• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
So we all know some folks put butter in coffee and people thought that's weird until they realized it's just solidified fat anyhow, which is basically cream. Anyhow, that got me into trying other... more obscure additives to give coffee an edge.

I've tried strawberry jam, and am not a huge fan of it since it doesn't fully mix into the drink well.

But the one thing I've found that's actually good? Hot sauce. Put it in with cocoa powder and you get a spicy mocha which just wakes you up instantly. It's great and everyone should try it.

Oct 27, 2017
I use flavored sugar. I alternate between mango habanero sugar and key lime sugar. Makes coffee and tea taste pretty good.

The best idea
OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I have another one, pickles. I know it sounds weird, but I really think the mixture of vinegar they put in the coffee, as well as the slightly bitter taste they absorb while sitting in it enhances the flavor of both equally. Would def recommend anyone try it.

I'm talking thicker slightly crunchy slices, not the super mushy ones.

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Salt does a great job at killing the bitterness.

I add Stevia as the superior sugar alternative

Stevia is pretty normal as far as sweeteners go IMO (though I do like it).

Why would you kill the bitterness though, that's the whole point!

I do sometimes put tea leaves in mine, then when I finish the drink you can squeeze a few more drops of concentrated cofftea out of them, and if you do it correctly the leaves end up as a wet treat you can swallow down. A true delicacy.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
You used to be able to find Amaretto flavored coffee creamer. Now it is rare. I haven't seen it in any store in ages and ages. And I miss it. Yeah I could buy some amaretto liquor but I'm not much into alcohol.

(apparently walmart has it but we don't have any near me. It's never at target, walgreens or safeway)

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Also, not thrle same thing, but I like to fill the empty coffee cup with coca-cola when I'm finished with it. The left over essence of the coffee and the roasted flavor pairs nicely with the soda.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really unusual, but a few months ago I had cinnamon in my coffee for the first time (and splenda and almond milk). Complete game changer.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Hot sauce IN coffee sounds weird to me, but every time I've ever put habanero sauce on my eggs my black coffee tastes so much better. You're probably onto something there. I've gotta try the cacao thing too.

edit - to add to the discussion, I put salt in crappy drip coffee to take the bitter edge off of it.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
Compared to other liqueurs and spirits, it may be a bit more non-traditional, but y'all can be the judges--Tempus Fugit Crème De Cacao.

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I tried something I thought would be awful but it actually seriously works. Pulled Pork.

I know, you're probably thinking that's weird but i had a particularly fatty bit I made 2 or 3 days ago, and I figured that people rub ground coffee on pork roast, so why not try adding pork to coffe. And honestly? It was good. I think the fat in it melts off from the boiling water and acts as a similar agent to butter/cream does, and the earthy flavors of the pork itself match the bitter flavor of my dark roast.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
At the rate OP is going with these experiments, they'll add human remains to coffee by evening.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I was zero years old when I learned that people put butter... butter in their coffee. Wut!?

Also while I am big coffee drinker, I have never taken the time to brew it. I have always relied on instant coffee. To that end:

Medium: Milk (half chocolate, half regular) instead of water
Additives: Hot Coco and/or honey

Put it in a blender et voila!

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really unusual, but a few months ago I had cinnamon in my coffee for the first time (and splenda and almond milk). Complete game changer.
I tried that once, just cinnamon though. It was ok, but not something I see myself really doing again.

A lot of these other ones though? Pickles? Butter? Pulled pork? I'll stick to drinking it black like God intended, thank you.

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I just remembered another I tried once: Dried seaweed. It ends up adding a level of salt like other folks recommend, but makes you feel like you're having miso soup.

It's been a few weeks since I had that though since I ran out of seaweed :(

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Cayenne pepper I had once and enjoyed. Other than that it has only been alcohol stuff.

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Today I put uncooked rice in it, and let it soak in for a good bit of time. The warm water actually helps cook it and you end up with a coffee flavored horchata type of drink.