• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty weird that Square had Mog as the cover for FF6 even though the little guy is a fairly small character.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
The N. Sane Trilogy recreation of the box art of Crash 1, mistakenly made the rolling stone wheel stuck on the terrain, when it should be on its track like the original art

box-art-recreations-598757454c3ca-1.jpg

1006-2.jpg

for reference, this is how these wheels behave in the game (they go back and forth in this stone tracks)

latest

without mention that both the recreation and the original art have Crash going towards the camera, which is just the case in chasing sequences (and the rare backtracking), which is not particularly the case for a level like this
Top image looks like he's about to pop out and strangle you.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Not a game, but... is this girl a fusion of the two protagonists?

my-neighbor-totoro-530cce3a1875c.jpg
Yeah,early on totoro was gonna be about only one girl metting him, miyazaki changed it later.

"If she was a little girl who plays around in the yard, she wouldn't be meeting her father at a bus stop, so we had to come up with two girls instead. And that was difficult. " His direct quote.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-enhanced-edition-cover.jpg
71G4HM5FMlL._AC_SY500_.jpg

On both Witcher 2 cover art, Geralt has his swords over the left shoulder when in-game (in both 2 and 3), he has them over the right shoulder.

maxresdefault.jpg

the-witcher-660x412.jpg

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
91n6m92asnl._ac_sy606cfj6y.jpg

What's wrong with this cover... not anything really, the artist did a nice job, but it makes it look like a really epic sequel to Symphonia. The actual game feels like it was made with a tiny budget, only 2 proper characters you can play, and 90% of the locations are reused from the original.
Funny thing: I played this one first so Symphonia felt like an epic prequel to me instead where I could enter doors and dungeons that were locked before.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Would the first two Megaman American covers count?

megamanboxart01.jpg

Besides the fact that none of them are men wearing suits, there for sure aren't any lava pits in Crash Man or Quick Man's stages. Not sure why Dr. Light is hiding behind Crash Man's ass either.

OP
OP
Platy

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Awesome answers people !

Keep up and don't forget to explain =D

Would this count, OP?
Metalgear2boxart.jpg

vjxqESU.gif

xD

The easiest explanation for the CT cover art being off is Toriyama just saying "fuck it, I do what I want." Who would dare question it?

Anyway, I can't really think of a real example, so I'll throw out one of my experiences as a small child:

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

I could never find the damn Wing Cap whenever I got to play the game as a kid so I just thought it was there to look cool.

It is funny that in retrospect the spherical world can count as something they got it wrong since it would be a feature till the Galaxy games xD

Is this the thread about the covers of the NES Mega Man-Games?

Would the first two Megaman American covers count?

megamanboxart01.jpg

Besides the fact that none of them are men wearing suits, there for sure aren't any lava pits in Crash Man or Quick Man's stages. Not sure why Dr. Light is hiding behind Crash Man's ass either.

more the later ones than the famous bad box art one because i think the first one enters too much in the phalanx territory with that background

Wow ! I didn't expected to get this answer here, awesome =D

Street_fighter_II_cover_SNES.jpg

You can't have 3 people in a fight!

Funny how the "hidden dhalsim" theory makes this to be the case for the Turbo edition too

zpWJ1AX.jpg

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Does Suikoden's US cover art count?

3ygVbPNJ4Xsz78NnrX2mR5c8nwso6a4Al-OzVsNTj4Kaxdty2am1rH0FA4I35fC9vyQ5YgB7POAUHfvR0SzR7KUINTYZIoq2OzxVHOtApfBuEiyV0LbRaPsNNg

Sheer ugliness aside...

None of the characters depicted here, except mayyybe the Emperor, can be matched to an in-game character. There IS a 3-headed kind of lich enemy in the game, but it's just one generic enemy you encounter in one unique dungeon, so it's.... a weird thing to showcase.

And what's with the archer's arms 😂

Other games of the time had "westernized" cover arts too, but you could at least identify who the characters were supposed to be. This one is just super weird, in addition to being hideous. That said, this is also "misleading":

12971-phantasy-star-iv-genesis-front-cover.jpg

The US cover by none other than Boris Vallejo lol. So here we can at least identify Rune, Chaz, and Rika. But they look very, very off. Rune's clothing and hair colour is wrong. Chaz looks 20 years too old. And Rika looks also too old and like some sort of femme fatale. Compared to the original Japanese art also featuring the 3 characters, it's night and day.

