• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Crash Bandicoot for sure. It hasn't been exclusive for a long time now, but he's still the closest we ever got to PlayStation's Mario.

Ace Attorney games on non-DS devices feels weird, too, even though mobile is arguably the ideal device for that type of game.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Playing FF XIII on the Xbox 360

A FF game on the Xbox? What?

Felt weeeird

I mean, the whole announcement brought that old site to its knees.

So I dont think that I was alone

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I recently started the Ace Attorney Trilogy on the Switch, and it feels weird playing these games with something that doesn't have dual screens. Even though they were technically originally GBA games, the UI just made so much sense with two screens to me, and I've played every Ace Attorney from the first game up through Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 on a DS family system. I remember way back in like 2009-2010 when people were in speculation mode about a DS successor and talking about the possibility of something that was single screen, I objected to it under the condition that stuff like AA and Etrian Odyssey just wouldn't work. I don't really feel the same way today but I think there was at least something to the idea that something feels lost.

Nov 8, 2017
I feel like this is mostly going to be a thread of Sony associated properties, because the Playstation brand is very strongly associated with specific third parties that were once exclusive but went multiplat in the PS3/360/Wii era.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I reject this concept. I believe in a world where I can play any game on my platform of choice. I'm reluctantly buying both PS5 and XBox Series X so that I have choices to play all the games. Similarly, I bought a Switch only because I wanted to play Mario and Zelda. I despise Nintendo's hardware.

To play along, I guess if WOW came to a console, it would feel weird. Not wrong, but weird. I heard they are adding controller support in the new expansion pack. It sounds like this could be a possible pre-cursor.

Oct 25, 2017
I recently started the Ace Attorney Trilogy on the Switch, and it feels weird playing these games with something that doesn't have dual screens. Even though they were technically originally GBA games, the UI just made so much sense with two screens to me, and I've played every Ace Attorney from the first game up through Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 on a DS family system. I remember way back in like 2009-2010 when people were in speculation mode about a DS successor and talking about the possibility of something that was single screen, I objected to it under the condition that stuff like AA and Etrian Odyssey just wouldn't work. I don't really feel the same way today but I think there was at least something to the idea that something feels lost.
I can relate. Not to say it wasn't liked then, but hopefully people grow to appreciate what we lost moving on from dual screens. Like, that WAS it and we definitely lost some things.

II believe in a world where I can play any game on my platform of choice.
That's ... a quote.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Heroes and Shadow felt wrong on not-Gamecube for some reason.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
The closes I ever got to feeling this way is with the Crash N. Sane Trilogy on Xbox One. They are remakes sure but it's still the first 3 Crash games officially running on a non Sony console.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm definitely not Playstation/Xbox/PC as they pretty much share all 3rd party games now.

Non exlusives that would feel wrong on a console: err....a full fledged Final Fantasy with cutting edge graphics and lots of CG cutscenes on a Nintendo console? *runs*

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I've always associated Metal Gear, Resident Evil, and GTA as PlayStation kind of games, so it's weird playing any of them on another console.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I haven't played it yet, but I think the Super Mario 64 PC Port is surely the winner here.

I know it's not official. I know PCs have played the game via emulation for decades. But there's something particularly striking about it running natively on PC Hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing OG FF VII on Nintendo and Xbox. Sure, it got ported to PC way back in 1998 already, but seeing it on non-Sony consoles is just strange, haha.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I thought Dark Souls would be a little weird on Xbox but replayed 3 recently and had a brilliant time with it.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I can't help but feel this is such an old, conservative way of thinking. One of my friends (who's a PC-player) thinks FIFA doesn't belong on the PC-platform because it has always been a console-centered game, and I just don't know what to say.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I was exposed to this phenomenon all the way back in the snes/genesis era when Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Megaman X showed up on PC. The trend would continue with Megaman X3 and 4, Legends 1 and 2, Final Fantasy 7 and 8 and even Metal Gear Solid.

That conditioned me from an early age to not even bat an eye when this kind of stuff happens. The more platforms, the merrier.

