• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I get it, Metroid isn't as profitable as Animal Crossing, Mario or Zelda for Nintendo. That's why we go years without Metroid titles. Nintendo is also doing just fine making billions, so they don't really care about opinions of people like me.

But with the huge surge of Metroidvania titles that have been released in the last 5 years by indie developers, I would have loved another 2D Metroid entry that was a follow up to Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion (I dont count Samus Returns as its just a remake of Metroid II).

Even Koji Igarashi, the creator of Castlevania SOTN, even saw the demand and decided to make Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, the spiritual successor to Symphony of the Night.

Metroid Prime 4 is coming, but who knows when that will be. I know it will be great because Retro studios is an awesome developer. But I just really want a brand new entry to the 2D Metroid series. I feel like with how much attention Metroidvanias are getting these days that now would be the best time to get another entry.

Anyone else agree? Metroid doesn't get enough love.

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a follow-up to Samus Returns on Switch.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Sure, timing could have been more poignant; but I imagine we get a 2D Metroid to supplement Prime 4 on Switch at some point.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Well the 3DS did get one. I also think we'll get one next year for the anniversary. Prime 4 wont be ready in time.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you completely. I feel like most of the big boy publishers ignore genres that aren't ridiculously lucrative these days. Another example is SRPG's, the Switch is the perfect platform for them but the landscape seems barren compared to the days of old.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Don't give up hope. There will be another 2d Metroid at some point.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Maybe Nintendo knows that everyone else is putting more love and care into their own games, and doesn't wanna come back out of "necessity" only to feel like they're just phoning it in?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Yes. Sci-fi horror for sure. Something about that pixel art from the original metroid, super metroid and metroid fusion makes it more effective for atmosphere and gives the game a more timeless look.

The 2.5 of Samus Returns already looks dated.
I think it looks pretty good, to be honest. And that's despite the fact that the 3DS isn't a very technically accomplished console to begin with.

A 2.5D game on Switch would look waaaaaay better. So long as it has the budget to match.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The remake of 2 sold well, I expect a new one any day now, maybe not this year

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
55C4AEA4A57BC0D07B9EAFB7F9FD21D1F66F5EEB

I need more. Samus Returns was a great step back in the right direction.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As someone whose favorite Metroids are Metroid Fusion & Super Metroid, how was Samus Returns?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure we'll see more 2D Metroid, but it's likely gonna be by Mercury Steam, which is a major turn-off for me.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
As someone whose favorite Metroids are Metroid Fusion & Super Metroid, how was Samus Returns?
As someone whose favorite Metroids are also Metroid Fusion and Super Metroid I had a hard time with the graphical style of the game (kind of a janky 3D world filmed sideways as 2D) and ultimately couldn't make it through the entire game especially as there were so many Metroidvania games flourishing on the indie scene to choose from.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was woefully mediocre. It does have the misfortune to be a remake of one of the weaker Metroids anyway, but MS missed the point completely by making the game center around combat more than is ever necessary making the game mostly a chore to play. Also, visually it lacks identity with very bland looking environments and the music is also very weak. It's a bottom-tier Metroid as far as I'm concerned. If you like SM and Fusion I'd recommend AM2R over Samus Returns. It's still a remake of Metroid 2 and the new areas did nothing for me, but again; Metroid 2 wasn't great to begin with and the original feels underdeveloped towards the end. So while there's no version of Metroid 2 that's truly great, AM2R comes closest.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It takes all the good ideas from Other M like the more immediate action combat and refines them into a far better package that was only let down by being based on a Gameboy title.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
When was the last time you played it? I played it as a kid and then like 15 years later and it didnt hold up other than I think it still does a good job of atmosphere considering the hardware limitations.
A year or two ago.

It's still fine to me. I liked it more than the 3DS remake, which I felt made combat gimmicky for no good reason.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
If a new 2D Metroid comes out I hope it's not like Samus Returns. That game was pretty disappointing. Probably the only 2D Metroid game (after Super onwards) I that I didn't beat multiple times

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about profit. Maybe the team responsible for Metroid just wants to make other games. There's only so many resources. What games do you want to give up to get Metroid made?

Like, you mention Animal Crossing, but the Animal Crossing developers made Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2 in between Animal Crossing games.

Edit: And Nintendo has been trying all kinds of new stuff recently. I don't care for ARMS but it was unique. We had again Splatoon. Ring Fit Adventure. It's impossible for Nintendo to give love to every franchise while also making new things.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If I was Nintendo, I'd see Hollow Knight and Silksong and decide to put my eggs into the 3D Metroid basket instead.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
It's only been 18 years since the last 2D sprite based Metroid game. Not sure what the issue is. 🙃

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was great, I was never really a fan of the way Metroid 2 GB was structured but Samus Returns did a good job adapting it into something I enjoyed. The only major letdown was it running at 30fps. Enjoyed it way more than that fan remake of 2.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch has only been out for about three and a half years. In the meantime just enjoy all those other wonderful Metroid titles.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I know other people might be sick of it but I'd love a new metroid game in pixel art style.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
If a new 2D Metroid comes out I hope it's not like Samus Returns. That game was pretty disappointing. Probably the only 2D Metroid game (after Super onwards) I that I didn't beat multiple times

Oh wow. I really enjoyed it.