Man, now I'm reminded of another thread about the cover for Streets of Rage (was called "Have you ever REALLY looked at the cover for SoR")
Yep haha

hp_dYVR3L_QLQvmIcGEAL4bdX3nPcwIQJ8OoFVcCphR1TPyt1XV_u2Iwl8E4ZRaRHCuDBLczqBrMlaRgmEZtyDHZB17uIXim39BfzFnlP6nEpSaQjVxjCx3o

So much weird shit going on.

This cover was so BULLSHIT, you never get the Soul Reaver. I only recall geting to use it in the final boss fight, and Im not even sure, long time have passed (EDIT: thinking about it, I believe it was Lord Serafan using it and not Kaine).

Later I discovered that in Defiance you got to use the actual Soul Reaver from the beggining and I wanted so bad the game, every time I went to the supermarlet with my parents I saw the game there waiting for me, but never got it.

I damn you, Crystal Dynamics

s-l400.jpg
The most misleading part of this cover are the words printed on it, especially "Blood Omen" and "Legacy of Kain".

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
This cover was so BULLSHIT, you never get the Soul Reaver. I only recall geting to use it in the final boss fight, and Im not even sure, long time have passed (EDIT: thinking about it, I believe it was Lord Serafan using it and not Kaine).

Later I discovered that in Defiance you got to use the actual Soul Reaver from the beggining and I wanted so bad the game, every time I went to the supermarlet with my parents I saw the game there waiting for me, but never got it.

I damn you, Crystal Dynamics

s-l400.jpg
No, I remember playing the game with the sword.
Did this game have New Game + ?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
No, I remember playing the game with the sword.
Did this game have New Game + ?

I just checked to make sure. It was not possible to use it during normal gameplay, except from the very last final boss fight. You could, nevertheless, unlock it via cheats and codes (that weren't available in PS2). There was also a Bonus Mode cut fromt he final game that would allow you to do some kind of New Game+, but again, it was cut from release, and therefore, not playable at all.

Maybe you recall, as I do, using it in the final boss, or maybe you had the PC version and you were able to use cheat codes.

Sources (paragraph in spoiler so you don't have to go trough all the article):

legacyofkain.fandom.com

Soul Reaver

The Reaver, and, later, the Soul Reaver, is a weapon which has appeared in every title in the Legacy of Kain series. It is a flamberge-class sword with a broad, undulating serpentine blade. Through most of the series, it is the signature weapon of the vampire Kain, and plays a key role in the...

In Blood Omen 2 the Soul Reaver was stolen from Kain by the Sarafan Lord [Blood Omen 2 manual (UK)][Blood Omen 2 manual (US)] and it would be seen throughout the game in the hands of the Sarafan Lord, though in the storyline it could only be used by Kain in the final boss battle against the Sarafan Lord. The Soul Reaver could be unlocked earlier by using cheats or other methods such as Bonus mode - upon starting a new game, Kain would be attired in the Iron Armor and armed with the Soul Reaver (this combination is also visible in the first cutscene at the intro which glazes over the Collapse of the Pillars of Nosgoth) when used, the Reaver was immensely powerful allowing Kain to easily defeat all non-boss enemies with approximately three slashes. The Reaver's moveset made it effectively a Long swords variant; with the same combinations, pommel/impale grabs (the power of the impale grab upgrades it to 'instant kill' status) and Fury strikes. As with the other 'instant kill' weapons, the Reaver's Stealth Kills were a decapitation and jumping downward smash (an upgrade over long sword variants simple downward smah). Unlike other weapons, Kain was unable to drop the Reaver and it was unbreakable.

ps: In Defiance I think you could actually use it.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
523-duke-nukem-3d-dos-front-cover.jpg
155cd047bf10bc10946e4d4a1ede8505.jpg

I think these two video game covers were designed by Rob Liefeld, except that he's not responsible for coloring.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
This is the cover artwork for the Famicom port of the original Puyo Puyo. Despite what it may make you think, Arle (the girl in the cover and protagonist of every other port of the game) does not appear in the game at all.

