• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am well off but get angery at myself when I see others who are close in age and are past my place in life. I finished college much later than I planned which kept my career stalled until I finished it.

To most I would be considered very successful but I know I could be a VP today if I had not screwed up in my 20s. It really misses me off that I slacked off during that time of my life

Dec 13, 2017
The wife and I are planning on going to Japan within the next few years, so it's coming up, but I just got married last year, looking to buy our first house later this year...so lots of big purchases coming down the pipeline quickly and if there's anything that gives me anxiety it's spending money.

I literallyt just got married at the beginning of the year and bought house 6 months before our marriage, so I'm fucking right there with you man.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
When I was poor, truly poor I didn't have enough time or energy to give a damn about anyone else's financial situation.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Not gunna lie this made me a little jealous, lol. 6 weeks a year is insane! I'm self-employed so any time off has to be incredibly planned way well in advance and calculated and even then I've had a couple trips fall last minute because of work. I can't complain too much though because the work pays for the house and stuff.

I used to be self-employed for a while, so I understand your pain about wanting a break. But you do have a good attitude about it.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't get jealous of people having nice things, but I have been jealous of how easy some people in my life seem to have it.
The last few years had been tough. Was let go from a banking job after our 2nd was only 5 months old, struggled to get on our feet, luckily had credit cards to stay in our house. Unemployed 2 months, started working at a place, was left a "time bomb" for lack of any other way to call it from the person who's role I took over as she left hurriedly, was unemployed 4 months this time, took up a part time job at a gas station, worked a HVAC office job and kept the part time so my typical work day was 7AM-5, 6-12AM for about 2 years. Found a job at an office that I can walk to from home, dug out enough to quit the 2nd job, paid off most debts and currently can actually enjoy my 2 daughters, and help my wife with our newborn at nights when I'm home.

During that, my brother in law got 10k in inheritance , threw 2 into bitcoin and pulled out with 70k. We received similar, but it went to bills because that was where we were at. Him and his wife were also the type that found a home they wanted to live in and had the sellers reduce the price for them because they liked them, that kind of stuff. I have no animosity towards the brother and his wife but my wife and I just would kind of throw our hands up at how things happened to be handed to him.

I was in a shitty place, and depressed. I'm glad I was able to crawl out of it and be present and around for my family and actually you know enjoy life. I don't get jealous of that stuff anymore, I just tell myself if I work hard, I can reward myself and eventually get whatever it was that I wanted.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
people who upgrade their computer like every year

just seems like a waste, but who am i to judge

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I don't get jealous much by possessions, more like the time people have to enjoy themselves and travel and all of that. I get jealous of people who've been to Japan, Italy, other places in the world I haven't been able to go to yet.

Yeah, same here. Stuff is just stuff, I'm happy with the stuff I have, it's experiences like travel that I really wish I could do. Doesn't make me angry/jealous like OP but more reminds me that at some point I need to find a way to get out there and experience more of the world.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get irritated when everybody's response to problems is "go to your doctor" like I ain't been to a doctor in 10+ years because my parents are shit and either don't have insurance or are covered by Medicaid and Obamacare's "child-gets-coverage-until-26-or-whatever" doesn't cover that.

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
Hell no! We've made the choice of letting my wife stay at home with the kids as long as possible while we struggle on just my salary. That's on us though, nobody else.

Besides, there is nothing that stresses me out more than owning a bunch of stuff. I wish we could just sell everything and live without being tied down by possessions. Maybe in the future when the kids are older.... (right)

You guys spend your money as you want to. (But if you've got tons of it, may I suggest giving some of it to charities?)

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I'll get a little jealous, yes, because this struggling isn't even by me making bad choice, but a fallout of my parent's divorce, but I try to reassure me that all will pass and one day I'll enjoy the fruits of my work. Nothing is eternal, after all, and money comes and goes.

It motivates me to do my best at work and not risk it at all. There are people in a far worse situation than me.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
A little bit. Mostly just get annoyed at my own lack of direction and motivation, because I could be so much more, but I can't deny getting a little frazzled at how casual some people make big purchases sound.

At the same time, there's a bit of pride in that whatever meagre things I have are mine and mine alone. I earned my shit and I'm happy about that.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
I get a little jealous.But I'm not not hating on them, I actually like seeing stuff like that.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Hell no! We've made the choice of letting my wife stay at home with the kids as long as possible and struggle on just my salary. That's on us though, nobody else.

This was also the hardest pill for me to swallow. Our mother in law watched our first for free, but we noticed she started acting differently, my mother in law is very much a mother hen/stifles courage type. When we had our second we were financially stable and my wife quit and became a travel agent at home (instead of at AAA). This did not pan out in the least and her broker was basically robbing peter to pay paul with agent commissions, but she was in Seattle and we were in Annapolis and basically broke. I bucked up, took the second job and hopped on the struggle bus for 2 years. Our third is 3 weeks old and we're finally in a good spot. She changed brokers and is actually getting paid and I'm in the best office I've ever worked in.

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Not in the least. I've never really been one for objects, especially. I mean, there are things I have and enjoy, but I also understand that nothing lasts forever. I believe that's a Buddhist thing, but it reminds you to look at everything as something that will one day no longer even exist. Why get worked up over it?

That said, I grew up very poor. And when I had nothing, I did feel that way. I guess like a lot of things, I think it has to be learned.

I feel like this reads a bit hypocritical, and hope no one takes it that way. I guess I'm trying to say, I totally get why someone would feel this way, but I'm lucky enough that I no longer do. I hope that makes sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I do. I'll admit it. Sometimes its interesting to see a rare piece of old computer equipment or a really unique setup. Other times, I hit the ignore user button after someone posts their "humble" setup with a pristine room, leather furniture, oled and premium consoles. Its a humblebrag, own it.

