• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Outside of the burn in threat which is way more long term, I've run into two problems.

1. The automatic brightness limiter when using HDR on PC is annoying, even with dynamic tone mapping disabled. This seems to be an issue for LG's TVs across models.

2. The horizontal banding is really bad when there's a solid color on screen (extremely noticeable during stretching for Ring Fit Adventure, because I'm standing a bit closer to the tv). I hear conflicting information on whether a good panel can mitigate this, or if I return it I should get a completely different tv.

Should I suck it up? Get another CX? Or get an entirely new TV?

ShOcKwAvE

Oct 27, 2017
Carlsbad, CA
I don't recommend playing the "panel lottery". It's a lot of effort to exchange it and hope that it works out.

You sure the color-banding isn't some configuration setting that needs tweaking? I don't know the CX well but in my experience, color depth and RGB limited/full settings can affect banding.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If your retailer allows, I'd return your current one and exchange for a new one. If it continues to have issues with your use case scenario, return for a full refund and go with a different model.

I own an LG CX that meets my personal needs and doesn't have any apparent flaws or defects, but it sounds like the issues you are describing might be defects. The CX is an excellent TV/display when it doesn't have issues, IMO, so I'd at least give it an exchange before a full refund and different model tryout.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

LG 2017-2024 OLEDs - Optimized Settings for Xbox One/Series X|S, PS4/PS5, Switch, PC and webOS/Movies (SDR, HDR, DV) Sony - Microsoft - Tech

Hello everyone, I would like to share my FINAL set of Optimized Settings for all LG OLEDs from 2017 to 2024 Series for both SDR / HDR / DOLBY VISION Movies & TV Shows + Xbox One/Series X|S , PC, PS4/PS5 and Switch gaming with the best PQ and lowest Input-Lag results possible (from 4ms to 21ms...

check this thread out OP. I suspect a few settings tweaks here and there may help resolve your issues, or at the very least confirm that you may have defects that might warrant a replacement.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I say suck it up. The burn in issues are overblown.

I would try to read to see if there are manual settings you can change to help improve the issues you see, but IMO this is the best TV out there for gaming right now.

If you think these are legit defects and you got it from a legit place then LG should be able to help in some way. At least send a tech your way to check it out.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. The automatic brightness limiter when using HDR on PC is annoying, even with dynamic tone mapping disabled. This seems to be an issue for LG's TVs across models.

This is a function of all OLEDs (at least 2020 and prior. IDK about 2021 models) to minimize burn-in risk. Higher brightness = more heat = faster degradation of organic pixel components = faster burn-in.

OP
OP
Regiruler

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I don't recommend playing the "panel lottery". It's a lot of effort to exchange it and hope that it works out.

You sure the color-banding isn't some configuration setting that needs tweaking? I don't know the CX well but in my experience, color depth and RGB limited/full settings can affect banding.
I'll try poking at the settings more tonight to confirm it's not a configuration issue, but it seemed somewhat similar to the problems mentioned in this video (I have a 65", lending a bit of credence to the idea that larger ones are more susceptible).

If I was to go panel lottery I'd probably only go in once, if that. Only thing keeping it as a consideration is that I've gotten familiar with the tv, so getting a CX with less noticeable banding would lean me in towards keeping it.

This is a function of all OLEDs (at least 2020 and prior. IDK about 2021 models) to minimize burn-in risk. Higher brightness = more heat = faster degradation of organic pixel components = faster burn-in.
That wouldn't surprise me, which is why I'm leaning towards a LED if I get a different tv.

Last edited:

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the burn in threat which is way more long term, I've run into two problems.

2. The horizontal banding is really bad when there's a solid color on screen (extremely noticeable during stretching for Ring Fit Adventure, because I'm standing a bit closer to the tv). I hear conflicting information on whether a good panel can mitigate this, or if I return it I should get a completely different tv.

The ABL is a trade off for having perfect blacks and the amazing contrast that OLEDs have.You generally won't see it in movies, tv, or games but it is an issue for desktop usage. I would not use an OLED as a PC monitor if this bothers you.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
If the banding is too bad, contact LG for a panel replacement asap.

I had heavy banding on my C8 and wasn't sure if it is normal and if I should just accept it. I contacted the support, they asked for pictures, they sent a technician to my place who already had a new panel with him even though he still had to confirm the banding first hand, he immediately swapped the panel.

The new panel is almost perfect now, never notice banding in real use. Also own a C9 now which also barely has any banding. You are NOT supposed to just accept a bad panel!

I personally never notice ABL on both my sets which is weird cause I usually always notice that kind of stuff.

