• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Play FF15?

• Yes

Votes: 148 32.0%
  • No

Votes: 315 68.0%

• Total voters

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Guessing since a lot of people are recommending a non FF fan to play 7R then a newcomer wouldn't have much issues following some of the story elements of the remake without playing the original? Since I've heard some concerns about that for newcomers jumping in to 7R.
Of course. What worry do you have ? I haven't heard any concern.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I understand those who recommend you playing FF7R1, but be warned, if you liked the game and wanted to play the rest there's no way other than playing the original one.
I mean he never played the OG so he can just treat it like any other game that sets up a sequel

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on what you're looking for in a game. FFXV is more action oriented, but it was pretty brain-dead combat for the most part. Note, I haven't played any of the updates that change up combat and allow you to swap PCs between the four boys, so things may be different now. But based on what you've said in the OP, I think VII Remake is more up your alley. I enjoyed XV for what it was, but I can't imagine you'd enjoy it based on the OP.
OP specifically says he doesn't like ATB combat systems and everyone rushes to recommend another ATB game lol.
The ATB in VII remake is more of a skill cool-down though. It's not like you can't perform actions until the gauge is filled.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm about to ask the same thing but I think I'm going to try it regardless. I have the Royal Edition, just trying to finish up Prey first.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
People are way too dismissive and negative about FFXV's combat system. I found it pretty fun and so did most of my friends who played it. It's not the best, sure, but it is entirely acceptable. The story is definitely hit or miss, the overarching plot was okay, but the main party is great vibes and good times all around. If you can pick up the game for cheap or borrow/rent it I would say go that route

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
FF7 Remake is a clearly better game in both story and gameplay but from your post FF15 seems a better fit for your tastes. So do try FF15 which is a flawed but still good game.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
People are way too dismissive and negative about FFXV's combat system. I found it pretty fun and so did most of my friends who played it. It's not the best, sure, but it is entirely acceptable. The story is definitely hit or miss, the overarching plot was okay, but the main party is great vibes and good times all around. If you can pick up the game for cheap or borrow/rent it I would say go that route

Yeah, if XV's combat is bad then where are the 8s and 9s coming from? It's not because of the story lol.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I think FF is just not for you, and that's fine. I liked XV but that's because I like FF, I would be surprised if someone who's tried several other games and didn't like them finds it to be "the one".

Sep 14, 2018
This forum isn't the best place to ask about FFXV, honestly. Most people in general agree that the game is fine, but on this forum they like to pretend that playing it was the worst thing that ever happened to them.

That being said, the gameplay is actually pretty good. I call it action-lite, honestly. It's a bit slower-paced than an actual action RPG, but still fun and has some challenge to it, especially if you pick hard mode. The story is hit and miss, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless by the end.
There is no hard mode to pick.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
7R is a big improvement over 15, but the combat still doesn't feel particularly good.

16 looks much more promising.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Can't say I would recommend it, it was a very dissapointing game to me, horribly generic side quests and a story that goes nowhere.

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the only truly bad mainline Final Fantasy game, so every person asking me that would get a no

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's a great game but it's also different enough from other FF games that you should like it.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. Its a very mediocre game and there's much better FF games out there.

You can literally spam potions and Phoenix downs against any boss and win.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I mean I'd always support trying new things but if you've tried multiple games in a series and didn't like any of them I'd say it's just safe to say the series isn't for you and move on. Recent games like XV and VII Remake do add more action game elements into the mix but they aren't pure action games.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the one to play if you don't like the other ones, 15 is only one I've finished, having action combat goes a long way for me.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't think this "i'm not a FF fan" works that well because all the games are pretty different. You can hate X/XII/XIII and still enjoy XV or the older ones.

The combat is kind on the weak side but if you enjoy open world stuff and the setting, maybe it's the game for you.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
15 is bad.

7R is much more worth it, it's a better game with a much better combat system.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
As someone who loves the rest of the series and didn't like FFXV, it's hard to tell.

The problems I had with it were that FFXV was too much of a departure from the series, not necessarily problems I had with the game itself.

