• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How is that funny exactly? I want Steam to step up their game, I want all of them to step up their game. You see because unlike most people here I have no problems using all of them on my PC. This isn't 1995 any more, our hardware can handle it. I'll just go where I can get the best deal/experience combo. I evaluate the pros and cons, and buy where I feel it's the best deal overall. Simple.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
I don't care about the April features, but it worries me that Epic can't even manage the first suite of minor features ahead of more important ones like cloud saves.

Nintendo Online looks polished next to Epic's product management. And while people like blowing Epic's failures out of proportion, the EGS sale was handled rather confusingly in some regards.

If anything, the company looks like it's suffering from too much crunch rather than too little.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Instead of the sale, I'd have preferred they just remove all those exclusivity contracts. Third party exclusives, especially ones specifically taken off other stores, are awful. Get rid of those and I could probably deal with the lack of features.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Epic doesn't think they need any consumer facing features to attract customers. This "roadmap" was just used as a PR tool to quiet critics. Most of the stuff on it will probably never happen.

Last edited:

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Is there literally any reason to use Epic as a platform over Steam other than exclusive games?

And no, I don't count 'sticking it to Steam' as a reason, because nobody should be that personally invested in corporate distribution platform wars.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other users
How is that funny exactly? I want Steam to step up their game, I want all of them to step up their game. You see because unlike most people here I have no problems using all of them on my PC. This isn't 1995 any more, our hardware can handle it. I'll just go where I can get the best deal/experience combo. I evaluate the pros and cons, and buy where I feel it's the best deal overall. Simple.

I am not sure that holds water when you push that argument in an unrelated thread to Epic. Then again I guess the mod who warned you , agrees.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the swimlane on the Trello always labeled as Near Term (1-3 months)? Was there a blog post somewhere that targeted these features for April?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They should just lock off that Trello and tell everyone to pound sand tbh

Don't make public timelines you might be unable to keep

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So we're all rioting against crunch but also rioting when they miss a soft deadline by two months? People really like to have their cake and eat it, too.

I fail to see how epic aren't accountable for setting their own deadlines and failing to meet them.

I fail to see how this is suddenly the customers fault 😂
It has been covered multiple times in this thread, and others, why this whole ass take is shitty, dismissive, and disingenuous.
Or, you know, you wait to start buying up exclusives when your fucking store is actually ready? It's crazy, I know.

But of course, you're not being honest with your critique, just like a vast majority of people supporting this nonsense.
You wanna give an appropriate deadline which you think its fine for when people should give a pass before they are allowed to riot?
Please stop with this bullshit, people can point out missed deadlines without being advocates for crunch jfc.
You act as if nothing ever gets done without abusing the workers. You do know that it's possible for a company to be both productive and humane?
No middle ground huh? You're either two months late to ship a single feature or you're working 60 hours a week to do so.

... I think he was just calling back to this post from back when this thread started:

So we're all rioting against crunch but also rioting when they miss a soft deadline by like a month? People really like to have their cake and eat it, too.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the swimlane on the Trello always labeled as Near Term (1-3 months)? Was there a blog post somewhere that targeted these features for April?
Every card in the near-term category has a Target Month written on them. The May dates were initially April and it looks like they will not be shipped in May either.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there literally any reason to use Epic as a platform over Steam other than exclusive games?
In some cases (depending on your region) customers can get the game cheaper than on Steam. Can't think of many other reasons from a customer perspective atm.

They should just lock off that Trello and tell everyone to pound sand tbh

Don't make public timelines you might be unable to keep
That public Trello was a huge marketing success and a genius strategy. People got some bulletpoints like "see they are improving their store!" when Epic desperately need some positive spin in the public discussion. It doesn't really matter now if Epic actually delivers on their promise because the marketing push already happend.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
So we're all rioting against crunch but also rioting when they miss a soft deadline by like a month? People really like to have their cake and eat it, too.
So we're all rioting against crunch but also rioting when they miss a soft deadline by two months? People really like to have their cake and eat it, too.

Both of these are results of mismanagement. Epic failing to deliver features on time is certainly not people asking for crunch rather than expecting Epic to actually invest into the necessary resources to provide these basic storefront features. That means improving management and potentially expanding the team working on EGS' features, and certainly not subjecting their devs to even worse conditions than they are already working under.

After all Epic definitely has the money to do so looking at all them exclusivity contracts. They just don't want to because capitalism.

PS: And I know I'm leaning heavily into my armchair here. My point is basically that I don't think that making sure you hit your deadlines and crunch have to go hand-in-hand.

Last edited:

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am not sure that holds water when you push that argument in an unrelated thread to Epic. Then again I guess the mod who warned you , agrees.
I claimed that was not how Valve fought back, implying that I want them to fight back, improve Steam. It's not that complicated...

Also the mod who warned me simply thought my post didn't contribute much to the thread, it says nothing about my mentality as he has no idea what that is, although, I just told you what it was so do with it what you want. You should check my steam profile btw...

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019

And no, I don't count 'sticking it to Steam' as a reason, because nobody should be that personally invested in corporate distribution platform wars.
Not really. Unless you actually believe that Steam has a monopoly or something and think that supporting EGS is fighting against it for some reason.
Probably worth asking as an outsider, what were the May Improvements and were they reached?
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/epic-games-store-update, https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap - cloud saves, improved DLC support and two other things I have no idea what they mean. And well, May hasn't come to an end yet but so far none of those features were implemented to EGS.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I claimed that was not how Valve fought back, implying that I want them to fight back, improve Steam. It's not that complicated...