This trend would suddenly almost disappear during the PS2 and early to mid PS3 generations, but as far as I'm concerned the current third party landscape is a return to normalcy.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the idea of a game from one platform being available on another makes you feel weird, probably time to have a word with yourself.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Bayonetta on anything other than the Wii U
Streets of Rage on anything other than the Master System
Street Fighter II versions that aren't the Game Boy one
Any Rayman version that isn't the one on DSiWare
Non-3DO Alone in the Dark
Any Resident Evil 4 version besides the one in the Zeebo

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Sonic being on PlayStation, Xbox and maybe especially Nintendo consoles was pretty weird back in the day.

The Persona 4 Arena games being on Xbox 360 seems pretty weird to this day. Not against it, just unusual having a spin off but not the actual game there.

The weirdest thing I have come across for personally is MGSV. Not the platforms the game was on but if you booted it up on PS4 the bulletin that popped up would mention the other versions recent fixes (Xbone or PC) as well. Just felt weird.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
That's an odd feeling to have IMO. I'm a big Sega fan and was excited when they went 3rd party. To me, only the games matter, platforms should cease to exist.
Yeah I'm in this boat, I never had any affiliation to any console so playing any game anywhere just felt like playing a game. And that's after owning 200 mega drive games and 150 xbox 360 games.

It won't feel weird playing play horizon zero dawn on pc and it didn't feel weird play all the fight games that were exclusive like tekken on pc.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: ah, well. It seems I overlooked the huge text about ports being fine.

In that case, I don't think I've really had this feeling before. Idk.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Playing Splinter Cell on GameCube always felt weiiiird to me. It's where I played it but, damn, it basically felt like an Xbox game.

See also, playing RE4 on PS2. Felt naughty.
See, Resident Evil 4 on PS2 feels right to me, it was the RE4 gamecube exclusivity that felt wrong to me, probably just because of Nintendo of Americas formerly narrow focus, and I loved the Gamecube. That's where I played and loved RE4 and Eternal Darkness, but it still seemed a bit odd. Fatal Frame also seemed odd on Gamecube.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Dead or Alive on Playstation again.

Not so much as it should have stayed exclusive, but the series quality was better before it went back to multi-platform in the hands of Koei

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Pretty much anything that was exclusive at one point in it's life, but the series became multiplat later in life. I mean it doesn't really matter if you weren't around or interested in the game when it was exclusive, but if you were it certainly feels weird seeing it elsewhere. Recently, seeing Yakuza 7 in the Xbox Showcase was so freaking weird. I know Zero just came to game pass, and older ones have been on Pc for a while, but it was a PlayStation exclusive for such a damn long time, it's gonna take years before I stop seeing it as an exclusive series.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I still have a hard time playing Resident Evil 4 with anything other than a Gamecube controller

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Spyro and Crash Bandicoot on non-Sony platforms. It's just.. weird. Both of them were basically the mascots of the brand at one point. So weird that I got both on PC and I stopped playing them because my brain doesn't understand that you don't need a Dualshock/Playstation to play them now.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
Final Fantasy

Kingdom Hearts

Monster Hunter

on non PS systems is always a no from me.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
It's a little weird for me to play games I'm used to playing with m/kb with a controller (like, isometric RPGs, Diablo etc.) - But it's doesn't "feel wrong". I don't quite get the sentiment of a game "feeling wrong" on a platform.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It's a little weird for me to play games I'm used to playing with m/kb with a controller (like, isometric RPGs, Diablo etc.) - But it's doesn't "feel wrong". I don't quite get the sentiment of a game "feeling wrong" on a platform.