OddSock

Oct 27, 2017
South Africa
I have a C9, and I hated my first set. Had vertical Grey banding that drove me nuts. Returned it for a new set and was delighted with the second one.

I seldom notice ABL at work, but I have turned off peak brightness and tweaked contrast (and everything else) to my liking.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I got lucky with my set and have no issues with it even when I went looking for them. I hate the panel lottery.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I get you OP, it sucks buying a fairly expensive piece of tech and find a flaw that you just can't seem to overlook, it'll be annoying for a while. I'd recommend exchanging it for another unit and seeing whether that new one is fine before going for a full refund.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Love my CX! The few issues that I experienced were fixed by firmware and now I cannot go back. To OP, if you are not happy... then don't insist with the product.

OP
OP
Regiruler

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
If the banding is too bad, contact LG for a panel replacement asap.

I had heavy banding on my C8 and wasn't sure if it is normal and if I should just accept it. I contacted the support, they asked for pictures, they sent a technician to my place who already had a new panel with him even though he still had to confirm the banding first hand, he immediately swapped the panel.

The new panel is almost perfect now, never notice banding in real use. Also own a C9 now which also barely has any banding. You are NOT supposed to just accept a bad panel!

I personally never notice ABL on both my sets which is weird cause I usually always notice that kind of stuff.
Where did you buy it from, perchance? And did you contact lg or the seller? From my experience with lg support they sometimes redirect you to wherever you bought it from for support.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Just a heads up about the horizontal banding, nearly all cx's have it, i have gone through 3 cx's and many in reddit report going through many cx's without getting a panel without issues. I finally went with the 950h to hold me for 2-3 years till things improve or mini led becomes vastly superior to what it is now.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The ABL is a trade off for having perfect blacks and the amazing contrast that OLEDs have.You generally won't see it in movies, tv, or games but it is an issue for desktop usage. I would not use an OLED as a PC monitor if this bothers you.
I got extremely annoyed with ABL (among other things) on my 2016 LG OLED to the point I bought a non-OLED (Sony X900H) a couple weeks ago to replace it. OLED's are great and all, but for me I'm happier with a non-OLED TV for playing my console/PC games on.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you buy it from, perchance? And did you contact lg or the seller? From my experience with lg support they sometimes redirect you to wherever you bought it from for support.

German retailer, Saturn. But I contacted LG directly and they never tried to point to the seller. Don't know how the support differs internationally though. I also know from someone else in Germany who had way more trouble or rather delay after contacting the support for a similar issue but in the end they also replaced his panel (twice even).

Worth a try.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
panel lottery sucks. I haven't noticed banding on my new CX, but my old TCL had some bad dirty screen effect. would definitely replace it given the cost

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

#1 u can override at ur own risk, haven't heard of #2 but for me I haven't had that issue on ring fit

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Brightness is an issue? The blacks allow me to have it turned down pretty much at all times, so I never thought about that.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Is there anyway for us to see your example of the banding.

It seems to me that some trailers on youtube for games have banding. But the actual movies and game content look great. I am on a B7 hardware with a replacement BX panel on my tv.

Good luck.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
What's the best way to check for banding, any specific samples people use that will show a worst case scenario? Because I've noticed it on my set sometimes in games and wasn't sure if that was just the specific content causing it.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I had weird banding when I got the tv and the pixel refresher solved it right away. Might be worth trying that first.

OP
OP
Regiruler

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
You can disable 1 via the service menu
Don't you need a special remote to access the service menu?
I had weird banding when I got the tv and the pixel refresher solved it right away. Might be worth trying that first.
I'll try running it now, but I've run the pixel refresher on a few occasions after longer gaming sessions.
Is there anyway for us to see your example of the banding.

It seems to me that some trailers on youtube for games have banding. But the actual movies and game content look great. I am on a B7 hardware with a replacement BX panel on my tv.

Good luck.
I have two pictures and I will post shortly since you asked, but I'm awful with cameras + it shows up less in photos.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

ABL shouldn't be all that noticeable. ASBL which dims the picture over time can be super noticeable and I recommend you turn that off in the service menu. As far as color banding, that's normally a source issue or possibly your HDMI cable. Exchanging the TV for something else won't resolve that unless there's an actual defect.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Don't you need a special remote to access the service menu?

I'll try running it now, but I've run the pixel refresher on a few occasions after longer gaming sessions.

I have two pictures and I will post shortly since you asked, but I'm awful with cameras + it shows up less in photos.

