• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just got to thinking about how guides are basically dead now but I have some very fond memories of two in particular

First is Ocarina of Time's. I never even finished the game until the 3DS port came out (I have no idea why it took me so long), but I had this N64 guidebook back in the day and I remember pouring over it, even the stuff from the back pages.

5d3b5b133089f40f68f847934290c887.jpg

In a time before the internet and things like Hyrule Historia it was awesome to be able to see the artwork at such high resolution

4GleZKu.png

And the two pages for Ocarina songs were really cool. IIRC they even printed those on a different laminated kind of paper, so you could write the scarecrow song on a blank bar with an erasable marker.

XMdsZIo.jpeg

The other extremely nostalgic guide for me is Pokémon Crystal's, entirely because of the maps. Unfortunately I can't find any good scans of them, and I have no idea where my copy of the book went, but basically it had the full sprite map printed out and I used to trace my finger along them. Honestly might be one of the main reasons why I got into pixel-art.

Prima_Guide_C.png

Did any strategy guides stick in your mind?

Last edited:

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
The Final Fantasy Piggyback guides were a big part of my childhood. Amazing artwork and all the info I could ever need in one place. (...with the exception of the FF9 one, which is now basically a paper weight.)

I had a lot of other guides over the years, but the Final Fantasy ones were basically a tradition for me and I got every single one, right up until the final one in Final Fantasy 15.

Was gutted when the Final Fantasy 7 Remake didn't have one.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my Turok prima book, I remember using it religiously back when I got my N64 for xmas. Finding that first grenade launcher in I think the third part of the first world On some cliffs? Very good memories. Very happy my parents bought me an "M" rated game as a 12 year old.

honorable mention, The map in the back of the morrowind book was amazing, that game was something else

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I remember getting the Mario 64 Nintendo Power guide when I reupped my subscription when I was 10. I didn't actually own Mario 64 until I got Mario 64 DS, but I read the mfer cover to cover.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I had the Pokémon Sapphire/Ruby guide book. My mind was completely blown by all that hidden Braille stuff and how you got to Rayquaza. Really cool and surprisingly elaborate even by today's standards, I think.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon and Vice City were the ones for me.
514ZJRSQK0L._AC_UL600_SR465,600_.jpg

619APNW8HVL._AC_UL320_SR258,320_.jpg

Then switched to googling and YouTube.

Looks like they don't even sell one anymore for RDR2 on Amazon UK. Might pick one up for Cyberpunk.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you posting Prima trash and not the official Nintendo Power guides?

haha

Honestly, they were all pretty hit or miss at times.

Like I still have Nintendo Power's OG Pokemon guide, and it has nearly everything you'd need to know.
Then they came out with a guide for G/S which was enough to get you through the game, but had no Pokedex! (IIRC, they sold that as a separate book later.)

I think I still got a good number of guides lying around:
  • Ocarina of Time (NP) - This one's actually pretty well done with lots of art and whatnot.
  • Twilight Princess (NP) - This one is pretty big compared most of my other guides.
  • Link to the Past/Four Swords GBA (NP)
  • Golden Sun + GS: TLA (Prima) - Very nice since it covers both games in their entirety.
  • Final Fantasy I & II DoS (NP) - Extremely nice since it has maps for the Bonus Dungeons in FF1.
  • Final Fantasy III (Brady)
  • Final Fantasy IV (NP) - This one's a bit on the small side; also skimps on the Bonus Dungeon stuff after you beat the game which is annoying.
  • Diablo II (Brady) - Came with the D2 Battle Chest.
  • Final Fantasy X (Brady) - Sorta big, but has TONS of info on stuff in the game including a Mix chart!
  • Tales of Symphonia (Brady)
  • TLoZ Collector's Edition (NP) - Guide for the Zelda Collection on Gamecube. So it's got guides for Zelda 1, 2, OoT, and Majora's Mask. (OoT and MM take up most of the guide and it's not terribly big.)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (NP) - Another big guide IIRC.
  • Disgaea 2 (Double Jump) - Has nearly everything you'd need to know about D2 and it's literally jam-packed. Also a bit on the small size (like the size of a trade paperback, but it's got 640 pages so it's thick).