And yet a lot of people in the thread seem to agree. I find it a bit problematic.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy games on Nintendo consoles. Yes, I'm aware of the irony (and it's stupid) but it just feels wrong lol. That series is synonymous with PlayStation to me.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
And yet a lot of people in the thread seem to agree. I find it a bit problematic.
People finding games on a platform wrong? Yeah, it's problematic, it's internalizing all the PR and marketing bullshit. But I guess it's to be expected - This is why platform holders spend money on marketing exclusivity or other marketing deals, they want you to intuitively associate the game with the platform.
Its also related to people thinking each console has it's own inherent personality when it comes to games that SHOULD be on it. Like Xbox being associated with shooters - It's of course also just marketing. It's a way to humanize essentially identical pieces of hardware by making them seem like they have an identity, which can be part of your identity.

Last edited:

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I think a few people are taking this thread in the wrong way. I think everyone has certain games that "feel wrong" on other platforms is not supposed to be a bad thing, like fanboy stuff or anything. Just a simple weird feeling to some. For me, I've always associated Metal Gear with the Playstation brand over the years, so when I play Phantom Pain on my Xbox One, it just feels weird in a simple, non-fanboy way. I still have more hours on my Xbox version than the PS4 version, just an oddity compared to all the past MGS releases that have been exclusively on a Sony console. This can all feel weird with certain games for people and the same people still want games on every platform for better availability for everyone.

Jul 4, 2018
This is an interesting question

Things like Yakuza and the like felt a little funny on Xbox at first, but once you're playing it's absolutely inconsequential. It's easy to forget Xbox very much has the DNA of Sega.

HuuaCwcKuiEnqepZjxDXXTKn4RPSWhTQ9N3Cst9WBuqMrXkVCmugskCufwJHS6L3FVx

There's some titles like Metal Gear Solid, Spyro, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Persona, Silent Hill that are so PlayStation that I can't imagine them having anything but a Dualshock. What's super interesting is I wouldn't bat an eyelash at HZD or Uncharted hitting Steam.

As for titles that feel most at home on Xbox, I'd say things like Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Cuphead, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell (and to a mild extent Call of Duty) really established themself on there.

There's some that feel completely device agnostic now, I'd say Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Minecraft, Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter, Grand Theft Auto don't really raise an eyebrow on whatever platform they choose now.

But of course more good games should be available to everyone and it's a generational thing.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
People finding games on a platform wrong? Yeah, it's problematic, it's internalizing all the PR and marketing bullshit. But I guess it's to be expected - This is why platform holders spend money on marketing exclusivity or other marketing deals, they want you to intuitively associate the game with the platform.

You're taking this far too seriously.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I guess those weird demakes that the 3ds kept getting. I grew up with Donkey Kong Land 2 so I understand their purpose, but still, in these cases it feels weird because unlike the DKL series they aren't new levels in a similar aesthetic, but the same games with extra levels and features, so these titles ended up not having a definitive version, for now.
maxresdefault.jpg

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
999 kinda needs the effect a dual screen platform like the ds or 3ds can provide for its story to make the most sense. there are compromises to the game's design that i don't think are worth it on other platforms.

i also tie a lot of memories of skies of arcadia to dreamcast. the beep on startup and the constant whirring of the console itself is inseparable from my memories playing it.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Many people here seem to forget how our brains work.

It's not something you "want to" feel, it just happens. I don't want to associate a couple of absolutely wonderful songs to a shitty ex of mine but my brain does and I can't help it. And whenever I listen to a specific album I can seriously see WoW's Outland in detail in my mind. Enemy placements, where I used to fly, my daily routines in those zones. It's freaky!

So if people happen to have strong associations between a game and a platform for any reason, it can probably feel "wrong" (the word isn't used in a serious manner here) for them to see it/play it on a different platform.
These are not the same people screaming about exclusives going multiplat. Saying that this is console warring is pretty much as logical as claiming that because you play games you are a Gamer™. It's not even close.

Anyway!
I don't remember many cases of this but I have to second the one mentioning the Steam page for Horizon Zero Dawn. I've been a PC player all my life and 90% of what I play is on PC, but I have bought most of the consoles too during the past four generations. HZD is one of my fav games of all time and seeing it on Steam is bizarre. I'm gonna play it with an Xbox Elite controller and it will be glorious thanks to the paddles, but I expect it to feel "wrong" for a while :D