• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VSK4Fdy.png

A North Carolina police officer has gone viral after a passerby caught a precious moment between him and a homeless woman.

On Wednesday, Chris Barnes posted a Facebook photo taken by his wife Cassie. According to Barnes, Cassie was on her lunch break when she spotted Goldsboro police officer Michael Rivers sitting on the side of the road with a homeless woman when she decided to snap a photo. The pair were sharing a pizza and soda as they conversed.

Barnes captioned the picture, "Cassie was out on her lunch break and observed Goldsboro's Finest enjoying lunch with a homeless person. Law enforcement does so much for our community, with a lot of it going unnoticed. We see you Goldsboro P.D. Keep up the good work."

Officer Rivers, who is an 8-year veteran of the Goldsboro Police Department, recalls seeing the woman earlier that day. "I was leaving the parking lot of Walmart and she was standing by the stop sign," he tells Yahoo Lifestyle. "Her shirt read, 'Homeless the fastest way of becoming a nobody.' I hated that she felt that way."

Rivers says he spoke to her briefly. "I always try to talk to the homeless just to see how they got into their situation, you know? Because, like I tell everybody, it can happen to any one of us...at any given moment."

After Rivers drove away, he circled back to ask if the woman was hungry and if she wanted food. She was honored by his offer.

Rivers bought pizza and Mountain Dew and when the pair sat down to eat, he learned of her family struggles and told her, "Hey, you still got stuff to live for...you still got your life ahead of you. It's never too late."

Rivers, who does recruiting for the Goldsboro PD, hopes to send a message of compassion for others.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pol...with-homeless-woman-goes-viral-231522230.html

Arrest me if old

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Amazing copaganda

"Rivers, who does recruiting for the Goldsboro PD, hopes to send a message of compassion for others."

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Disregarding the concerns of minority members
That's a really nice gesture from that dude, appreciate people like that and hope it's genuine and from a good place 🥰

edit: jeez this thread's comments were a bummer from post 1. You're allowed to feel positive about some things guys. I'll give you permission.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
That's a really nice gesture from that dude, appreciate people like that and hope it's genuine and from a good place 🥰

edit: jeez this thread's comments were a bummer from post 1. You're allowed to feel positive about some things guys. I'll give you permission.

No one is saying this isn't a good story, you can feel positive about this instance. However, stories like this aren't shared in a vacuum.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Disregarding the concerns of minority members
OP you have committed the cardinal sin of creating a positive thread in this forum. You should have replaced "cop" with "human" so that you had a slightly better chance of eliciting a more positive response.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Honest and sincere question, do those of you who immediately knee jerk say "ACAB" truly believe every single human being in a cop outfit is a bastard?

I do agree there are police groups that are corrupt and mob like. I believe it's the executive arm of systemic racism. But it's not right to think in black and white, in absolutes, on anything. On a personal account, cops have protected my safety, saved my life and helped me when others couldn't. Good people exist, sometimes they are in a cop outfit.

We need to stop alienating and excluding groups if we're going to change the world in the best way. It's a war of ideas and cops do see one side saying blue lives matter while seeing the other side saying ACAB. I think that language matters. BLACK LIVES MATTER BY THE WAY I WILL NOT BE MISCONSTRUED ON THAT.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
User Banned (3 Months): Disregarding the concerns of minority members and inflammatory comparison. Prior severe ban for inflammatory false equivalence around race.
OP you have committed the cardinal sin of creating a positive thread in this forum. You should have replaced "cop" with "human" so that you had a slightly better chance of eliciting a more positive response.
Lol pretty much, we talk about the lack of care and compassion for the homeless so I thought just maybe but nah.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Disregarding the concerns of minority members
News: Nice thing

ERA: WHAT IF THING IS ACTUALLY BAD?!

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Disregarding the concern of minority members
Can't help but be reminded of that thread on the negativity in this community, looking through this thread.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good, positive story under bad circumstances. Thanks for sharing it.

We need more compassion for those who need help.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
News: Nice thing

ERA:WHAT IF THING IS ACTUALLY BAD?!
In this world today, I'll take what I can get. Even if this was a FULLY scripted and orchestrated social media move on the behalf of the local police department, it still spread the positive message of not forgetting those on the corner of the street we see every other day. And the message that it doesn't take much for any one of us to be in the same position. We're equals. We just have a roof over our heads while they're struggling to figure that out every fucking day.

So yes, I am GLAD that the lady with the depressing shirt got some fucking PIZZA.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Like I've posted before on this forum and the other, people are allowed to do good things even if their profession sucks.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Like I've posted before on this forum and the other, people are allowed to do good things even if their profession sucks.
I wouldn't say the profession itself sucks. Do cops from other countries get the same heat?

I'm definitely not in the ACAB camp, but the pushback is coming from years of cops being used to enforce racist agendas. The drug war is a great example. White people use as much cannabis percentage-wise as blacks, yet jails are full of black people on low-level drug crimes. The system itself is broken in the US.

This is not trivial, you're destroying lives as once you have a criminal record, it's almost impossible to get a job. That then creates a downward spiral that affects individuals, communities, and generations.

But my take is not to blame individual cops, especially those that are people of integrity. It's a systematic issue. Yet, a lot of the rancor also comes from bad cops not being held accountable.

I do feel just shitting on individual cops that do good things muddies the water. It is a systemic issue that requires more forethought and strategy than saying ACAB. ACAB accomplishes nothing. We need to reform the system from the top down.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who thinks this is a positive story should stop and ask themselves: "Why is it newsworthy when a cop is nice to a homeless person?"

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
its not even just what you see in the open, you have massive private facebook groups that shows you how widespread and fucked the police are.

remember that cop on neogaf that got invited into one? dude ended up making a thread asking about what he should do because of the awful shit he was seeing. he closed the thread.

my beef isnt with this cop though, at. all. he did a good thing as far as i can tell.

id like to take a look at this couples facebook... i have a feeling i know the type.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Hostility, Dismissing concerns of racism
Saying and believing ACAB is the exhibiting a low level of intelligence or at least an oversimplified view of the world.

There is a clear systemic problem in countries like the US which has awful consequences. However, I believe that they are still good people that joined the police to help and protect the citizen, even if it is a minority.

So yeah, it is a good gesture from him.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Disregarding the concerns of minority members
Anyone who thinks this is a positive story should stop and ask themselves: "Why is it newsworthy when a cop is nice to a homeless person?"
Because the world is full of bad people and when someone does something good it's a nice change of pace and you can start to have a little faith in humanity?

Some of you are just so skeptical, smh.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a kind gesture from one individual cop which doesn't change anything about his complicity in an institution designed to kill and surveil marginalized people.

The entire point of ACAB is that the institution of (especially American) police and its bigoted violence transcends any individual acts of good from individual cops like this.

"Why say ACAB if one cop did one kind thing??" misses the point.

I don't even think ACAB as much as most people who use the term do, but it's easy to see why it's being said and why "this cop had lunch with a homeless woman, wow!" does not work, at all, as a retort.

Status
Not open for further replies.