This isn't the fault of the majority of those sharing their pick ups or setups, its cool to be proud of your refuge or finds and please post away. Everyone is welcome here, poor, middle class and well off. Its a personal problem, a I get jealous, then self critical, then angry or depressed. I stay out those threads now after a few days where I went home and then went to bed.

So, anyway, anyone else?

I do sometimes feel a bit bad whenever someone has one of those 'how is your life going'. Style posts, I think ya know maybe my life isn't 100% where I want it to be, and then I see people with much harder struggles than myself, than I wonder did what I wrote come off bragging?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Couple of things i've learned in my almost 50(!) years on this planet.

1. There will always be people wealthier than you, no matter how rich or successful you are.

2. Almost everyone has shit they are dealing with, wealthy or not. I know a number of stupidly wealthy people that have some problems I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

A screenshot into someone's life doesn't even come close to knowing who they are or the issues they deal with.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Nah, i like seeing all that stuff. Actually a lot of "pick up" thread posts are interesting things (beside gaming stuff) and not just boxes with Rolex watches or Bugatti Chirons.

But then again I'm doing good in life (not rich or anything) and would maybe see things different if my life was a constant struggle.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL

1. There will always be people wealthier than you, no matter how rich or successful you are.

2. Almost everyone has shit they are dealing with, wealthy or not. I know a number of stupidly wealthy people that have some problems I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

A screenshot into someone's life doesn't even come close to knowing who they are or the issues they deal with.
Posts like this are why I can't wait to get a little older. I'm almost 31 and already think this way for the most part, but this mindset seems peaceful as hell. Can't wait for that salt and pepper wisdom.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Not really. But I do want the newest Kamen Rider toys but, I have obligations to get done with frist.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. If anything, I've been downsizing over the years. Possessions don't make me happy.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I was happy when I finally bought a used car from this decade before I wandered into the car topic. Immediate deflation.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care lol. My background is hilarious. Wealthy family until I was a teenager, then family went bankrupt and we were almost homeless. They/we struggled to get by ever since, there were no savings or retirement plans.

I had to take time off after HS before going to college to save up a little and other BS. When I see people who are well off I just want to have what they have too. Now I'm working my ass to get there myself, and on top of that do what I enjoy.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
No. Usually speaking those who surround themselves with possessions often do so to compensate for a void in their life.

I'm not about being jealous of other people's masqueraded misery.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I'm happy for them.
Sometimes people who really have their stuff together (not money wise cause I don't care about that but life wise) makes me a bit sad but never jealous.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never ignored anyone for it, but I do get jealous, yeah. But...

... I usually remember stuff like this, realize my jealousy is unfounded, and move on.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Nope. I like seeing people being exited about something they got. Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic. Me not having much money at all is completely unrelated.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
There's always going to be someone out there with more than you but guess what? There's even more people who have less and will never be able to obtain some of the shiny stuff you already do have.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get envious of other people's possessions, though I do get envious sometimes when people post pictures of themselves with a beautiful partner. I know I can save up to buy something nice, but meeting someone great is a lot harder.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I get extremely jealous and depressed. Because i know i am destined for mediocrity, and will never have the things that others have. I work my ass off, but sometimes people are just going to have the life they have, and dont hit the luck lottery, no matter how hard they go. It is something i am slowly accepting, and working to be happy with what i have.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
there is more to life than having a nice setup, it gives you happiness for a short time but long lasting happiness comes from what you can't buy

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little envious, rather than jealous, but I honestly don't get salty about it because through family or their own hard work, they're able to enjoy those luxuries.

SM0KE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just thankful for the things that I have and that I have never gone hungry.

I don't really give an arse about jewelry, boats, fine dining, expensive booze, fancy cars or other flossy stuff though.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, i'm not the kind to want things in general... i also make sure to always keep an eye on sales of all kinds and that's a fun of its own kind.

Personally it's more about actually systematic things, like access to transportation/education/private medicine/healthy food/influence that's a function of upper class/political reach. I can't count on my own two hands the number of events/workshops/opportunities i've missed because i wasn't able to afford access.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Posts like this are why I can't wait to get a little older. I'm almost 31 and already think this way for the most part, but this mindset seems peaceful as hell. Can't wait for that salt and pepper wisdom.

More salt than pepper, but it also comes from raising 2 teenagers who deal with these issues among their peers.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
No, I'm glad that people can afford to buy nice things. I wish I could afford the things I want/ need, but I definitely wouldn't want any of it at the cost of other people's happiness.

They should enjoy themselves, and I try to enjoy myself.

Besides I probably have more colored pencils than them :P

ibu

Oct 28, 2017
I respect those that work hard for what they get. They're proud of what they get and I don't see them sharing what they've acquired as a reason to feel salty.

Mildly envious, sure.

But that's merely more encouragement to go out and work hard for what I'd like in life.

Nothing wrong with that. Props to hard grafters.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that you're posting on this board, there's a high chance there will be millions of people who are better off than you......and billions who aren't.

Try to keep that in perspective.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I get jealous about people who have their lives set up. I dream about the day I have a well paying job and my own home with comfortable living. But good for the people who have it made. One day I will.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I had to stop looking at the monthly pick-ups thread because I was just disappointed with myself, not mad at anybody else.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It did 5 years ago when I was barely staying a float working a full time job, but it just further motivated me to save up my limited funds to get back to school, finish my diploma, and find a good paying job which I'm about 2 weeks away from doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.