, you played yourself mate.
Maybe, but i couldn't take the bullshit anymore i would have lost my mind otherwise.
I'm downgrading my CPU, but 8 cores 16 threads should be more than enough for next gen if all i'm doing is gaming on it. I'm just mad i spent that much money only to do it again 6 months later. :/

Completely ruined my plans to get a next gen 3000 series GPU. :( Hopefully prices will be reasonable this time around.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best feelings ever is when you build a computer and it comes to life.
Same. It was one of the most rewarding things I'd done and my build's still going strong 6 years later (with a few upgrades to parts of course). Only thing that was sort of an issue for a few months was a BSOD every couple of months but that was because of some bad RAM sticks, haven't had one since I swapped.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I built my first PC a couple months ago and also didn't have any issues.

My palms were sweating hard when waiting to post

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
it's always a hassle to setup windows like you want. Generally speaking you have to disable many things, because windows became practically a malware software and you habe to install mandantory alternative programs like browsers, media players, pdf reader, image viewer and many more. Installs and updates are also very inconvenient in windows.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I've built 3 pcs in the past. It's really easy and not a big deal but the one I have now is an Alienware and I love it. I even got a warranty that was really cheap for 5 years. In the 3rd month the power supply was making noise so I contacted them and they sent a dude to replace it for me a few days later. It was amazing not having to go through the rma process.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
Sex? Cold, salted pizza when you're too lazy to cook on a Saturday morning after a hard work week? Watching a modern sequel to a thing you were super nostalgic about decades ago that somehow sticks the landing*?

-No crashes
-No Random BSODs
-HDR toggle works just fine and doesn't black out or error/glitch
-No Screen blackouts every god damn minute

Shit. Just. Works as it was supposed to. $2,400 spent just to have a functioning computer and i'm not even mad i'm just happy to be able to game in peace. I'm hoping didn't jinx myself and this isn't the honeymoon phase. :/

PC Era. Has your first day with your brand new computers ever been this positive? Problem free? Never building again.

You shouldn't be getting crashes and random OS hangs or multiple screen blackouts per hour on a five-year-old machine, much less a new one. If you're experiencing any of that, you're getting product from a shit company. My laptop from 2012, purchased refurbished in 2014, finally had a hardware fault last week (won't boot from the SSD, regardless of BIOS settings, though system and drive is fine if I boot from USB). Before that, maybe I'd see the laptop accidentally shut itself down when it's supposed to be suspending two or three times a year. That problem is unacceptable for a first-run machine, but I took the hit because it was a cheap $400 refurb. My work machine is from 2008, and it has occasional app crashes and is stubborn to boot up sometimes. That's a reasonable age to start having problems.

Don't have low standards for your computer to the point that a basic, functioning machine is something to celebrate.

<everybody chatting about DIY>

I actually just threw together a R5-2600+RX5700 mini-ITX gaming machine for my living room (cpu/mobo/ram/ssd cribbed from a previous machine), specifically because I needed something that would fit inside one of those 14" cube storage cabinets. Magically, it has absolutely no issues with heat and gives me joy for messing a bit with VR and reading comic books on a living room wall. But the experience and a bunch of posts in this thread really, really makes me wish that there were options for modular laptops. I don't need a laptop to be as thin as a layer of graphene and as light as aerogel (I have a Chromebook for that), but I would super love to pull out the graphics module of my notebook or the cpu/mainboard module and swap in new parts or maybe even just order a bunch of parts separately and fit them together for a new portable build. Alas, my desires are cretaceous.

* Looking at you, Keanu

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I would be pretty pissed if my pre-built didn't work perfectly right out of the box tbh. But I've never bought a pre-built because nothing beats the satisfaction of building your own shit from ground up.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand but I much prefer one I built myself posting immediately when I turn it on.

I just built my current PC about a month ago and the first time I attempted to power it on, it didn't and the only reason was because the wire for the power switch was slightly loose. I fixed that and it POSTed right after that. Felt really good.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I had no issues with my Intel build a few years back. Last year I built a Ryzen 3600 system and had a ton of issues. Mosty due to AMDs shit drivers. It's much better now, but it was awful in the beginning.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I had no issues with my Intel build a few years back. Last year I built a Ryzen 3600 system and had a ton of issues. Mosty due to AMDs shit drivers. It's much better now, but it was awful in the beginning.
Same thing with a 3900x and i had nothing but problems with it. :/ It's a shame because when it was working it was a beast for gaming, but things got progressively worse with it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just mad i spent that much money only to do it again 6 months later.
I don't understand this thread. You had a faulty component on a 6 month old build and bought an entirely new computer?
Why not get the part replaced under warranty? What are you doing with the old build?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
NZXT BLD. Good choice. They're who I recommend to people that can't or have no desire to build their own.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I always build myself and had none of those problems ever so far. It's like Lego and I buy components that will work together so gonna save a ton of money every time.
this.

Made lots of pc's in my time for me and my friends and never run into these issue's. like the only thing you can mess up these days and thrmal paste and you have to trying to mess it up.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I actually did that with my second build. My dad and i were freaking out why it wasn't starting up and we had it plugged in the wrong spot. My dad thought we could just plug it anywhere and it would work so we didn't bother reading the manual.

The pins are keyed they can only go one way into one slot...

I've also forgot to put the CPU power pin in though. Had actually started an RMA when I realized it.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I'm not sure I've seen a single BSOD in YEARS and I hardly ever experience most of the issue the OP is talking about, but yeah, a new PC is nice.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
What I like is taking my existing hard drive, dropping it into the new machine, booting it up and having it all up and running again in the space of a few minutes. Just now with a bit of added oomph.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 2006 I had a Rosewill power supply arc right in front of my face when I was testing my components before closing everything up.

That's the only RMA I've ever done for anything. It's also the last time I bought anything that had Rosewill in the name.

As for BSOD... I see that usually when I'm tryingnto find a stable overclock for my CPU or I mess with the registry and royally fuck something up.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
In 2006 I had a Rosewill power supply arc right in front of my face when I was testing my components before closing everything up.

That's the only RMA I've ever done for anything. It's also the last time I bought anything that had Rosewill in the name.

As for BSOD... I see that usually when I'm tryingnto find a stable overclock for my CPU or I mess with the registry and royally fuck something up.
Oh God I'm glad you were okay. My first build had a rosewell psu and that was one of the first components I replaced with a Seasonic X gold psu. That one lasted me a good while.