• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
God that is a badly written email. Imagine owning a company and writing like that

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
With North Dakota being as rural as it is there are probably a lot of people in hard to reach places that small local ISP's like this are there only option sadly. Our broadband infrastructure in America fucking sucks especially for rural folks.

Very sadly true, though this is a problem with cable and ISP companies as a whole in this country. The monopolies they essentially possess in many areas give customers no choice when they are dissatisfied with service (Or they pull ridiculous shit like this).

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
The shittiest thing about this is that most of these rural companies get grants to provide high speed to users. That Obama put in place.

This company is likely the only reason a good amount of people are able to even be online.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoo boy.

Looking at every page is like finding a blast to the past amateur Geocities nostalgia. And that random capitalization...

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lmao at the ISP website. Is it the 90s again

Screenshot-20210111-142948.png
Man, their eleven customers are going to be PISSED

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
So this person is getting back at Twitter,Amazon, Google and Apple for blocking a conservative garbage dumb....by blocking people who are likely conservative from accessing the internet at all?

Owning yourself to own the libs?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
"We don't support blocking access to certain content. Therefore, we're blocking access to certain content."

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just flew into the Priest River airport last night for my NeoFly career in Flight Sim.

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW they changed their stance today and now the sites will only be blocked by request

https://www.krem.com/article/news/l...tter/293-867cc22b-fb90-4142-a296-8d800d2a03fb

Initially, the company said too many customers had requested the sites be blocked, so it would block them for all customers except for those who called the company and requested access. However, the company backtracked on Monday and said those who didn't request the sites be blocked would still have access.

It sounds like the original reason was really that they are just 3 dudes and it was too much work to block it for 2/3rds of their customers so they said fuck it, unblock by request instead.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I now understand why my sister and her husband who are living in Idaho cancelled their internet just after a couple of months, they decided just using phone data and going to places that have free WiFi was better than dealing with garbage ISPs in the area.

This is why I'm happy for things like T-Mobile and Verizon's home internet services.

Sure, they're not the fastest, but it'll break up the monopolies that rural carriers have.

For example, where I live in South Dakota (New Underwood, which is 20 miles east of Rapid City on I-90), my only option for internet was DSL, with these prices.
  • 25mbps for $65
  • 50mbps for $85
  • 100mbps for $105
I switched when T-Mobile opened their home internet up on our tower, and I'm paying $50 and get around 50mbps, which is more then sufficient for our needs and costs me $50 less. I'm really looking forward to when they enable 5G on it. Low band 5G would be fantastic.

People really underestimate how awful rural internet options are.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
What's-her-face was wondering where the "red internet" was (because she thinks the internet at large is blue).

Well, here it is.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
They have that many customers asking to block it, because they can't figure it out themselves?

How long until it takes too long to unlock those that do want access.

😂🤣

Edit :
I see they have already gone back to opting out.

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Lmao at the ISP website. Is it the 90s again

Screenshot-20210111-142948.png

"...that use ARE service on a daily basis".

How'd this jackass even manage to get a website up and running?

I'm so confused by all of this though. If you want Twitter to be "blocked" for you, can't you just not use Twitter? Like I don't need Breitbart blocked, because I'll just never go a a Breitbart site. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
"It's too hard to process blacklists for users on a case-by-case basis, so we'll blanket ban it and you need to contact us to whitelist it on a case-by-case basis."

This is incompetence lmao.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Very sadly true, though this is a problem with cable and ISP companies as a whole in this country. The monopolies they essentially possess in many areas give customers no choice when they are dissatisfied with service (Or they pull ridiculous shit like this).

Honestly I doubt you could find many or any companies interested in competing with this ISP because they can't make money doing it. Sure other companies could probably do wireless but it would be similar speeds/service and I know from experience from my company if say the local electric coop decided to lay down fiber lines they're looking at maybe 15+ years to turn a profit on the cost of doing that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a pretty good example of what a lot of ISPs would likely do if S230 was repealed outright instead of reformed. S230 protects ISPs from litigation as much as social media platforms.

This.... of course... is fucking crazy

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the people upset are exactly the type of people that use Facebook the most. Trumpers and conspiracy theorist republicans cutting themselves off from spewing their garbage is never a bad thing.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even remember the last time I saw speeds being described as "T1". That's like 15 years ago. I get that it's rural internet, so it's not the fastest, but still

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to guess a lawsuit is going to happen. Imagine if you had to face Twitter and Facebook's lawyers at the same time.