• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Super Mario 64 for me...
Not sure If i made it to credits on any of the genesis games I played.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
goonies-2-nintendo-nes-1987.jpg

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I think it was super mario world. The one with bowser flying in the super smiley face thingy.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
WOITitle.png

It was the first game I finished and one of the only games I ever played with my mom. The Genesis 3 and all the games at Toys R Us were on a stiff clearance so one day my dad surprised us and came home with my first video game console and bags of games. Fun times.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Pirate Cove on the Vic-20 - a text adventure / port of Pirate's Adventure from other systems.

Could never figure out the other 4 games in that series though

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Super Mario World.

I remember it was definitely a team effort between me, my sister, and my dad. Tons of fun for all of us.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's an implication of narrative, because many early games when I was a kid didn't really "end", so I'd have to say Adventure on the Atari 2600 would be the first.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Maniac Mansion on the commodore 64. Think I was in second grade at the time.

Struggling to remember if I had beaten that one first or Super Mario Bros first though...

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Yoshi's Island.

I was pretty young, like 4-5 years old. My sister was playing it and I was watching, and when she left I picked up the controller and I was hooked. It's the first video game I remember playing, and it's still a sentimental title for me today. And I remember being so shaken by the final boss. Still to this day, that battle gives me chills. One of the best final bosses ever.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Either Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, or Kirby Super Star was the first game I beaten. I forgot which.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have a ps1 memory card so anything that couldn't be finished in a day was out. I think Crash Bandicoot Warped was the first. That or the Jurassic Park arcade game

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Is was probably super mario bros on nes. Altho mega man was definitely one of the first games I beat. Its was a wonderful experience and its still one of my favorit games of all time.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong Country 1 on SNES or the original Kriby's Dream Land. Super Mario World followed shortly after those 2.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I would believe Mario RPG at 8 years old maybe.

I've always struggled to finish games. My father would buy all the good games but as a kid it was too difficult to go through super Castlevania or super metroid. FF6 got too complicated. Then earlier at the NES I could not finish any. We had big nose, daisy, ff1, even Mario bros was too difficult.

Now today the only game I can't seem to finish because of its difficulty is sekiro.

I've beaten every from software game until this. Sekiro bosses kick my ass. I just can't be fast enough to jump or block at the good time.

It's weird because I'm pretty good at Ninja gaiden but here it's 30fps and imput lag turns me off.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Adventure is my answer, and I was going to mention it was the first game I was ever aware of that actually had an ending.

I played it on an emulator recently to show my kids the kind of games I played at their age and I still had the invisible area completely memorized via muscle memory. I was dumbfounded and amazed.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PokƩmon Red. I feel so young compared to everyone here who started with NES or SNES games, LOL

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Weird ass pick because I know there were genesis era games but I remember beating shadow of the empire on n64. I was so proud. that game was hard as hell

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
220px-Chip_%27n_Dale_Rescue_Rangers_NES_Cover.png

It was my second NES cart after the SMB/DH pack-in cart.

I have fond memories of my father arriving home with it on his way home from work one day. Don't know if there was a specific occasion attached to the gift or if it was "just because".

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Prince of Persia (DOS version). Also the joint first game I got along with Street Fighter 1(also DOS). Never completed SF1 as it was one of US Gold's legendarily bad ports of an already average game.

Fond memories of POP include:

shock of the skeleton
working out how to get through the mirror
shadow self closing a door on you causing you to fall into a pit
the level straight after where if you don't catch a ledge in the first second you die