• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
It sucks tho because there's a huge difference between 'Animal reacts badly to humans being around and might attack' vs 'Humans poke tiger, get eaten'.

These decisions are not made lightly, and (as contradictory as it sounds) are often made by people who care deeply about the welfare of these animals. Walrus attacks, while incredibly, incredibly infrequent, are not unheard of and can be fatal - in 2016 a tourist taking a selfie with a walrus in Asia was dragged into the water, held under and drowned. This is the scenario, I imagine, they were looking to avoid.

If humans begin to perceive animals as a threat, the results to populations can be devastating. For example, somewhere in the region of 400+ snow leopards are killed by humans annually, many in retaliation for livestock predation.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
yeah it sucks. But I 'understand' that she was a danger for people who got to close (they can turn aggressive). So yeah, if people would have just kept a distance and left her alone this most likely wouldnt have happened.
Walruses come on solid ground (shore, ice, rocks, boats...) to sleep / nap for 16-20 hours per day. Freya was under constant stress due to people, so her health started to deteriorate, not to mention that she could switch into aggro mode at any moment.

IIRC there was a story of wandering walrus last year (or two years ago). He went from Spain to UK. After a break he swam to Iceland and then further north. But he was not disturbed during his rest days. So if Freya went undisturbed (at least 100 m no go perimeter around the animal) this would not happen.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
IIRC there was a story of wandering walrus last year (or two years ago). He went from Spain to UK. After a break he swam to Iceland and then further north. But he was not disturbed during his rest days. So if Freya went undisturbed (at least 100 m no go perimeter around the animal) this would not happen.

yeah, and humans being humans, they couldnt even leave that poor thing alone :(

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Yah I ain't buying your story that this was your only option when you aren't specifying what these risks are.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I had to double check if i read this correctly when i saw this in the news. Apparently, the animal was put down because "people couldn't leave it alone (taking selfies, throwing things at it,…) hence the animal became a danger to humans". And there was not one other solution to this problem…

Last edited:

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
For many weeks it's stayed around crowded recreational areas with bathing people, who predictably are idiots. It's not very surprising that this is the result.

Jul 19, 2020
Unfortunate it came to this but sounds like the right call was made. Sucks that some people couldn't just leave her alone and had to make authorities weigh up the risks of leaving her be and having idiots keep rolling the dice when approaching her.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Would have moving her to some Zoo or whatever made it better for her? It's not like Zoos are happy places for the animals living within them either.

This sucks obviously but what would have been the realistic options?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
You lot are so fucking weird.

RIP the Walrus though.

A lot of people here care much for animals than humans, which I kind of understand, but it's a rather childish view when you consider how cruel and merciless nature as a whole tends to be. But I guess everyone thinks nature is like their domestic pets and they all just get along or something.

As far as the walrus, I agree it's sad, though, that another solution could not be found.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
A lot of people here care much for animals than humans, which I kind of understand, but it's a rather childish view when you consider how cruel and merciless nature as a whole tends to be. But I guess everyone thinks nature is like their domestic pets and they all just get along or something.

As far as the walrus, I agree it's sad, though, that another solution could not be found.

you mean this documentary lied to me?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
what kind of motherfuckers let their children throw rocks at an animal. What the fuck.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Freya will be etched into the Mount Rushmore of animal tragedies along with Harambe.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Would have moving her to some Zoo or whatever made it better for her? It's not like Zoos are happy places for the animals living within them either.

This sucks obviously but what would have been the realistic options?
No room for her at a local aquarium sadly.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I find it hard to believe that there were no preservation society's at least that were willing to move her. I could absolutely see a huge rush to donate money to save Freya and move her somewhere. Of course, that would take some time to actually move her so they said fuck it and killed her.

Last edited:

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
These decisions are not made lightly, and (as contradictory as it sounds) are often made by people who care deeply about the welfare of these animals.

Seems the biology professor that was tracking Freya says it was a rushed decision. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a rush job just cause it sank the wrong boat of some higher up.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Seems the biology professor that was tracking Freya says it was a rushed decision. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a rush job just cause it sank the wrong boat of some higher up.
Kinda wish they were patient. I wonder if seasonal changes would've solved the issue.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine they could have done an online campaign on social media: help us find an aquarium that has room and you'd have like half this thread calling up aquariums or at least someone on Reddit who works at one would see it and bug their director.

Asking the internet to start harassing random aquariums is a terrible, terrible plan. It wouldn't work out how you're imagining.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Why not start a go fund me to build a habitat for her ? Like I get it, but, no one tried. So the "humans are the worst" crowd are still correct.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
There's a couple grizzly bears from Idaho whose mom taught them to raid camps for food. For safety reasons, they now reside at the San Diego Zoo.

It's a real shame they couldn't find a home at a zoo or aquarium for that walrus.

SevKnight

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
City of Apples
No vigilante justice for the insufferable desk monkey that ordered her death?

How about instead of killing these chill animals, we kill the homosapiens that harass them?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No vigilante justice for the insufferable desk monkey that ordered her death?

How about instead of killing these chill animals, we kill the homosapiens that harass them?

Right, so your plan is to just shoot a bunch of people who are mostly trying to get shitty photos for their instagram. Or Tiktok, or whatever people use nowadays. I'm sure that would definitely end well.

You know, sometimes I think it's a good job we aren't in charge of making political decisions.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right, so your plan is to just shoot a bunch of people who are mostly trying to get shitty photos for their instagram. Or Tiktok, or whatever people use nowadays. I'm sure that would definitely end well.

You know, sometimes I think it's a good job we aren't in charge of making political decisions.
I'm not agreeing with the poster but if we're killing animals to please shitty social media posters in the first place then that's also rather indefensible

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This obviously wasn't the only option. Whoever made the call just wanted the easiest one. Fucking pieces of shit whoever went through with this. I guarantee there could've been an online fundraiser to relocate this poor walrus to somewhere else.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
You lot should have singned an online petition on change dot org or whatever these always work

SevKnight

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
City of Apples
User Banned (1 Month): Advocating Violence over Multiple Posts

We're simping for rich assholes now? 😂 The same rich assholes who caused 80% of the pollution that supercharged climate change?

Nah fam, fuck them. That "class" of Humanity is very destructive, ignorant and straight up worthless. We need to cull them if we plan on fixing our species and this planet.
Tbh most politicians already have Era beat. 😝

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
What the heck is even going on in here?

Gonna temp lock this and go through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.