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
siQVnsF.jpeg

This FFVII one is really the only guide I have fond memories of. From the writing style, artwork, layout, information, I just loved everything about it. I read my copy of this so much over the years, and lent it to someone, but eventually became badly damaged. Luckily I was able to track down a scan of this years back, and then later found one that was pretty high quality. Still wish I had my original in good shape, especially after seeing those 2nd hand prices on ebay.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
np-17-1.jpg

I got the Nintendo Power Final Fantasy 1 guide before even knowing what the game was. The guide made me want the game, though I had to wait until my birthday in 1991 to get it. By the time I got the game, I'd read through the guide so many times I'd basically memorized it, which kinda sorta spoiled the game a bit for me.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
np-17-1.jpg

I got the Nintendo Power Final Fantasy 1 guide before even knowing what the game was. The guide made me want the game, though I had to wait until my birthday in 1991 to get it. By the time I got the game, I'd read through the guide so many times I'd basically memorized it, which kinda sorta spoiled the game a bit for me.

I love the creative license with all of the characters but they made the airship look as dinky as its game sprite

they're all gonna fall out

Also the one dude about to poke out a guy's eye with the tip of his halberd

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I love the creative license with all of the characters but they made the airship look as dinky as its game sprite

they're all gonna fall out

Also the one dude about to poke out a guy's eye with the tip of his halberd

Hahaha, yeah!

The whole guide is filled with artwork that could make the cover of a cheesy 80s fantasy novel.

They could've used some Amano artwork, but this was back when Nintendo still went out of its way to hide anything that looked even remotely Japanese.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone regret throwing their guides?

I had tons from Nintendo (Player's Guides), Prima, Brady, and the legendary Versus Books!

Something unique about guides, with proper layout, maps, photography, art. GameFAQs is comprehensive, but txt only guides are wack.

Youtube is cool for tips and tricks, but ephemeral.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
1991-Nintendo-MARIO-MANIA-Players-Guide-Nintendo-NES.jpg

I spent hours just looking through Mario Mania as a kid. It's got a lot of nice artwork and fun facts and stuff.

Ja62ueP.png

They knew DK would become a good ape 3 years before DKC happened.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
my brother and i subsisted on this for years.

61p4N1P2yzL.jpg
nesgameatlas2.jpg

ours is just an absolute mess, the whole binding fell apart so now it's just a stack of individual pages still in a drawer in our parents house

Nov 8, 2017
This guide for Pokémon Red and Blue - it covered Green as well. Loved the layout and simplicity, all the info easily accessible with perfect maps. looked like a total knock off based on the cover though.

61ZPEDEQW8L._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And Nintendo Power's guide for Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Easily my most used and favorite guide. It reads like a story instead of instructions doesn't give every step away.

250px-Ocarina-Of-Time-Nintendo-Power.jpg

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget Prima's Shenmue guide having paragraph-long profiles of every single NPC, down to the ones who walk around town and only have a couple of lines. Name, age, job title, blood type, etc.

Did you know the guy who walks around Dobuita as Santa can walk up and down the street all day because he has strong legs from being a keen marathon runner? Now you do.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I always preferred Nintendo Power or Versus guides if a game had one of those. The versus Pokemon guides were really good. Usually liked the Prima guidebooks less and the Bradygames books even less than that.

Edit: Oh yeah, Mario Mania. I think that's the guide I looked at the most. I think I destroyed it by just bringing it everywhere, got a new copy, and then that started to fall apart too.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I still have/love my Fallout 3 guide that feels like it came straight from that universe with its page design

fallout_guide_4.jpg

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is the best guide I've ever had right here.

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

The Sonic Adventure 2 Battle + Sonic Advance Official Perfect Guides from Versus Books. That titles don't lie as far as I'm concerned.
Also, I completely forgot the SA2B logo covers Knuckles and Rouge, which kinda sucks. lol

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I own a Prima Animal Crossing New Horizons guide. I don't know if I should open it, out of fear I have to restart everything.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
my brother and i subsisted on this for years.

