• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I've heard that Valve kinda sucks to work for, but more in a "The management structure is really frustrating and getting anything done is a struggle" way than a "crunch time boyz" way.

Yea, their weird fake cooperative model. As a political leftist, I'm interested in that kind of structure, but it's a bit hollow as long as there's still a small circle of owners who have final say in allocation of profits.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Did steam kill somebody's family or something? The defence force for Epic for the sake of "sticking it to steam" have gotten way more culty than steam defence force ever was, jesus. It's nothing but moving goalposts at this point.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How's the crunch at Valve? I'll never install EGS.
It's quite known that HL2's crunch was brutal. So much that it completely burned out a bunch of devs at the time. Thankfully, that was an apparent wake-up call for them, as I've read that crunch isn't much of a thing there anymore. Of course they have a myriad of other problems, but underpaying and overworking their employees aren't them.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I went to the EGS store for the first time ever last week. I've decided not to support EPIC in this do have not bought a game from the service.
Holy shit maybe I'm spoiled by Steam, but the EGS is more barebones than I even thought possible. Here I was expecting a CART, any organization of games other than 1 big list on the front page, forums, reviews, etc etc
It's simply embarrassing and unforgivable the state their "store" is in today, made worse by the fact that in 3 months they have made nearly 0 improvements to it. I'll keep Steam and be happy with it.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I went to the EGS store for the first time ever last week. I've decided not to support EPIC in this do have not bought a game from the service.
Holy shit maybe I'm spoiled by Steam, but the EGS is more barebones than I even thought possible. Here I was expecting a CART, any organization of games other than 1 big list on the front page, forums, reviews, etc etc
It's simply embarrassing and unforgivable the state their "store" is in today, made worse by the fact that in 3 months they have made nearly 0 improvements to it. I'll keep Steam and be happy with it.

It's so damn pernicious. That's why I won't even install it to get the free games. If it's a question of publishers absolutely refusing to accept the 30% take anymore, I'd rather pay for Steam than be locked into EGS. Hell, if it would get EA and Activision to abandon their shitty apps and go back on Steam, it would be worth it.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Is it that hard to add a playtime counter? I'm too excited for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw to boycott the store but it still sucks.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it that hard to add a playtime counter? I'm too excited for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw to boycott the store but it still sucks.

I wish GoG Galaxy 2.0 wasn't still in beta, you can integrate the EGS stuff directly into GoG and it has a playtime counter! It also looks pretty. I cannot wait for the full release with more official integrations, never going back to individual clients if I don't have to.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Has Epic every even talked about adding cloud saves and achievements to games?

I haven't noticed a single update or improvement to the store in months. It baffles me that Epic would throw around so much money, yet put almost nothing into the development of its storefront.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
And with good, legitimate reasons that have been covered countless times.
Not really. It seems to be mostly people upset that Epic is getting exclusive games. I don't understand this console wars mentality; if Borderlands 3 is only available on EGS and you want to play the game, just buy it on EGS. I don't see the problem. It's not like you have to spend money on a new console.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It seems to be mostly people upset that Epic is getting exclusive games. I don't understand this console wars mentality; if Borderlands 3 is only available on EGS and you want to play the game, just buy it on EGS. I don't see the problem. It's not like you have to spend money on a new console.

They're... upset the games are exclusive because it doesn't offer many of the features that are found on the Steam platform that assist with many quality of life aspects of playing the game: Such as arbitrary controller support, which is a huge thing for me. While I do use DS4Windows, Steam offers honestly (in my opinion) better support than it for the games that are available on its said platform than having to use an external program to make use of it. Plus there's plenty of other controller support, including handling legacy DirectInput support and converting it to work like Xinput for modern games.

Plus there's a huge community support, feed back, steam overlay so you can quickly browse and search while playing the game...

And there's plenty more from that too.

That's why people are upset about exclusives. Plus, there's also the fact these deals targeted Kickstarters where guaranteed platforms were already offered to backers (usually made upfront at the start of the campaign, or made clearer as the game is set closer to release, with platforms offered in surveys). Sometimes right before release, too.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
That's too bad. I've bought some games on the Epic store but for 95% of games, I'll wait for them to come to Steam.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I suspect you'll soon discover why the forums here appear to be so anti-EGS.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I'll wait for Steam or not buy at all. Thanks for the advice tho.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

In the modern era, digital PC platforms are actually quite like consoles with their own feature sets and unique advantages. If we take Steam for example there are countless features I use all the time that aren't available on EGS: cloud saves, screenshot library, Big Picture, Steam Link, etc. Obviously I prefer to play my games on a platform that has more quality of life features and will make purchasing decisions with that in mind.

There is also the whole monopoly concerns with EGS if they win this exclusivity war and are able to set any price they want, no reason for sales, etc.

This is just scratching the surface, search the forum for "just another launcher" for more info. But for the most part the problems revolve around lack of features and reduction in consumer choice.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Literally in a thread about epic failing TO do LITERALLY FUCKING ANYTHING AT ALL

"Ololol, ppl only hate epic cuz console wars"

Fuck off

Idc if i get banned for this, I'm tired of this bullshit

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

I'm already upset about publisher-exclusive PC stores like Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, etc for similar reasons. They make PC gaming worse. EGS is extending that already bad trend even further.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Buy, never question anything. Be a good, obediant walking wallet. Accept everything.

