• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
You're taking this far too seriously.
Uh, maybe? I don't think it's that serious, obviously these associations are not completely voluntary, and they pretty benign usually - But I also think these emotions are also what drives some of the vitriol online when it comes to series being on the "wrong platforms". So I find it helpful to remind myself and others why we have these associations and that marketing is a huge part of it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sega games on a Nintendo console.
I remember playing Sonic on GCN and getting the feeling that i was doing something really wrong and forbiden.

I got this a lot with GameCube ports honestly. Coming from the N64, that had middling third party support at best, it felt weird playing some of these games.

Sonic Adventure
Splinter Cell
Metal Gear Solid
Medal of Honor
Crazy Taxi
etc

Great time to be a Nintendo gamer though.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This is an interesting question

Things like Yakuza and the like felt a little funny on Xbox at first, but once you're playing it's absolutely inconsequential. It's easy to forget Xbox very much has the DNA of Sega.

HuuaCwcKuiEnqepZjxDXXTKn4RPSWhTQ9N3Cst9WBuqMrXkVCmugskCufwJHS6L3FVx

There's some titles like Metal Gear Solid, Spyro, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Persona, Silent Hill that are so PlayStation that I can't imagine them having anything but a Dualshock. What's super interesting is I wouldn't bat an eyelash at HZD or Uncharted hitting Steam.

As for titles that feel most at home on Xbox, I'd say things like Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Cuphead, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell (and to a mild extent Call of Duty) really established themself on there.

There's some that feel completely device agnostic now, I'd say Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Minecraft, Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter, Grand Theft Auto don't really raise an eyebrow on whatever platform they choose now.

But of course more good games should be available to everyone and it's a generational thing.

Thanks, that's a very reasonable post. I just wonder if 'feeling wrong' ever ends. Metal Gear Solid has been on Xbox for a long time now, bar IV. For Final Fantasy, this has been true for more than 10 years. In case of Mass Effect, it's the same with Playstation consoles as every game since ME2 has been on Sony's device with the trilogy even coming later. I do get that distant childhood memories define us strongly, but things should just move on at some point.

And while human feelings are an okay thing to have, you will find many people in the respective threads saying stuff like "Sony's brand is losing value due to Horizon Zero Dawn going to PC or Yakuza going to Xbox or Mass Effect coming to Playstation", so this is always a fine line. Likewise, as I argued in the other thread I linked a few pages back, nostalgia should never defend timed-exclusivity (which should never be defended anyways, but you just need to accept its part of the industry).

Last edited:

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
People finding games on a platform wrong? Yeah, it's problematic, it's internalizing all the PR and marketing bullshit. But I guess it's to be expected - This is why platform holders spend money on marketing exclusivity or other marketing deals, they want you to intuitively associate the game with the platform.
Its also related to people thinking each console has it's own inherent personality when it comes to games that SHOULD be on it. Like Xbox being associated with shooters - It's of course also just marketing. It's a way to humanize essentially identical pieces of hardware by making them seem like they have an identity, which can be part of your identity.

Exclusives matter just as much as multiplats. Also they give consoles their identity and it's why Sony and Nintendo are always dominating the charts

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I don't know why but Splinter Cell always felt like an Xbox exclusive back in the day. I guess because it was the "superior" version?

Jul 4, 2018
Thanks, that's a very reasonable post. I just wonder if 'feeling wrong' ever ends. Metal Gear Solid has been on Xbox for a long time now, bar IV. For Final Fantasy, this has been true for more than 10 years. In case of Mass Effect, it's the same with Playstation consoles as every game since ME2 has been on Sony's device. I do get that distant childhood memories define us strongly, but things should just move on at some point.

And while human feelings are an okay thing to have, you will find many people in the respective threads saying stuff like "Sony's brand is losing value due to Horizon Zero Dawn going to PC or Yakuza going to Xbox or Mass Effect coming to Playstation", so this is always a fine line.

Absolutely agreed, but that's the psychological power of the ecosystem! That's why some people barf at Android/Windows because they are tuned to all the different nuances of Apple gear.

When you're playing a game it's very hard not to link your memories of it with the controller, the button prompts, the boot up screen, maybe you were going in and out of the dashboard at the time, you had friends on that platform etc.