You can get them for maybe $10 on ebay or use a universal remote or android phone with an IR blaster

OP
OP
Regiruler

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
For some reason my phone camera goes super blue when I try to capture the entire screen. You can vaguely see some banding on the right side but it does very visibly go across the screen in person. I'm pretty sure dirty screen effect on the right an just artifact of the camera.

DSC_0016.JPG

Closer up on the left, banding is more obvious. Still muted compared to in person viewing.

DSC_0015.JPG

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry about the burn-in, just make sure the pixel-shift/logo luminance lowering settings are on and the TV will automatically run it's screen refresher when you turn it off with the remote, or you can run it manually.

I was a bit sketchy on the OLED burn-in myself as I'd never had an OLED and didn't use my BX much until I got my PS5, but a few hundred hours of use later and I have no burn-in issues.

Oct 25, 2017
No duh but these are pretty noticeable issues for me. Whereas I may be less sensitive to the known issues of another set, like the Samsung ghosting.
I dunno, how often will you be watching a uniformly colored screen versus how often will you be watching something that... uh... moves?

(unless the ghosting is very situation-specific?)

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Get a new panel if the banding bothers you, I have none on my TV but it's literally the best TV out right now. I doubt you'll be happy with anything else.

The ABL has never bothered me. It only happens when I'm on the same menu for a few minutes. I've never seen it in actual gameplay. I guess it could be annoying in office work but I only use mine for media/gaming.

I just came from a Q90T and I'd still take that banding over the terrible DSE, blooming, and ghosting on the Samsung.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yes, for that amount of money you shouldn't keep something you're unhappy with. Maybe the next one will have problems too, but that's not a reason to keep the one you have now that you're unhappy with.

It's basically the sunk cost fallacy.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I have LG CX and I don't have any issues outside the brightness being too dim relative to the QLED TVs I have used. But that's OLED technology limitation. Oh and HDMI 1 input on my TV for some reason doesn't accept 4k 120 Hz no matter what. It's fine with the other ports. I got a 25% discount on top the initial discount last year to accept the fault and not return it. I can still claim warranty through LG but might do that before the warranty expires.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Banding can change dramatically after 200 hours give or take. If you haven't gotten to that point leave the TV on varied content for extended periods until you do and check banding again. You can easily get enough hours to tell one way or another within most return policies.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Banding can change dramatically after 200 hours give or take. If you haven't gotten to that point leave the TV on varied content for extended periods until you do and check banding again. You can easily get enough hours to tell one way or another within most return policies.
They aren't referring to vertical banding but color banding which has little to do with the display outside of what bitrate the TV supports and possibly the settings he has chosen to use.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
With number 2 are you referring to reasonably bright solid colours, like white and yellow and can you also see some vertical ones if you look a bit closer(they aren't as obvious, but they're there)? If so I doubt a replacement will solve it really. I have that problem on my CX too, and if you google you can see a lot of reports on it from this years CX panels. Some people have gone through 4+ returns and got replacements with the exact same issue, so it seems reasonably common on this years model. Personally I only really notice it on HDR highlights, since the panel brightness seems to make it more noticeable, and I have the OLED light set kinda low at around 35ish for SDR. It's an extremely bothersome issue though. The only reason I haven't returned it is because I'm extremely limited in what TVs I can go for due to space (48" is kind of the max).

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I got extremely annoyed with ABL (among other things) on my 2016 LG OLED to the point I bought a non-OLED (Sony X900H) a couple weeks ago to replace it. OLED's are great and all, but for me I'm happier with a non-OLED TV for playing my console/PC games on.
It should be noted that the ABL is disabled below 150 nits on newer models, which is 50% brighter than the SDR spec - and that's where it is usually most obvious.

You can disable 1 via the service menu
As I understood it, only the ASBL (automatic static brightness limiter) can be disabled via the service menu.
I did hear that they may have made an exception with the 48CX and allowed the ABL to be disabled n those models since they're more likely to be used as monitors in production facilities, but have not verified those claims.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018

I have a CX and I honestly thought that the banding effect during the Ring Fit stretching was part of the game. Is that not normal? It's pretty apparent on my display as well.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I set up my capture card, and the horizontal banding in those Ring Fit videos is the game.
ring-fit-banding-1-lokyy.png

Adjusting the gamma makes it more obvious:
ring-fit-banding-2-kvkw1.png

(note: there are some dither artifacts added by the card because it's a low-end capture device)

This is where a display with a de-banding feature would be helpful.
I think the CX does have that option, but it's not very effective - and may not be available in game mode.

The typical banding issues seen with OLED are vertical bands on near-black screens.