I'm going to recommend it in because you already don't like the more traditional entries and this is the furthest thing from a traditional Final Fantasy and beyond that, I could easily see why someone would enjoy the game.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
OP specifically says he doesn't like ATB combat systems and everyone rushes to recommend another ATB game lol.
X, XII, and XIII do not use the ATB system.
That said, I agree that people recommending older FF games probably didn't actually read the OP and just want to recommend their favorite.

Of course. What worry do you have ? I haven't heard any concern.
FFVII Remake spoilers
It's not actually a Remake, it's a sequel, and a major part of it's storytelling is about strange creatures trying to make sure the plot of the original game happens while the characters try to defy fate and lead the story in a new direction.
That said, if you never played the original this would potentially go over your head and you'd just think the plot of VII was always about defying fate and weird plot ghosts.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
XII and XIII are 100% ATB. You wait for a bar to fill up then you select an action from a menu.
The developers consider them different systems, at the very least. I would agree that they are evolutions of ATB and contain elements of it, but it's not the same battle system. There's enough different that I think acting like XII and XIII have the same combat as IV-IX is very dishonest.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Shakerovic No, don't care about FFXV, terrible pacing and awful gameplay.

You should play FF7 Remake like I did, the only mainline FF worth to play if you don't care about the series, a really fun action RPG :)

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
No don't.

I thought the same as you.

I played FF7 8 and x to comoletion and hated them all (I was a poor teen and didn't get many games)

Like you I thought FF15 was different it isn't. The action gameplay is a thin veil over the turn based stuff from before. I didn't like it one bit.

The missions were boring and I found the story dull

It's on ganepass if you want to give it a go.

Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about mediocre (at best) storylines, ok battle systems, and boring, empty open worlds? If you love those then go for it. I like the game alright, but if I wasn't a huge Final Fantasy fan I feel like it would be complete trash.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Pretty good game

pKw62Ef.jpg

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Spoiler alert: There's going to be a bunch of people that tell you that this 80+ metacritic game is literally the worst game they've ever played, ignore the extremists on both ends.
Metacritic, like movie ratings, do nothing but tell you what the approve consensus was of a product at launch, and has no bearing on the actual discussion of it at length. See also: When people defend games that are low rated due to them being unfairly aligned with typical perceptions of them.

It's not the worst game I've ever played, but a fractured experience of that calibur definitely didn't deserve an 80+ at launch for anything other than being an FF game. I won't invoke the Belda argument but I refuse to believe anyone played a game that had half a story and no interesting quests and said "yeah this is an 80+ game."

ON TOPIC: If you're just here for a road trip with bros you might have a few scenes you like, but it doesn't sound like FF clicks with you OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it is an action system and very different from every other game in the series.
It's possible you'll have fun with it.
It's not a particularly good action combat system though, if you're looking for something engaging.

FFVIIR is a lot better in that aspect.
XVI is being designed by the Dragon's Dogma and DMCV guy though, so it'll probably be more up your alley than any existing FF.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
7 remake is better imo, it feels a whole lot more fun, kinda hard to describe

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Absolutely not. As an FF fan, it's absolutely bland and really boring gameplay as well. In fact I'd suggest giving FFX another go, once the battle system clicks, its honestly one of the best FF battle systems of all time IMO. Or try FF9 PC version with some of the mods.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
You'd probably enjoy FFXV and FFVIIR. Both are more action oriented and two of the best in the series. FFVIIR is probably more action based.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. It's not a turn based game, has an open world, and great characters. VIIR's combat is also action but is far slower than XV's.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like you're looking for fast-paced action combat, in which case, as others have said, you should stick with Kingdom Hearts.

While Final Fantasy XV is action-based, it's still relatively slow and methodical compared to other action games. Adding to this, there's no need to button mash, you can hold the Attack and Defend buttons down to continue doing them if you don't mind that (it works really well and is preferred over button-mashing).

Give XV a try, realise that the last few hours of the game were kind of rushed, and you'll have at least a bit of fun with it.