No shade at all since preference is subjective, but what didn't you like about it?

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Well, actually, there was-

-uh, oh. Okay, um, yeah I guess you're right.

To be honest, the game I've wanted Nintendo to make most for the past 5 years has been a proper Metroid 5.

This has been me for 13 years actually. Every E3, no matter how good they did that year, I would get a pang in my heart because Metroid 5 didn't happen. The announcement of Samus Returns was bittersweet since it wasn't even shown during the conference and was 3ds only.

Of course, plenty of insiders have stated that more 2d Metroid is coming. Maybe Nintendo is waiting until they can show Prime 4, and then follow that up with a new 2D Metroid along with the Prime Trilogy. That's the dream, haha.

That's almost too good of an idea, and being a Metroid fan I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I hope if the rumors are true that it's not a remake of Super or Fusion. I would rather have a Samus Returns Remastered on Switch than to waste that time and resource on a remake of games that don't need it.

So there you have it Nintendo. All you need to do to make me happy is a...

Prime 4 trailer
Prime Trilogy (I'll take an upres port and be satisfied)
Samus Returns Remastered
and
Metroid 5 announcement, and the game must have the words Metroid 5 pop up when booted.

No pressure.
Fucking DO IT Ninty!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid is an incredibly mismanaged IP.

Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Pinball which was good...

Seems pretty well managed to me. It has gotten a ton of games, more than many other Nintendo franchises. Many of those games are also great. Sometimes IPs go dormant, it would be weird and kind of dumb if every IP has to continue to get video games forever on every single system.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Same guy that leaked Samus Returns before E3 on GAF said they were making one for Switch after it came out. I think this was sometime in 2017.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I would bet in a 2D Metroid by Mercury Steam on Switch actually releasing before MP4.

Not sure if Metroid 5 or another remake, tho.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

Pretty damn good. It's long, and is more exhausting to play than the other games in the series mainly because of the game it's a remake of. So it loses the whole "play it one go, oh my God I'm so addicted" aspect of Super and Zero Mission. However, like Fusion, it's a different kind of Metroid. Combat is a big deal, which makes sense because the premise of the game is hunting down and executing a set number of Metroids. It wears on you a bit by the end due to a lack of enemy variety. The boss fights are great!

I loved my time with the game, and I'm so glad it exist. Metroid fans are hard to please, but since you're a fan of Fusion (which isn't universally loved by the fans) then you should definitely play it. It also has that 3ds issue where the game looks much better while playing than it does in videos. I actually like the art direction, but I'm also fine with 2.5d visuals. Yes, I prefer sprites but I think the criticism of the games visuals is a bit overblown. I'd love to see an HD version not held back by the 3ds. There's a lot of Prime in it if I remember.

The music is ok. My biggest gripe is that a major portion of the soundtrack features remixes of older tunes and not just Metroid 2 ones. Sure, they sound good and contribute to that Metroid vibe, but I was really hoping to get some substantial new tracks for the series. The OG Metroid 2 tracks are very well done. As far as characterizations go, Sakamoto redeemed himself after the Other M disaster. Samus has been corrected. She's back in line with the Super Metroid version of herself and has some badass moments. There's also some additions to the lore that I hope gets fleshed out later.

Something else though, in contrast to some others here, AM2R doesn't measure up to Samus Returns whatsoever. The new additions feel out of place visually and with the series. The difficulty is incredibly unbalanced and many of the design choices are, well, fan-gamey if I had to use a word to describe it. It's sensibilities with progression, both narratively and with level design are inconsistent and don't belong in a true Metroid game. There's also that fanmade aspect of throwing way to many references from other games in the series. It's still fun, much in the way that fan games are and is pretty good when compared on that front. It was made out of love and it's heart is in the right place. Plus it's nice seeing the Zero Mission art style. Sonic Mania it ain't though. It sort of reminds me of when fans think they know a series inside and out and do their best to emulate it, but ultimately end up fields apart. Kind of like that Obi-Wan vs. Vader fight extension that popped up within the last few years. It's well done for what it is, but it has no place in Star Wars.

I feel like SR has had to make an uphill climb of sorts since its announcement. This bring due to the bitterness of being a 3ds game, Mercury Steam coming off Lords of Shadow 2 and some bad press, Sakamoto carrying baggage from Other M, AM2R getting c&d (at least they got to finish the game). It's not the best Metroid, or close to the best, but it's earned its place in the main series. You should definitely play it.

Oct 27, 2017
MercurySteam has not released or announced a game since Samus Returns. Based on the good reception, doesn't it seem at least somewhat likely that they are working on a Metroid title for Switch?