That's why people pay online paywalls today. I'm sure you do.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
They're... upset the games are exclusive because it doesn't offer many of the features that are found on the Steam platform that assist with many quality of life aspects of playing the game: Such as arbitrary controller support, which is a huge thing for me. While I do use DS4Windows, Steam offers honestly (in my opinion) better support than it for the games that are available on its said platform than having to use an external program to make use of it. Plus there's plenty of other controller support, including handling legacy DirectInput support and converting it to work like Xinput for modern games.

Plus there's a huge community support, feed back, steam overlay so you can quickly browse and search while playing the game...

And there's plenty more from that too.

That's why people are upset about exclusives. Plus, there's also the fact these deals targeted Kickstarters where guaranteed platforms were already offered to backers (usually made upfront at the start of the campaign, or made clearer as the game is set closer to release, with platforms offered in surveys). Sometimes right before release, too.
I get all that, but EGS will build those features out eventually. They might not exist today, sure, but Steam didn't have all those features when they first started either. Give them some time and EGS will build all those features in eventually.

I just don't see a world where EGS existing as another valid and popular platform won't benefit consumers. EGS and Steam will compete for customers and sales, resulting in lower prices and more choice. If we need to put up with a year of EGS having fewer features than Steam, then so be it. I think the long term benefits outweight the short term growing pains.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I get all that, but EGS will build those features out eventually. They might not exist today, sure, but Steam didn't have all those features when they first started either. Give them some time and EGS will build all those features in eventually.

I just don't see a world where EGS existing as another valid and popular platform won't benefit consumers. EGS and Steam will compete for customers and sales, resulting in lower prices and more choice. If we need to put up with a year of EGS having fewer features than Steam, then so be it. I think the long term benefits outweight the short term growing pains.
Which digital distribution industry standard features was Steam missing at launch?

When will Epic be implementing these features?

How is paying to get games removed from Steam helping Epic to improve their platform, rather than just removing alternative options?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

they literally will not build those features. and they're way behind on the extremely basic features they've said they would build (which is the point of this thread).

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
EGS has become a joke that goes on for to long. They need to take some of that exclusivity monies and invest it instead into the storefront. At this point it looks like Borderlands 3, a major GaaS game, will launch without achievements, cloud saves, party support, etc.

The Randy Pitchford tweets will be glorious.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Its just another launcher - check
Competition is good - check
EGS is new, it will get better - check
Steam was bad in 2004 - check
The savings will trickle down to customers - check

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019

comparing epic now to steam like, a solid decade ago is some hardcore goalpost moving. Am i supposed to wait until sweeney decides to kick more than a pittance in funding to the storefront development team in 2025 or something?

christ.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
There are some console exclusives coming to PC thanks to the EGS cut.

Downsides "aside", in my book that's a win.
You mean:
Journey - a game that was announced together with Flower, with also launched in Steam
The 3 Quantum Dream games - where the PR guy from Epic said they had nothing to do with them coming to PC, as well as containing forks for configuration for the Steam Controller
Tetris Effect - where you need to download Steam to use SteamVR, instead of using OpenVR ( which is practically the same, just needing to clean it up), pointing towards it being a late change.

Yeah, they "brought" them to PC.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I wish GoG Galaxy 2.0 wasn't still in beta, you can integrate the EGS stuff directly into GoG and it has a playtime counter! It also looks pretty. I cannot wait for the full release with more official integrations, never going back to individual clients if I don't have to.

Definitely gonna check that out, I signed up for the beta but no invite yet :(

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Steam didn't have those features because no one else did. They were pioneers. Epic arrived 15-16 years after Steam, so they need features expected today, not in 2003.

Plus Epic have shown no willingness to match Steam on features, or they'd be charging a higher store cut. They are, and always will, operate on a shoestring budget because their client is basically a downloader.

And exclusives don't drive prices down. They do the opposite as there's nowhere else to buy the games.

If Epic wanted to compete with Steam they'd provide a better service or a unique selling point that delights end users. Paying for exclusives just feels like they're trying to buy their way into a market where they haven't earned any trust or respect from the customer.

In fact, as far as competition goes, the only guys on PC giving Valve any legitimate competition is GOG. They've realised that the only way to beat Steam, or at least take a chunk off its large market share, is to challenge its ubiquity as a game launcher. That means they need to provide quality service.

Epic are going completely the wrong way about it, and generating a ton of a negativity in the process.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017

You understand you're a fanboy and are part of the problem, yes? You're literally ignoring all of the other posts, even ones between yours, that explain what the problem actually is and continue to try to hammer a point no one else is bringing up. All of this in a thread where people are pointing out promises made by this store that they haven't lived up to one iota that is literally making the gaming space on a platform worse by existing.

I'm all for all points being expressed, but this kind of situation just makes one tired. ><

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Let's not forget that Epic straight out publicly stated they have no interest in competing with Steam in terms of feature set.

But oh yeah, let's just wait until they get their shit together with bizarre, exotic features like a shopping cart and goddamned cloud saves.