Also the mod who warned me simply thought my post didn't contribute much to the thread, it says nothing about my mentality as he has no idea what that is, although, I just told you what it was so do with it what you want. You should check my steam profile btw...
I mean, the same week the Spring Cleaning event happened, Steam had launched an improved Steam Chat app for Android and IOS, so if you wanted them to fight by improving Steam, they were also doing that.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be an incredible OOF if there aren't even cloud saves in time for Borderlands 3.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Only reason I use it really. That's fine with me tbh. I got Close to the Sun on a good sale and I haven't had any issues running it/or using a controller. Same goes for Dauntless, so I'm satisfied personally. I realize it's very hands off when it comes to features. I just want to hit play and play.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's the title update. Will be interesting to see how the conversation unfolds now that Epic's roadmap for EGS has been all but revealed to be another one of their PR-friendly white lies

Last edited:

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Both are failures of management strategy. Both happen because of improperly measuring project time. They're just symptoms of the same root cause.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for cloud saves

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both are failures of management strategy. Both happen because of improperly measuring project time. They're just symptoms of the same root cause.

And as such both can be criticized without being hypocritical. You are right Dant21, The're far too many corporate apologists in here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop it with this BS. Many if these updates are industry standards that should have been in at launch. But Tim and his rush to destroy Steam rushed the shit out of this. EGS should have launched next year so it could be on par with most other storefronts.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Derailing the criticism that comes from our frankly trite discussions by conflating serious human interest issues has become a distinct and recognizable behavior. Be a sport and don't go so low so fast.

I would be very excited if epic launcher started catching up to steam in terms of capabilities. That would be great. I would still be against their notably aggressive exclusive buying spree. However, I do like the thought of a real steam competitor. as we know, I can't be the only one.

Unfortunately, we have this unfortunate situation where they don't seem very serious about getting anywhere close to steam on that front. Weak.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Never forget:

cloudy1kuf.png

I fully expect BL3 to launch without cloud saves or achievements or any other noteworthy features

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
STOP using crunch to back up you being a corporate apologist.

EPIC published the roadmap and EPIC missed their own goals. Nobody but EPIC is to blame for this failure. And yes, they made it public, so they also have to own up the fallout of not meeting customers expectations set by EPIC. Absolutely no customers forced them to do anything.

I'm starting to suspect the Steam Spy guy is the only Epic employee assigned to work on the store. They have not only missed their improvement deadlines, but Ubi games are still not back on sale. All their store budget is going to bribing people to keep their games off other storefronts, they don't care about making the store usable/scalable/flexible (as in you can exclude some games from sale without taking them off the store completely) at all .

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
If you're fine with this logic and can specifically write two months off, then you can at least explicitly state the acceptable deadline you have that you're personally holding it to.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Very disappointing.

All I need is cloud saves as SSD space is limited. Had to back up my metro save through Google drive LMAO.

My outlook isn't as grim as some in here who think these features will never arrive but I gotta scratch my chin and wonder why they thought it would be May. Cloud saves was a definite may even back in April. So when they delayed April's updates and reshuffled others Cloud Saves were still May.

Here's hoping for a early June or an end of month update.

Jaina

Oct 27, 2017
Please stop responding to the crunch post from a month ago or Chance Hale's copypasta of it :')
IMO the discussion has moved on.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Please stop responding to the crunch post from a month ago or Chance Hale's copypasta of it :')
IMO the discussion has moved on.

Hey, you don't have to tell me twice.

If you're fine with this logic and can specifically write two months off, then you can at least explicitly state the acceptable deadline you have that you're personally holding it to.

Since this is just a copypasta of my post (which gained far more traction than I expected) I should clarify that I don't have a personal deadline and frankly haven't been keeping up with it. I was simply criticizing people who had not waited even a day to start slamming EGS for missing a deadline. Though I do think they should have implemented a couple more features before their first sale, it was awkward making multiple purchases without a shopping cart.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Very disappointing.

All I need is cloud saves as SSD space is limited. Had to back up my metro save through Google drive LMAO.

My outlook isn't as grim as some in here who think these features will never arrive but I gotta scratch my chin and wonder why they thought it would be May. Cloud saves was a definite may even back in April. So when they delayed April's updates and reshuffled others Cloud Saves were still May.

Here's hoping for a early June or an end of month update.

Here's hoping for any updates. Cloud saves were supposed to come out in Feb.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Never forget:

cloudy1kuf.png

I fully expect BL3 to launch without cloud saves or achievements or any other noteworthy features
This gets reposted a lot and it's just misinformation.

Of all the legitimate criticisms towards EGS this is not one of them. Implementing a brand new cloud save framework is NOT the same as plugging into an existing (Steam) framework.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
They updater their roadmap

p6BeVb6.png

Most things are moved for July at earliest.

On the bright side, the feature of not crashing on some CPU's is very important!

This gets reposted a lot and it's just misinformation.

Of all the legitimate criticisms towards EGS this is not one of them. Implementing a brand new cloud save framework is NOT the same as plugging into an existing (Steam) framework.

That doesn't affect the tasty irony of the tweet however.