• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded of the eugenics guy in RDR2. He's the only character in the game, aside from Klansman, that you can't beat the shit out of and not be docked honor points. You can even beat him down in front of cops and they aren't bothered by it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
At this point the new york times know what they are doing

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just that not enough content is getting sent to the NYT Opinion section, that they have to run garbage like this to fill page space?

I understand that they want it to be an open forum, but this is trash.

Why don't we start an NYT Opinion submission thread?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
At this point the new york times know what they are doing

Yup.

1)Put up hottake unbeacoming of the paper but its in it's "opinion" section so its all good, "Jailing people is good! Keeps the poors off the street and keeps us safe from those savages"

2)Editors dance in glee that its gone viral

3)Posts a pseudo apology if the blowback is really bad (*oh noes, there's a cancel nyt post going viral*) but hopefully put up a rebuttal that will go viral on its own

4)Rinse/Repwat. Bret, Bari, Brooks go meet in a bar somewhere in celebration and puts the tab on the company card.

Only thing I hope is the real reporters just glue their keyboards and throw away their food in the fridge. What's offensive isn't their conservative takes, but how shitty and clickbait it is.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
When are we going to be finished hearing about "Which race is best?" It's almost 2020. Can we be done? Please?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really nice to open twitter and see everyone talking about the genetic traits of Jews.
Thanks NYT, that's a healthy debate that all Jews are super happy we're having right now.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

NY Times is beyond saving. There's no hope there or in the rest of the msm. Give up.

The NY Times is very aware that Bret Stephens writes garbage. They also know angry liberals will click it. That's the business model.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
so the Jews think better, are rich and powerful. and they're also corrupt and evil and are planning our downfall.
what comes next, fellow crazy\paranoid white person?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

Holy fuck

How do so many "educated" dolts spout this shit with seeming zero clue that "is =\= ought". Just because we observe or don't observe something in nature, doesn't meant that it should/shouldn't exist in our society. Sports and fried food don't exist in nature, yet we don't constantly run around concern trolling ourselves about their "unnatural" existence. (Also, homosexuality has been observed in animals so it isn't even correct on its face)

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
who tf is actually paying for these columns.

even if you wanted to read on it so you can dunk on it on Twitter, just use the anonymous browser thing. don't give them your money to read some crazy nazi stuff.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This most annoying thing isn't the race science (which is bad) but how fucking dumb and lazy bret is. He is a profoundly stupid man and disproves his own racist thesis

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
who tf is actually paying for these columns.

even if you wanted to read on it so you can dunk on it on Twitter, just use the anonymous browser thing. don't give them your money to read some crazy nazi stuff.
You'd be surprised how popular eugenics is with rich people on the UES. They view it as "common sense" and invite Epstein and Steven Pinker to all their parties. They use it to assuage their guilt for their opulence

Oct 26, 2017
No one, no one should forget that it was the NYTimes that first gave credence and exposure to the IDW in the mainstream media.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I just read the piece, and I'm struggling to find a eugenics component to it. Stephens says/does some dumb shit, but this was a meandering "say nothing" bit for the most part. If anything, he said Ashkenazi Jews' success is attributed to a sort of thinking tradition - not pure intellectual might.
I do always enjoy Jews writing about how great they are, though. :)

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I just read the piece, and I'm struggling to find a eugenics component to it. Stephens says/does some dumb shit, but this was a meandering "say nothing" bit for the most part. If anything, he said Ashkenazi Jews' success is attributed to a sort of thinking tradition - not pure intellectual might.

Did you not read any of the thread or critiques of the column?

Oct 25, 2017

Citing an article co-authored by a White Nationalist that was published in a journal that was historically called "The Eugenics Review", is a bit of an eugenics component, don't you think?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Did you not read any of the thread or critiques of the column?

I did, but...

Citing an article co-authored by a White Nationalist that was published in a journal that was historically called "The Eugenics Review", is a bit of an eugenics component, don't you think?

This piece actually doesn't agree with that source? It's shaky to cite anything from it, but maybe that's where the ending anti-Semitism bit comes from...no idea. The whole thing is largely sloppily written, but he diverges from the "Jews do better because they're smarter" argument in presenting his own explanation.

Oct 25, 2017
This piece actually doesn't agree with that source? It's shaky to cite anything from it, but maybe that's where the ending anti-Semitism bit comes from...no idea. The whole thing is largely sloppily written, but he diverges from the "Jews do better because they're smarter" argument in presenting his own explanation.

It seems that we agree that the article is meandering and poorly written; I am confused why you would feel so confident pinning down the precise message of the piece. Usually when bad writers play with fire nothing good comes of it.

To me, especially when placed in context of Stephens' larger body of work, it seems likely that the article intentionally contains enough hedges and muddies the waters enough to allow Stephens to make his point but have plausible deniability. It's part of his cycle. Next he will be aghast at his critics and he will use that trumped up outrage as cover to move the ball even further down field.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
It seems that we agree that the article is meandering and poorly written; I am confused why you would feel so confident pinning down the precise message of the piece. Usually when bad writers play with fire nothing good comes of it.

To me, especially when placed in context of Stephens' larger body of work, it seems likely that the article intentionally contains enough hedges and muddies the waters enough to allow Stephens to make his point but have plausible deniability. It's part of his cycle. Next he will be aghast at his critics and he will use that trumped up outrage as cover to move the ball even further down field.

Well there is no precise message/purpose - the damn thing ends on some weird cliffhanger. It's like a paper I'd write in 8th grade. However it's clear to me that he was trying to move away from genetic superiority in the text.

It's actually the subheading, "It's not about having higher I.Q.s." Then again, maybe you're right, as he seems to possibly buy into the results from that study. Nevermind that IQ is a highly flawed, biased measurement.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Well there is no precise message/purpose - the damn thing ends on some weird cliffhanger. It's like a paper I'd write in 8th grade. However it's clear to me that he was trying to move away from genetic superiority in the text.

It's actually the subheading, "It's not about having higher I.Q.s." Then again, maybe you're right, as he seems to possibly buy into the results from that study. Nevermind that IQ is a highly flawed, biased measurement.
It's almost like he wants the reader to start "asking questions". The sort that take them down a rabbit hole where you engage the other works if he and his co-authors.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
As my son says "It's never a good thing when Jews are trending" and he's right. We don't need more reasons for people to hate us.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He uncritically inserts white supremacist eugenics views in his article and treats those views as legitimate. That's the eugenics component. Not to mention that he has a history of this shit (literally wrote an article about "the disease of the Arab mind"

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the New York Times. Any paper advertising literal Eugenics, in whatever fucking form, deserves to be thrown into the trash.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
What next NY times? An opinion on why African Americans are predisposed to violence and sexing white women?