• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Last month, a lobbyist approached Kyle Davison, a North Dakota state senator, with an unusual proposal: a law to stop Apple and Google from forcing companies in the state to hand over a share of their app sales.

Mr. Davison, a Republican, was focused on bills related to a $200,000 literacy program and birth records for the homeless. But he was intrigued by the lobbyist's arguments that the tech giants were hurting small businesses, and he thought such a law could attract tech companies to North Dakota. So he introduced it.

"She said to me that this could be big. But to me, that means the local newspaper is going to come with a camera," Mr. Davison, 60, said. "I would not be truthful if I said I expected the reaction."

Mr. Davison said he had been given the draft legislation by Lacee Bjork Anderson, a lobbyist with Odney Public Affairs in Bismarck. Ms. Anderson said in an interview that she had been hired by Epic Games, the maker of the popular game Fortnite and the plaintiff in lawsuits against Apple and Google over their app policies. She said she was also being paid by the Coalition for App Fairness, a group of firms, including Epic, Spotify and Match Group, that has protested app commissions and is leading the push for app-store bills.

www.nytimes.com

Big Tech’s Unlikely Next Battleground: North Dakota (Published 2021)

A vote on a bill this week is part of a movement that could cost Apple and Google billions of dollars. State legislatures are becoming the fight’s new front.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, Tim Epic is just worried about the little guy with his $10 billion net worth.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
The Apple engineer saying it would destroy iPhones probably made Epic look better to be honest. This whole thing is greedy companies wanting more money on both sides and using the consumer as an excuse for that. Nothing will change either way for us regardless of what happens if anything they'll get more anti consumer.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
north dakota had so many of its laws just written by the corporations doing business there that the voters had to put an ethics commission on the ballot themselves because the lawmakers werent doing it

the state has been pillaged by the oil boom, companies coming in and taking everything promising that tomorrow theyll definitely give some money back in taxes... tomorrow for sure, while literally every piece of infrastructure was being ravaged and falling apart. it was the closest thing to the wild west in modern america. now its over and the whole state is just left with all the problems that will still be lingering for years and no money to fix any of it because the politicians drank their own messaging kool aid that if they just stayed out of everything it would all be sunshine and rainbows. and they were right! if you consider sunshine and rainbows as homelessness, drug abuse, and suicide

north dakota politics are very very fucked. theyre all morons

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Famc5JB.gif

Getting into the legislative stuff too? This is gonna be a fun war.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would've been less embarrassing if epic did this from the start instead of attempting to weaponize kids

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
It continually saddens me that the corruption of US politics and the process of how bills have been basically drafted up for, and essentially sponsored by, lobbyists for corporations has been shouted about for decades by journalists, satirists and critics yet it's only when it affects JONATHAN US GAMER that a sizable chunk of gamers pay attention like this is anything new.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to read some of the hottakes on political policies. Also anyone that would willingly defend any multi billion dollar market cap or better yet $1T+ cap is clearly not woke enough to understand the modern political, socioeconomic and oligarchy system we have in place.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
north dakota had so many of its laws just written by the corporations doing business there that the voters had to put an ethics commission on the ballot themselves because the lawmakers werent doing it

the state has been pillaged by the oil boom, companies coming in and taking everything promising that tomorrow theyll definitely give some money back in taxes... tomorrow for sure, while literally every piece of infrastructure was being ravaged and falling apart. it was the closest thing to the wild west in modern america. now its over and the whole state is just left with all the problems that will still be lingering for years and no money to fix any of it because the politicians drank their own messaging kool aid that if they just stayed out of everything it would all be sunshine and rainbows. and they were right! if you consider sunshine and rainbows as homelessness, drug abuse, and suicide

north dakota politics are very very fucked. theyre all morons

That's Republican 'government' in a nutshell - where 'government' is a bad word and corporations dictate everything.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man that whole "Steam is a monopoly" spiel sure went down the drain fast when you also start to act like a monopoly yourself, attempting to thwart companies OS stores for the sake of profit.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Man that whole "Steam is a monopoly" spiel sure went down the drain fast when you also start to act like a monopoly yourself, attempting to thwart companies OS stores for the sake of profit.

The logic being, the platform vendor has a monopoly on the sales commission, so everyone should be allowed to sell on the marketplace and not be charged any commissions. It's not even a conversation entertaining yet somehow through lobbying, here we are. Make your own platform and let everyone use it for free, oh wait, can't do that on EGS huh?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Lobbying and sponsoring is nothin unusual, but allowing that company drafts the bill is something strange for me.

As far as I know this lowkey has been going on for years if not decades. The money decides whats going into bills like this so whats the difference if they dont officially 'write' it when they are dictating whats in it. Straight up gross, but this is just them saying the quiet part out loud. This is common unfortunately.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The logic being, the platform vendor has a monopoly on the sales commission, so everyone should be allowed to sell on the marketplace and not be charged any commissions. It's not even a conversation entertaining yet somehow through lobbying, here we are. Make your own platform and let everyone use it for free, oh wait, can't do that on EGS huh?
That's what I find so hilarious, because Epic could very easily make their own "OS" instead of forcing a piggyback on others through legislation. But hey that's too hard so why not burn money and use that amazing American political system that's fair and just*. *Fairness and justice only guaranteed if you are a rich company with enough political swing, or white.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I mean, I shouldn't be surprised by anything happening with US politics, especially after last 4 years, but yeah, I am surprised. I still think this will be declared invalid since a State is trying to regulate interstate commerce.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Well i can't read the article, but this was lobbied by a group made up of firms of which Epic is a part of?

That's a lot of mediation that probably happens every day, with all big publishers and console manufacturers on some side of law or another.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I still don't understand how Tim just ignores consoles through all of this.. lawyers certainly won't if any law actually passes.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Epic and Tim Sweeney can go fuck themselves. Make your own phone or shut the hell up

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
if the Eu is your only guidepost
Yes, lobbying exists in countries like South Korea, Mexico, and Japan, but again, none of those countries deal with the sheer amount of capital that US politicians handle. Like handling $3.5 billion dollars from special interest groups, both in and outside of the country. And compared to the EU, lobbying is less regulated in the states simply because everything is blanketed under the first amendment. This is just scratching the surface of it and we haven't talked about domestic policies affected by special interest groups like the NRA.

Yes. It's worse than any other country.

RedLangley

Oct 21, 2020
Reminds me of this meme, lol.
bt6pom6rnft51.jpg

But it's really terrible how "normal" of a mechanism lobbying is in politics.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
I think the process behind all of this sucks - but as for the legislation itself what ways would this hurt the end user, or hurt developers outside of Google/Apple? I'd like the ability to sideload onto iOS devices and it sounds like this potentially directs there?