• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
With the coronavirus impacting game development and making things more uncertain (especially with regards to mo-cap), obviously Sony and their partners didn't want to give out too many precise dates today. We can work out a few things though.

Games announced for Winter 2020:

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Deathloop (timed console exclusive)
Astro's Playroom (pack-in)
JETT: The Far Shore (PS4/PS5)
Bugsnax (PC/PS5)
Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5/PC)

Games announced for January 2021:

Hitman 3 (Cross-gen, not exclusive)

Games announced for 2021:

Resident Evil 8 (Not exclusive)
Solar Ash
Ghostwire Tokyo (timed console exclusive)
Goodbye Volcano High (PS4/PS5/PC)

Games announced for 2022:

Pragmata (Not exclusive)

Games with no release date:

Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Horizon 2
Gran Turismo 7
Project Athia (PS5/PC)
Demon's Souls
Destruction AllStars
Returnal ("Playstation exclusive")

Project Athia is from the FF15 team post-Tabata and had gameplay but doesn't look that close. Ratchet and Clank and Sackboy had a decent amount of gameplay as did Returnal and Kena. GT7 showed some gameplay but just seemed like a very low key reveal if it's coming soon. Horizon 2 and Demon's Souls were more of cinematic trailers that make it hard to tell how far into development they are. Destruction AllStars is difficult to tell the scope of.

What do we think for some of the games announced with no dates? What timeframe are you thinking for some of these titles?

Last edited:

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to Grubb, there's a State of Play planned for August. Some of those games will probably receive a date there.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Spooder - launch title
Ratchet - Feb - March 2021
Horizon - holiday 2021
GT7 - summer 2021
DS - may - june 2021

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I really didn't want them showing shit years out, because we are going to keep seeing them instead of new games this time next year.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that Horizon is releasing in the first half of 2021, holiday at the latest. Ironically it may end up running into BOTW just like its predecessor did.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect Sony will want to space out the heavier hitters a bit while maintaining a healthy release schedule for the first year. I'm sure in an ideal world they'd like a schedule sort of like...

Day One: Spider-Man + Astro Bot
Q1 2021: Demon's Souls
Q2 2021: Horizon Forbidden West
Q3 2021: Ratchet & Clank
Q4 2021: Gran Turismo 7

I'd expect Sackboy and Destruction All-Stats in 2021 for sure since they seem to be smaller scale projects. Probably in slower months like June or August.

Returnal seems like it needs more time in the oven. I'm guessing 2022 for that one.

Last edited:

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I can have Ratchet, Horizon 2 and Spiderman in the launch window I'll be a happy guy.

I'm pretty confident we'll get Ratchet and Spiderman as release titles Horizon is probably going to be more like next fall.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see Demon Soul , Spider-Man miles Morales, Returnal, and the destruction all stars , Deathloop, Sackboy big adventure, at launch. Covers all the basis in genres. GT7 Dec/Jan , Ratchet March, Horizon May.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Spider man launch
Ratchet Early next year
Demon Souls summer 2021
H2 and GT7 Fall 2021

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect Sony will want to space out the heavier hitters a bit while maintaining a healthy release schedule for the first year. I'm sure in an ideal world they'd like a schedule sort of like...

Q1 2021: Demon's Souls
Q2 2021: Horizon Forbidden West
Q3 2021: Ratchet & Clank
Q4 2021: Gran Turismo 7

I'd expect Sackboy and Destruction All-Stats in 2021 for sure since they seem to be smaller scale projects. Probably in slower months like June or August.

Returnal seems like it needs more time in the oven. I'm guessing 2022 for that one.

R&C is almost certainly coming before Horizion since the former had gameplay. I suspect that R&C and Demon's Souls will be Sony's major first party titles in 2021. Horizon is probably targeted for later winter/early Spring 2022 with actual gameplay reveal around this time next year.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
R&C is almost certainly coming before Horizion since the former had gameplay. I suspect that R&C and Demon's Souls will be Sony's major first party titles in 2021. Horizon is probably targeted for later winter/early Spring 2022 with actual gameplay reveal around this time next year.
I can see that as well. Probably a case where it's planned for 2021 but slides into the following year.

Oct 27, 2017
My guesses:

Spider-Man Miles Morales - Launch 11/6 or 11/13
Deathloop - Launch? Or a couple weeks later. Screams delay into early 2021
Astro's Playroom (pack-in) - Launch dug
JETT: The Far Shore (PS4/PS5) - Launch
Bugsnax (PC/PS5) - Launch
Hitman 3 - Jan 2021

Resident Evil 8 (Not Jan but not holiday, March 2021)
Solar Ash - hmm no idea but first 6-8 months
Ghostwire Tokyo - August or October 2021
Goodbye Volcano High (PS4/PS5/PC) - Summer 2021

Sackboy: A Big Adventure - August 2021 or September
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - Maybe May or June
Horizon 2 - I wanna believe Holiday 2021 but could see Spring 2022
Gran Turismo 7 - will announce holiday 2021, 50/50 shot of delay to 2022
Project Athia (PS5/PC) - holiday 2023 at the earliest
Demon's Souls - October 2021
Destruction AllStars - sometime first 6-8 months
Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5/PC) - Feb or April 2021
Returnal ("Playstation exclusive") - April or May 2021

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Guys, im not going to lie.