61p4N1P2yzL.jpg
nesgameatlas2.jpg

ours is just an absolute mess, the whole binding fell apart so now it's just a stack of individual pages still in a drawer in our parents house

the "player's guide" series was incredible in that first run. not only a guide book all kinds of other stuff - it's where i first learned of the SMB2/doki doki panic thing which blew my head off as a kid

Oct 26, 2017
The Vagrant Story one sat on the bottom shelf of the game section in a local shop for ages back in the day. I always meant to pick it up, not because I was stuck but because I just wanted more things Vagrant Story. It was just gone one day and I was kinda bummed.
511JHHRXZYL._SX370_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the times I got these books was for the art and to trace it and be creative. Also I remember getting 2 OoT guides because one came free with Nintendo power yearly subscription, but it was ripped in the mail and Nintendo sent me another one.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
It would be interesting to go back and make a guide for Pokemon Red & Blue with all the crazy information we now have about that game's code. "Don't forget kids, all attacks have a 1/256 chance to miss due to a glitch!"

Basically a strategy guide with ACTUALLY correct information, down to information that was only obtainable via datamining.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still have my Pokémon Emerald guide. I used to spend so much time with it. Looking at the art, the photos, reading Battle Frontier stuff. I played a lot of games vicariously through Strategy Guides, and for those like Pokemon, replayed.

E: oh yeah, can't forget Zelda Twilight Princess'! Long story short, religious upbringing, I was afraid to play the game in the house in front of religious parent, and also afraid because I thought I'd go to Hell for playing it due to its evil content. I did have the Strategy Guide, though.. and it was the way I lived that version of Hyrule.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The oldest strategy guide I had was this:
41dorovs7sl._sx390_bo56kvt.jpg

This book had so many maps and enemy guides for tons of games and blurbs about others. It was awesome to look at and filled my head with so much wonder and imagination with all of the imagery.
It was basically my dad's as he was a big NES gamer. Loved watching him play (I played too, but wasn't a "gotta beat it" gamer in those days). Ended up giving it to a big nintendo fan years later and kind of regret it.

A personal fav of mine is the Tekken 3 guide as I got it the day before the game came out and just read that thing front to back. Character bios, strats, Namco history, the art etc. The memories:
20200816_1229521bj9x.jpg

20200816_122929phk2j.jpg

I was just looking through my Tekken and SC books the other day with my kids showing them Yoshimitsu's transformations when we lost power. (Explaining the theatrics of Samurai because of Ghost of Tsushima and they questioning the helmets and masks). So much nostalgia.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

This book had so many maps and enemy guides for tons of games and blurbs about others. It was awesome to look at and filled my head with so much wonder and imagination with all of the imagery.
It was basically my dad's as he was a big NES gamer. Loved watching him play (I played too, but wasn't a "gotta beat it" gamer in those days). Ended up giving it to a big nintendo fan years later and kind of regret it.

The graphic design on that one looks incredibly modern, they could put that in stores today and it'd look pretty snazzy

Takes me back to a little mini book I had once that was filled with cheats and tricks for a variety of games. One part was all about easter eggs and let me tell you, reading about the secret MGS3 EVA dialogue from the final part of the game made it seem extremely lewd with no context.

Defunkled

Oct 29, 2017
Perfect timing with this thread! I've been cleaning out my basement this month and found a box with all my old strategy guides and magazines. Couldn't get enough RPGs as a kid!

1157a0bb-55b3-4285-9qjkro.jpeg

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

This was the holy bible during the golden age of the NES. Pre-internet, pre-Nintendo Power — at the time it was literally the most amazing tome of information anyone could ever be lucky enough to get their hands on. Practically worshipped this book, read it cover to cover like 900 times lol

Oct 27, 2017
This was the holy bible during the golden age of the NES. Pre-internet, pre-Nintendo Power — at the time it was literally the most amazing tome of information anyone could ever be lucky enough to get their hands on. Practically worshipped this book, read it cover to cover like 900 times lol
Reading it and looking at it so much, it felt like I HAD every game in there and knew enough about them despite actually wishing I had many of them.

It's also funny because this was before spoiler culture so seeing entire maps to later levels was a huge deal in SMB and Metroid etc.