• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
To get into safe mode, you have to plug the PS4 controller in and click the PS button. Problem is, since the ports dont work, when i click the PS button the controller blinks white once and nothing happens :( no other way to get into safe mode?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a can of compressed air to help dislodge any debris that might be in the ports?

Have you tried another USB cable?

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Are you sure you're not just using a bad wire/a wire that lacks a data connection?

BTW, usb wires that come with the Genesis mini and other mini consoles usually lack a data connection if that's what you're trying to use.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Last week I had to open up my PS4 and scrape the golden connector for the reset button to fix that fucker.

It worked. But man, the PS4 was not as sturdy as I thought it should be.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When the PS4 is on, can you power or charge a device through the ports? (like your phone) I'm just curious if the ports have power to them, or if it's the usb controller inside of the console and the system just can't communicate with the DS4.

Nov 14, 2017
none of them charge the controller either. I have to charge the controller byu plugging it into the USB wall socket
If you feel confident reflowing a SMD IC, I think you should be able to swap it pretty easily. I looked and apparently it's a GL3520. Dunno if there's variation between different models or whatever. Prob best to look at the mainboard and confirm.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Might be worth trying but from what I've googled some people have found that their usb ports stopped working because of dust build up in the ports. Might be unlikely but it's worth a shot to give them a clean.

Nov 14, 2017
soldering though, right?
All the chips are 'surface mounted devices', so to replace them you need to do reflow soldering. You can buy the replacement chip really cheap. I looked and could see packs of like 5 for $7. You can do it at home with a hot air gun - basically a tiny hairdryer.

If you have some old junk electronics, you can get some solder & sealant and practice on those before moving on to your PS4. I've never had to do it because I've never had an SMD break on me that I wanted to replace, but it looks fairly straightforward.