I assume all of these games ( first party ) weee all launch/couple months after launch.

If not, what is the point of ps5? Gone are the days of trailers for games that are years out, except huge projects like TLOU.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Considering that RE8 is listed as 2021 (Tentative) on their website, I'm kinda leaning towards mid-to-late 2021 for that game.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
If so, why wouldn't they have called that out during the presentation?
If I would hazard to guess, a lot of the devs are probably gunshy about putting release dates up. Especially because of covid and how dev time could be impacted. So something like Demon's Souls might be targeting launch but they are waiting until closer to announce, in case something drastic happens. I'm sure the supposed August SoP will shine a light on what the launch window dates look like.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Didn't Bluepoint hint at their game be launch window in one of the Wires articles or am I misremembering that? That was a year ago so obviously things change, but if so I'd imagine it'll be early to mid next year if not.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, im not going to lie.

I assume all of these games ( first party ) weee all launch/couple months after launch.

If not, what is the point of ps5? Gone are the days of trailers for games that are years out, except huge projects like TLOU.
Covid withstanding, I'm about the same. I think most of them will be out by June 2021. Horizon will have had 3+ years of development by early next year, Housemarque hasn't had a game since 2017, Bluepoint has been cooking up DS for years, GT Sport came out ages ago, etc. I could see a couple like Horizon 2 maybe being pushed beyond that point, but this feels like the Switch's year one showcase in terms of reveals.

The August State of Play is where I expect to see more late 2021/2022 games.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Dont throw too many games in 2021. They still havent announced some stuff and they will definitelly aim for launch with some games.

I mean, they surely developed some games to be ready for launch with a few months in reserve. Some insiders even mentioned that some ps4 games got pushed to ps5.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Sackboy and Demon Souls will be around launch, but they didn't want to put a date on it because of corona virus. I think they're both games that should be done but Sony will allow a little wiggle room.

The rest is 2021, GT probably earlier next year than most people believe.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Seeing this list it's pretty easy to wait it out for a bit. Maybe until an all black console appears a year in or so.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Horizon I'm hoping/praying is spring 2021. Please just make it happen. I don't really care about the rest.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

6oBXPja.png

Ouch

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sackboy: A Big Adventure (XDev) has been in production as a LittleBigPlanet game for years (possibly as a PS4 game) according to Richard @ Digital Foundry and seems to think it would have been finished by now. LBP3 - another Sackboy project by Sumo Digital - was announced at E3 2014 and released in the same year. I think we'll see it this Holiday 2020.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has been in production for a long ass time. It was rumoured to be one of the last PS4 games that was left unannounced with some people suggesting it was moved to PS5 at some point. Insomniac is incredibly efficient and the game looks pretty far along. If Spider-Man is Holiday 2020, then R&C is April 2021.

Horizon Forbidden West has been in production since 2017 assuming it was picked up not long after they shipped Zero Dawn. Guerrilla moved into a new office space in 2018 with a goal to expand to around 400 people to be able to ship games in 2-3 years. According to John @ Digital Foundry the game is not that far off, and that's not surprising. I expect it to be similar to the first game, releasing in February 2021.

Gran Turismo 7 has been in production (maybe) since GT Sport came out in 2017 and they were obviously supporting that game incredibly well due to its service model focus. GT7 is said to bring together the "past, present and future" of GT so they have probably been using Sport as a foundation and building on top of it which I imagine would accelerate development because they create much higher detailed models and scale it to the hardware. I can see this game releasing in December 2020.

Project Athia will remain TBD for years.

Demon's Souls has been in production since early 2018. By the time Holiday 2020 rolls around it will have been the longest Bluepoint has spent on a game since the God of War Collection in 2009. It's clearly a bigger project than Shadow of the Colossus, and they're taking longer because of that, but I can still see it being at launch. Holiday 2020.

Destruction AllStars (XDev) has been in production as a PS5 game for years according to Richard @ Digital Foundry. Lucid Games hasn't released a game since 2017, so it's probably a launch title. Holiday 2020.

Returnal (XDev) has been in production since 2017 and even though it's a AAA game, it's not on the scale of something like Horizon, so I can see it releasing in Summer 2021. Why is this listed as ("Playstation exclusive")?