The PS1 had such a unique feel to it that it can be hard for some people to detach their memories of Crash Bandicoot away from the old days of the Dualshock and warped textures. Japanese games on the system are the same as Sony naturally crafted an ecosystem for that demographic of developers and gamers.

The same goes for the Xbox as well, quite specifically western franchises and formerly PC franchises that really resonated with the demographic. I know that if a KOTOR remake were to come out, I'd preferably play it with an Xbox controller. There's also plenty of Xbox Live Arcade and multiplayer games that people will always associate with the early days of Xbox Live, which truly felt ahead of it's time, in comparison to PSN which felt lonelier and less vibrant.

Just these two vids here will inevitably provoke memories of certain games for nearly every user on this board, and there's not even any gameplay:

In terms of availability, games should absolutely be device agnostic where possible, but people will associate their music with Apple Music, or their multimedia with Amazon Fire TV. So when people say things like "God I can only play Fortnite on my iPad" it's weird but, I get it. When people are wishing for games to not be on other platforms, that's where we have a problem.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are also two games that came out for the Nintendo 64 that feel weird but are interesting. Wipeout 64 when it came out for the N64 was crazy because the first two Wipeout games came out on the PlayStation. Also a year later Wipeout 3 came out in PlayStation in 1999 and all subsequent Wipeout games came out for PlayStation consoles and devices. I wonder how and why there was a Wipeout game on N64 at the time because Sony owned Psygnosis at the time.

Another game that came out the N64 is Resident Evil 2. That game is great port and technical achievement on the N64 due to it being on a cartridge. Digital Foundry Retro covered the many ports of Resident Evil 2.

www.google.com

DF Retro: why Resident Evil 2 on N64 is one of the most ambitious console ports of all time

With game-makers and publishers building almost all of their games with multiple console platforms in mind, it's worth …
You just reminded me that I owned wipeout for the n64

Apr 26, 2020
I watched my brother play MGS 2 and MGS 4 so finally being able to play MGS 3 for myself was super exciting ..... having this box is weird tho.

It ran at 20fps (Like Peace Walker on PSP) but I enjoyed my time immensely with it... at the same time MGS has a weird history with Nintendo consoles....MGS ghost babel and the twin snakes, anyone? Also freaking Snake in Smash Bros.

hqdefault.jpg

643045.jpg

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
- Resident Evil and Sonics on Nintendo consoles. Strangely enough I thought Sonic on GBA wasn't weird at all?!

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Playing any Tony Hawk game on a non playstation controller is just wrong
(i completed Underground on Xbox, the Duke itself multiple times and i don't know why)

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
The Phoenix Wright series anywhere outside the DS or 3DS. The first three weren't even originally built for dual screens but it's stlll a little jarring to see modern ports of these games.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 2 on PC because it was a horrible port, and I remember there being weird controls due to no pressure sensitive buttons.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why but Splinter Cell always felt like an Xbox exclusive back in the day. I guess because it was the "superior" version?

It launched on Xbox and didn't come to other platforms till about six months after release. Six months doesn't sound long but it was heavily marketed as an Xbox game and as the Xbox's answer to Metal Gear Solid.

Was definitely associated with the Xbox brand in the same way that something like Wipeout or Tomb Raider was PlayStation despite them also releasing on Saturn.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doom Eternal on consoles

It's just meant to be played on PC with a mouse and keyboard. Even though its playable with a controller.

Ive never understand people saying keyboard and mouse is superior. Controllers are so much more intuitive and aiming feels much bette4 due to lack of twitchiness you get with mouse. I understand K&B offers a higher level of precision competitively but if everyones playjng with controller that doesnt matter.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
A few years ago, my wife got me a Sega Saturn for my birthday. One of the games the seller included was Tomb Raider.
That was a franchise I always equated with the PS1. The controls felt like they were designed with those 4 shoulder buttons in mind, so seeing it on another system with such a different pad was really bizarre.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never understand people saying keyboard and mouse is superior. Controllers are so much more intuitive and aiming feels much bette4 due to lack of twitchiness you get with mouse. I understand K&B offers a higher level of precision competitively but if everyones playjng with controller that doesnt matter.
I'm pretty great with a keyboard and mouse in Excel. I can't imagine using a controller instead. But when I get home I want to unwind, and the last thing I want to do is get into the same position I just spent 10 hours in.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Shenmue 3 being console exclusive to PS4, after the way Sony laughed and jeered at Sega leaving the console market.