a1zbsV1.jpg

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Awesome answers people !

vjxqESU.gif

xD

It is funny that in retrospect the spherical world can count as something they got it wrong since it would be a feature till the Galaxy games xD

more the later ones than the famous bad box art one because i think the first one enters too much in the phalanx territory with that background

Funny how the "hidden dhalsim" theory makes this to be the case for the Turbo edition too

zpWJ1AX.jpg

Hidden Dhalsim theory? 🤔 Edit: holy shit, I see him now faintly... 😱

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
mqND3CU.jpg

- Mario jumping up from lava.
- Fireball going through bricks.
I always found it weird that on the NES black box covers that were ostensibly meant to highlight the actual hardware capabilities of the NES (in contrast to Atari 2600 box art which rarely bore any resemblance to the actual games)... they often lied about the graphics.

That Fiery Mario sprite on the box art is not in the game; his orange hair, the grey shading on his white coveralls, the shading under the brim of his hat, and the brown on his boots and brown shading in his left hand and eye are not in the game. His hair was the same red as his moustache which was the same red as his shirt, as were his boots and the shading in his hand.

anatomyofmario-1601.gif

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome answers people !

vjxqESU.gif

xD

zpWJ1AX.jpg
What's the hidden dhalsim theory? 😃

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Does Suikoden's US cover art count?

3ygVbPNJ4Xsz78NnrX2mR5c8nwso6a4Al-OzVsNTj4Kaxdty2am1rH0FA4I35fC9vyQ5YgB7POAUHfvR0SzR7KUINTYZIoq2OzxVHOtApfBuEiyV0LbRaPsNNg

Sheer ugliness aside...

None of the characters depicted here, except mayyybe the Emperor, can be matched to an in-game character. There IS a 3-headed kind of lich enemy in the game, but it's just one generic enemy you encounter in one unique dungeon, so it's.... a weird thing to showcase.

And what's with the archer's arms 😂

Other games of the time had "westernized" cover arts too, but you could at least identify who the characters were supposed to be. This one is just super weird, in addition to being hideous. That said, this is also "misleading":

12971-phantasy-star-iv-genesis-front-cover.jpg

The US cover by none other than Boris Vallejo lol. So here we can at least identify Rune, Chaz, and Rika. But they look very, very off. Rune's clothing and hair colour is wrong. Chaz looks 20 years too old. And Rika looks also too old and like some sort of femme fatale. Compared to the original Japanese art also featuring the 3 characters, it's night and day.

Yep haha

hp_dYVR3L_QLQvmIcGEAL4bdX3nPcwIQJ8OoFVcCphR1TPyt1XV_u2Iwl8E4ZRaRHCuDBLczqBrMlaRgmEZtyDHZB17uIXim39BfzFnlP6nEpSaQjVxjCx3o

So much weird shit going on.

The most misleading part of this cover are the words printed on it, especially "Blood Omen" and "Legacy of Kain".

The way they're arranged makes it look like the lich guy is just a super enthusiastic member of the team.

I think these two video game covers were designed by Rob Liefeld, except that he's not responsible for coloring.

It blew my fucking mind when someone first pointed out to me
the cover's in first person
and
he's not dual wielding

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
My first thought is the cover of Brain Lord:

brain_lord_box_japanhzkuw.jpg

which isn't anything weird, it's a fantasy adventure game, it's just that the game has no possibility of matching this art style. It might be too much for this thread - the main character's hair colour doesn't even match.

33062-brain_lord_japavlju9.jpg

But a more subtle difference that I noticed as a kid:

960x0olkey.jpg

The enemy is clearly a Final Starman and Ness is reflected in its visor. Beside those belt-like pieces originally being a Star Trek like breast insignia, you only fight this enemy
in the Cave of the Past, where Ness and his friends have been converted to robot bodies.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Callo Melrose on the cover of Vagrant Story had me expecting she'd play a bigger role. Sydney next to Ashley'd make more sense, but maybe Matsuno did this deliberately. Or marketing department was driven by a sex sells mentality, I dunno.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando

which isn't anything weird, it's a fantasy adventure game, it's just that the game has no possibility of matching this art style. It might be too much for this thread - the main character's hair colour doesn't even match.