Otherwise, there's usually a slightly illicit thrill about playing games on platforms they're not "supposed" to be on.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
Usually series that have a long history on one console before coming to others.

The best examples I can think of are Crash and Sonic. THIS right here would be an abomination some decades back:

Mario_and_Sonic_at_the_Olympic_Games_box_art.png

Last edited:

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Persona, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts on anything but Playstation just feels gross.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. Games are Games. Everything else is marketing nonsense.

Playing stuff like Stellaris or Baldur's Gate with a controller feels a bit weird, but hey. It's cool that that's possible.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Any of the Capcom 5. Of course there were only actually 4, one was a dud, and two were niche. Soooo RE4.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
"Man, my blind brand loyalty has a really tough time accepting the fact that a game I love is also available on another platform for more people to enjoy. Just feels icky."

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Platforming warring, recent bans for same behaviour
All the Playstation exclusives feel even off to me on the original console, can't put my finger exactly why on it.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Man, my blind brand loyalty has a really tough time accepting the fact that a game I love is also available on another platform for more people to enjoy. Just feels icky."

To be fair it feeling wrong doesn't mean anyone is saying it shouldn't be a thing. Just that they strongly asociate that game or franchise with a certain console. There's also things like Tomb Raider being timed exclusive on Xbox One. Nobody's saying Tomb Raider shouldn't be on Xbox at all but exclusive!?! Of course it should be multiplatform but of all choices Xbox was definitely the weirder one.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I get this, there's some franchises I just associate with a certain console and prefer to play them there....unless the port is drastically inferior.

Assassins Creed - Xbox
Resident Evil - PlayStation
Final Fantasy - PlayStation
Ghost Recon/R6 - Xbox

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I get this, there's some franchises I just associate with a certain console and prefer to play them there....unless the port is drastically inferior.

Assassins Creed - Xbox
Resident Evil - PlayStation
Final Fantasy - PlayStation
Ghost Recon/R6 - Xbox

I associate classic FF (1 to 6) with Nintendo and "New" (7 Onward) FF with Sony lol.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Playing Metal Gear Solid and Grand Theft Auto games without a Playstation Controller will always feel odd to me. If I play a game on PC with my DS4 and it has a mod, which some games are doing for you now thankfully, that replaces the button prompts in-game then sign me up for that too.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
While I do tend to more strongly associate some franchises with certain hardware vendors (ie: FF with PlayStation, DQ with Nintendo, etc) I don't think anything feels "weird" on anything really. Last time you could really make a case for that was way back when Sonic came to Gamecube.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Wonderful 101. Certain parts of the game actually feel like tributes to nintendo. Even in the Iwata interview with Kamiya about the development of the game, Kamiya gushed over his love of nintendo and how that influenced the game so much and how it would never have had so much content without Nintendo's backing, including using multiple unite morphs at once which was a late addition to the game thanks to nintendo extending the development time. It seems like the game exists largely because of Nintendo and now it's multiplatform.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Crash Bandicoot on anything that isn't a PC is weird to me. I know he was never 1st party and his games have been on non Playstation platforms for about 19 years now, but he was always the face of the brand.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Playing Kingdom Hearts 3 and seeing the reaction commands as the Y button on Xbox did feel weird at first. Always think of them as a Triangle move.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
It launched on Xbox and didn't come to other platforms till about six months after release. Six months doesn't sound long but it was heavily marketed as an Xbox game and as the Xbox's answer to Metal Gear Solid.

Was definitely associated with the Xbox brand in the same way that something like Wipeout or Tomb Raider was PlayStation despite them also releasing on Saturn.

And as far as I know conviction is still xboc and pc exclusive, or did they eventually make a ps3 port?

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
This doesn't really resonate these days but, as a Dreamcast kid, seeing Sonic Adventure on GameCube was so damn weird