960x0olkey.jpg

The enemy is clearly a Final Starman and Ness is reflected in its visor. Beside those belt-like pieces originally being a Star Trek like breast insignia, you only fight this enemy
in the Cave of the Past, where Ness and his friends have been converted to robot bodies.
... I don't think I ever noticed Ness in the reflection.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
250px-GaurdianHeroes_front_cover.jpg

This box art makes it look like the Guardian in the game is your opposition, when in fact he is an ally. There are also no flying dragons in the game as far as I can tell.

Oct 30, 2017
CelJaded-Halo-Xbox-Box-Art.jpg

1. The Banshees have their hoods lifted up which is their position when no one is piloting them.
2. Marines can't drive or operate vehicles in Halo 1. The back cover of the game also has someone driving a Scorpion.
3. The Assault Rifle doesn't come with a flashlight. The light comes from Chief's helmet in the game.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

960x0olkey.jpg

Uhhhhhhhhh in 24 years I'd never noticed Ness in the reflection. Shit.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
523-duke-nukem-3d-dos-front-cover.jpg

The Duke cover has an alien that is present in the game although he's not that big. Those guns are not present in the game though.

Those demons on the DOOM cover... those doesn't exit in the game and neither does that weapon Doomguy is using.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Holy shit, that OP gave me life. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time and I know a lot about it -- like, I'm obsessed with it -- but I was not aware of there being a pre-release screenshot upon which its famously inaccurate box art is accurately based. So cool.

Anyway, here's my contribution: Mega Man 5.

Megaman5_box.jpg

Setting aside how horrifically awful Mega Man looks (which is obviously known to be par for the course in most of the series' Western box art prior to Mega Man 8), Gravity Man is depicted as this fucking giant when, in actuality, he's certainly bigger than Mega Man but not building-sized. Also, in the game Gravity Man's buster only fires simple shots whereas here, it's shooting electricity.

Then there's the matter of Gravity Man's other hand... what's even going on here? He appears to be shooting another beam of electricity at Mega Man, which Mega Man is just... absorbing with his hand? Not only does Gravity Man not have any electricity-based moves, Mega Man is never shown to absorb attacks through his hands.

Also, this whole scene appears to be taking place in Star Man's stage, which itself is not accurately represented compared to its in-game appearance (in the game the stage clearly takes place in space, here it just looks like they're outside). Naturally, neither Gravity Man nor Dark Man 4 (aka fake Proto Man, seen to the right of and behind Mega Man) ever appear in Star Man's stage either, and on top of that Mega Man only ever comes face-to-face with Dark Man 4 in his fake Proto Man form as part of a single very short cutscene; when the two actually fight, Dark Man 4 has reverted to his true form.

Lots of weirdness going on here despite being representative of the game in a general sense.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The funny thing about this is they changed his hair color to brown in the western version. On the other hand the western cover:
brain-lord-snes.jpg

No where in the game do I recall a floating castle.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Final Fantasy XIII-2:

dauLfHO.jpg

It's Lightning! And she's in the game...for about ten minutes, before we switch to the actual protagonists. Her total screentime in the entire game is like fifteen minutes tops, not counting her appearance in the epilogue DLC.

But wait, there's more misleading XIII-2 cover art!

675px-Final_Fantasy_XIII-2_cover.jpg

This was the cover art used in some Asian regions, depicting a scene that also never happens.

XIII-2_PromoPoster-Withoutwatermark.jpg

More key art, mostly used for posters/promos (and for a XIII-2-branded PS3 in Korea). This scene never happens either. Would've been cool to watch.

XIII-2_PromoPoster-Withoutwatermark2.jpg

And finally, some key art used as the cover to both a boxed version of the DLC pack and the "Plus" version of the OST. This one doesn't even come close to happening, of course. (If this shot were unfrozen, there'd be a massive battle there in about two seconds, lol)

It kinda sucks because there was some really good keyart they could've gone with that actually does depict some stuff that happens. This one in particular would've been great; it's a little busy, but it really conveys how much darker the game is compared to its predecessor, which would be good to know for anyone who saw that game on store shelves and expected it to be a much more lighthearted romp like FFX-2 was.